• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Questions re short term Gabapentin & Baclofen use/withdrawal

In general I find that gabapentinoids take a while to develop dependence. But the dependence they develop is not fun at all.

Being GABA-drugs, would I be right in thinking withdrawal from gabapentinoids would be similar to that of benzodiazepines and barbiturates (and alcohol)?

There are some similarities, but gabapentinoids do not actually affect GABA levels at all, their mechanism is totally different although there is overlap in effects. However the withdrawal syndrome is also similar. In extreme cases withdrawal can cause seizures but it seems much more rare than with benzos.

There are some similarities, but gabapentinoids do not actually affect GABA levels at all, their mechanism is totally different although there is overlap in effects. However the withdrawal syndrome is also similar. In extreme cases withdrawal can cause seizures but it seems much more rare than with benzos.

Really? How do they relieve anxiety then? I guess I had assumed due to the names: GABApentin, preGABAlin..

Yeah they're structurally related (very close to) GABA, however they work by inhibiting α2δ subunit-containing VDCCs (voltage-dependent calcium channels), rather than as agonists to any of the GABA receptors. The end result is rather similar in effect but it's a different mechanism of action (and it's also substantially different in effect, more stimulating and pro-social, much less intoxicating). I think "gaba" is in the name simply because the molecular structure of them is so close to GABA itself. Anyway there are various ways to relieve anxiety. Marijuana does it sometimes (especially for some people), even though it has nothing to do with GABA. Opioids relieve anxiety very well even though they hit opioid receptors rather than GABA.

11494 11493 11495

Also phenibut is a gabapentinoid, which also acts as an agonist at the GABA-B receptors:

And GHB, which is very similar to GABA itself, hits both GABA-B and GHB receptors (GHB receptors, when activated, release dopamine downstream), but is not a gabapentinoid at all (nor is GABA). Incidentally, GHB is a neurotransmitter, it is produces in small amounts by our bodies which is why we have receptors for it, and why it's so non-toxic and well-tolerated:

Well I’m definitely feeling like shit today. The worst symptom is a general shakiness. No sweats. Anxiety isn’t too bad. It’s mostly physical. My brain feels scrambled, which I hate. I’m sure some of it is the Diazepam withdrawals that I was already experiencing are now more noticeable since I’m not taking the baclofen or Gabapentin anymore. Plus I fucked up my Diazepam taper by taking more than my normal daily dose of 9mg a few times this week. I’m sure I’m gonna be in trouble from that for the next few weeks. I really don’t want to, but I think I need to increase my Diazepam dose for a month or so until I even out. I’ve been dealing with pretty debilitating withdrawals from that for close to 2 months now. I know part of the reason it hasn’t gotten better is because I took extra a few times. I’m thinking about going to see my Dr with my mom in tow and telling them both that this Diazepam dose just isn’t working and that I want my mom to hang onto them so I can’t take extra. Somethings gotta give. I can’t live in a constant state of debilitating withdrawals all the time. Don’t know what to do. I’ve also considered doing an inpatient detox but I’ve read mostly horror stories about that. I just want off this horrible drug.

Question; it’s been 31 hours since I last took Gabapentin. I’m starting to really feel bad and I think it’s Gabapentin withdrawal. Do I dare take 1 300mg tablet to try to ease the pain slightly, and maybe take 300mg a day for a few days? Or should I just tough it out? Again, I only took it for 12 days consecutively. Right now I’m heavily leaning on just toughing it out. I don’t want to drag it out, but if a few days at 300mg will make the transition smoother I’m cautiously open to the idea.

I would just tough it out since it hasn't been long, you'll just drag it out. Also it's entirely possible that this is all diazepam withdrawal coming back.

