• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc The Amitriptyline Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems to take about 2-3 hours for the effects to peak.

note that you need to be careful when pushing your dose on this stuff, as the theraputic and toxic doses are pretty close, similar to barbiturates.

It's been over 3 hours for my first 25mg and over an hour for my second pill. Still not feeling anything, so I took a promethazine with it to see if that'll help me sleep.

EDIT: 4 hours now and still nothing at a 50mg dose. Does this stuff have to build up in your system for a while before it starts affecting you?

Last edited:
^ The promethazine and amitriptyline isn't knocking you out?

Maybe you are an elephant?

Hey my experience with Ami is VERY hit and miss. The first time I tried it (25mg) it knocked me on my ass as described, but ONLY after I took my dilaudid (my doc perscribed it as a potentiator). Since then, ive only had it affect me like that a few times, even after being upped to 50mg.

I've taken it almost every night for the last 3 months and i've only noticed it's effects a handful of times, the other nights I felt nothing, so it either hits hard or not at all (usually not).

I've tried taking it at all sorts of intervals before the dilaudid but i can't reproduce a consistent result.

I love it when it works, but lord knows the magic trick I need to do to GET it to work!

Hey does anyone know if ami would be safe to inject?

I noticed that when I tried sublingual admin it numbed the underside of my tongue something fierce, and it actually left residual pain there for a few days, so I'm wary to try without some sort of educated opinion...

^ It's water soluble, and it has been tested as an IV antidepressant and can be used via IM/IV in hospitals.

Though if you are getting it from a pill, probably not a great idea.

I ended up taking 75mg amitriptyline and 25mg phenegren last night and it did nothing to me. I took 25mg ami and 25mg phene today an hour before my methadone dose, and it's not potentiating it at all.

Took a 25mg ami and a 25mg phene before my dose today and it didn't do shit. If anything, it made the dose less intense and last a shorter amount of time.

Yes, naturally my ami comes in pill form.

So the typical crush/dissolve/draw through cotton isn't a good idea with this drug? What makes it different from, say, the dilaudid I IV?

i take 100mg ami right before i go to bed. usually just knocks me out, but for me it does this wierd thing if i take it after i've been up 2 or 3 nights - i had severe hallucinations the entire night. woke up next morning still having them!

Tried to IV Amitrip...

First I used a nail file to remove all traces of the blue "candy coated" shell. Then I crushed up the pill (25mg) and sprinkled maybe an eighth of it into 100cc's of filtered water.

After a good stirring, I sucked up the solution through a nice, dense piece of cotton into a syringe.

Unfortunately, the solution was very cloudy (I work under the general assumption that if its not clear you shouldn't bang it).

I emptied the solution into a clean spoon, washed out the syringe and drew it up a second time through a new piece of cotton (a good, clean double filtering).

The resulting solution was still very milky so I decided not to risk it.

If it were clear, I was willing to take the chance to IV a small amount of Ami... But not a cloudy mix.

Am I right to assume that injecting a cloudy solution is generally a bad idea? Or can it be safe?

It would be nice to find someone who's already tried it!

I have mild Fibromyalgia and severe chronic pain due to Scheuermann's Disease (scoliosis and kyphosis), and I get a few strips of generic yellow 25mg Amitriptalyne from someone every month. They increase the sedative effects of my OxyContin (yes we still have old-style OC's here =D) and hypnotic benzo's like Temazepam or Midazolam.

A good addittion to someone's stash IMHO. :)

-- Peace o/

When do you take the ami, before or after the opiates? I can't nail down consistent results.

So people actually inject anti-depressants? Anyone care to inform me why injecting anti-depressants is appealing to others?

My doctor (and apparently others as well) also prescribe ami as an opiate potentiator. In fact I didn't even know it was perscribed as an anti depressant until I did a little research about it!

The reason I want to try injecting it is because the way the drug affects me seems almost random. There are days I take one, 25mg pill before my dilaudid and it nods me all the way to china.

