• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

^the best.

on cloudsurfers have been my running shoe for about a decade. bought a bunch of last year's discounted, and i have a little less than 100 miles left on my final pair. this year's model is the first of a new generation. people are complaining about it. i might try something new while they work out the kinks. kinda exciting.

also i set a course pr today. looking forward to thanksgiving day 10k with my little brother and possibly my father.

New 5k PR today 18:20 5:54/ mile.

I want a sub 18 so bad, but now it’s almost time to start a Marathon training block for a BQ attempt in April(sub-3 hour). Starting that block around December 18th. Plan to peak at 70 miles/week.

damn, sub 6! nice, @RDP89.

my sponsor is trying for a 20 minute 5k. they hit 20:35 on new year's.

i want a sub 7min/mile 5k. which i have achieved in the midst of a 10k, but failed at on new year's morning. haven't run many bibbed 5ks. is a tricky race. hard to start that fast. gonna sign up and try again soon. i know i can currently do it; i just gotta figure out the right pre-race warmup.

running shoes have been the bane of my existence lately. returned three pairs so far. fleet feet is being badass about that. i cannot stand these ridiculously foamy marshmallow soles, which eliminates like 75 percent of possible shoes. fuck on for changing their cloudsurfer. all their shoes run small now, which has never been the case before. for a decade on made the perfect running shoe. now they make everyday sneakers for trendy potatoes and are ruining their running shoes. i am resentful.

Last edited:
damn, sub 6! nice, @RDP89.

my sponsor is trying for a 20 minute 5k. they hit 20:35 on new year's.

i want a sub 7min/mile 5k. which i have achieved in the midst of a 10k, but failed at on new year's morning. haven't run many bibbed 5ks. is a tricky race. hard to start that fast. gonna sign up and try again soon. i know i can currently do it; i just gotta figure out the right pre-race warmup.

running shoes have been the bane of my existence lately. returned three pairs so far. fleet feet is being badass about that. i cannot stand these ridiculously foamy marshmallow soles, which eliminates like 75 percent of possible shoes. fuck on for changing their cloudsurfer. all their shoes run small now, which has never been the case before. for a decade on made the perfect running shoe. now they make everyday sneakers for trendy potatoes and are ruining their running shoes. i am resentful.
Yeah, your 5k pace should be significantly faster than your 10k pace. Like at least 10 seconds per mile faster mine is more like 25-30 though I do need to run more 10k races and bring my 10k PR down. I love the 5k distance. My only problem is going out too fast, though I reign it pretty quickly. Yeah if you do at least a ten minute warm up with strides mixed in that definitely helps.

Also, what is your training like? How much per week speed intervals and lactate threshold runs are you doing? Those workouts are the key for 5k speed.

I love running in hot weather. Summer is my jam. I would rather run in 100 degree heat over 60 degrees, is that weird? I just really hate the cold, its more physically painful than heat for me.

I've been doing 25-30 miles per week. Still casual :)

Just did some laps on the job back to work now (you’d spit your coffee out if you saw it, that awful)

Last edited:
dang! congrats.
Thanks! It was a tune up race during my marathon block and I really had no idea that I was going to/could run it that fast. But I was in second place and trying to stay with the guy in first and he just pulled me along lol.

I love running in hot weather. Summer is my jam. I would rather run in 100 degree heat over 60 degrees, is that weird? I just really hate the cold, its more physically painful than heat for me.

I've been doing 25-30 miles per week. Still casual :)
I’m liking training in the heat right now because of the adaptations it’s giving me, and with the Marathon I’m training for presumably being much cooler, it should feel that much easier. But overall, I much prefer the cool weather 40-60 degrees Farenheit. 100 degrees? that’s just ridiculous. I mean I’ve run before in 95 degrees and high humidity, but you have to slow down so much, hydrate, and wipe the sweat out of your fucking eyes every 2 minutes. It just becomes a slog. It’s hard to do quality training when it’s that hot. I did speed work one day when it was 92 degrees. I think it was 4x1 mile at like 6:00 mile pace,with jog recoveries, and it was ridiculously hard by the end. The heat hasn’t been bad here though, most days recently the high has been like 80. The days where it’s 90+ with high humidity I just go indoors in the treadmill. I have certain paces I have to hit for every run, and I have alot of ten plus mile runs, so Yeah, fuck that shit. The hottest I’ve run in this year was 88 degrees.

Part of the issue for me is I naturally sweat a lot... a ridiculous amount. They thought something was wrong with my thyroid as a kid because I sweat so much. I sweat similar amounts in both 50 or 90 degrees (really). My body only produces sweat in one mode: hyperdrive.

This is a problem when it's cold, because all that sweat makes me cold when I run, especially if windy. I hate it, and makes the run unenjoyable.

But an advantage in hot weather. By the 2nd or 3rd mile my shirt (if I'm wearing it) is literally soaked, every inch, even the sides. Keeps me cool.

I usually run with my shirt off, in hand, using it like windshield wipers for my face. Heh.

Oh yes, now I remember you mentioning that before. Wouldn’t that put you at even higher risk of dehydration when running in the heat?

Belleville Main Street Marathon Belleville, Illinois September 30th,2023. I ran 3:04:41. Tough conditions. 64 degrees at the start, 76 degrees Fahrenheit by the time I finished. Pretty happy with the result. Definitely going for Sub-3 in April.