Poppys indoor

No_more_evry_monday

Bluelighter
Hey guys, sorry if this was already asked or if i chose wrong place to post...

Qustion is can you grow poppys indoors?
If i can give them efficient light and temp. Can i grow them anytime i want?
If posible what Kind of lights?
Any other info from someone with exp. Is apriciated greatly :) šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜
Ps. Im not looking for perfection , just wanna have some fun with growing and enjoying my own product(im off the pills and h so this would ne perfect reward once a year

Totally not worth it. Look at whatā€™s required to grow a poppy.

How much space do you have?

Hey guys, sorry if this was already asked or if i chose wrong place to post...

Qustion is can you grow poppys indoors?
If i can give them efficient light and temp. Can i grow them anytime i want?
If posible what Kind of lights?
Any other info from someone with exp. Is apriciated greatly :) šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜
Ps. Im not looking for perfection , just wanna have some fun with growing and enjoying my own product(im off the pills and h so this would ne perfect reward once a year
Look up ā€œpoppy botanyā€ and find out what spectrum of light is needed, when growing weed two different lights are required,in the growing state(vegative stage18 hrs of light and 6 hrs darkness) weed thrives with a ā€œmetal halideā€ but when you decrease hrs (12 hrs of light and 12 hrs darkness) to promote bud growth you add a ā€œhi pressure sodiumā€ā€¦.

Do some digging online and youā€™ll find out what you need to know,try googling Poppy Botany and Growing poppies indoors and you should find the answer plus a recipe on the doā€™s and donā€™ts of growing,soil,nutrients,life cycleā€¦

Youā€™d have to figure out you lighting requirements are by the area of your grow space ,just for a reference in the 80ā€™s when I had a two light setup 2x400 watt covering a 4ā€™x8ā€™ area (32 sq ft)my monthly electrical bill was around $80-100 a month Iā€™d say the prices are about double in 2022,itā€™s just something to keep in mind ,, Growing indoors isnā€™t cheap and it sucks learning things the hard way so do your researchā€¦

Last edited:
Thank you guys for tips , sadly this shit with lights Sounds expensive whitch is not for me atm:/ i gues it cant hurt (me atleast) to give it a shot Like a hillbilly and learn with trial and error... But il' be prepared for NeXT season outdoors i gues.. might be a dumb qustion but poppy season is over now right? I ask coz it seems fun to hunt them in nature and god forbit in someones yard :s

Thank you guys for tips , sadly this shit with lights Sounds expensive whitch is not for me atm:/ i gues it cant hurt (me atleast) to give it a shot Like a hillbilly and learn with trial and error... But il' be prepared for NeXT season outdoors i gues.. might be a dumb qustion but poppy season is over now right? I ask coz it seems fun to hunt them in nature and god forbit in someones yard :s
Guess it depends on where you live. Are you in a warm climate pretty much year round?

I hear that once you get a base of them set and growing they do really well and spread out and keep on coming up year after year.

NR makes a very good point. Where do you live? How much space do you have? Can you do it somewhere that it will go unnoticed by people? Poppy field are gorgeous. They will attract attention.

I hear that once you get a base of them set and growing they do really well and spread out and keep on coming up year after year.
It is really quite easy because you harvest the opium and some but not all of the pods (if you want, or none) the pods go back to seed and keep the cycle going. Itā€™s a fairly straightforward but uncultivated and wild process if done right.

Just for future reference if you ever get a source for free electric ( 1 thick extension cord) that you donā€™t have to pay for you can search the electrical contractors in your area for their trash,old lights are fine even if you gotta buy new bulbs youā€™ll still get the housing and the ballast which is the major cost of lighting ,they come across them all the time when working in factories,warehouses,street lighting ā€¦ your shopping for used stuff which will be much cheaper than buying grow lights from a grow shop,hydroponics place..your looking buy used lighting from them ,which they normally just trash it..

With weed it was definitely worth it to grow your own regarding the cost ,with poppies I have no idea ā€¦

Just for future reference if you ever get a source for free electric ( 1 thick extension cord) that you donā€™t have to pay for you can search the electrical contractors in your area for their trash,old lights are fine even if you gotta buy new bulbs youā€™ll still get the housing and the ballast which is the major cost of lighting ,they come across them all the time when working in factories,warehouses,street lighting ā€¦ your shopping for used stuff which will be much cheaper than buying grow lights from a grow shop,hydroponics place..your looking buy used lighting from them ,which they normally just trash it..

