• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Rugby World Cup 2007

Infinite Jest said:
I am going to hunt down and kill that referee.

By my count, France scored three legitimate points - their first penalty.
Second penalty: non-existent foul by McAlistair.
First try: scored while McAlistair was wrongly sinbinned.
Second try: apparently the rule against forward passes was suspended for the time it took France to score this try.

French defence was magnificent, but they got a hell of a lot of help from the officials.

I can't believe the ABs didn't try for a dropped goal, though. All that time to set one up, right in front of the posts, when they finally do it, it's from halfway.

Sigh. Good luck to France for the rest of the tournament. Would be good to see someone new win.

Oh Bugger off... A team as good as the all blacks should not have to use the ref as an excuse.

The all blacks did the same thing as australia, they simply didn't look like they wanted it. The intensity picked up in the last 5 minutes and they strung some decnt play together there but the French defence was brilliant.

The only valid point you make there is the foward pass. One foward pass undid the all blacks? I think not.

As for the wallabies. Shithouse. I still cannot believe it but watching the replay, they got hammered at the breakdown. The english fowards were on the spot within seconds. We couldnt get the ball quick enough. The backs had no room the whole match. Ashley-cooper for mitchell was a mistake imho but I don't think it would have made any difference.

^
So you're saying that a wrongly awarded penalty, in a game we lost by 2 points, had no bearing on the outcome? It's a perfectly valid point.

And I forgot to add in the way the ref called advantage then stopped as soon as McAlistair kicked his drop goal attempt. Every other match of rugby I've ever seen, when that happens, the ref calls play back for a penalty. Not this guy. He was useless.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments about the AB's, either. The intensity for the last five minutes looked pretty similar to most of the second half, to me: we had at least three periods where we were driving to the French line and took the ball through maybe 20-30 phases. Nothing wrong with our play there; it took some magnificent defence from the French to stop us scoring more than one try from those positions.

Plus our scrum and lineout bettered theirs. If you look at the stats, we killed them on every measure, except tackles. Their tacking was unbelievably good, and that won them the game. (With some help from the ref...).

[and btw, please don't swear at me, or anyone else. Thanks :)]

I'm sooooo gutted. Been drinking since the loss and I'm still no better. No work tomorrow. I'm taking a personal day. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Infinite Jest said:
^
So you're saying that a wrongly awarded penalty, in a game we lost by 2 points, had no bearing on the outcome? It's a perfectly valid point.

And I forgot to add in the way the ref called advantage then stopped as soon as McAlistair kicked his drop goal attempt. Every other match of rugby I've ever seen, when that happens, the ref calls play back for a penalty. Not this guy. He was useless.

I agree with all of this.

The problem is that NZ could have done so much better. Over the last few games we've got too methodical. We should've played with our hearts and not our heads. We're better than this but got beaten psychologicly.

Most overated sports team in history.

I hate how we don't even sing our national anthem. That says a lot.:\

This is what Murrey Deaker says....

Sadly we are a dumb rugby nation, we don't play the big matches well," he said.

"We play them in a boofhead way. We were a bunch of boofheads playing out there tonight against a French side that isn't that good. On the big occasions we choke."
Yes, we CHOKE.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/story.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10468419

Last edited:
I am gutted that I was deliberately avoiding it 8o and I have paid the price by missing what must have tasted all the sweeter for beating those self assured uberconfident elitist stylee smart arse tosspots our dear cousins the Australians.=D =D =D =D

Commiserations and well played Australia ;) , shall we say hip hip hooray and all that fake sporting ethos bullshit and pretend that national pride is an irrelevance =D %) compared to the playing of the game well & fairly & for the love of the sport.;)

Fuck you OZtrailear ha ha ha:D

GOD I am so delighted, :D I presume feigned indiferrence will be the order of the day from the colonials ?:)

Awaits comments like " well we've won it so many times we really aren't bothered, in fact we wanted to lose so we could go to the zoo etc" ;)

If I am truthful all this lauding it over the losers is simply my way of hating Adam Gilchrist:p & if the opportunity arises to hate Gilchrist:p well I am gonna take it!

Gilchrist :X :X :X :X = cunt:!

Wow what a couple of amazing results! Hopefully we (Scotland) can beat the Argies and have 3 northern teams in the semis, after getting given little hope of achieveing anything. Maybe this will stop the All BLacks stealing all the Samoa and Fiji Players ;)

chopped_chimp said:
The problem is that NZ could have done so much better. Over the last few games we've got too methodical. We should've played with our hearts and not our heads. We're better than this but got beaten psychologicly.

Most overated sports team in history.

I hate how we don't even sing our national anthem. That says a lot.:\

True, but if we'd thrown it around and lost they'd have said we should have shut the game down. Just like how rotation is being blamed, but if we'd played our top team all the way through, they'd have said we should have rotated to give the reserves game time after Carter and Collins went off.

I've calmed down a bit now (my original rant about the ref was two minutes after the game ;)).

We should have won; but we're not good enough to beat another top team, when they play well and we get a few decisions against us. That's the real lesson, the All Blacks are not the untouchable best team in the world, they're one of the best teams. But the top teams are close enough that any one of them will have to do well (and maybe have some luck) to win the Cup.

