• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Products containing DXM and which ones to avoid...

Drownnn

Greenlighter
Robitussin doesn't seem as widely available in Australia as it is in America, but I did come across a store in my (very small) town that does sell it, the only problem is that I have been there a lot lately and bought a lot of Robitussin DX syrup.

The pharmacist there gave me a weird look once and my friend has been in to buy it and been asked "How long have you been using this for?" he replied with "A couple of days", then she said "well if you aren't feeling any better soon, then Robitussin won't work for you."

So, I'm pretty sure they know what's up, so I'm looking for other common Australian sources for DXM only products, or something that contains other ingredients that wouldn't be harmful if the DXM was to be taken in recreational doses. At least until the 'heat' cools off from the pharmacy, so I can go back there, without being too suspicious.

I have researched a couple of common Australian Cough and Cold brands, such as Dimetapp, Benadryl, etc. These are a few I've been looking at, would anyone give me advice as to whether they would be good to consume.

This can also serve as a guide as to what DXM products are available in Australia.

Benadryl Dry Forte
200mL
2064995.gif

Each 5mL of syrup contains:
• Dextromethorphan hydrobromide 15mg

This seems like one of the best options, considering it has the same ingredients as Robitussin DX, if anyone has used this, please tell me.

Bisolvon Dry
200mL
Bisolvon_Dry_Range.jpg

Each 5mL contains dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10mg
Also contains methyl hydroxybenzoate and saccharin sodium

Not as much DXM as Robitussin DX or the Benadryl mentioned above and also not sure about the other ingredients.

Dimetapp DM Cold And Cough Elixir
200mL
56417.jpg

Each 5ml contains: Brompheniramine Maleate 2mg, Phenylephrine Hydrochloride 5mg, Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 10mg

Same amount of DXM as Bisolvon Dry, yet again, unsure of the other ingredients.

AND JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT, THE MOST AMAZING SOURCE OF DXM EVER!

Robitussin DX Dry Cough Forte
200mL
436003.jpg

Each 10mL of oral liquid contains:

Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 30mg

Pure DXM goodness
I find the taste to be not that bad at all, easy to scoll. Perfect.

GET THIS IF YOU CAN!

I have also been wondering if there are any DXM cough drops or cough gels available in Australia that are suitable for recreation use. Something similar to the Robitussin Cough Gels available in America:

Robitussin_CoughGels_-resized200.jpg

Coricidin Cough and Cold(triple c's) are NOT good to take, they are very dangerous, if you had researched your stuff on erowid.org like a good little girl you would know NOT to.​

Last edited:
Was about to say in before the unnapprove! But the thread wasn't what I thought it would be. This will serve as a good harm reduction thread for people thinking any cough syrup containg DXM is safe.

Just today I was talking to a guy in a rap group and he was telling me how all the latest rap songs in the last few years use "skrewing" alot for chorus's. Which is basically just slowing down the pitch of the voice, but in a smooth way. And it came from people drinking "Sizzup" which is getting Robitussin mixing it with ice cubes, vodka and something else and drinking it to get "fucked up" Then they'd be talking all slow and retarded (like DXM makes you do) and then someone decided to slow down a rap song and listen to it on this "sizzup" crap and it just stuck in rap voice audio production.

Warning: Mixing DXM and Alcohol is a stupid idea. It could very well put you in E.R. or make you puke all night long and get very, very dehydrated. This rule applies to Ketamine too.

Anyway...

Theres no cough gels or caps or pills containing DXM in Australia.

Robitussin DX is the only good one to use. All the rest you provided are not safe. Benadryl contains a laxative chemical and a chemical that induces vomitting if taken in high doses to stop you fully absorbing the drug. Robitussin DM everyone knows (plus all other Robutssins not DX) are dangerous and should never be used.

Dimetapp contains Brompheniramine Maleate and Phenylephrine. I've tried Phenylephedrine in doses upto 200-400mg. It's a nothing chemical, doesnt even do what it is supposed to and sold under weight loss pills as 100mg, BUT along with DXM I don't think its a good idea at all!! Stay away, And the anti histamine (brompheniramine). Thats how people die from Triple C (Coricidin Cold & Cough high blood pressure) pills in america!

