• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pill snorters...have you had lung problems?

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
It's documented in the scientific literature that snorting pharmaceutical pills damages the lungs since youre inhaling filler into your lungs also.

Has anyone had such issues? I think I damaged a new organ to add to my list. I was having lung pain after snorting pills and it just feels harder to breathe now. Or I may have damaged my nasal passage making it narrow is kind of how it feels. Also there are fleeting pinpoint pains in the lungs sometimes.

At the same time I can go out and swim laps pretty hard for 30 minutes to the point of my body overheating and feel normal while doing it and even after...but the tightness seems to return.

Taking opioids or benzos even orally seems to make the feeling vanish...making me hope this is a symtom of withdrawal and anxiety and chest tightness rather than straight up lung damage.

I've used maybe 15 to 20 boxes (50 chargers of nitrous) over the last year and that seems to really fuck my lungs and breathing up too after.

Plenty of weed smoking also although that doesn't seem to directly cause pain when I do it.

Wanna just take lots of opioids to not feel the pain so I can stop panicking and also feel high and forget about it.

Addiction is hell. I hate this lifestyle so fucking much. I've been trying to get completely clean for a couple years to no avail.

I personally have been snorting 40mg oxy, cocaine, h, clonazepam and am 27 and have no damage. I think the damage comes when you snort a v v fine powder that can get into your lungs as a. "dust"

I personally have been snorting 40mg oxy, cocaine, h, clonazepam and am 27 and have no damage. I think the damage comes when you snort a v v fine powder that can get into your lungs as a. "dust"
How many years have you done it? It seemed to only happen to me when I recently stared doing it with methadone pills. Which is completely idiotic because it doesn't help the high I'm just addicted to snorting.

Methadone stings bad when you snort it not smooth like oxy or hydromorphone or coke.

How many years have you done it?
I've been doing it since 19. But personally I've always had the luxury of having the best quality stuff. If you are worried speak to your doctor or if you cannot afford that (In the US or something. I am in the UK).

"Wanna just take lots of opioids to not feel the pain so I can stop panicking and also feel high and forget about it."

I relate tot his 1000% man. I got lucky enough to OD and end up in one of the best hospitals in the UK. I haven't injected anything for nearly 2 years. My doctor put me on oxycodone to help me reduce my intake and it's working! If I were you I would definitely seek medical help for the addiction, depending on where you are I can help you find it.

The best advice on the benzo side is to STAY CAREFUL AND AWAY; I am addicted to benzos and withdrawal can and does kill people. If you aren't addicted already STOP NOW. I wish I could turn back the clock and say no to diazepam the first time. Worst part of my life; worse than opioids man.

Peace. Feel free to message me if needed.

RLRAD

I've been doing it since 19. But personally I've always had the luxury of having the best quality stuff. If you are worried speak to your doctor or if you cannot afford that (In the US or something. I am in the UK).

"Wanna just take lots of opioids to not feel the pain so I can stop panicking and also feel high and forget about it."

I relate tot his 1000% man. I got lucky enough to OD and end up in one of the best hospitals in the UK. I haven't injected anything for nearly 2 years. My doctor put me on oxycodone to help me reduce my intake and it's working! If I were you I would definitely seek medical help for the addiction, depending on where you are I can help you find it.

The best advice on the benzo side is to STAY CAREFUL AND AWAY; I am addicted to benzos and withdrawal can and does kill people. If you aren't addicted already STOP NOW. I wish I could turn back the clock and say no to diazepam the first time. Worst part of my life; worse than opioids man.

Peace. Feel free to message me if needed.

RLRAD
I am on day 7 of no diazepam. Minor withdrawal but not too bad. I really need to not pick up again on that one.

I can't tell my doctor because I have have chronic pain condition the opioids are prescribed for amd they will never write me a script again. I have skipped so much mental and now physical Healthcare in order to keep my script and not admit being an addict.

I would have to come up with an elaborate lie for exposure to toxins in my lungs

For water soluble compunds of lower weight why not waterline them? Prep as with IV if desired. Clean surface, clean tooter - waterline. Or use a drip or spray bottle. I just thought fuck it I should do this w/ my bupe tablets.

I've snorted pills, meth, street heroin, etc.. for 15 years.

And surprisingly, a catscan showed that my sinuses and paransasal sinuses were all clear.

One rule of thumb I go by, is if it burns your nose, it's probably not good over the long term.
But if it doesn't burn, it's probably not damaging your nasal cavities too much.

