Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Singles thread - home of the quirky alone!?? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

joannie_mhm

Bluelighter
I've been reading Mia Freedman's "The New Black" and she mentioned quirkyalones:

Who are the quirkyalones? There are many definitions, but we'll start with this one. Quirkyalones are people who resist the tyranny of coupledom. Oddly enough, we quirkyalones also tend to be romantics. We resist the tyranny of coupledom because we would prefer to be open to the possibilities that life has to offer than be in an unsatisfying relationship. That is, to date for the sake of dating, or be in a relationship for the sake of being part of a couple.

Quirkyalone is not anti-love. It is pro-love. It is not anti-dating. It is anti-compulsory dating. It's an embrace of all kinds of love. Although we quirkyalones enjoy solitude, and sometimes even need and crave it, we are NOT loners. We typically have a strong network of friends. Most of us place a high premium on friendship. We've even been known to bring our friends on dates!

here...

Thoughts?

drEaMtiMe*@# said:
you're right, and there's that saying the opposite of love is not hate but indifference... caring is one thing that almost all people want. to know that somebody, anybody, cares about them and that they make some sort of difference in other peoples lives. therefore i think indifference is what can sometimes sting more than anything else.

That is so absolutely, positively true. Indifference hurts the most.

I lost a lot of/ any respect for Mia Freedman after reading that she thought "Male bisexuality is just a stop on the one way train to gaysville"

i think there are more and more "quirkalones" in society these days, and i see nothing wrong with that because in some ways i guess i am one of them too.. expect for one thing.. i think 'loving relationships' do exist, and i think that some "quirkalones" may tend to avoid relationships because their personal experience tells them that they don't, so there's no point.

ultimately i think that people should do whatever feels right to them, and have the types of relationships that they want, which means not necassarily abiding by the unwritten "relationship rules" ie. dating > marriage > 2.5 kids etc.

you have the choice and can have whatever type of relationship you want.

drEaMtiMe*@# said:
ultimately i think that people should do whatever feels right to them, and have the types of relationships that they want, which means not necassarily abiding by the unwritten "relationship rules" ie. dating > marriage > 2.5 kids etc.

you have the choice and can have whatever type of relationship you want.

exactly!!:) i 100% agree with you, everything there!

the quirky alones i think make up majority of the single world these days.. the pressure to be in a relationship, get married & all that seems to have just vanished=D hence people will have much more fulfilling relationships imo..

my biggest fear about being single isnt that im going to be alone forever.
Its that i might get so lonely one day & settle for someone who isnt what i want.

I have the best friends tho so i dont see why i should settle for less than the best boyfriend > i hope that doesnt sound egotistical:eek:
ive just been basically happy on my own for a long time now! why risk that for someone who isnt everything. I dont want to be someones second best so im surely not going to expect someone to be mine

zephyr said:
Last night I had a stupid little young girl over (a friend of a friend) who met a cute guy the night before who said to her he didnt have a girlfriend and gave her his number.

After a night of pashing at revolver or some such bullshit club, she was sitting on my couch texting him back and forth smut and aranging to go fuck this guy.

But when she CALLED him, he didnt pick up the phone. She gets upset and feels stupid.

WHY?

Turns out he does have a girlfriend and she was sitting next to him when he was texting her all this smut.

Interesting story, there's something I need to confess...

I was at Revolver on Sunday night/Monday morning (without partner supervision).

I was also sitting next to my girlfriend last night.

8o

Alas... my life is not so exciting. The only action I got on Sunday night was getting my ass grabbed on separate occasions by two male friends... a poof and a 40-year old drug dealer... and the only phone call I got last night was from my mum. ;) =D

I think I saw the couple you're talking about though... eating face like it was going out of fashion.

Wow, I've learnt something today. I'm a quirkyalone! :D

i leave this thread for 3 months and all the same faces are still here
party on rockers!

heh

^ what happened preach? did the other forums actually enforce their no troll policy?

hoptis said:
Interesting story, there's something I need to confess...

I was at Revolver on Sunday night/Monday morning (without partner supervision).

I was also sitting next to my girlfriend last night.

8o

Alas... my life is not so exciting. The only action I got on Sunday night was getting my ass grabbed on separate occasions by two male friends... a poof and a 40-year old drug dealer... and the only phone call I got last night was from my mum. ;) =D

I think I saw the couple you're talking about though... eating face like it was going out of fashion.
you are a poo head. I was going to go to revolver but I was just too wasted and no idea where I was. Cantebury I think.

But my ass got grabbed by a 40 yo drug dealer too! what a coincidence!

Quirky alone makes me think that this world is way too label happy.

katmeow said:
Quirky alone makes me think that this world is way too label happy.

The lady who came up with the term (not mia freedman, she just wrote about it) said that it was a response to all of those unsavoury terms you hear like spinster, old maid etc (though they're also often linked with age, but that's another discussion).

So basically, a quirkyalone is just someone with commitment issues?

Thank god we finally found a name for those people!!!!

You're just jealous its better than the word for 'people with mental issues'

'tard

I am starting to think being a quirkyalone is the way to go anyways. Fuck relationships. They're shit.

m4dd0g said:
^ what happened preach? did the other forums actually enforce their no troll policy?

i figured you missed me considering how often you mention me at meetups :|

nickyj said:
Wow, I've learnt something today. I'm a quirkyalone! :D

Yeah me to..........great stuff, now I got another label i got to wear.........shit, Im running out of room on me shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.