Thanks! Yeah, that’s the plan. I think I just needed to hear that. I just took my last 5mg of Diazepam until Monday when I get my refill. Definitely made me feel somewhat better. I’m sure this weekend is going to suck bad, but I’ve got some Hydroxyzine and Buprenorphine to help get through. Plus the half life of Diazepam is so damn long I shouldn’t be in too bad of shape until Sunday night. I’m going to try to get my refill one day early, on Sunday too. I’ll just tell them I’m going out of town. I’ve never asked the pharmacy for early refills before, I have a good rapport with them, and it’s only 1 day. Worst case scenario I have to wait until Monday.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

It’s about 11:00 PM, so about 37 hours since I last took Gabapentin. At 4:30 this afternoon I felt really rough. Spent the rest of the evening eating, relaxing, took some Hydroxyzine and Buprenorphine, and am very happy to report I’m ferling much better than earlier. Soooooo glad I didn’t take a dose of Gabapentin. Withdrawals usually go like this for me. I feel the worst when I get up in the morning and they slowly improve throughout the day until about this time of night when I feel...ok. Anyway, I think I’ll probably have a similar day tomorrow and Sunday, but I’ll certainly get through. Been through much worse.

I personally won’t be taking Gabapentin again. I will say that the Baclofen significantly reduced the anxiety and some of the other symptoms related to Diazepam withdrawal. I would consider taking that for a short period of time if I really needed to, but I don’t have anymore of it or any way to access it really. Gabapentin is supposed to potentate opiates, but other than that I really don’t enjoy the effects of it on its own too much. It’s never really given me much anxiety relief, if at all, even in daily doses as high as 5 grams or more.

WARNING: be extremely careful mixing baclofen and Gabapentin. It can be dangerous if too much is taken. Same with mixing either of the above with Benzos, opiates or any other CNS depressants or any combination of any of these substances. Coma and death could be a result.

I know most people here on Bluelight are aware of this, but I figured I should do my part in harm reduction by including that warning.

Thanks to all. I’ll update over the next couple days.

Feel much better today. I definitely had some Gabapentin withdrawals yesterday, but they’re gone today. I got really lucky. Take care and thanks to everyone who chimed in. I was pretty scared and you guys helped me get through it. ✌?

Hey everybody, just thought I’d update this thread one last time, unless anyone has any questions or would like to discuss any of this further I’m happy to do so.

So as I said, on Saturday 5/11 most of the Gabapentin withdrawals were gone. I still had some weak minor symptoms I think for another day though. This morning I got my Diazepam refilled. Seeing my Dr this afternoon about putting Diazepam taper on hold for a while. I just need to get back to living a normal life as I’ve been pretty much incapacitated by the withdrawals for the better part of a year. I’m still going to taper off of it eventually but it’s gonna be a while until I do it. I figure I’ve tolerated about as much pain and suffering as I can for a long time and I need to get back to rebuilding my life. I’ll finish the rest of the taper very slowly down the road.

Best wishes to all and thanks again for helping me get through the Gabapentin issue without loosing my mind. ???❤

Yeah benzos withdrawals sucks and hurts. The dependence and tolerance is awful. Benzos are awesome the first month. only.

I think what hurts you the most or feel is still the benzo.. Gabapentin withdrawl is no fun but nothing compares to benzos cold turkey.

Also, benzos can fuck up your cognitives skills temporary or forever.. memory , coordination.. People die from or because of it, end up doing time...

Maybe you still need your Diazepam and it's ok. Please make sure to never run out of it. Get better. Some will and need to be on benzos everyday for the rest of their lifes .They are fine because they never miss a dose. Even when they stop working, take them. Go see your Dr..

.Gabapentin withdrawl isn't fun but it's ok.. Pregabalin withdrawl isn't cool either, this time I'm not going cold turkey.. But it's nothing compared to benzos. They are good but insiduous?

Im about to be withdrawaling from gabapentin with nothing to help.Ive been abusing it off in on for the last 3 years.I am addicted to it its the one drug I cant go without because when I quit taking I have extreme anxiety, insomnia and confusion from it.What can I do to ease the withdrawal without any other good pharms to help.Can kratom help or maybe phenibut.I am currently training as an electrician and I dont want the confusion and anxiety to throw me off

Im about to be withdrawaling from gabapentin with nothing to help.Ive been abusing it off in on for the last 3 years.I am addicted to it its the one drug I cant go without because when I quit taking I have extreme anxiety, insomnia and confusion from it.What can I do to ease the withdrawal without any other good pharms to help.Can kratom help or maybe phenibut.I am currently training as an electrician and I dont want the confusion and anxiety to throw me off
Hey there, sorry about what you’re going through.