But I have to say, if that forward pass had been called back, the game write-up would be "valiant French defence not enough: Les Bleus absorbed wave after wave of NZ attacks and somehow stayed within touching distance, even though they had no possession and no territory. They can hold their heads high after a fine performance". There would have been none of this "NZ didn't deserve to win" talk :)

Fully agree about the passion; but it's not NZ culture, it's NZ rugby. I've started going to the Wgtn Phoenix games, and the atmosphere is 10x better than at the Lions, or even the Hurricanes. NZ soccer fans will sing, and chant, and take their shirts off and wave them around their heads; the rugby fans sit back and wait to be entertained, or rely on playing chants over the loudspeakers.

Oh, after that rant: as a neutral, this has been a good cup. Some close tense games, some upsets, some brave and honourable performances from the minnows (NZ-Portugal was especially moving).

Hey McFly, didn't Scotland build a team around the white guys that NZ didn't want, a few seasons ago? ;) At least most of our Samoans grew up in NZ ;)

very disappointed that the wallabies went down. Our front row just couldn't keep it together. Because of that we got very little quick clean ball from the set piece, and were constantly coughing up possession. It is VERY hard to win the game without possession and territory... Our defence was fantastic though. But then it usually is.

At least it was a close game.

The only problem now is that I have to cheer on South Africa... ;)

CB :)

what a weekend!

firstly, what the fuck australia... that was a shambles. scrummaging was appalling. too many mistakes let possession slip. a juddering, crushingly bad performance.

secondly, what the fuck england... i think the team should just be renamed 'jonny' and do away with everyone else. what will you do without him? it would have been nice to see just one try, after all...

thirdly, i think aus-eng was a shit game.

fourthly, nice job france. i couldn't believe the air of grim, clutching despair which seemed to infuse the all blacks. an absolutely cracking game though.

fifthly, i do like argentina.

sixthly, well done fiji, you fucking legends.

and seventhly... come on south africa. wobbly in parts and fiji made the moving play look somewhat pedestrian but they still came through.

oh, and finally, can someone put martin johnson out of his misery... before he continue to inflict it upon us. for wank's sake cheer up you sullen, pointless dickhead :D methinks he needs to attend media classes and consider a charisma implant. compare him to pienaar...

p.s. B9, do you have a problem with adam gilchrist? i'm sorry english cricket is so abysmal... see you next ashes, old boy :D gilchrist is a fucking legend the likes of which england haven't seen for decades. i do hope he keeps you up at night with his awesomeness!

i loathe rugby has much has every right thinking man but it's always good to stuff it up the aussies.

Yeah, well done Fiji, sounds like they put up a real good fight. And of course, bravo Argentina. I already support Argentina in soccer, it goes without saying I am cheering for them now :) (followed by France).

*sigh* Muliaina at centre instead of fullback because he's better on defence; meanwhile the man they call The Rock*, who normally plays at centre, is criminally underappreciated and at home in Wellington. (*Ma'a Nonu).

Infinite Jest: Sorry mate, I was pretty harsh there. I'm a bit sick of this focus on the referee from every New Zealander I meet. I still think that you should have won regardless... A very insipid perfomance imho.

I was a bit taken aback my Muliaina at inside centre. How long has that been going on? I thought he was a great fullback. I didn't see the rationale behind leaving Howlett out either...

^
No worries; I was posting about 10 minutes after the game so I was over the top myself - it's taken me most of the week to get over it :)

Centre has been a problem this year with Umaga retired, Smith injured and Non'u out of form. As for Howlett, there's a strong case for having him in the team, but Rokocoko and Sivavatu are pretty damn good (they both have better scoring records than Howlett).

Just started watching France-England; looks to be a better and more open game, though still a bit too much kicking for my taste :)

Well....wow!

England in the final. I doubt many people were predicting that when they lost 36-0 to SA.

Notwithstanding my comment just above, it didn't turn out to be a very good game IMO. Once again the team with possession and territory loses. I am now reduced to cheering for South Africa, on the grounds that they're the only team that can stop England ;)

Nope. This world cup has Argentina's name all over it now:)

If they do win- it would be the best thing for world rugby.

England don't deserve the world cup.

Un-fucking-believable! =D=D =D

What an incredible turnaround in England's fortunes. From shamefully humiliating capitulation to the Springboks to World Cup finalists in the space of a few weeks. I'm singing into the wind in this thread, but the strength of character that the England team have shown to get this far is exceptional.

Having said that, the game against France was a pretty crap one I have to admit, but a win is a win. :)

South Africa v Argentina is going to be a bruising encounter tonight. I'd love for the Pumas to win, because, as jude101 alludes to, it would be great for world rugby, & I'd fancy England's chances against them better than the Springboks. Although the self-belief in the Argentinians is all-consuming, so who knows......

Whatever the result: bring it on! =D

PinholeStar said:
I'm singing into the wind in this thread, but the strength of character that the England team have shown to get this far is exceptional.

I don't think anyone of us would argue with you on that. England are clearly not the best team in the world right now; but they are in the final and they've beaten two good teams to get there. If they win the Cup, I don't think anyone will say they don't deserve it (though if Argentina beat SA then the Springboks might have something to say about that :)).

Watched the first half SA-Argentina; looking like a good game and I love the way the Pumas run the ball, but SA are just a little too professional, a little too strong on defence.

But wait! Argentina score! 24-11! Game on?

[Apparently the English commentators are claiming the (Kiwi) ref hates England and is trying to ensure SA win. He has made some bad decisions, which won't surprise any Wellington fans - we hate him with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. Why can't Kaplan just ref all the games?]

Yeah yeah blame the ref, the saffas were superior under every aspect except maybe sheer scrum force. That was a good clean win.