On the other hand, there are days like today when i've taken FOUR 25mg pills shortly before my opiates and now, 2 hours later, I hardly feel a thing.

Most days I don't feel anything. I've been trying to work out the best routine and have tried multiple dosages, taking it on an empty or full stomach, as well as changing WHEN I take it from 2 hours prior to opiates up to at the same time and I cannot find a way to get regular results.

I figured if I IV it, it would be a pure, direct to the bloodstream shot, and by removing all the other mitigating circumstances I would know exactly how the drug feels/affects me from a baseline standpoint.

But like i said, the solution ends up being cloudy and I don't feel comfortable injecting a crushed up pill unless I get a clear solution.

imo there's nothing remotely recreational about amitriptyline. am on methadone for chronic pain (RA, multiple compression fractures, yada yada...) and 25-50 mg amitriptyline definitely helps me get restful restorative sleep. i don't think it really potentiates anything though.

i've run out and thought no big deal but it has caused slight withdrawal, mostly poor sleep, maybe a slight increase in anxiety but i never noticed any w/d until after i had used it for 2-3 years.
in the pre-ssri days it was pretty commonly used for depression at doses of 150-300mgs. made me irritable as hell at that dose cuz i was tired as shit, dry as a desert, and tossed it in the garbage after a week.
at least it didn't get me a ride to the bin like that fuckin' paxil did...
nevermind ;)
-izzy

So last night at around 8pm i took 100mg (4 25mg pills) at about 9pm, shortly followed up by my regular dosage of 16mg dilaudid (injected).

It was a normal session, meaning that the ami didn't have any effect.

An hour or two later I could clearly feel mild effects of the ami - it had no real result, other than to show me that it took nearly 3 hours to do anything.

At 2am I took another 100mg ami, and a half hour later began my final dilaudid session (I usually dissolve my 16mg in enough water to make 4 injection, and I space them out by about 15 or 20 mins).

By the time I got to my second injection, the Ami has kicked in and furiously potentiated my nods. I mean i was pretty much a fucking zombie! At one point I loaded the syrine, stuck it in to register and the next thing I know I have a sudden "wake up jerk" and the needle falls to the floor, still full.

This nod started at maybe 3am and at some point i sat down on the couch, and next thing I know it was 8am! I don't remember very much.

I walked into the kitchen and saw my dilaudid spoon was still mostly full! I nodded so hard I forgot about my drugs :) even at that point I was still so disoriented that I didn't manage to finish the remaining 2 shots until almost 10am!

This was absolutely a result of the amitrip, so I can verify (again) that ami does indeed potentiate, the only trouble I have is consistency - I could (and have) repeat the exact steps from last night and chances are nothing will happen.

One thing I learned is that 200mg in one night was way too much - the nod was so strong I couldn't really appreciate it! Next time I'll try it at 150mg, that seems to be a good target based on what happened last night..,

I think doses over 100mg wont does not have the sediating effect, its one of those old school tricyclic's.

I wonder if it would potieniate suboxone?

so i was given this to help with my depression and anxiety as the doctor thinks my nerve/muscle pain in my legs is due a mental condition rather than accepting its not my head playing tricks on me.
the doctor claims that depression is making me feel the pain in my legs upto 3 times more than if i was happy...
i think hes full of shit to be honest, i've had the same pain even when i was happy and fine mentally for months on end.

he insisted it would help with my anxiety and depression so i wouldn't feel my pain as much and also mentioned it would help me sleep like nothing else.

i asked if the sedation was due to an antihistamine effect a few times and he clearly said no everytime.

so im curious, what causes the sedative effect in this drug?
i'm really only depressed because of the pain in my legs which has stopped me from working for the past 6 months, if i could get a proper diagnosis and some pain meds i would be good as new...

it would be good to hear others thoughts if they were in a similar situation...
does it actually help with anxiety and depression at doses of 25-50mg?

Status
Not open for further replies.