Bisolvon is too little dose and contains something that would upset your stomach if you drink the whole bottle, induce vommitting, you'll be on the toilet tripping etc...

Just stick with Robo DX. If one chemist doesn't have it, try them all. Say it's the only one that ever works when you get this cough and you are sensative to any anti histamines (say they cause visual distubances and make you drowsy)

Does anyone know if it is just a S2 drug btw?
I'm assuming S1 is panadol, nurofen (normal), phenylephrine etc.. as they can be bought in any shopping mall or local corner store. But DXM cannot be found in these places.

Edited: out of context wording got in there somehow

Last edited:
Only info I could find: Pretty old and was just a proposal. Sounds weird it being S4?? Isn't that benzos??? I know Pseudo is S3

SCHEDULE
PART A - PROPOSALS NOTIFIED IN THE COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA GAZETTE OF 8 OCTOBER 1997.
1. PROPOSED CHANGES/ADDITIONS TO THE STANDARD FOR THE UNIFORM SCHEDULING OF DRUGS AND POISONS.

(a) DEXTROMETHORPHAN - Schedule 4 to Schedule 3 for uncompounded liquid formulations containing 0.3 per cent or less of dextromethorphan. The Committee will also review the scheduling of compounded liquid formulations.

Outcome

Schedule 3 - New entry

DEXTROMETHORPHAN as the only therapeutically active substance in undivided preparations containing 0.3 per cent or less of dextromethorphan with a recommended dose of not more than 30 mg of dextromethorphan and in packs containing not more than 600 mg of dextromethorphan.

Schedule 4 - Amendment

DEXTROMETHORPHAN - amend entry to read:

DEXTROMETHORPHAN except when included in Schedule 2 or 3.

TGA gazette 2007 - Post-November 1997 meeting

Shit this is really old! Lol

(c) FLUNITRAZEPAM - Schedule review
Outcome

Schedule 8 - New entry
FLUNITRAZEPAM.

Schedule 4 - Amendment
FLUNITRAZEPAM - delete entry

The Committee will be reviewing the scheduling of the benzodiazepine class at a future meeting.

Back when roofies were actually prescribed, just as legally as valium or clonazepam.

The thing is, only one place keeps this in stock regularly, like I mentioned above. I get so nervous going in there to buy so much so often, my friend who I always use DXM with also has been in there multiple times. Is the chemist likely to contact the police or approach me about it?
Another idea I had was to travel to a close town, about 20 minutes away, to see if they have it in a chemist there.

Also, is there any other decent OTC drugs that can compare, because I really like the feeling during a DXM trip.

More up to date here: Seems like it is S2. As labels and computer records are never needed. A Pharmacist doesn't have to either do or supervise this dispernsory.

Summary: SCHEDULE 2 AMENDMENTS DEXTROMETHORPHAN amend entry to read: DEXTROMETHORPHAN when supplied in a pack containing 600 mg or less of dextromethorphan and with a recommended daily dose of 120 mg or less of dextromethorphan.

TGA 2003 Ammendments

I don't understand these "schedules" you;re talking about, are they the different levels of legality?

It's not illegal to ingest any amount of DXM. You can have whatever you want. Chemists just have the same right as they do handing out fit packs etc.. If they don't want to they don't have to. Don't be nervous what you're doing is legal. Its the same as buying Codeine 8mg per pill, or a small pack of Nurofen Plus or something, or Dramamine, or basically anything over the counter not on shelves..

So, I could buy say, 10 bottles of Robo DX and the chemist has no right to say anything?

Drownnn said:
So, I could buy say, 10 bottles of Robo DX and the chemist has no right to say anything?

They have a duty of care to as a client (or patient). If they think you are going to abuse something or take it anyway that will be dangerous or no medical benefit to you then they will not sell it to you.

I have had experience with Benadryl Dry Forte.
The taste of it is so bad, worse than your usual cough syrup

psytaco said:
They have a duty of care to as a client (or patient). If they think you are going to abuse something or take it anyway that will be dangerous or no medical benefit to you then they will not sell it to you.

Do you think if I got a friend to buy Four bottles at once, that they would say anything?

I've bought 2 200mL bottles before with out any troubles or funny looks or anything before... 4 might be pushing it though.

