• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

SSRI's and Ecstasy: The Final Word (Hopefully)

i was on effexor for about a month following a hospital visit last may. i quit taking it because it was only making me feel worse. it's been about seven months since my last roll and i'm planning on rolling in a couple of weeks. how much down-regulation do you think could happen within a month's time (i was taking 75mgs per day, time-released)?

This is a rather interesting little post you have provided here. first off, It's most definitely a rather crass accusation to say that people who consume drugs are un-happy people. So the majority of people on this wonderful website you're saying are in need of medical attention ? I would love to learn more about your theory here. But, I don't wish to cause argument. I simply wish that you would realize that there is numerous justifications for doing drugs, and you're giving them a "evil label" Drugs, for me are one of my hobbies, I enjoy experimenting and curiously dissecting my "trips" and experiences. Granted, I do drugs for the euphoria, but how does that make me a bad person or in need of medical attention ?
Also, you claim that OP or anyone else that commented has no knowledge about SSRI's or Ecstasy ? That is bullocks and I'm sure if you where a sensible person, you would have to agree. Change my life ? Get new friends ? and I will have very little need for drugs ? that's pure rubbish, I have great friends, I'm working steadily on my career, and I happily consume drugs in moderation. Where is the problem ? Please elaborate !

Sorry for that rant, Anyway I was recently diagnosed with mild depression, anxiety, and panic disorder, and am taking Zoloft 100mg for it. I've considered switching my RX to Alprazolam (Xanax). Zoloft has had little effect on me, I've documented my months of taking it, and have noticed little improvement. However, my panic disorder, and anxiety have been linked to THC (It's a shame I know). Since I stopped smoking THC I have noticed improvements in my mental stability. I am wondering whether or not the Zoloft was necessary at all ? A side note relating to the topic, I have consumed MDMA(tested) I had a mild roll, with no comedown. I'm curious as too how I'm able to roll (even mildly) while on SSRI's and will Xanax be an issue with future roll's.

My Regards - Apollp.

thank you. and just to further that note, beatplayer, what gives you the right to label drug culture in it's ENTIRITY? doesn't it seem you're a bit overmatched? just because you went off the deep end and ended up railing 10+ pills an outing three nights a week doesn't mean that there aren't responsible people out there. yes, i do spend a lot of time depressed. and you know why? ignorant assumptions like that. there are those who use drugs, and others who abuse them. you can't lump everything into one huge category. you sound like president nixon.

Alright, I am a bit confused. You guys are saying that SSRI's block what the Ecstasy is doing because it "blocks the reuptake", but Ecstasy blocks the reuptake of serotonin also, meaning they are both doing the same thing in your brain. I'm not understanding how they get cancelled out..
Also, does anyone know anything about E with Effexor (venlafaxine)?

First time MDMA use while on a SSRI

I have been on the SSRI Cipralex 10mg for about three months and have recently begun to taper off. Last week I got my hands on pure MDMA for the first time (I have never taken MDMA, Ecstasy, or any other psychedelic in my life). I took about 5-10mg alone, sat back and waited for the drug to do its work. Before this I had done an extremely large amount of research into the drug and I had learned that the effects are felt within one half hour to two hours after ingestion. I waited for one hour and nothing happened. I waited a second hours and nothing happened. After doing some more research I was disappointed to discover that SSRI's counter act the effect of MDMA. In short, I felt absolutely nothing from the MDMA that I purchased. My main question is that now that I am tapering and will be completely off of the SSRI in 12 days, how long will I have to wait for my serotonin levels to be at a state to experience the full effects of MDMA. In addition, I am taking this drug for the purpose of personal psychotherapy and am not looking for quick high.

i started cipralex (for depression) today and was wondering if id roll if im still on it and took e or mdma.
(i have a super low tollerance to e and mdma- so would it just be a normal roll? rather than being too messed up?)

and to SLEEPERSHARK
5-10mg of mdma.... probably isnt going to do anything.
one pill is like 100-150mg. so think of it in terms of that? even though you dont want a quick high, even half youd be able to feel something.
also depending on how much you weigh could affect your tollerance levels.
hope that helps a bit.

I read through this thread, and first I'd like to say thanks for all the thorough and well-researched information!

I've been thinking about rolling for the first time... my friend has an awesome connect (MDMA in liquid form, apparently?). I've been on Celexa for several years, but for the past year or so I've tapered down to 5mg/day... a fraction of the dose that most of you guys are talking about.

Is there anyone out there who's tried E on a similarly low dose? Did you have a reduced trip, or was it a waste of money?

