• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Roadside Drug Testing....

There's also considerable difference in peak levels between the + and - stereo-isomers. Repeated administration results in a much higher level of the - isomer (less affinity for 2D6 I think) which peaks hours after the peak of the + according to Mendelson and colleagues. From memory, this work was done 1999- 2000.

I'm confused.. From the Herald Sun, it says that the drug test will commence in Victoria on the 13th of December but from earlier threads, ABC news has stated that the drug test will start in regional Victoria on the 1st of December.. So what date does it start for regional Victoria? 8(

The legislation has allowed it to start since 1st July. I think it'd probably be best to assume it's happening right now, even if there may or may not still be a few days left.

ohhh we were in panic mode the other day. we were driving down flinders st in melb, heading from one club to another, (day club) when up ahead we saw a few (wat looked like booze/drug busses) with lights flashing. so of course we got paranoid right away and pulled over, i wasnt driving. then we got out of the car and had a better look, and realized they were ambulances, and that we were gona turn off bout 20m before them anyway. but we were shitting ourselves, lol. its funny now, but wasnt at the time.
yeh ive heard they r comin in on the 13th. but there has been pics of them using them in the papers and stuff, so i dont know wat to think...
oh well, thats my story for the day.

[Edit: Venue details removed. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
Big misake pulling over. They always put patrol cars all over the place around booze busses, and their job is to look for people who apear to shit themselves when they see the flashing lights. The surest way to get tested is to either pull over, take a side street, or make a U-turn, cos a car will be after you in no time.

I'd assume they'll do a similar thing with the drug bus.

^^^ Exactly. You'll also find that where possible they place booze/drug buses in positions where you can't turn away once you see them, and also so when you see them you have just crested a hill, so if you try to swap drivers the cops can see the sillouette.

hoptis said:
Like... would someone busted have any legal recourse to complain if they felt that their being targetted by the "drugs bus" wasn't random?

It doesn't need to be random. Just like breath tests now, they can pull you over because they suspect you of driving under the influence. This is often the pretence used to pull someone over when they actually want to check out something else (like an illegally modified car for instance)

hoptis said:
Apparently these tests are quite expensive to administer so it's likely that police are going to test only people they think are under the influence.

When they were doing the trials the tests cost around $2-3 each. Now that they have been approved and will be being bought in mega-bulk, the price will be significantly cheaper. Also, if they have any kind of success in catching people, it will be very easy to justify whatever cost it took.

Originally posted by hoptis
Pop Popavich: Noticed you are also down on the roll call for Kryal next month. You know you could become the most popular Bluelighter EVER if you brought one of these kits to the meet up there!! =D

"Sorry, you can't enter the maze, your test result is positive"

;) Done and done, I should have a few to play with, so I'll need some volunteers.....

I think its a good thing, kind of. Only because I think cars are evil and the more ppl forced of the roads and onto public transport the better. Maybe then more ppl will stop supporting stupid things like a toll-free scoresby freeway and start demanding their tax dollar be spent upgrading PT infrastructure and efficiency. In the last ten years victoria has spent $200 million on the rail system whereas its spent $4 billion on new feeways, yet traffic congestion has only gotten worse. More roads equals more traffic, less road users equals better public transport.

Drug-drive tests back clampdown
Ashley Gardiner, transport reporter
08dec04

DRIVERS who have recently smoked cannabis tend to veer into the path of other traffic.

This potentially deadly impact of drug-driving was determined during research at Swinburne University.

Researchers gave volunteers legally-sanctioned doses to test the effects of illicit drugs on driving ability.

The findings come as police prepare to start Victoria's world-first random roadside saliva testing for cannabis and methamphetamines next Monday.

A separate series of tests were performed to determine the accuracy of the saliva testing devices police will use.

About 40 volunteers smoked cannabis cigarettes before attempting to drive in a simulator, drugs and driving research unit co-ordinator Katherine Papafotiou said.

"We saw impairment in maintaining a steady position within traffic lanes," Dr Papafotiou told the Herald Sun.

Regular cannabis users were found to have higher levels of THC, the active component of cannabis, in their system.