As for the lungs..

Watch out for things like talc, I believe, that are in some pills. This can be bad if too much gets in your lungs I believe.
Plus when you snort something, you just want it to coat the mucus membranes in your nose/sinuses. So there's no need to snort it in a way that it was go into the lungs.

Fine powders, like some one else said have an easier time slipping through regardless of how you snort it though.

Using a nasal saline solution after snorting can also help, as far as the sinuses and what not go.

Hi,
I snorted my buprenorphine for a few years, around 4. Off and on.
I recently had a CT scan that showed a large cyst in my right lung. The pulmonologist says it’s congenital, that it’s not caused by my drug use. But, not sure if he’s correct about that. I worry that I caused this because I remember feeling the dust enter my lungs sometimes. I stupidly didn’t know it could do damage.

It’s not just Talc, it’s almost all pill fillers. Cellulose, crospovidone, starch and others. They are very damaging. Don’t snort things daily, take breaks between for a few weeks to let your lungs clear what they can.

Ive been sniffing pills for 10+ years. And not effects yet. 🤞
Please be careful. The fillers in those pills can lodge in your lungs and get stuck there permanently. Years of doing this is bound to cause damage and sometimes the damage doesn’t create symptoms until years and years later. You don’t want to mess with your respiratory system, it’s so important.
I still have no symptoms with my breathing at all. Who knows if this cyst is from snorting pills but, I quit on the spot when I found out it was there.

You can also give yourself emphysema. Research some of the safer ways to use intranasally if you can’t quit. There are a lot of ways to do it more safely.

Please be careful. The fillers in those pills can lodge in your lungs and get stuck there permanently. Years of doing this is bound to cause damage and sometimes the damage doesn’t create symptoms until years and years later. You don’t want to mess with your respiratory system, it’s so important.
I still have no symptoms with my breathing at all. Who knows if this cyst is from snorting pills but, I quit on the spot when I found out it was there.

You can also give yourself emphysema. Research some of the safer ways to use intranasally if you can’t quit. There are a lot of ways to do it more safely.
Thank u ill look that up rn

Cysts are either congenital (from birth) or caused by build up of fatty tissues.

I fail to see how snorting buprenorphine would cause a cyst in your lung.

Talc is dangerous because it does not dissolve and will just sit there in your lung. Snorting enough of of it will eventually cause your lungs to fill with fluid.

However, there is no talc in most buprenorphine tablets. And since these are meant to be dissolved on a mucous membrane, i'm pretty sure they would dissolve in the wet environment of your lungs and go through them.

Not saying your facts aren't true regarding other pills, but a pill that's meant to be absorbed through a mucus membrane is unlikely to have ingredients that do not dissolve in the lung as well.

While there's nothing wrong with sharing the dangers of snorting, let''s not fear monger based on a cyst that even your doctor says is congenital. And why wouldn't they be correct? The lungs are literally their life's work. Depending on the growth and severity of it, it's possible it had been there for a long time. Since it would have had to of shown up in those 4 years you were snorting and the rest of us here have been snorting for much longer and are fine. I won't rule out it out but it's highly unlikely that drugs caused it IMO.

PS : Don't snort so hard. There is a pretty decent blocked off path from your nasal cavity to your lungs. Unless you snort a very fine powder really hard, than hardly any of it should even be going to your lungs.
You only want to snort something so that it settles on the nasal cavity (where it will be absorbed). You should avoid snorting so hard that the powder goes through to your lungs. You can also protect yourself by keeping your head tilted forward when you snort.

Last edited:
Cysts are either congenital (from birth) or caused by build up of fatty tissues.

I fail to see how snorting buprenorphine would cause a cyst in your lung.

Talc is dangerous because it does not dissolve and will just sit there in your lung. Snorting enough of of it will eventually cause your lungs to fill with fluid.

However, there is no talc in most buprenorphine tablets. And since these are meant to be dissolved on a mucous membrane, i'm pretty sure they would dissolve in the wet environment of your lungs and go through them.

Not saying your facts aren't true regarding other pills, but a pill that's meant to be absorbed through a mucus membrane is unlikely to have ingredients that do not dissolve in the lung as well.

While there's nothing wrong with sharing the dangers of snorting, let''s not fear monger based on a cyst that even your doctor says is congenital. And why wouldn't they be correct? The lungs are literally their life's work. Depending on the growth and severity of it, it's possible it had been there for a long time. Since it would have had to of shown up in those 4 years you were snorting and the rest of us here have been snorting for much longer and are fine. I won't rule out it out but it's highly unlikely that drugs caused it IMO.