With weed it was definitely worth it to grow your own regarding the cost ,with poppies I have no idea ā€¦
Kinda amazing, someones trash is someones tresure... Tbh my understanding in electricity and technology is on very low level but i defenetly want to learn and i Will , thank you for info/help.. you guys rule šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜ā™„ļø

I have read some weeks ago here in BL that @negrogesic did grow them indoor with great results, apparently. Don't know if he used lamps or not. Hopefully he will chime in to tell you.

All I can say is I have grown them on a certain outdoor place for some years and used to get good poppies, but this year I tried to do it in a balcony and failed miserably. I live in a sunny country but my balcony only gets direct sunlight from 9 am to 1,30 pm or so....
Imo, if you can't assure them to have more than 7 ( at the very least) hours of direct sunlight exposition, your goal will be seriously jeopardized.
Also, them poppies are not cannabis, they are not demanding plants regarding nutrition or specific soil, they can grow in very poor sandy grounds, but despite it, they still are fragile living beings, specially when young.
They don't like being transplanted, they need water but at the same time they can't tolerate too much of it....
I totally get you wanting to grow them as a hobbie, just for the pleasure of seeing them growing, but if you can't provide them enough sun or if electrical bills will be involved, I honestly would forget about it.

If you live in USA the penalty is kinda on the stiff side if you get caught. No way to lie your way out of it if they're in your basement.
I wonder how they would charge you ,by weight ?weighing the uprooted plants as finished product ? Heroin ā€¦
Manufacturing,and distribution charges without a doubt,but theyā€™ll offer some type of deal as long as you stay with the personal use thing,Iā€™d get rid of any scales or baggies or anything remotely associated with dealing Iā€™d remove from the premises,and never grow if you own the property cause youā€™ll lose it..

Last edited:
I grew some indoors recently. The resulting poppies were far stronger than any outdoor grown poppies I've had (and I have consumed many pounds of outdoor poppies).

So it certainly can be done. It was alot of work but it was also quite fascinating to watch them grow. I grew them in a little 4x4 grow tent (as well as another group in my garage).

A couple of things:

- Don't grow them during the summer unless you live somewhere where it doesn't get too hot, or you can control the temperature. The grow tent shouldn't reach over 80 degrees, and the young plants like colder temps (65-70 degrees).

- In the tent I used two inexpensive "600W" LED lights I bought on Amazon (the true output of these are like 60W).

- I used standard potting soil but I mixed in perlite at a ratio of 3 parts soil 1 part perlite

- Feed regularly with organic fertilizers and blood meal

Would recommend doing research, I read everything I could find on the subject of growing poppies.

However, I will never grow these again. I must have some Afghan blood in me because it turns out I was very good at growing these, and I wound up yielding far more than I anticipated. As someone who has been horribly and hopelessly addicted to opioids in the past, a good strong dose of this stuff thows off my already low functioning opioid system. About three to four days after drinking tea made from these pods, a slowly developing depression sort of comes over me, as well as joint pain, difficulty sleeping, skin sensitivity, etc. This state lasts for a good 10 days, maybe more. Not really worth it. So not going to grow them anymore.

I gave some to my girlfriend when she was having really bad period pain. Right after dosing her (a capsule with raw opium in it) I realized the dose was too high. I figured she might get sick, vomiting, etc, and figured worse case I might have to give her some naltrexone. I go to check on her an hour later and she looks absolutely fucked up, high as hell, scratching her face, etc. I asked her, "did I give you too much?", and with a raspy voice (as if she had just emerged from surgery and the general anesthetic is wearing off) she says, "No I think it was the right amount".

My girlfriend has no history of drug use and what is interesting is that I have given her opioids in the past to treat pain, opioids such as hydrocodone, tianeptine, o-desmethyltramadol and kratom, but she never seemed to enjoy the effect. The opium however was very different in that she seemed to actually enjoy it, and unlike the other opioids I've given her in the past, she has asked for the poppies again. But that was the last time she'll be having it.