• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Tapering off heroin?

I'm not being preachy by the way. I'm an alcoholic and the "Christmas gift" of a litre of whisky has gone down well despite booze almost killing me 6 times in my 29 years of life, wrecking my education and wrecking any relationships I've had, leaving me a shell of a person. The best Christmas present you could get would be abstinence.

Shadow - Mate you are doing so well! Keep it up man, there are a lot of people here that want to see you come out of this for the better (Clean). It is gut-wrteching being an older addict reading your posts because many if not all of us that are further down the road in Addiction that wish that when they were in your shoes that they listened to the advice coming your way....if only.

This is your best chance mate, you can do this!!!!! Actually you ARE doing this, so well done man!!!!

Woke up at 4am, i guess when the Etizolam wore off, and damn I'm craving just a single use right now. How detrimental would one single use be? Just just for old time's sake. Would I be back back at day one of withdrawals again?

Shadow you have to acknowledge the power of this drug by now. What else in your life has the power to consume your thoughts like this? Do you really want to set yourself back like this? You have got to realize that using in any form is going to fuck you up. Say it out loud man, NO MORE! No chipping. No I'm only going to use one more time. Discard your dope and move on with your once successful life.

Shadow you have to acknowledge the power of this drug by now. What else in your life has the power to consume your thoughts like this? Do you really want to set yourself back like this? You have got to realize that using in any form is going to fuck you up. Say it out loud man, NO MORE! No chipping. No I'm only going to use one more time. Discard your dope and move on with your once successful life.
That's just the thing, though. I started using because I wasnt happy with life, and heroin provide that happiness. Life sucks, but heroin only sucks sometimes. It's kind of like delaying/compounding life's shittiness and being happy until I have to eventually pay the debt for all the shittiness i got of while using.

That's just the thing, though. I started using because I wasnt happy with life, and heroin provide that happiness. Life sucks, but heroin only sucks sometimes. It's kind of like delaying/compounding life's shittiness and being happy until I have to eventually pay the debt for all the shittiness i got of while using.

Believe me I understand. Heroin is just not the key to happiness though man. You're so young and have so much potential and you are teetering on throwing it away. Life will pass you by. There are so many long time users here that have tried to tell you. Have you read the addiction stories at the top of the forum? Have you noticed that some of the people posting those stories have since died at a young age? We all like to get high but it shouldn't be with a drug that cost you everything including the very breath you take.

I really wouldn't be suggesting people to go on methadone like its candy ... Methadone should be LAST RESORT LIFE SAVING MAINTENANCE DRUG I think you should try everything before having to resort to that. It should be as a "fuck I'm gonna die absolutely nothing else works not subs , not tapering , not codeine/hydro taper, not Kratom , not loperamide , or cold turkey . Only after that try methadone ...
I also agree with this 100%.
Methadone is a very powerful Narcotic that can give a WD that's worse than H WD.

I tried lots of things to get off dope before getting on Methadone.
Hydrocodone and Oxycodone wouldn't touch me unless I dose 200mg+ in a single dose, and that's just to feel well. Who the fuck can afford that?
I also tried low doses of Hydrocodone with Benzodiazepines, Xanax, Klonopin, and Valium. I had all 3. Valium helped the most out of the 3 in equivalent doses.
But that still wasn't enough, I just couldn't get well with ANYTHING besides smoking more dope.
My withdrawal was Bad. 2+ years straight of using 80mg to 120mg daily of Hydrocodone, + 3 years straight of using 120mg to 200mg daily of Oxycodone, + about 2 years straight of using 0.5g-1g of Black tar Heroin daily.
It was SO bad an ambulance was called, Guess what? I almost died, how? Dehydration.
My skin was turning yellow, blue, and purple at the same time. The paramedics said 'you're very lucky that you called us, if you waited 20 to 30 more minutes you could've went into a coma or possibly have died, you're way to dehydrated buddy'
I stayed in the Hospital for 3 days, I was on IV fluids 24/7, along with 30mg Morphine, 2mg Ativan, 50mg Promethazine, and 0.1mg of Clonodine pumped inside me every 4 hours.
After I got discharged, since my Insurance didn't cover rehab, the doctor assigned me to a Methadone clinic. I got sent to the clinic by my amazing nurse.
She was so sweet, kind, and extremely helpful. She stayed with me at the clinic until I was admitted to the program, and get my dose. Which took about 5 hours.
After being admitted, got my dose, and felt AMAZING after. I noticed how potent Methadone really is with my very 1st dose, my doctor put me on 70mg daily,but by law, the patients aren't allowed to get more than 40mg on the first day of treatment. 2nd day, got 50mg, 3rd day 60mg, and then finally got my dose that I was scripted, 70mg.