PS : Don't snort so hard. There is a pretty decent blocked off path from your nasal cavity to your lungs. Unless you snort a very fine powder really hard, than hardly any of it should even be going to your lungs.
You only want to snort something so that it settles on the nasal cavity (where it will be absorbed). You should avoid snorting so hard that the powder goes through to your lungs. You can also protect yourself by keeping your head tilted forward when you snort.

I realize that about cysts. Odds are that mine is a congenital cyst that has been there forever. Lung cysts are different than typical cysts in that they are filled with air so they can look similar to lung damage. They actually used the word emphysema to describe it on my CT scan, but they are calling it congenital lobar emphysema which is different than COPD.

My concern was that the pulmonologist misdiagnosed it as a cyst when it could potentially be a Bulla that formed due to my drug use. I’m not a doctor though so I just have to trust his diagnosis for now. I do worry about it though.

There is examples in medical literature of people acquiring lung disease from long term insufflation, it is rare but it can happen and I believe COPD can happen fairly easily from too much dust/excipients entering the lungs over time. I don’t mean to fear monger, I just think people should know that this is a possibility so they can make an educated choice regarding their preferred ROA’s. Lung issues cause a great deal of suffering that I don’t wish anyone to experience.

I hope the doctor is right regarding my lung findings. I have two small kids and I am really scared that I caused this. In the slight chance that this is related to my actions, snorting the pills is in no way worth it to me and I believe others would feel the same if they caused any kind of damage. I just think it’s good to be aware and take breaks often. Maybe try to find a way to avoid powder making its way into the lungs altogether. If I had known about the potential for harm to my lungs, I would have been so much more careful. I just wasn’t aware and maybe that was dumb of me.

Don't snort so hard. There is a pretty decent blocked off path from your nasal cavity to your lungs. Unless you snort a very fine powder really hard, than hardly any of it should even be going to your lungs.
This, over and over and over again. Most people I've seen snort think they are Leo in "The Wolf of Wall Street" and tries to assault the line.
Make love, not war.

I am on day 7 of no diazepam. Minor withdrawal but not too bad. I really need to not pick up again on that one.

I can't tell my doctor because I have have chronic pain condition the opioids are prescribed for amd they will never write me a script again. I have skipped so much mental and now physical Healthcare in order to keep my script and not admit being an addict.

I would have to come up with an elaborate lie for exposure to toxins in my lungs
Silica (like the stuff that’s in drywall) would be a good one if you wanna get checked out, I actually believe it may a filler in percs and others as well. If ya can think of a reason to be exposed.. had silica exposure from cleaning ducts in new construction houses.

It's documented in the scientific literature that snorting pharmaceutical pills damages the lungs since youre inhaling filler into your lungs also.
wait, I thought this was essentially a myth? can you link those papers?

This, over and over and over again. Most people I've seen snort think they are Leo in "The Wolf of Wall Street" and tries to assault the line.
Make love, not war.
exactly

plus it's a waste anyways, powder falls out of your nose, creates all this mucous which blocks it from proper absorption

wait, I thought this was essentially a myth? can you link those papers?

exactly

plus it's a waste anyways, powder falls out of your nose, creates all this mucous which blocks it from proper absorption
I don’t think I have come across an example of someone doing this though pill snorting (there are countless examples of it due to IV pill use) but I have found some regarding cocaine snorting. Here is one;

I would be interested to see if anyone has ever found an example of this due to pills specifically. In theory, it should be possible.

I don’t think I have come across an example of someone doing this though pill snorting (there are countless examples of it due to IV pill use) but I have found some regarding cocaine snorting. Here is one;

I would be interested to see if anyone has ever found an example of this due to pills specifically. In theory, it should be possible.

I've always been paranoid when running through say, a construction site with a bunch of dust in the air. I'm breathing so hard, I'd imagine some particles get into my lungs.

I've always been paranoid when running through say, a construction site with a bunch of dust in the air. I'm breathing so hard, I'd imagine some particles get into my lungs.
Yeah, it typically takes years and years of being in that environment for hours almost daily for that to actually do any damage or cause disease. But it’s good to be aware of it.

The link I just posted is a really scary one, that’s a super rare phenomenon for that to happen due to insufflation but it’s just good to know that it’s a thing.