Regarding that bizarre quote about un-happy ppl and drugs and then about seeing a doctor. Well this one found it's love of opiates through visiting the local doctor! That was the only way one could ever get there hands on large amounts of pure codeine. If un-happy ppl take drugs though, so what ... it makes them happy when they do so all's good.
Hari Om
edtree

P.s. To Dr Girlfriend; yep, only one pill but I was on an aircraft and working so I believe that does increase the effect which was most pleasant!!!

Last edited:
I've thoroughly enjoyed my MDMA experiences over the years - it's important to note that many of us are on antidepressants for various reasons. This may possibly be because of our MDMA usage when we started around 16 y/o. It is a pretty alarming thing to consider how willing we are to take ourselves off the SSRIs that we started taking to restore our lives to some balance. Stopping your mood maintaining anti depressants so you can roll for 4 hours? I've done it and so have many others... Is it really worth it bluelighters? I recognize there are two sides to this coin. If you do manage to wean yourself off your SSRI after reading this thread it looks like stopping a month before is not goigto cut it. More like 6 months of abstinence from SSRIs for your brain to reach a state of operation free from the SSRIs direct effects. And even after all that who knows if your brain can function healthfully without SSRIs, throwing MDMA into the mix could further complicate matters - I'd like to hear from some bluelighters and their experiences with stopping SSRIs and eventually using MDMA again.

I was on self-prescribed(yes it is mad, but so i was when i was abusing speed) amytryptiline which is SNRI and tried to use mdma and didn't notice anything from it, i ate 100 mg, then after hour shot 200 mg IV and didn't noticed anything at all. So, Yes, SNRI blocks all central mdma effects.

i read your post and it said even months after stopping ssri pills X wont work well and make you live in hell but what about years after? i took prozac for roughly 9 months and prestiq for 3ish months, ive been off for 2 months but i want to try x in the next 4 years of school. is it possible if youre off for year that x wont mess you up as bad?

Zoloft and MDMA

I have not taken "E" in about 8 years. Am thinking of trying it again. It used to affect me pretty strongly. However, I am now taking zoloft so was doing a bit of research on taking the two at the same time. This board has a lot of great info, but could not find anything that really talks about dosage. I am currently taking 25mg of zoloft, which is the lowest dose. Will I still most likely not feel my roll, or is my dose of zoloft minimal enough to not get in the way? Please excuse me if this was already answered before. Thanks!

how long would you advise not taking venlaflaxine for so that i ca get a role from some MDMA? just out of curiosity i need a good nite out n to fully let go with sum E n my ssri's stop the MD from working at all i just feel like ive took sum crap speed and get a headache usually when ive tried rollin on them b4?! if i stopped taking my 225mg a day for 5 days starting monday if i go out saturday and take sum 150mg mandy will i get a lovely full blown roll off it by then or not do u knw?
many thanx n hope ur feeling much better and got fings sorted.....PEACE

not had my SSRI's for a week and half....ate half g of pure MDMA crystals about hour ago......holy sht took to much im coming up like a mother fucker for sure and i was on 225mg venlaflaxine a day for over 2 years!!!!!!!!!!! cant believe im startin 2 cum up so hard....this is guna b a fun evening :)))))))))))))))

not had my SSRI's for a week and half....ate half g of pure MDMA crystals about hour ago......holy sht took to much im coming up like a mother fucker for sure and i was on 225mg venlaflaxine a day for over 2 years!!!!!!!!!!! cant believe im startin 2 cum up so hard....this is guna b a fun evening :)))))))))))))))

oh n i wudnt advise eating that much ive just got a mad MDMA tolerance after eating kilos of crystals and taking millions of beans over the past 14 years !!!!!!!!!!! peace love and happy ravin
reach 4 the lasers.....safe as fuck mate :))))))))))))