My withdrawal was without question, bad enough to get me on Methadone. I mean the ER DOCTOR assigned me to one, cuz he saw how sick I really was.
People who go in there for a pussy 6 month use of Vicodin taking like 40mg a day think, 'omg I'm so sick' that makes me laugh.

A real, and Hardcore Opiate withdrawal comes from using hardcore Narcotics, using daily for AT LEAST 3 years.

What I consider a real, and Hardcore opiate withdrawal,

Oxycodone- Minimum of 3 years, using AT LEAST 100mg daily
Oxymorphone- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 40mg daily, with the Bioavailability of AT LEAST 50%
Heroin- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 1/2g daily
Methadone- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 30mg daily
Hydromorphone- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 8mg daily, with the Bioavailability of AT LEAST 80%
Morphine- Minimum of 2 years, using AT LEAST 100mg daily, with the bioavailability of AT LEAST 80%

So ya, you don't get a serious Opiate withdrawal with weak opiates like Codeine or Vicodin.
Tramadol is the only weak opioid that gives a bad withdrawal because of its SSRI properties.

Methacodone I agree w/ almost everything u said. I've had worse withdrawals then anyone I've ever met tho & I only used 10 months or so...never less than a bun sometimes up to 3 a day (bun=10bags where I'm from).....my friends who have used for yearsssss I'm so jealous of their w/d's . If I could get it like them I'd still be using prolly. I did have years of an opiate habit b4 but those w/d's were nothing compared to the hell that awaited me w/ no dope. Shaking chills sweats anxiety attacks RLS no sleep having to puke every 5 mins wanting to end it all. Only time I could get a second of relief was sittin in hot shower or hot tub. I craveeeeee the w/d's most of the ppl tell me they get. I could live w/ that. I cannot live w/ being transported to hell everyday lol

If ur gonna use stryker but want to be clean like I know u do, try pickin up some weed maybe? I was in your boat yesterday the holidays r terrible for me but once I took a couple dabs the urge to go get high subsided greatly. Everyone's diff tho n my buddy I was w/ was just as stoned but wanted to get pcp or K or something still so idk but it helped me...

I appreciate all the help guys, I really do. I'm at 75 hours now, so hopefully the worst has passed. Still, my emotions are kind of screwy right now and I'm not sure I will be able to resist the cravings I get. And it's only sometimes too. Like I said I keep going through phases, its weird. But when I do get cravings they're so strong and I can so vividly imagine using/how the high will be.

Someone here once told me to immediately think of something else when that happens, and it has helped a few times but not others. And I don't even understand it because physical withdrawals should slowly start going away at this point and I'm just really confused right now. I want to throw my gear out, and then immediately following I want to use really badly, and then back in forth like I'm stuck in a loop.

I do have some weed of hand, I just have nowhere to smoke it. And seriously guys, what if I only used one more time, would it put me back at day 1 of withdrawals?

Last edited:
Please i think I might want to use soon but if I go straight to day 1 of withdrawals afterwards then no way.

You will go straight to day 1. You need to throw that heroin out before you fuck this up.

Shadow, I'll pm my addy and you send your H to me. As soon as it arrives I'll IV a bunch and send an OD video back and then you can see what will eventually happen to you. Cos you will eventually start IV'ing - it's just a matter of time.

Mate you are doing so well and I think you are probably at the peak now, it's all downhill from here man.
Please tell us you made it through, if not that's ok too but you will have to go through WD again. How are you now?

I also agree with this 100%.
Methadone is a very powerful Narcotic that can give a WD that's worse than H WD.

