• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Rugby World Cup 2007

PinholeStar

Bluelighter
So it all kicks off on the 7th of September.

I for one can't wait, & it's promising to be a great tournament. =D

newzealand4gallery470x2ap0.jpg

The mighty All Blacks are the odds-on favourites of course, but their aura of invincibility has slipped ever so slightly recently, & they've shown signs of weakness & fallibility this year. Will the enormous expectations be too much for them?

france2gallery470x311uz0.jpg

France can lay claim to be the best of the Northern hemisphere sides, have the home advantage, & history on their side too: with the exception of Wales in '99 the host nation has reached the final every time. With a solid defence & match-winners such as the ferocious Sebastien Chabal they'll be a potent threat.

1ausnzg468x403yt1.jpg

Australia, as always, will be right up there because.......well, they're Australian. Stirling Mortlock has been an inspirational captain of late, they're the only team to have actually beaten the All Blacks recently, & they tend to peak at the right time. The one problem for them, & the one that I think will ultimately be their undoing is the occasional weakness of the front row.

fburger01mbc9633fpx3.jpg

South Africa are the last of the 'Big Four' that have every chance of going all the way. For sheer bludgeoning sledgehammer power no team can match them - see the picture above for an example of what their opponents have to contend with - but is that enough to win the tournament?

Of the other teams I think Ireland are the most likely to produce a major upset, as any team with O'Driscoll & Darcy in the centre is capable of being lethal on their day. As depressing as it is for me to admit, England have very little chance of defending their title, such has been their decline since 2003. This tournament will be a last hurrah for some wily old dogs such as Robinson, Dallaglio & Catt, but not much more I fear.

Argentina are my dark horses. If they can manage to navigate their way out of the pool of death (which means beating one of France or Ireland) then they could cause a real upset in the later stages of the tournament. With one of the most physical & powerful packs in the world they might just be worth keeping an eye on - the opening game aginst France should be a good one.

My overall prediction: a France v New Zealand final, with Richie McCaw lifting the Webb-Ellis trophy.

Anyone else? Thoughts? Predictions? Hopes? Any girls that fancy Dan Carter?

Well I was going to start this thread, but hey, you've done it a hell of a lot better than I was going to, with pictures and all!! :)

My heart says that the Aussies will get up, but my head says that is going to be a difficult proposition... however we may be able to exploit the typical kiwi semi-final fragility ;)

Argentina will probably be fucking pissed again at being put into a group of death... they have one of the biggest and most menacing forward packs in the game, and they get shafted in the group stages... last world cup they had Australia and Ireland to contend with... this time Ireland and France... they pretty much deserve to get through to the next round, but the draw never favours them... eh... they can cope ;)

CB :)

I'm like 99% of all New Zealanders anywhere in the world. I've been waiting for this tournament for nearly 4 years....

I'll be watching every game and hoping like hell that this time we can pull it off.

I think the preparations we have put in this time are extraordinary. Never before has an All Black team been so focused on one trophy. I'm not saying that has been a great thing for world rugby, especially as during the Super 14 we rested our star players for the start of the season. However, it has definitely built depth in our squad and we genuinely have a couple of different teams we could play at any one time. The rotation policy has hugely helped that.

So yeah....I think we're the best in the world. Again. Just like every other year before the Cup. Can we win it? Maybe. I think Australia will be hard in the semi's, they always rise to the challenge. France are also looking strong however I can't stop thinking about the floggings we gave them at home last year. South Africa can play some very good rugby. I just think they have too many internal problems to get any sort of consistency going.

But yes, we will be taking home Bill this year and all the bragging rights that come with him!!!!

It's written in the stars!!!!!