But this did not necessarily mean regular smokers had lower ability behind the wheel.

"In this particular project, non-regular users performed worse," Dr Papafotiou said. "We did find more errors the higher the dose of cigarette that was smoked."

In another test to determine the effects of amphetamines, volunteers were found to:

WRONGLY use indicators, not use them or leave them on after turning.

FAIL to stop at red lights.

HAVE slower reactions to emergency situations.

Dr Papafotiou said the effects of amphetamines were greater during

the day.

"We attribute that to amphetamines inducing tunnel vision," she said.

"Individuals focus their attention on one particular aspect of the visual field, while ignoring objects to the left or right."

Volunteers, who are paid to be in the laboratory for up to six hours, must have used the drugs before.

Those interested in being a volunteer should call 9214 5341.

Source
I wonder what would be involved in volunteering? How anonymous would it be? Would you show up on A Current Affair two weeks later with some lame arse attempt to blur your face?

I gotta admit, I'm kinda curious - if only to find out what my own body is like when it comes to metabolising these drugs. Could be the only way to get any kind of idea how sensitive these tests really are.

VICTORIA - Roadside drug testing Procedures, penalties & FAQ

FYI peoples......

Testing Procedures

Random drug driving tests will be conducted in a similar way to current random breath tests. A drug bus similar to a booze bus will be used.

Step 1:

Drivers will be required to provide a saliva sample by placing an absorbent collector in their mouth or touching it on their tongue until a sample is collected. The sample will be screened at the roadside, with the result determined within approximately five minutes. Drug tests will be conducted by specially trained and authorised police officers.

Step 2:

Drivers who return a negative drug test will not be detained further. Drivers who return positive test results will be required to accompany police to a drug bus and provide a second saliva sample.

Step 3:

Drivers who produce a positive result to the second sample will be interviewed according to normal police procedure, and the sample sent to a laboratory for analysis. The driver will be provided with a portion of the second sample, which they may choose to have independently analysed.

Step 4:

Once the process is complete, the driver will be allowed to leave, although they will not be permitted to drive their vehicle. No infringement will be issued or charge laid until the results of the laboratory analysis are known. Drivers will be informed within a few weeks if the laboratory analysis confirms an illicit drug was present and they are to be fined or prosecuted for an offence.

********** Penalties************

The drug driving campaign is about improving road safety. Legislation prevents the evidence of saliva testing being used in court proceedings for non road safety offences.

First offence (Traffic Infringement Notice)
$307 fine
3 demerit points

First offence (Court penalty)
Up to $614 fine
Up to three months’ licence cancellation** where conviction recorded.

Second and subsequent offence (Court penalty)
Up to $1,227 fine
Up to six months’ licence cancellation** where conviction recorded.

Refusal to provide sample
First offence (Court penalty)
Up to $614 fine
Up to three months’ licence cancellation** where conviction recorded.

Second and subsequent offence (Court penalty)
Up to $1,227 fine
Up to six months’ licence cancellation** where conviction recorded.

*These penalties apply to the 2003-04 financial year

** People who lose their licence as a result of drug driving offence must undertake a drug education and assessment course before being eligible to get their licence back.

Answer and Question time kiddies

1. When will random roadside saliva testing for drug driving commence?

Police have the power to randomly test any driver on Victorian roads under laws that came into effect on December 1, 2004.

2. Who will be required to undertake a random roadside saliva test?

Any driver in Victoria may be required to undertake a saliva test for the recent consumption of illicit drugs. In the same way that tests for drink driving are random, drug driving tests are also random and target all motorists on Victorian roads. Vehicle passengers will not be required to undertake saliva tests.

3. Why is random roadside saliva testing for illicit drugs being introduced?

Drug driving is a major cause of road deaths in Victoria . In 2003, 31 per cent of drivers killed in Victoria tested positive to drugs other than alcohol.
Research shows that a driver who has recently consumed THC (the active component in cannabis) or methamphetamines (speed) is at the same risk of having a crash as a driver with a BAC above 0.05.
Random roadside saliva testing for illicit drugs is part of the Bracks Government’s arrive alive! road safety strategy to reduce the road toll by 20 per cent by 2007.

