• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cocaine Smoking on tin foil?

why would you use sodium hydroxide? that's lye isn't it? did it work better than sodium bicarb?

the only way ive seen it done was with sodium bicarb - i was never good at it, but my friends were experts - i was only an occasional rock smoker - if i cooked it up myself, i just rocked it up crack style....it's giving me the shakes just thinking about it lol
Yes, sodium hydroxide is lye – NaOH. So it's one sodium atom, one oxygen atom and one hydrogen atom, right?

Ok now consider that cocaine hydrochloride is cocaine.hcl, so it's one molecule of cocaine and one molecule consisting of one hydrogen and one chloride.

The reaction goes like this:

cocaine.HCl + NaOH → cocaine + NaCl + H₂O

See the sodium (Na) bonds preferentially to the chloride (Cl) atom from the cocaine.HCl to form sodium chloride (NaCl), aka table salt.

This leaves us with one freebase cocaine molecule, one hydrogen atom freed from the chlorine, another hydrogen atom freed from the lye (NaOH) and just one oxygen atom. Two hydrogens and an oxygen make water (H₂O) which dissolve the freshly formed NaCl… so salt water is a side product of making cocaine this way.

Lye can be dangerous because it's hella caustic, especially if hot and you definitely have to be careful with it and wear goggles, but it's literally the stuff in most drain cleaners that make them work so it's no more dangerous than using a strong drain cleaner. But yes, in my opinion is works better than baking soda. But the same principle applies with sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO₃) and sodium carbonate (Na₂CO₃), baking soda and soda ash, respectively; either of them work.

Don’t IV crystal MDMA. It os the most horrendous rush imaginable. Even on a normal 150 mg dose you’ll spend the first 2 minutes thinking you desperately need an ambulance.
Well to be fair, 150 mg is far more than what's needed for IVing MDMA. [EDIT: Consider that it doesn't need to go through first pass metabolism and bioavailability is greatly increased.]

One should understand that this will shorten the duration of effects significantly, and topping off MDMA isn't but so effective, especially after the first booster. Not worth chasing the high, for sure.

Although it settles down to a proper role after that. Plugging gives the best come-up.
IMing is pretty close to being on par with this come-up, and while I do agree with this for the most part, I find either RoA uncomfortable, unnecessary, and not really worth the effort unless you have good reason or are just dying to see for yourself.

Hence why I advised not going there. I like the stomach experience. Apparently the gut is absolutely full of serotonin receptors. It would be a waste not to use them...
Yes the stomach is lined with serotonin and also the 5-HT3 serotonin receptors in the brain are responsible for nausea regulation, which is why pharmaceutical drugs like Ondansetron are specifically 5-HT3 receptor antagonists. If someone has a particularly sensitive stomach, oral ingestion might not be their favorite RoA, and I can respect that, but ultimately I have to agree with your assessment 100% that the stomach experience (oral ingestion) is the best RoA for MDMA. It really feels like it works its way through your whole body, and I advise taking the right dose followed by no more than one top off, if necessary, otherwise right after the peak, drop a psychedelic and the combined effects can be unbelievably beautiful and profound, in my experience anyway.

So I used sodium hydroxide back whenever I made freebase, and this, like sodium bicarbonate, will rock up; whereas ammonia does not form the same freebase, insteading staying as an oil. But in all the above instances, cocaine hydrochloride is chemically changed such that the cocaine base is “freed” from the hydrochloric acid molecule; hence the name: “freebase”. However, the tendency exists for crack dealers who whip their own rocks from soft to use an excess of baking soda to give them more overall weight to sell. Do note: people who cut drugs for a profit are deplorable, selfish, greedy pieces of dogshit, and if anyone reading these words actively practices this, please stop this practice right now; turn over a new leaf. … I'll step down from the soap box now…
I had a thought (they just come to me when least expected! 🤣 ).

I wonder what the outcome (yield) would be of basing certified reference material (using the water/ammonia/ether method)?

Relatively expensive exercise. But I wonder... :unsure:

In some places the term "freebasing" is slang used to mean "smoking/vaporizing a substanc". IMO this is incorrect usage of the term, but since it's slang I guess you can't really say it's wrong. The term freebasing is just suppose to mean the act of turning the chemical from salt form to freebase form, which is what is performed, like with crack cocaine and baking soda for example, before it is smoked/vaporized.
Back in the day's, this is a story of someone i know who is an ex-Heroine addict. Totally clean for over 20 year's.

What was his saying on the subject. Crack is Cocaine freebase made with baking Soda. The ghetto method. While freebase Coke refer's to Cocaine that has been made freebase with Ammonia.

The last one produces a cleaner product but more work. And the smell of ammonia ain't very nice. But basically they are the same.