DavidKirkRWC1987.jpg

my heart is with new zealand (for obvious reasons), ireland (they play a beautiful game imo)... but also with south africa.

whoever wins, whatever happens, i'm really looking forward to it... if only they could postpone the start by a week so i could finish my dissertation first ;)

Im new to the whole Rugby thing....Thanks to the Brits im getting into it....but i think if i watch enough (ill also be the lone American playing in an all British league....yea ill have a target on my chest but whatever...Ill show these Brits that American football players can def hang in a Rugby match %) )

Well naturally ill be rooting for the US but I doubt they go very far....So when they get knocked off Ill be rooting for England...

hi. i asked this a couple months ago in a similar thread, but is tanzania in the tourney? i haven't talked to my cousin in several months, but he is a captain. it would be their first showing. :)

Nope, they didn't make it :(

The official list of countries is:

England
Australia
New Zealand
France
South Africa
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Samoa
Italy
Fiji
Argentina
USA
Romania
Canada
Georgia
Tonga
Japan
Portugal
Namibia

Great to hear that Tanzania have a rugby team though :)

^
Yeah, but some of these matchups are going to be ridiculous. NZ v Portugal? NZ could replace half their team with me and six of my mates, and still win.

It's quite ridiculous when Scotland have said they'll rest their best players against the ABs, because they can't beat us, and when the All Blacks coach is talking up the threat posed by Italy....

Suess: why the NZ support when you should be cheering either of our bitterest rivals? Not that I'm complaining....

LapDawg said:
Dan Carter = win.

QFT.

Unlike chopped_chimp, I am terrified by this tournament. I really cannot handle the prospect of us losing again. Of course, if we win its the start of a dynasty, because we'll then surely win at home in 2011. If we lose, then the pressure in 2001 becomes intolerable. It would be a national disaster.....

Still, we have the players. We have the depth (even with my boys Weepu and Non'u left behind in Wellington). We can do this :)

[edit: IJ, well... you have a damn good team and have had a lot of near misses, to put it lightly. unfulfilled promise tends to endear me to a team. i like your game, perhaps not as much as Wales on a good day, but the All Blacks in full flow is still a sight to behold. also i fundamentally don't care about rugby as much as cricket, so as long as australia do well on the ovals i don't mind what happens to its meatheads ;). and i will be cheering for South Africa just as much as for New Zealand...]

there's much soul-seaching amongst the rugby commentariat... is it dangerous for Portugese amateurs to face All Black uber professionals? is it wrong to deny the small teams the experience and opportunities afforded by a match with a world-leading squad?

Argentina! Argentina!

What a great result!

I only saw the last 20 minutes and it was heartstopping stuff, the French always looked like scoring. The Argies missed two relatively easy penalties that would have given them an 8 point lead late on, but they did it!

Course, this means NZ has to play France in the quarters, I think.....oh well....

Anyone see the opening ceremony? Looked like a bunch of weedy guys dressed up in American football outfits as imagined by a Playstation designer on acid....very weird.....

^^ Well done to the Puma's, however what a shocking game! The only time I thought the French might score was when they had the rolling maul going. Even then they were too predictable! They kept waiting for their whole pack to regroup before they attempted to move the ball forward and over the line. The Puma's owned them in defence!

The rest of the game was scrappy. I don't know who the Puma's first five is but I don't think he could kick the ball out if there was no one on the feild! His dropped goals were awful too. Speaking of which....I HATE DROP GOALS!!! As one of the commentators said, this Cup will again be won by field position. Probably, however I hope open rugby by teams like Wales and NZ prevails and forces teams to score try's.

Well done to Argentina. That helps Ireland too. Facing France in the quarters is a nasty prospect for NZ. However if they play like today we will crush them. The problem is that you never know what team will turn up. (like the Warriors...grrr)

I can't wait for tonight!!!!

Ireland

The old country, can´t see past them for anybody;)

Well I kinda predicted that this would happen... Argentina are quite a strong squad with massive forwards... This really shakes up that pool, and gives Ireland a massive chance to take France out of the World Cup entirely... which would be a very very interesting development...

anyways, I'm looking forward to tonight!! C'mon you Aussies, not that Japan should be a challenge, but hey :)

CB :)

argentina looked super-lively in the first 20 minutes... i felt excited when they had the ball, unlike france who just looked shit. good on ya argies!!!

20 minutes gone, and New Zealand are 40 without loss.....

I'm sorry, New Zealand are beating Italy 40-nil.

Let me revise my comment above: me, 13 of my mates, and Richie McCaw could beat Portugal....

^^

Richie McCaw could probably do it by himself... the pressure that he puts on them just by being on the field is enough to make them drop the ball and run away like pansies ;)

That said, Carn you Wallabies... 88 - 3 or something over Japan... really not surprising... keep it up :)