4. What drugs will be detected with saliva tests?

Random roadside saliva tests will detect the presence of THC (the active component in cannabis) and methamphetamine (speed), also known as ice or crystal meth.

5. What about other illicit drugs?

While saliva testing will not be used to detect illicit drugs other than THC (the active component in cannabis) and methamphetamines (speed), current drug impaired driving laws will continue to be used to detect drivers impaired by other illicit drugs, such a heroin.

6. Will my medications be detected?

The saliva tests to be used in Victoria will not detect the presence of prescription drugs or common over the counter medications, such as cold and flu tablets. Saliva tests will only detect THC (the active component in cannabis) and methamphetamines (speed) - substances that are not legally prescribed in Australia.

7. Why are saliva samples being used to test for the consumption of illicit drugs?

Saliva samples are used because they are easy to collect and can be screened using a quick, easy and accurate method to detect the presence of THC (the active component in cannabis) and methamphetamines (speed).

8. How reliable is saliva testing for illicit drugs?

Saliva screening is an accurate and reliable method for detecting the recent consumption of methamphetamines (speed) and THC (the active component in cannabis). All saliva drug screening devices will be required to meet rigorous standards of accuracy. Before any charge can be laid, the presence of THC or methamphetamine in the saliva sample must be confirmed by laboratory testing.

9. For drivers who return positive results to roadside saliva tests, when and how will they receive results from laboratory analyses?

Drivers will be informed within a few weeks of the roadside saliva test being conducted that their saliva test laboratory analysis confirms an illicit drug was present and that they are to be fined or prosecuted for an offence.

10. Will drivers who return positive results to roadside saliva tests be allowed to drive before laboratory analysis of the test is complete?

Drivers will not be permitted to drive immediately after positive roadside saliva test. Drivers may choose to wait at the roadside until an illicit drug is no longer present. Alternatively, they can leave and return to collect their vehicle at a time which will be advised by the police. Once an illicit drug is no longer present, drivers will be allowed to drive prior to receiving the results of their saliva test laboratory analysis.

11. Will saliva samples be destroyed when the testing process is complete?

Yes. All saliva samples will be destroyed at the completion of the testing process. A NATA (National Association of Testing Authorities) accredited laboratory will be used to conduct the testing and the samples will be destroyed.

12. Can drivers refuse to undertake a saliva test for illicit drugs?

Random roadside saliva tests for illicit drugs are mandatory. Drivers who are pulled over for a random roadside saliva test are required by law to undertake the test. Drivers who refuse to undertake the test will be committing an offence and be subject to serious penalties.

13. What if I am unable to provide a saliva sample?

Drivers who are unable to supply a saliva sample will be required to supply a blood sample to test for the recent consumption of illicit drugs. Authorised health professionals will take blood samples. There is also a provision enabling police to take urine samples for testing.

14. Where will roadside saliva testing for illicit drugs be conducted?

Roadside saliva testing is random and may be conducted anywhere throughout Victoria .

15. How long will a drug test take?

An initial saliva test will take around five minutes. Drivers who return a positive result to the initial sample will require further tests. The total time for these drivers could be up to approximately 30 minutes.

16. Will I be required to leave my vehicle to undertake a roadside saliva test?

Most roadside saliva tests can be conducted through the driver’s window, in a similar way that preliminary breath tests for alcohol are conducted. In some cases, however, drivers may be required to get out of their vehicle. As with breath tests, drivers who return a positive result to the first test will be required to leave their vehicle to accompany police officers to the drug bus for further testing.

17. How long after consuming illicit drugs can they be detected?

The consumption of THC (the active component in cannabis) will be detected for several hours after use. The actual time after consumption that THC will be detected depends on the THC strength of the cannabis used and on the driver’s metabolism. Drivers who may have inactive THC residue in their bodies from use in previous days/weeks will not be detected.

Methamphetamines (speed) may be detected for approximately 24 hours after use. These drugs can affect the ability of a driver to safely control his or her car for at least this period of time. Extremely large doses, other drugs taken at the same time, and differences in individual metabolism may affect the duration of the effects of these drugs.