Don’t IV crystal MDMA. It os the most horrendous rush imaginable. Even on a normal 150 mg dose you’ll spend the first 2 minutes thinking you desperately need an ambulance.

Although it settles down to a proper role after that. Plugging gives the best come-up.
Just to be sure I understand, you are recommending plug-in MDMA, correct? Do you mean it gives the best initial”rush” or best come-down? (I know you used the phrase “come up” which confused me).

Okay, looks like I have some catching up today on replies to this thread…;)

just tried the crack…in a not-very-well made pipe. Bought from Amazon and bought screens from Amazon; screens did not fit so I had to stuff them into the pipe, and I’m not sure how that worked.

only smoked a small amount. Not sure I did it with the best technique (prob not). It was all right but…not heroin. (Which, for those of you who don’t know, I have developed a severe anaphylaxis or anaphylactoid reaction to, as well as many actual medications. Not cocaine though for some reason).

Just to be sure I understand, you are recommending plug-in MDMA, correct? Do you mean it gives the best initial”rush” or best come-down? (I know you used the phrase “come up” which confused me).
Yes. Plugging gives the best 'come-up' from not-high to high. It's fast but not mind destroying like IV. I actually like to plug some and parachute (swallow) some at the same time.

Okay, so I have a super-super stupid question after my experience with crack smoking. I got buzz d but it is obvious I am doing something not-right.

modes the crack go on top of the screens, away from your mouth, when you are smoking, so, like, the vapor blows away from you? I saw someone on Intervention do this. It just seems weird. But what do I know about smoking crackers, obviously. Lol.

otherwise right after the peak, drop a psychedelic and the combined effects can be unbelievably beautiful and profound, in my experience anyway.
A proper Candyflip. Instead of the other way around

A very profound and overwhelmingly bizar experience.

How did this thread started out over Crack on tinfoil.

Okay, so I have a super-super stupid question after my experience with crack smoking. I got buzz d but it is obvious I am doing something not-right.

modes the crack go on top of the screens, away from your mouth, when you are smoking, so, like, the vapor blows away from you? I saw someone on Intervention do this. It just seems weird. But what do I know about smoking crackers, obviously. Lol.

I don't really understand this question. You definitely don't want the vapour to blow away from you, you need to inhale it.

Did you just put the rock on top of the screen and apply the flame? If so, most of it will have fallen through the screen into the body of the pipe so you wouldn't get a decent hit.

Get some cigarette ash and place a lightly packed layer on top of the screen. This provides a matrix for the crack to melt into instead of falling through. Then just hit that fucker hard...

I don't really understand this question. You definitely don't want the vapour to blow away from you, you need to inhale it.

Did you just put the rock on top of the screen and apply the flame? If so, most of it will have fallen through the screen into the body of the pipe so you wouldn't get a decent hit.

Get some cigarette ash and place a lightly packed layer on top of the screen. This provides a matrix for the crack to melt into instead of falling through. Then just hit that fucker hard...
Is there anything I could use besides cigarette ash?

Then again, part of the reason I may have only gotten a very small buzz is I only had 1/10 g crack and was only using a bit of it at a time.

Is there anything I could use besides cigarette ash?

That's the standard practice in the UK, but we're dirty fuckers. It does work but has a particular taste and can be a little nauseating. Are you in the US? (I dont know where MD is). I believe you guys use something called 'choreboy' which is some heavy duty pan scrubber shit that you pack into the pipe to provide the matrix for the crack to run into. Fuck knows what obnoxious chemicals are coated on that stuff though...

That's the standard practice in the UK, but we're dirty fuckers. It does work but has a particular taste and can be a little nauseating. Are you in the US? (I dont know where MD is). I believe you guys use something called 'choreboy' which is some heavy duty pan scrubber shit that you pack into the pipe to provide the matrix for the crack to run into. Fuck knows what obnoxious chemicals are coated on that stuff though...
“MD”? I guess he means Maryland.

You don't want to use “choreboy” which already comes loaded with detergent in it. Steel wool is the item intended to “catch” liquified cocaine base, but only pure steel wool should be used, which I think the Choreboy brand manufactures as well, but regardless, don't smoke soap; there's no way that's not bad for your lungs.

The trick with cigarette ash works really well, actually, but if you're a cannabis smoker, you could just as easily use cannabis ash. In Europe people often put tobacco in their joints along with weed, and then smoke “spliffs”. I love that word, but I don't like tobacco smoke and its annoying tendency to permeate clothing and hair. I don't get the persistent appeal of this.

Anyway you can smoke crack from an “oil burner” (read: meth pipe) or even from a dab rig. In the case of vaporizing a drug for inhalation – be it cocaine freebase / crack, crystal meth, THC concentrate, DMT crystals, whatever – the idea is to heat the drug without exposing it to radiant energy, like that of a burning flame or a red hot heating element, as this often destroys the drug. For example, you don't “smoke” meth or DMT because the combustion will destroy the chemical, and while producing (acrid) smoke, it wouldn't be the same chemical that gets you high any longer due to pyrolysis. Plus burnt drugs usually taste awful, cannabis being the exception. Instead, you vaporize these drugs.

