• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Questions re short term Gabapentin & Baclofen use/withdrawal

Hi all...I’ve been taking Gabapentin and Baclofen for exactly 2 weeks today. I took one 48 hour break off the Baclofen and took 3 days off the Gabapentin during these 2 weeks. I’ve been tapering off Diazepam and started taking the Baclofen and Gabapentin to ease withdrawal symptoms. Now I’m concerned about withdrawals from them. Does anybody have any experience with short term (2 weeks or so) use of these 2 drugs and if there were any serious withdrawal symptoms? Any info and experiences would be much appreciated. I plan on stopping both in the next couple days when I get my Diazepam refilled. My doses have been about 2,000mg/day of Gabapentin and maybe 80mg/day of Baclofen, with the majority of the doses being taken in the evening and night. Thanks so much!
Do you have Multiple Sclerosis, I’m actually surprised they have you on both baclofen and diazepam. I was required to get to the daily maximum safe dose of baclofen before I could get diazepam. (About a week of having muscle spasms proved how ineffective it was).

Never experienced any withdrawal symptoms with either, except experiencing a little more anxiety after coming off the diazepam.

The gabapentin, never did anything for my neuropathy, so I almost never took it and I eventually switched between 2-3 other meds and just decided to live with it. Found THC is what helps me with it, tried pure CBD to no effect.

Do you have Multiple Sclerosis, I’m actually surprised they have you on both baclofen and diazepam. I was required to get to the daily maximum safe dose of baclofen before I could get diazepam. (About a week of having muscle spasms proved how ineffective it was).

Never experienced any withdrawal symptoms with either, except experiencing a little more anxiety after coming off the diazepam.

The gabapentin, never did anything for my neuropathy, so I almost never took it and I eventually switched between 2-3 other meds and just decided to live with it. Found THC is what helps me with it, tried pure CBD to no effect.
No, I don’t have MS. I am prescribed Diazepam and Buprenorphine. I was abusing Baclofen and Gabapentin. Have not touched either in many weeks at this point.

I’m glad you are finding things that work for you. If you were only on Diazepam for a short period of time it doesn’t surprise me that you got off without withdrawals. I am SOOO happy you didn’t have to experience that. Diazepam (Benzodiazapine) withdrawals are deadly and excruciating. I hope you continue to get relief from the THC. Onward and upward!!! Best of luck to you!!! ??

Last edited:
Than
No, I don’t have MS. I am prescribed Diazepam and Buprenorphine. I was abusing Baclofen and Gabapentin. Have not touched either in many weeks at this point.

I’m glad you are finding things that work for you. If you were only on Diazepam for a short period of time it doesn’t surprise me that you got off without withdrawals. I am SOOO happy you didn’t have to experience that. Diazepam (Benzodiazapine) withdrawals are deadly and excruciating. I hope you continue to get relief from the THC. Onward and upward!!! Best of luck to you!!! ??

Thank you, I only asked about the MS because that’s what I got going on and you listed almost all the meds I had gotten at one point.

Than

Thank you, I only asked about the MS because that’s what I got going on and you listed almost all the meds I had gotten at one point.
No worries!! Glad you asked. Interesting to know. Hope you get relief from your MS as much as possible. I know MANY people who have used THC and/or marijuana or marijuana products of various types to get very significant relief from various ailments. There’s a show Pharmacopeia on VICE TV with some great episodes on the topic. There are some people who have even been relieved of virtually all cancer symptoms AND the actual cancer itself. I’m not saying it’s a cure, but it’s the closest thing out there at the moment that I’m aware of that could be possibly be put in the “potential future cure” category.

Last edited:
Hi all...I’ve been taking Gabapentin and Baclofen for exactly 2 weeks today. I took one 48 hour break off the Baclofen and took 3 days off the Gabapentin during these 2 weeks. I’ve been tapering off Diazepam and started taking the Baclofen and Gabapentin to ease withdrawal symptoms. Now I’m concerned about withdrawals from them. Does anybody have any experience with short term (2 weeks or so) use of these 2 drugs and if there were any serious withdrawal symptoms? Any info and experiences would be much appreciated. I plan on stopping both in the next couple days when I get my Diazepam refilled. My doses have been about 2,000mg/day of Gabapentin and maybe 80mg/day of Baclofen, with the majority of the doses being taken in the evening and night. Thanks so much!

Hey! I know this is kinda an older question, & I didn't read through all the replies, but I've also been taking Gabapentin (we call them johnnies where I'm from) & Baclofen. A guy I was dating a few months ago had horrible withdrawals from taking both together. I know for myself, Gabapentin withdrawals can be very similar to being dopesick & I know a lot of other people who say the same.. however, I think the severity of withdrawals depends on dosage & amount of time you've been taking it. I've never personally experienced any Baclofen withdrawals, but he was having extremely vivid, disturbing dreams & he kept flipping out cuz he said he was having horrible hallucinations. The dreams were so bad he was afraid to fall asleep. I googled the Baclofen withdrawal symptoms & they're pretty rough honestly.. I googled it cuz he was flipping tf out at me, so unbelievably mean, but just being over the top with everything! I'd suggest trying to taper if you can, but I can't speak from experience with the Baclofen, just what I saw him go through..
If you've stopped taking them both, I'm interested to hear your experience..
Lastly, I've detoxed from benzos also, but was forced to cold turkey due to a serious OD that affected my liver & kidneys pretty bad. I was in the ICU for 4 days before sending me to an inpatient dual diagnosis facility for 2 weeks. (I digress) I'd say methadone (the clinic at 140 mg was the worst detox for me, with my benzo & barbiturate detox (I detoxed from both at the same time) was definitely second, not far behind methadone at alllll!! ?