I'd like to clarify this whole mess on SSRI's and Ecstasy.
First the mumbo-jumbo. But it's important mumbo-jumbo, so please read it (or at least skim it.)
First of all, both SSRI's (Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors )(This includes Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and the like, and no, there really isn't any difference between them for our purposes here) and Ecstasy both have affinity (Meaning they will interact with and affect) the brain's seratonin reuptake transporters. Seratonin has an extremely important role in brain chemistry, as we all know, and regulates all sorts of things. SSRI's work by stopping the seratonin reuptake in the brain. The idea is for those that are depressed is that by reducing the amount of seratonin reabsorbed back into one's neurochemical system (and thereby increasing the amount of seratonin present), an increased amount of seratonin will help people feel better (With the help of therapy, of course. Very rarely will SSRI's work without the will and help of both the user and his/her doctor.)
Okay, now for the role of Ecstasy. Ecstasy works by flooding the synapse in the brain with seratonin. (again, as we all know.) Because Ecstasy uses the actual reuptake transporter mechanism to cause seratonin release, obviously any sort of chemical (Like an SSRI) blocking that mechanism (Which SSRI's do,) with a higher affinity for it (Like Ecstasy) will severely reduce or completely eliminate the affects of the Ecstasy. Ecstasy (beyond the threshold dose of ~40-60mg) without the presence of SSRI's generally drains a large amount of the brain's seratonin for 12-24 hours, and the brain has generally not reached full seratonin levels for up to a week afterwards.
SSRI's "downregulate" (inhibit the efficiency & the ability) of seratonin reuptake transporters. This means SSRI's affect your brain's seratonin system in a negative way as well as a positive way; the idea is that the positive effects outweigh the negative i.e. higher seratonin levels outweight the fact that your brain isn't using it as efficiently. Basically this means that even for MONTHS after one quits taking an SSRI, the brain is less efficient at using seratonin. Those who go off SSRI's and take E, even MONTHS later, will most likely have a REDUCED roll, regardless of the amount of E you take. Essentially, your brain's maximum of seratonin concentration (what makes rolling feel good) goes DOWN. So taking more only excacerbates the OTHER affects, like the dopaminergic (feeling speedy)and side-effects (like jaw-clenching).
END MUMBO-JUMBO
Okay, if you're still with me, that's the end of the medical crap. Most eveyone knows this, but a zillion people keep asking about trying E on SSRI's or tapering their meds and are missing the main point. So here goes.
Because SSRI's (prescribed for depression, as opposed to premature ejaculation, for example, because, yes, SSRI's almost always reduce ability to reach orgasm) are prescribed to help people assumed to have seratonin imbalances, most people on SSRI's (prescribed for depression) DO HAVE some sort of seratonin imbalance, tapering one's SSRI's (regardless of the time period, from cold turkey to a month or so) to do Ecstasy is A VERY DANGEROUS THING. It will often lead to an incredible low of depression. I'm talking absolute hell. I'm NOT trying to be anti at all, but I am speaking from my experience and the experience of many people I've talked with. It's just so dangerous for those predisposed to clinical depression (I'm not talking about being sad because your dog got hit by a car, I'm talking diagnosed by a doctor), and those predisposed or suffering clinical depression are often on SSRI's.
Please see my posting thread from my E-experience BEFORE you taper off your meds to do a serious and possibly dangerous drug. I'm not saying E will give you brain cancer or drain your spinal fluid or make your brain bleed or any other rumor garbage, I'm saying your emotions/feelings/mental stability has the severe possibility of getting MAJORLY FUCKED for days, or even a week. Trust me, it sucks.
Please see: http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000228.html
Sorry for the huge post, but I just wanted to clarify things.
Quick Summary:
1. SSRI's (all of 'em) inhibit or prevent rolling
2. Those taking SSRI's for depression generally have seratonin imbalance issues
3. Taking E really fucks up your seratonin for a while.
4. For many, this isn't a problem
5. BUT, for those on SSRI's, it may very well be a VERY serious problem.
6. Rolling after being on SSRI's for any significant amount of time will most likely be reduced.
7. Think AT LEAST twice about it
Some warning signs you may be more likely to have a problem when you take E after being on SSRI's (collected from experience)
1. After missing doses (1 day-several days-week-whenever) you go through a withdrawal (i.e. nauseau, "brain bounce"->electro-shock sensations in your head when you move suddenly, or vertigo->feeling like you don't have balance or are "falling up" or sideways.
2. You were/are on a relatively high dose of your med
3. You were/are prone to anxiety attacks associated with your depression
This doesn't cover them all, and even if you fit the bill, you may not have a problem taking E.
BOTTOM LINE: Be very very very careful. Knowledge is everything. This post doesn't apply to everyone; some people can stop their meds and roll and be fine. Some can't. That's just the way it is. I'm not telling you not to. Just please be careful. The last thing I want is for the uninformed to go through the hell I and many others have gone through. Have fun, but most of all, be safe.
Peace
-NYTFLY
It's a great piece of work.
And it's true.
three months have passed since I gave up SSRIs and still MDMA has not worked on me.
So I decided to wait for another 3 months before trying MDMA again.
Just one thing: it's "SerOtonin" not "SerAtonin".