• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

horrible cheap walmart shoes yeah, and my running form probably isn't the best. I don't heel strike, but I do land fairly flat footed

I took an aspirin and did a 5k and felt fine today really, the aspirin helps a lot, but gonna take 3-4 days off now

I think my good addidas runners are... somewhere I kinda lost them :'(
yeah i heel strike lol, not the best i know

NSAIDs can help, but be careful not to develop a reliance on them. i know many athletes who have

but yeah if you can check out your local running store, they may have some last season clearance stuff

I am very prone to shin splints, and so my legs tell me when I need to get new running shoes!!

Snaf, I get my running shoes second hand from online sites such as ebay or gumtree (the Aussie version of craigslist). There are heaps of people who try running shoes once and don't like them, then sell them online for a fraction of the price!
I just got these babies, almost brand new, for AUD$50 + $10 postage.
djuc0GT.jpg

yeah, my shoes might be the cause of the pain. I'm literally running in walmart shoes I bought for $10 lol

it's actually kinda dangerous there is no grip and I have slipped a few times >_<

Speaking of shoes, does anyone here do “barefoot running”

i definitely see the appeal of minimalist shoes but I’m unsure how to best experiment with them

sounds interesting to me, I'd do it if I could

need to build some callouses, my feet are smooth as babies butt

sounds interesting to me, I'd do it if I could

need to build some callouses, my feet are smooth as babies butt
Yeah some folks use sandals, some use just really minimalist shoes. But I live in the Midwest so in the winter I ain’t running no damn sandals lol, definitely would use the latter option

ive seen some studies that suggest it can reduce the risk of stress injuries, which i do seem to be prone to

ive seen some studies that suggest it can reduce the risk of stress injuries, which i do seem to be prone to
YES, 100% it does help. Whenever I adopt the barefoot or minimalist running style, I don't get the aforementioned shin splints at all. I definitely would not run barefoot or even in sandals where I live, I see a lot of used needles around.

YES, 100% it does help. Whenever I adopt the barefoot or minimalist running style, I don't get the aforementioned shin splints at all. I definitely would not run barefoot or even in sandals where I live, I see a lot of used needles around.
I’ve heard to start with barefoot hiking which I could definitely try.

I probably wouldnt go full barefoot either, but minimalist shoes do appeal to me

i really should see a PT to help with all this

i really should see a PT to help with all this
Dude, if you're doing ultras on the regular, you should at very least see a physiotherapist!! My older brother does 1-2 ultras a year, and he sees his physiotherapist so regularly that they are actually friends now :D

Yeah I need a break. Limping around today my ankle joints killing me. 😖 fuck these shoes

Requesting my light right after casting some shade... 🤔

...okay give me a bit haha.

Had an amazing run yesterday.

I'm actually starting to enjoy running again. Might get addicted. What I mean is I'm started to enjoy the act of running itself and not just the endorphins or feeling good afterwards :D

Done! Still waiting for official times to post but it was about 7.5 hrs

My feet hurt like hell and I can barely walk but I did it. Definitely looking for another one soon, it was a blast
Well done!!!! Amazing!! Well impressed Mr, that’s some going!!!

Had an amazing run yesterday.

I'm actually starting to enjoy running again. Might get addicted. What I mean is I'm started to enjoy the act of running itself and not just the endorphins or feeling good afterwards :D
There’s a runners high for sure. I HATE running when I start but be end I am in heaven. I love it. It’s what makes me run again. Haha that and the fact it burns calories. 👀

whether or not i enjoy running depends a bit on conditions and whether i let myself. i'm always trying to get a good pace or whatever and it leaves little time for enjoyment. i most enjoy the first halves of long runs cos then i never push my pace cos i know i need to conserve energy.

still, a few months back it started snowing the second i got out for a 15k, stopped the second i finished, my hands were so cold i could barely use my keys when i got home.

after a week and a bit break went out today. went ok. i'm at my parents now so i can't really compare times, we have more roads to cross and the green places have less even terrain, which is actually good cos i orginally started running to not die while on hiking trips and my ankles will benefit from that unevenness.