Hey! I know this is kinda an older question, & I didn't read through all the replies, but I've also been taking Gabapentin (we call them johnnies where I'm from) & Baclofen. A guy I was dating a few months ago had horrible withdrawals from taking both together. I know for myself, Gabapentin withdrawals can be very similar to being dopesick & I know a lot of other people who say the same.. however, I think the severity of withdrawals depends on dosage & amount of time you've been taking it. I've never personally experienced any Baclofen withdrawals, but he was having extremely vivid, disturbing dreams & he kept flipping out cuz he said he was having horrible hallucinations. The dreams were so bad he was afraid to fall asleep. I googled the Baclofen withdrawal symptoms & they're pretty rough honestly.. I googled it cuz he was flipping tf out at me, so unbelievably mean, but just being over the top with everything! I'd suggest trying to taper if you can, but I can't speak from experience with the Baclofen, just what I saw him go through..
Lastly, I've detoxed from benzos also, but was forced to cold turkey due to a serious OD that affected my liver & kidneys pretty bad. I was in the ICU for 4 days before sending me to an inpatient dual diagnosis facility for 2 weeks. (I digress) I'd say methadone (the clinic at 140 mg was the worst detox for me, with my benzo & barbiturate detox (I detoxed from both at the same time) was definitely second, not far behind methadone at alllll!! ?
I quit taking Gabapentin and baclofen after about 2 weeks. Had very minor withdrawals, if any at all. Please read the thread for more info. Thanks and hope your friend is ok. Take care!

Question: what was the benzo detox like for you at the inpatient facility? I’ve been considering doing a medical detox for Valium, but most the reports I’ve read say that it doesn’t work very well and can lead to a lot of pain and suffering after being discharged. If greatly appreciate your insight, feedback and experience on that.

Thanks s bunch!!

I have a brain tumor that messes with my coordination and causes tremor so I was prescribed Baclofen I took it for year on/off intermittently never any kind of withdrawals ever, and I’m the epitome of a junkie. It’s so odd to hear this

So I’ve done the same, tapered off benzos with Diaz, baclofen and gabapentin.

I quit the taper when it got too hard and cold turkeyed from 80 mg backdown after 3 months of use (so not exactly short term).

The withdrawals were horrendous. Complete psychosis. I couldn’t form a coherent sentence and couldn’t hold a lucid thought for more than 10 seconds.

I exhibited really bizarre behavior (ie peeing on the floor), went in and out of consciousness and had a lot of visuals (everything was blurred and sparkling). The restlessness was unbearable. While conscious I was just alternating between pacing and spasming on the floor.

I believe seroquel (100 mg for sleep) significantly contributed to the withdrawal reaction. I ended up hospitalized and was more or less normal within 3 days, but I went right back onto benzos.

As I never felt effects from baclofen I didn’t think I was withdrawing from it. I thought it was benzo withdrawal (which it probably partially was) and post-seizure disorientation (not sure if I actually had a seizure or not).

Oddly enough, I don’t remember any panic or anxiety. It was the most altered state of mind I’ve ever experienced.

Gabapentin withdrawal is bad but extremely doable.

So the same thing happened to me while I was in Jail. I came off of benzos, baclofen, zolft and seroquil. I came to with a nurse in my face asking me what day it was and I had no clue. Then she told me I was hallucinating for two weeks and then all of the memories came back. I thought I was possessed by the devil and I was convinced that the gaurds had a concoction of drugs that they could give me ao I could leave my demons behind. I'm not a super religious personal but I started screaming Jesus and the louder I screamed the further the devil got away. I too was pissing on myself and I cam go on and on. The county jail just left me om suicide watch while I walked around naked and completely humiliated myself but of course while it was happening I was convinced I had no clothes. You would think they would have sent me to a mental hospital but instead they let me rot in the hole. I have never had psychosis before and I believe that it was from the baclofen because I googled baclofen withdrawal and the first symptom was psychosis! Not to mention that I have come off of almost every drug under the sun and never once did I become delusional. That was a year ago and I ran out of my baclofen 2 days ago but I have gabapentin and valuim do you think I will be okay? I wasn't medicated at the jail so I am hoping that my valium and gabapentin will help this time? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Hey @Sassafras. 1228 hope you’re doing ok. Sorry for the super late response. I got a new phone and quit receiving notifications from blue light. I’ve never gone through serious baclofen withdrawal. Just minor after 2 weeks use. How’d you manage? Did the Valium and Gabapentin help? How long were you out of baclofen? Man, hope it wasn’t too bad. If the withdrawals get too bad I just go to the ER. Fuck it. Better to rack up a little debt than die, go through 2 weeks of hallucinations, or be in so much pain you get PTSD. Anyway, I know it’s after the fact now. Sorry to leave ya hangin. Wishing you the best. Please shoot us an update. Take care!!

yep, pentin withdrawal/pregab can exactly feel dopesick and i swear thats because of the correlation between them helping SIGNIFICANTLY for opiate withdrawal which typical benzos don't really do as well in my experience
Id say a solution to the pentin withdrawal/ and any gabaergic and along with its own risks, would be to consume a low amount of alcohol per day (1-3 shots worth of hard liquor) and that would probably soothe it a bunch if you're not nauseous.
your experience sounds painful, but you've overcome them, withdrawal is just somthing that we have to accept if we're going to use certain things regularly, the body can adapt within 3-7 days of regular use and cause withdrawal.