I tried lots of things to get off dope before getting on Methadone.
Hydrocodone and Oxycodone wouldn't touch me unless I dose 200mg+ in a single dose, and that's just to feel well. Who the fuck can afford that?
I also tried low doses of Hydrocodone with Benzodiazepines, Xanax, Klonopin, and Valium. I had all 3. Valium helped the most out of the 3 in equivalent doses.
But that still wasn't enough, I just couldn't get well with ANYTHING besides smoking more dope.
My withdrawal was Bad. 2+ years straight of using 80mg to 120mg daily of Hydrocodone, + 3 years straight of using 120mg to 200mg daily of Oxycodone, + about 2 years straight of using 0.5g-1g of Black tar Heroin daily.
It was SO bad an ambulance was called, Guess what? I almost died, how? Dehydration.
My skin was turning yellow, blue, and purple at the same time. The paramedics said 'you're very lucky that you called us, if you waited 20 to 30 more minutes you could've went into a coma or possibly have died, you're way to dehydrated buddy'
I stayed in the Hospital for 3 days, I was on IV fluids 24/7, along with 30mg Morphine, 2mg Ativan, 50mg Promethazine, and 0.1mg of Clonodine pumped inside me every 4 hours.
After I got discharged, since my Insurance didn't cover rehab, the doctor assigned me to a Methadone clinic. I got sent to the clinic by my amazing nurse.
She was so sweet, kind, and extremely helpful. She stayed with me at the clinic until I was admitted to the program, and get my dose. Which took about 5 hours.
After being admitted, got my dose, and felt AMAZING after. I noticed how potent Methadone really is with my very 1st dose, my doctor put me on 70mg daily,but by law, the patients aren't allowed to get more than 40mg on the first day of treatment. 2nd day, got 50mg, 3rd day 60mg, and then finally got my dose that I was scripted, 70mg.

My withdrawal was without question, bad enough to get me on Methadone. I mean the ER DOCTOR assigned me to one, cuz he saw how sick I really was.
People who go in there for a pussy 6 month use of Vicodin taking like 40mg a day think, 'omg I'm so sick' that makes me laugh.

A real, and Hardcore Opiate withdrawal comes from using hardcore Narcotics, using daily for AT LEAST 3 years.

What I consider a real, and Hardcore opiate withdrawal,

Oxycodone- Minimum of 3 years, using AT LEAST 100mg daily
Oxymorphone- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 40mg daily, with the Bioavailability of AT LEAST 50%
Heroin- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 1/2g daily
Methadone- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 30mg daily
Hydromorphone- Minimum of 1-2 years, using AT LEAST 8mg daily, with the Bioavailability of AT LEAST 80%
Morphine- Minimum of 2 years, using AT LEAST 100mg daily, with the bioavailability of AT LEAST 80%

So ya, you don't get a serious Opiate withdrawal with weak opiates like Codeine or Vicodin.
Tramadol is the only weak opioid that gives a bad withdrawal because of its SSRI properties.

So by this rationale, where do I stand with a two year oxy run where the last 8months I've been on 240-320+mgs per day (broken up into two doses), to explain further I wake up sweating and kicking 13-14hrs after my last dose. Even about 6 months ago I could make it to the 16-18hr mark and still not be in WD. It would take me at least 200mgs for a very light buzz which fades after 10minutes and maybe the full 320mgs to get a little high that should last 30mins or so......how screwed am I?

Keep it up SS, you're doing great!!!

Shadow, I'll pm my addy and you send your H to me. As soon as it arrives I'll IV a bunch and send an OD video back and then you can see what will eventually happen to you. Cos you will eventually start IV'ing - it's just a matter of time.

Mate you are doing so well and I think you are probably at the peak now, it's all downhill from here man.
Please tell us you made it through, if not that's ok too but you will have to go through WD again. How are you now?
I'm at 83 hours, still clean. I've been so unbelievably depressed and felt so lonely I just layed in bed all day, until the urge to use was very strong and I hopped in my car and drove. And I just kept driving. I'm finally back home but I'm still craving to use a ton. I'm still afraid I'm going to. But I have to know if it'll restart withdrawals if I do it now, I don't want to go through that again. If it will that may be enough motivation for me to not use. At least for a while, I can't promise indefinitely but it'd be nice if it were to turn out like that.

I followed the thread a bit and am proud of you that you made it that far.

If you use again you'll screw your progress.
And you will be at the point you are at now again.
Having the same thoughts.
You will regret it, cravings will be the same and you have to Start over again.

Keep it up!

I'm literally crying right now and I haven't cried in almost a decade, how do people deal with the depression?