• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

@thegreenhand good luck!! i'm sure you'll smash it even if training hasn't gone as well as you'd hoped.

my ankle injury seems better. managed the slowest 5k i think i've ever done on tuesday, but i was just testing to see if i was healed. did a better pace today but gave up after 4k cos i had woken up at 4.30 hungover so feeling like crap.

will hopefully do a non hungover run tomorrow morning. its warm here. warm for england not like for a hot country. but i've noticed its having a huge impact on my heartrate- like its in the high range even when i'm running slowly. so i don't know how people in actual hot countries manage to run at all. i guess they are used to it. but i don't think i can expect to improve my speed while my heartrate is already elevated due to the temperature.
I have to run early morning now as the heat later on over here is an absolute bitch.

I have to run early morning now as the heat later on over here is an absolute bitch.
lol it's the total opposite here in Australia atm. It's about 35-40F in the mornings here, so if I was running I'd wait until it warmed up a little :)

lol it's the total opposite here in Australia atm. It's about 35-40F in the mornings here, so if I was running I'd wait until it warmed up a little :)
40-45 F is the perfect distance running temp. The winters here get pretty damn cold but then the summer is hot af. I was running down into the low 20’s farenheit during the winter. Any colder than that and I usually took the day off.

Last year in prison I ran in 95 F heat with a ton of humidity because we only got one yard a day because of covid, so I only had the early morning yard ince every three days.

I’m worried about the 10k I have coming up because it’s sometime after 9 A.M. because I believe the 5k is first at 9 A.M. So it may already be pretty hot by race time. In the 70’s for sure. I can run in the heat no problem, but it definitely fucks up my times.

I’m worried about the 10k I have coming up because it’s sometime after 9 A.M. because I believe the 5k is first at 9 A.M. So it may already be pretty hot by race time. In the 70’s for sure. I can run in the heat no problem, but it definitely fucks up my times.
That sucks, sometimes they start the longer races earlier for that exact reason, to avoid the heat.
If it's hot, make sure you utilise every single drink station and drink some water, even if you don't feel thirsty. You'll perform better, and recover better.

That sucks, sometimes they start the longer races earlier for that exact reason, to avoid the heat.
If it's hot, make sure you utilise every single drink station and drink some water, even if you don't feel thirsty. You'll perform better, and recover better.
Yeah, as it turns out the 10k is earlier, at 7 a.m. so it shouldn’t be bad, upper 60s F.

i said it before @thegreenhand and i'll say it again, you're weird. but in the nicest possible way.

good on ya. since doing the run to my parents life has overtaken me and got in the way of running big time. i tried yesterday but i think my electrolytes were out of whack due to stupidity on my behalf. hoping to get back into it when i've finished my move and start working towards my next goal of a half marathon.

i said it before @thegreenhand and i'll say it again, you're weird. but in the nicest possible way.
thanks, truly 🙂

good on ya. since doing the run to my parents life has overtaken me and got in the way of running big time. i tried yesterday but i think my electrolytes were out of whack due to stupidity on my behalf. hoping to get back into it when i've finished my move and start working towards my next goal of a half marathon.
have you found yourself especially craving salt? that's always a big sign for me. you'll be back to normal in no time though dont worry. when is the half marathon?

i've been bingeing/purging several times a day since saturday, i haven't been craving anything cos i've just felt so unwell.

no date for the half marathon, just a goal i set myself. but once i get my ED/alcohol use back under control i hope to sign up for one as i think it'll give me an extra boost.

i've been bingeing/purging several times a day since saturday, i haven't been craving anything cos i've just felt so unwell.

no date for the half marathon, just a goal i set myself. but once i get my ED/alcohol use back under control i hope to sign up for one as i think it'll give me an extra boost.
oh dang, i'm sorry

i think you're a lot stronger runner than you give yourself credit for. that half will be nothing

How much pain is too much pain?

Since I started running 12+ miles per week I'm getting a lot of pain and inflammation(?) which is mostly in my joints around both ankles

should I chill out? It's not that bad of pain but its consistent and isn't going away, kinda getting worse

I'm fairly sure it doesn't help that I continue drinking and go running with hangovers every time.... double inflammation... :'( I do stay hydrated, though

I don't want to injure myself again

Last edited:
How much pain is too much pain?

Since I started running 12+ miles per week I'm getting a lot of pain and inflammation(?) which is mostly in my joints around both ankles

should I chill out? It's not that bad of pain but its consistent and isn't going away, kinda getting worse

I'm fairly sure it doesn't help that I continue drinking and go running with hangovers every time.... double inflammation... :'( I do stay hydrated, though

I don't want to injure myself again
generally inflammation is a bad sign

muscle soreness is good - it should be felt first thing in the morning, lying down to sleep, when stretching, etc. pain is usually more localized, might be "sharper" and you can notice it when moving in certain ways. i.e. when you tweak it

take a week of just walking or very slow and short jogs and see how you feel after that

and yeah maybe avoid the hangovers ;)

generally inflammation is a bad sign

muscle soreness is good - it should be felt first thing in the morning, lying down to sleep, when stretching, etc. pain is usually more localized, might be "sharper" and you can notice it when moving in certain ways. i.e. when you tweak it

take a week of just walking or very slow and short jogs and see how you feel after that

and yeah maybe avoid the hangovers ;)
yeah I'll do that. Definitely not talking about regular muscle soreness.

I'd imagine this is what arthritis feels like... idk

yeah I'll do that. Definitely not talking about regular muscle soreness.

I'd imagine this is what arthritis feels like... idk
idk much about arthritis lol

but yeah a good rule of thumb is if your joints/bones hurt take some rest. if it's just muscle soreness you're good to go

forgot to add, how are your shoes? old/worn out shoes can really give me ankle pain

Well it’s showing storms all Saturday morning around 50% for the area my 10k is in. Rain is one thing, but with lightning they would have to call it off I’m sure. I’m gonna message the organization and see what they say.

forgot to add, how are your shoes? old/worn out shoes can really give me ankle pain
horrible cheap walmart shoes yeah, and my running form probably isn't the best. I don't heel strike, but I do land fairly flat footed

I took an aspirin and did a 5k and felt fine today really, the aspirin helps a lot, but gonna take 3-4 days off now

I think my good addidas runners are... somewhere I kinda lost them :'(