How often are you taking it?? I found 200mL (600mg of DXM) to be a pretty strong dose... I live with 3 other guys, so if I ever get asked any questions I just say everyone in my house is sick... maybe just say you have a large family or something.

Well, i've taken 300mg for my first dose, to see if I enjoyed the feeling, then i've taken 600mg on three separate occasions with a friend, we were both pretty well tripping. Then last week I took 1 & 1/2 bottles (900mg of DXM) with my friend and I was well and truly tripping for a long time. I was hoping to get 4 bottles so me and a friend could have 2 each.

We upped our dose because the trips began to feel less and less. Do you think the fact that we took 600mg of DXM three nights in a row contributed to us getting a weaker trip? If so I might just take one bottle next time, seeing as it has been just over a week since we tried 900mg.

Yeah you would have definitely built up a tolerance... read up on the plateaus if you haven't already

600mg was a lower 3rd plateau dose for me... i was nodding off into dream land at times and couldn't move around much

Yeah, I well and truly did my research on DXM, as i'm very nervous about drugs that I haven't tried, which are most seeing as I have only had alcohol, weed and DXM. Do you think a week and a half waiting is long enough for 600mg to do something decent for me?

I would wait longer, but DXM is the most accessible drug for me right now.

[EDIT: Removed: please be careful, BL is not here to help you get drugs. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tried the Strepsils Dry Cough? I had a decent look at the packaging and couldn't see any obvious problems (no sorbitol etc) - for me 600mg isn't enough but 1200mg is overkill, two bottles of the Stepsils is 750mg. Just thinking about the DX flavor makes me gag.

Drownnn: Schedules are categorioes of controlled drugs. They are federal. But states normally have different ones. For pharmacies though, and federal cases , they use the federal system. For example in Queensland, Schedule one is Meth, Heroin, Cocaine, while Schedule Two is MDA, MDMA, LSD, Marijuana, the less harmful ones... So I is the classified as most dangerous and addictive..

BUT.. Federal ones go like this. (by memory, this could be a bit wrong)

S1: (Uncontrolled, anyone with an ABN can sell and you can give them to people without licenses without profit) Panado;, Iboprofen, Phenylephrine. etc... I dont know Vitamins and herbals don't fit in this schedule.. I think they remain uncontrolled unless listed.

S2: Codeine in certain conditions, like 8 to 12.5 max mg per pill along with a drug like iboprofen or paracetamol. Others in this list also ofcourse, like Diphenhydramine, DXM, loperamide etc.

S3: (Requires license most of the time, and a label printed by a pharmaciost or under the supervision of a pharmacist) - Codeine in large quantities if enforced, like say 10-15mg tabs in 100 pill quantities. Pseudoephedrine. DiHydrocodeine cough syrups. (The Chemiost can prescribe these, but for pseudo and dihydro they can monitor if linked up to police computers like in QLD)

S4: Benzos like Valium etc...... maybe some steroids. alot of other prescriptions..

Dont know the other schedules but I'm sure TGA.gov.au will help you. :)

S8: Hard Opiates like Morphine, Oxycontin, Maybe A.D.D meds containg (dex)amphetamine or amphetamine like drugs. Meth may still exist in this category, it did years ago but it is not prescribed at all and normally acts as a S9 drug (most illegal and non-medicinal) because its in street form.

S9: Coke, Heroin, Weed, LSD, 2C-B, MDMA/MDA, Amphetamines, GHB (and analogues... you get the idea

There is also Schedule 1, 2 and 3 drug precursors/dangerous chemicals, not part of this scheduling list.

But if you are trialed in a normal court. Not arrested by AFP and taken to supreme or federal court etc. And normally if you are anyway, it still goes by state laws unless they want to. For example possessing drugs are decriminalized in NSW and VIC. But in QLD you must satill goto court to get drug diversion for samall amounts.

Its pretty hard to all explain..

But back on to topic of using DXM safely......

rogan said:
Anyone tried the Strepsils Dry Cough? I had a decent look at the packaging and couldn't see any obvious problems (no sorbitol etc) - for me 600mg isn't enough but 1200mg is overkill, two bottles of the Stepsils is 750mg. Just thinking about the DX flavor makes me gag.

From what I can gather, Strepsils Dry Cough only contains guiphanesin.

You dont want to ingest that in large quantities, trust me.