• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP PhreeX

Why am I just finding out about this now?

RIP BRO, Without you BL wouldn't be what it has become.

yes, this is very sad news. RIP geez.

PhreeX told me about the time he OD'd in 2002.

He didnt want me to tell people he was planning this, but it was a deliberate suicide.

Please send me a private message with any information you have from PhreeX about these intentions, and why. Thank you

Smyth.......umm not to be rude but wtf man. Such sentiments are not to be posted regardless of what he told you. Talking to his family instead of posting what you said would have been much better. I dont see what you stand to gain by saying that HERE. Although he is gone doesnt mean its time to air stuff about him that he (might) have told you. Its better that we remember the man for what he was a dedicated bluelighter and of course a friend and relation to many. Your comments authentic or not smirk of insensitivity and lack of regard to his family . Dunno if you wish to but please edit your post lets give the guy some respect even in death regardless of how he may have died accord him the dignity and respect he deserves from us by not publisizing confidential details on this thread. These are my feelings on the matter as i am sure i would not like that to happen if it were me.

the time i joined BL he was modding OD.
i think he did a great job regarding "harm reduction",
he also posted some of the funniest stories on here.

rip

Smyth.......umm not to be rude but wtf man. Such sentiments are not to be posted regardless of what he told you. Talking to his family instead of posting what you said would have been much better. I dont see what you stand to gain by saying that HERE. Although he is gone doesnt mean its time to air stuff about him that he (might) have told you. Its better that we remember the man for what he was a dedicated bluelighter and of course a friend and relation to many. Your comments authentic or not smirk of insensitivity and lack of regard to his family . Dunno if you wish to but please edit your post lets give the guy some respect even in death regardless of how he may have died accord him the dignity and respect he deserves from us by not publisizing confidential details on this thread. These are my feelings on the matter as i am sure i would not like that to happen if it were me.

well said friend. this is not the place, specially with his family here to post true or untrue things about someone whos no longer with us.

My heart goes out to Phreex's Mom and little sis<3

PhreeX and I created the Other Drugs forum together and were the original mods along with creating the first BL IRC channel.

We went back further than that since we actually knew each other online as far back as 1994. This was years before we met in person. We were both central FLers... the original BL crew. Fun times especially in 1998.

The last time I saw him in person was in the 90s and we chatted last back in 2005. Since that time him and I lost touch. I was just Googling his name today and learned about his death. :(

Dave was a maverick. He loved to share his wealth of knowledge. He had a lot of great ideas.

To quote Urban Dictionary:
A person who is creatively different from mainstream, conservative society and is therefore made to feel unloved and unwanted despite their great intellect and love for others. Someone too kind and sweet for this cruel world.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PhreeX

RIP Dave l33+

Last edited:
I just heard about this now... and I cant believe it.

I first started talking to him in the ODU days. We werent very close, but we definitely had some good conversations. Through his abrasive way of speaking, he always managed to spread valuable information to others. His guides were amongst the best I have read on using drugs. His detox guide in particular was one that helped me a great deal in recent years when I was struggling with heroin addiction. The contributions he made to this site on the online drug community as a whole were paramount. He will truly be missed by all those were fortunately enough to know him. And for those who didnt know him, my heart goes out to you as well, because this bright burning candle of information has been snuffed out too early.

RIP Dave. My condolences to hsi family.

sometimes i didnt really care much for dave, due to his constant exaggerations and his delusions of grandeur, but i certainly respected him for his knowledge and his genius. he was a great troll, capable of causing great lulz.

i'm actually proud to have learned from him (and i learned a lot about all kinds of things i could probably never actually put to use), and i want to try to carry on his legacy. i've been trying to incorporate his style more and more into my life when appropriate, but its incredibly difficult, as his style was unmatchable, but to honor him and imitate as best as possible is certainly a worthwhile endeavor. <3

I remember Phreex being amongst the posters in alt.drugs.hard when I first worked out what the hell outlook express was really for back in 1997 or thereabouts. Along with sabretooth, george@midnight and some others, they really did a helluva job promoting a drug induced lifestyle...

I pretty much bought into everything Phreex said he'd done and used the sheer 'who-gives-a-fuck-ness' of his posts as encouragement to readily experiment with substances I really had no right to be touching. Hell - he was a great writer and probably could've drawn readers into posts relating to hellish experiences, such was his mastery of brutally honest language and would-be users' minds.

I've been reading bluelight since way back in 2000. I remember this mans posts as being some of the best. RIP PhreeX, you will be missed.