• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

I only do runs when it's raining bc that's when I gain what ''runs'' offers, if I can call it so.

have not been running much the last couple weeks. been cycling and swimming more though so not completely inactive.

i think in a few weeks i'm gonna go on a roadtrip somewhere to go trail running. national forests here have free camping almost everywhere so i'm gonna drive down and sleep in the back of my car, wake up crack of dawn and do like a 20ish mile run. now if only i had friends crazy enough to join me...

have not been running much the last couple weeks. been cycling and swimming more though so not completely inactive.

i think in a few weeks i'm gonna go on a roadtrip somewhere to go trail running. national forests here have free camping almost everywhere so i'm gonna drive down and sleep in the back of my car, wake up crack of dawn and do like a 20ish mile run. now if only i had friends crazy enough to join me...
Swimming and cycling are perfect cross training!

20 mile sounds good, I’d do it!!!

sounds mint!!

i get you on the friends thing. i really like hikng but can only go with my parents, who are both approximately 70 and therefore not up to serious hikes.

if i actually get my trip this year (am desperately hoping!) i'll do 5 days back to back of 20km hikes with 1k ascent and descent every day. am confident about the distance after upping my running distances but no idea how to even start preparing for the gradients without a car or any friends close by that drive and like hiking.

did 10k this morning. had hoped to do longer as i haven't done more than 10k since my 20k a month ago, worried i'll lose the endurance i built up. but it was pissing it down and i was fed up with dodging puddles, i hate getting my feet wet repeatedly. the odd puddle is fine but this was like every other step. coulda done road running but i find it boring.

did 10k this morning. had hoped to do longer as i haven't done more than 10k since my 20k a month ago, worried i'll lose the endurance i built up
Honestly your endurance will be fine, you’re running enough. It might be a bit hard doing extra mileage for a bit but it won’t be as hard as it was when you were newly building it up. Does that make sense?

@chinup I LOVE running in the rain!!!!! Dodging puddles can be annoying, yes, but I absolutely love the rain on my hot sweaty skin.

Last 10k I didn’t go because it was supposed to storm all morning. Ended up only being delayed an hour. Damnit.

Oh well, I have one tomorrow morning. It is on a flat crushed limestone trail through a forest preserve. They are holding a 5 k and a half marathon as well. It is showing a good chance of rain but no storms so we’ll deal with the rain if it comes. Hopefully only light rain.

The really good thing is it’s predicting around 67 fahrenheit for start time which is quite cool for this time of year. I have been running in heat anywhere from 70 to 85 degrees F lately. The hot runs are exhausting but make cooler weather feel much easier.

First competitve 10k so we will see how I do. Shooting for around 41 minutes.

Last edited:
Last 10k I didn’t go because it was supposed to storm all morning. Ended up only being delayed an hour. Damnit.

Oh well, I have one tomorrow morning. It is on a flat crushed limestone trail through a forest preserve. They are holding a 5 k and a half marathon as well. It is showing a good chance of rain but no storms so we’ll deal with the rain if it comes. Hopefully only light rain.

The really good thing is it’s predicting around 67 fahrenheit for start time which is quite cool for this time of year. I have been running in heat anywhere from 70 to 85 degrees F lately. The hot runs are exhausting but make cooler weather feel much easier.

First competitve 10k so we will see how I do. Shooting for around 41 minutes.
You got this! Just run your own race and don’t blow yourself up out of the gate, you’ll be good :)

I just did a 17 mile trail run yesterday, it was wonderful

Came in at 39:45. 5th place out of 188. Pretty pleased with that but plenty of room for improvement! I fucking love the adrenaline rush of races!!
fucking hell man that is amazing!!! i would love to just be able to get mine below an hour. i think when it cools down again i'll be able to.

did my longest run since my 20k to my parents today. made 14k.

after ending up in hospital the other day unable to breathe due to allergies i'm scared of gettng too out of breath, so my pace was very slow. but i did enough to justify sitting around watching the tennis and football finals for the rest of the day.

i do think some of my breathlessness running that i'd attributed to the shite state of my lungs is actually asthma. i used to have exercise induced asthma when i sprinted for a team and i assumed that cos i'm jogging instead of sprinting now i wasn't doing enough to set off any asthma. but the difference now i have an inhaler, following the hospital trip, is quite stark.

fucking hell man that is amazing!!! i would love to just be able to get mine below an hour. i think when it cools down again i'll be able to.

did my longest run since my 20k to my parents today. made 14k.

after ending up in hospital the other day unable to breathe due to allergies i'm scared of gettng too out of breath, so my pace was very slow. but i did enough to justify sitting around watching the tennis and football finals for the rest of the day.

i do think some of my breathlessness running that i'd attributed to the shite state of my lungs is actually asthma. i used to have exercise induced asthma when i sprinted for a team and i assumed that cos i'm jogging instead of sprinting now i wasn't doing enough to set off any asthma. but the difference now i have an inhaler, following the hospital trip, is quite stark.
Thank you!! I appreciate it.
Yeah, you should definitely be on the cautious side with those lung issues. It’s great that you have an inhaler now though.

woop woop!! did my fastest 10k since may, when the temperature went up and my times went down. i'd gone down majorly in june due to drinking and bingeing and purging.

now i'm at my parents the differences in routes- like crossing roads, dog walkers (loads of dogs try to race me its dead cute) and much less even terrain- means it will be difficult to get to my 10k pb here.... its a whole 5 mins slower than on the total flat round the park but i'm gonna keep trying to get my times down.

still super anxious about getting out of breath still after my trip to a&e the other week but i'm trying to just concentrate my breathing and it seems to help.

think i've finally broken through the summer temperatures and most of the anxiety caused by my breathing issues the other week.

i have a 6k route that i do before work sometimes and this morning i did it 1 mnute 12s faster than my previous pb on that route. pretty chuffed with myself.

damn good stuff @chinup , I haven’t popped into this thread in a while.

hope you’ve been enjoying the stay with your parents and exploring the new areas to run in, I always love trying new spots to run

I’ve been slowly ramping up for my 50 mile in October. I’m looking at potentially doing a trail marathon in a few weeks as a B race to use for training purposes…

im still new to ultra running but I think it’s something I would like to try competing in a little more i.e. doing races to try to place in age groups or overall, not just finishing them

I’m placed in a pretty good spot having just turned 20, im younger than most people when they start the sport so I feel good about that. but who knows lol