My best recommendation is taper the Gabapentin. I’d try to decrease 300mg every 4th day. I did that with Phenibut and I had zero withdrawals. Gabapentin cold turkey can be dangerous and extremely painful from what I’ve read. I don’t have much else Gabapentin experience to share, but I think a taper like the one I suggested would do you well. If it gets too painful just spread out the decreases more. Don’t cold turkey my friend. I’ve heard it can cause seizures and death.

I’ll be thinking about you. Much love. You can do this!!! I’ll check back on the post to see if you’ve updated. 300mg decrease in the 3rd or 4th day. Like I said, I did that with ohenibut and had zero withdrawals. Best of luck!!!

Also, I went back up on the Diazepam. Going to taper over a couple years. Fuck it. Not worth the pain and suffering of doing it faster for me.

Thanks I appreciate the advice.I stupidly ran out of my prescription thinking I had refills at a different pharmacy, well i was wrong.Im off work today and feeling like shit so I decided to give the Budweiser Method a go.I think it will atleast offer temporary relief while I wait on doc.

Gabapentin helps me to stay away from alcohol.Alcoholism has been an issue.I just enjoy things that effect the gaba receptors and put my mind at ease...

Yeah me too, unfortunately. I really like gabapentin. I used it to help quit phenibut. I like phenibut even more, not only is it a gabapentinoid but it's also a GABA-B agonist. I've been taking gabapentin every few days as it helps put me in the perfect mindset for playing music, so I use it for band practices or shows a lot of the time. Plus I just like it a lot.

Alcohol should help although it doesn't share a mechanism of action. Actually gabapentin doesn't affect gaba receptors at all, it is a ligand that blocks VDCCs (voltage-dependent calcium channels). It's called gabapentin because it's structurally related to GABA, but it works differently. it also has similar effects and similar withdrawal so it's largely immaterial but thought I'd mention it anyway. Alcohol will offer some relief but it won't block the withdrawal.

Yeah me too, unfortunately. I really like gabapentin. I used it to help quit phenibut. I like phenibut even more, not only is it a gabapentinoid but it's also a GABA-B agonist. I've been taking gabapentin every few days as it helps put me in the perfect mindset for playing music, so I use it for band practices or shows a lot of the time. Plus I just like it a lot.

Alcohol should help although it doesn't share a mechanism of action. Actually gabapentin doesn't affect gaba receptors at all, it is a ligand that blocks VDCC (voltage-dependent calcium channels). It's called gabapentin because it's structurally related to GABA, but it works differently. it also has similar effects and similar withdrawal so it's largely immaterial but thought I'd mention it anyway. Alcohol will offer some relief but it won't block the withdrawal.
Yea it just blocks the anxiety a little.It also takes alot more beer to get drunk without gabapentin and i have no taste for cigarettes which is highly unusual while drinking....

So I’ve done the same, tapered off benzos with Diaz, baclofen and gabapentin.

I quit the taper when it got too hard and cold turkeyed from 80 mg backdown after 3 months of use (so not exactly short term).

The withdrawals were horrendous. Complete psychosis. I couldn’t form a coherent sentence and couldn’t hold a lucid thought for more than 10 seconds.

I exhibited really bizarre behavior (ie peeing on the floor), went in and out of consciousness and had a lot of visuals (everything was blurred and sparkling). The restlessness was unbearable. While conscious I was just alternating between pacing and spasming on the floor.

I believe seroquel (100 mg for sleep) significantly contributed to the withdrawal reaction. I ended up hospitalized and was more or less normal within 3 days, but I went right back onto benzos.

As I never felt effects from baclofen I didn’t think I was withdrawing from it. I thought it was benzo withdrawal (which it probably partially was) and post-seizure disorientation (not sure if I actually had a seizure or not).

Oddly enough, I don’t remember any panic or anxiety. It was the most altered state of mind I’ve ever experienced.

Gabapentin withdrawal is bad but extremely doable.