18. Will other substances mask detection of drugs?

No. There is no evidence to suggest that any substance will mask detection of either THC (the active component in cannabis) or methamphetamines (speed), using the saliva drug testing procedure.

19. Can drivers charged for drug driving also be charged for offences relating to drug possession and use?

The drug driving campaign is about increasing road safety – not drug detection. Legislation prevents the evidence of saliva tests being used in court proceedings for non road safety offences.

20. Does this mean that drivers who test positive to roadside drug tests will not be searched, or have their vehicles or property searched?

Police will carry out further investigations for drug offences, which may include searches, only when there is sufficient information to suggest that a serious drug offence is being committed.

21. Will drug tests be used for DNA testing?

Legislation prevents the evidence of saliva tests being used in court proceedings for non road safety offences. It specifically prohibits the use of the sample for DNA profiling, and it is a serious offence for anyone to perform a DNA analysis from a sample taken for the purpose of roadside drug screening. The sample will not be used in DNA testing.

22. What will drivers who return positive saliva test results for illicit drugs be charged with?

Driving whilst exceeding the prescribed concentration of a prescribed illicit drug.

23. Will the legislation enabling Victoria Police to conduct random roadside saliva testing for the illicit drugs be reviewed?
Yes. The legislation enabling Victoria Police to conduct roadside testing of drivers for the recent consumption of illicit drugs will undergo review to assess the effectiveness of the initiative and the need for any legislative changes.

DRIVE SAFE PEOPLES.

The article contains a nice example of poetic license...

Journalist: "DRIVERS who have recently smoked cannabis tend to veer into the path of other traffic. This potentially deadly impact of drug-driving was determined during research at Swinburne University."

Researcher: '"We saw impairment in maintaining a steady position within traffic lanes," Dr Papafotiou told the Herald Sun.'

Maintaining a steady position and weaving all over the road are clearly opposite ends of the impairment scale...

BigTrancer :)

Seeing that saliva is the first test, there must be some way of masking. I've heard of rinsing the mouth with vinegar but obviously I am not certain this will work. What i am certain about is there must be some way of concealing.

quiet roar said:
Seeing that saliva is the first test, there must be some way of masking. I've heard of rinsing the mouth with vinegar but obviously I am not certain this will work. What i am certain about is there must be some way of concealing.
I don't think the point is to have drugs, take the wheel, and use a masking agent to alter the test result. If you plan on having drugs use public transport, split a cab to a friends house where you can all sleep it off, encourage event organisers to provide free shuttle buses to and from train stations, have a designated driver, or be picked up in the morning. You should all take this a wake up call and create safer organised alternatives which reduce the possible harm caused to yourself, and other drivers.

Hear, Hear CM. If the drug using community wants to drive while having active metabolite in their system, it'll serve as further proving to the conservative right wing that the group as a whole cannot be trusted / considered responsible. Compliance, on the other hand, puts even more pressure on those who think that drunk driving is less of an evil than drugged driving.

^^ exactly, Mac. I have no patience for those who want to fool this test, or alcohol driving tests.

When you are driving you can endanger many more people than just yourself. This is why roadside testing is different to workplace testing. In most people's workplaces there is no chance that your personal use is going to endanger anyone. That form of testing is simply policing your lifestyle, which is unacceptable. It is nobody's business how you spent the weekend.

However if you have had drugs immediately before driving a car, a lethal weapon which could kill you, your friends, and many people have never met, such testing is important.

Sure the system is probably flawed, and will take many years and court cases to sort out, but it doesn't change the fact that there is no excuse for driving when you are impaired by anything, be it drink drugs or lack of sleep.

Research shows that a driver who has recently consumed THC (the active component in cannabis) or methamphetamines (speed) is at the same risk of having a crash as a driver with a BAC above 0.05.

It would be interesting to know at what amounts they are comparing this with.

Cheers for the information bunny.

It does raise an interesting point though, a driver under the influence of a couple of beers vs what. Is this 5 bucket bongs or half a spliff. Makes a big difference.

Although a driver should never be behind the wheel impaired by anything it would be interesting to know how the research came to these conclusions.