But no matter how you use it, cocaine is very underwhelming considering its exorbitant price. I'm seeing prices easily reaching up into $100+/gram right now. It is ridiculous. This is ostensibly due to COVID-19 affecting distribution patterns, but I suspect there's some degree of opportunism there, too. However, many bars and nightclubs have been closed and dealers working those scenes have had to scramble to find new routes to end users. Currently, this trend is receding as the national vaccination rate rises…

Last edited:
So…first things first. Yes, I live in the U.S. MD is not far from DC, which might give an idea of where I’m located.

I used to vape nicotine but developed a a severe allergy to it so don’t do that anymore. Cigerette ash is out. Haven’t used pot in awhile…and only used to use edibles and vape.

can look into choreboy but I think that’s what people said I needed to burn before using because of the chemicals??

a meth pipe would be fine. I don’t have one but could get ahold of one.
I still think I’m not doing something right..or a few things, lol. I did get a buzz, but nothing like that made me wanna replay the euphoria over and over in my head the way I’ve seen some describe smoking crock (and as happened with me with sniffing H).

I should have asked my friend who smokes crack and was in town not long ago. But…I didn’t ans know she’s in another state.

And yes, prices for coke are high, though I’m not familiar with what they usually are. I’ve seen prices over *snip* a gram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, are you saying I should try to actually burn the crack in the pipe? I want to head it…yet not burn it…(from what you’re) saying…so confusing. I need a tutorial!!

I feel like I did burn the crack which is why it tasted bad and didn’t get me very high. Argh this is so complicated!!!

I used to vape nicotine but developed a a severe allergy to it so don’t do that anymore.
Okaaaaay…

Cigerette ash is out. Haven’t used pot in awhile…and only used to use edibles and vape.
Jesus Christ, man.

can look into choreboy but I think that’s what people said I needed to burn before using because of the chemicals??
And what about this sounds like a great idea there, sensitivo?

I still think I’m not doing something right..or a few things, lol. I did get a buzz, but nothing like that made me wanna replay the euphoria over and over in my head the way I’ve seen some describe smoking crock
Considering the high price and short duration, it's pretty highly overrated in my opinion.

(and as happened with me with sniffing H).
Sounds like you may have found your preference then. Opiates can cause painful physical dependency which builds coexistent with tolerance. Avoid them both if you dabble in these drugs, but I also recommend not getting obsessed with them and start to only use one drug – this will likely be your end. Diversify your drug experiences, avoiding tolerance as you go, and keeping your mind occupied with various biochemical puzzles. Try more psychedelics.

If meth pipes work, why don’t people just use them instead of crack pipes?
People do. Some gas stations sell meth-pipe-type pipes containing a fake little plastic rose, as if it were just a little vase or something for said rose. Of course the rose is discarded, and voila! You've got a pookie pipe (it's from the movie, New Jack City). Besides, steel wool can be loaded into the end of one of these bad boys and function exactly the same as a stem. But the point is that the bulb of the thing allows the cocaine to be held in place for heating past liquid phase. Make sense?

And yes, prices for coke are high, though I’m not familiar with what they usually are. I’ve seen prices over *snip* a gram.
It's usually ~*****no price discussion*****/gram. If it's any higher priced, it had damn well better be pure fire. Like strong, face-numbing, aphrodisiac fire.

Also, are you saying I should try to actually burn the crack in the pipe?
No, you do not want to burn any drugs, as a general rule, with the exception of smoking weed of course, which you don't do anyway. Look, think about science class for a minute and remember phase change. Like ice becomes water as you heat it and it melts. Eventually if you keep increasing the heat, water begins to boil and it will phase change again from a liquid to a gas: steam, right? Ok, so cocaine does the same thing, it just has higher melting and boiling points than water. And what you're doing is heating it quickly while breathing in from the pipe holding the cocaine, okay, and that creates a small vacuum inside the pipe, lowering the melting and boiling points of the cocaine so that a vapor is quickly atomized from the lop layer of freshly melted cocaine base… It's all about timing.

I want to head it…yet not burn it…(from what you’re) saying…so confusing. I need a tutorial!!
What's confusing? You want to heat it, while breathing in, and without applying any flames directly to the cocaine. Essentially, you're vaporizing it. I think you got this. Also, I suspect if you search online, there is likely a tutorial or a “how to” in case illustrations or something might help.

I feel like I did burn the crack which is why it tasted bad and didn’t get me very high. Argh this is so complicated!!!
Hang in there. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again, you know? Either way, there are better drugs out there.

Last edited by a moderator: