• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Poppys indoor

Poppy plants have tap roots, so no way you can grow them in a plant pot.

No way huh? 🤔

You can absolutely grow them in pots because that is precisely what I did. What happens is that they don't grow quite as tall if they were grown outside. Instead they become more bush like.

Also wouldn't recommend fluorescent bulbs. They simply don't put out much light compared to an LED. Plus LED's are inexpensive and something like 60-80% more efficient.

question for everyone parrots poppies being some impossible force to transplant.

how many times have you tried to transplant young poppies?

and do you know how to transplant plants and their root systems in a safe manner?

That is a partial myth. I have transplanted poppies a number of times with great success. If one is very careful it can be done.

Lightly water beforehand so the root system sticks together and transfer as much adjoining soil with it as possible. Should only be done with younger plants.

No way huh? 🤔

You can absolutely grow them in pots because that is precisely what I did. What happens is that they don't grow quite as tall if they were grown outside. Instead they become more bush like.

Also wouldn't recommend fluorescent bulbs. They simply don't put out much light compared to an LED. Plus LED's are inexpensive and something like 60-80% more efficient.

that's probably one of the main reasons you did so well - running them under the LEDs - they're probably perfect for them

question for everyone parrots poppies being some impossible force to transplant.

how many times have you tried to transplant young poppies?

and do you know how to transplant plants and their root systems in a safe manner?
I do know how to transplant seedlings. I wanted to save the ones that were growing too crowded that I had to thin out. I've tried it a number of times and the ones that didn't simply die on me did not fully recover their vigour.

HPS all day…and yes they can be transplanted if you take enough care…I guess I’m old school with the HPS, LED we’re in their infancy around the time I stopped growing and it was a well known fact that a lot of the claims the LED companies made were bogus, maybe they have advanced their technology to meet what they claimed years ago, I have no clue I don’t keep up with that stuff anymore

Last edited:
Hi
No way huh? 🤔

yes around here you have the most experience growing poppies indoors and there’s no doubt you can use led’s (as well others too)but you’ve grown only trying one light source and never tried using other light sources to be able to form your own comparison test on which is better ,others have..If I was seriously doing research this is what I would Google to get you started off in the right direction

What’s the best artificial light source to grow poppies indoors
Best growing medium for growing poppies indoors
Nutrient requirements for growing poppies indoors / and frequency ( organic or chemical ?)
Lighting wattage requirements per square ft for lighting type being used
Ideal soil ph for growing poppies
Indoor poppy growing tips
Light cycle ( on/off) for growing poppies indoors,, (hookup your lights and fans to a timer)

When you Google one off the list and they all say the same thing I’ll take their word for it , they did all the side by side comparisons (leg work) on what produces the best results (yields)

The good thing about both led and flourrecent is they both give off minimal heat and can be mounted both horizontally above the plants and you can also mount them vertically ( like columns) throughout your garden ( less pot rotating/ spinning necessary)

Here’s one of about a dozen articles on the first page that recommends flourescent tubes as the best lighting source for growing poppies indoors,(it’s the spectrum they like) I tend to try to listen to experts in the field that worked out everything for you and eliminate any guess work …

Hi

yes around here you have the most experience growing poppies indoors and there’s no doubt you can use led’s (as well others too)but you’ve grown only trying one light source and never tried using other light sources to be able to form your own comparison test on which is better ,others have..If I was seriously doing research this is what I would Google to get you started off in the right direction

What’s the best artificial light source to grow poppies indoors
Best growing medium for growing poppies indoors
Nutrient requirements for growing poppies indoors / and frequency ( organic or chemical ?)
Lighting wattage requirements per square ft for lighting type being used
Ideal soil ph for growing poppies
Indoor poppy growing tips
Light cycle ( on/off) for growing poppies indoors,, (hookup your lights and fans to a timer)

When you Google one off the list and they all say the same thing I’ll take their word for it , they did all the side by side comparisons (leg work) on what produces the best results (yields)

The good thing about both led and flourrecent is they both give off minimal heat and can be mounted both horizontally above the plants and you can also mount them vertically ( like columns) throughout your garden ( less pot rotating/ spinning necessary)

Here’s one of about a dozen articles on the first page that recommends flourescent tubes as the best lighting source for growing poppies indoors,(it’s the spectrum they like) I tend to try to listen to experts in the field that worked out everything for you and eliminate any guess work …

Like I mentioned before, I read absolutely everything I could find on the internet about growing poppies before starting. And I am by nature the researcher type (verging on the obsessive) so I have read, and re-read everything I could find.

But it doesn't take any reading to realize that LED'S are the only real avenue for growing poppies inside a small 4x4 grow tent. Fluorescent lights are too bulky and not bright enough to fit inside a little grow tent, and HPS lights would turn the tent into an oven. It would be flat out foolish to use anything other than LED'S when growing poppies inside a little grow tent.

Why would a tap root keep you from growing in a pot? That's simply just not true.

Also, transplanting would be easy, just like cannabis. You can transplant almost any plant, just like you can clone almost every plant.

Hey @Keif' Richards .......I hear ya about this thread not being BDD material but growing poppies threads are all over the forum. There are several in DC and a few in other areas. We have decided that growing poppies is no different than growing weed and there are a boatload of growing weed threads in Cannabis Discussion.

I didn't see anyone asking where to get the seeds to grow them nor anyone sharing links for pods or sourcing. Just some tips on if they are viable to grow indoors. I'm gonna re-open this and move it to Drug Culture as it will be appropriate there. Here in BDD it has no real HR value.

That's totally fine. If everyone else is fine with it, I've got no problem with it, thanks for moving.

how do u guys feel abt somnis in the front yard with a tasteful garden next to it?

Like I mentioned before, I read absolutely everything I could find on the internet about growing poppies before starting. And I am by nature the researcher type (verging on the obsessive) so I have read, and re-read everything I could find.

But it doesn't take any reading to realize that LED'S are the only real avenue for growing poppies inside a small 4x4 grow tent. Fluorescent lights are too bulky and not bright enough to fit inside a little grow tent, and HPS lights would turn the tent into an oven. It would be flat out foolish to use anything other than LED'S when growing poppies inside a little grow tent.
Gotcha , I didn’t realize you were growing in such a small area…

apparently you guys don’t know about closed reflectors and fans :/
Besides having reflectors on your lights you can easily make your entire grow space into a reflector by painting your grow area white which is the cheaper way or buying Mylar and putting it everywhere in your growing space ,
Your exhaust fan should be mounted high up in your room , my bathroom and the closet I grew in we’re right next too one another so I merged my grow room exhaust fan into the bathrooms exhausts flexible 4” duct , I had a single oscillating fan moving the air around the plants…😬

Besides having reflectors on your lights you can easily make your entire grow space into a reflector by painting your grow area white which is the cheaper way or buying Mylar and putting it everywhere in your growing space ,
Your exhaust fan should be mounted high up in your room , my bathroom and the closet I grew in we’re right next too one another so I merged my grow room exhaust fan into the bathrooms exhausts flexible 4” duct , I had a single oscillating fan moving the air around the plants…😬
I once had 3 1k watt HPS bulbs in XXXL magnum hoods burning in a 5x10 tent and temps stayed around 80 with no aC, if your having heat problems with a HPS your doing something wrong or using way to much light for a given area

I once had 3 1k watt HPS bulbs in XXXL magnum hoods burning in a 5x10 tent and temps stayed around 80 with no aC, if your having heat problems with a HPS your doing something wrong or using way to much light for a given area
Wow that’s a lot of light for such a small area,I never used 1000watt bulbs because it was too much light for the area I was using ( a 4’x8’ area) I used a 400 watt HPS and a 400watt Metal halide and I had a squirrel cage fan mounted up high in the room ,I also had a box fan at the door way pulling fresh air in the room and an oscillating fan moving the air around the room ,I never wasted the AC by trying to cool the room down cause it wasn’t needed the fans did what they were supposed to do..

What were you growing using three 1000watt bulbs ? What did they cost you a month to run ?

Wow that’s a lot of light for such a small area,I never used 1000watt bulbs because it was too much light for the area I was using ( a 4’x8’ area) I used a 400 watt HPS and a 400watt Metal halide and I had a squirrel cage fan mounted up high in the room ,I also had a box fan at the door way pulling fresh air in the room and an oscillating fan moving the air around the room ,I never wasted the AC by trying to cool the room down cause it wasn’t needed the fans did what they were supposed to do..

What were you growing using three 1000watt bulbs ? What did they cost you a month to run ?
I was growing a full SOG style tent, trellis lots of topping stressing, I forget the technique name but when you take a long shoot and bend it under the trellis so the side branched grow into tops, I think at that time I was experimenting with lumens per square foot, ultimately ended up using that tent as a mother/clone house with 2 600W MH, but the heat was never really a problem even in the Las Vegas summers

guys the sun is a googleplex watts why the fuck are you wasting money on fancy lightbulbs when you could be buying some meth.