• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pill snorters...have you had lung problems?

Not so much with pills, but I was on a powdered snuff kick for a while and it always got sucked into my lungs no matter how gently I sniffed it. I started getting a chronic tickling cough and that's the main reason that I quit.

I had thought that it would be better for my lungs than smoking, but it turned out to be worse!
Ah, word

I used to snort alot of pills on a daily basis. For a long time. While I don't seem to have suffered much in term of immediate effects, im still at risk of complications.

Snorting pills on a regular basis can lead to scarring of the lungs (pulmonary fibrosis). This can often be largely asymptomatic, or subtly so. The problem is, pulmonary fibrosis significantly increases ones risk of developing lung cancer at some stage. Thus the full impact of snorting pills can take a while to materialize.

Here’s what many get wrong. Is something soluble (in what? fat or water?) isn’t only measure of how bad it’s if it ends up in lungs. If small insoluble particles end up in lungs you’ll cough it out. Mucus will form and you’ll cough it out. But it could be some base or acid, soluble in lungs/water ends up in your lungs, fact they dissolve will do you harm not do you a favour cuz lungs will absorb it. Smoke from cigs is mixed situation and therefore bad for you, really bad. Same is with pills, especially some pills. Especially pills with stuff like methadone that’s best not snorted (and I.V.ed) even in pure form. Methadone lungs are real thing and how much damage is from fillers and how much from methadone itself idk.

Be a grown up and extract stuff from your pills if you must snort them or I.V. them.

I used to worry about that but when you stop and think about all the nasty particles floating in the air you breath in all day everyday I dont think snorting (with proper technique) will cause any significant damage. I always squirt a good amount of saline up my nose and it sort of acts as a barrier so the powder sticks to it. I never snort big lines I always do several little bumps with short sharp inhales, I don't expand my chest or use my lungs at all when I snort it if that make sense its kind of hard to describe but inhale with your nostril not your chest sounds retarded but I dont know how to put it into words.

Particles from air partly stuck at hairs in nose, rest slow down and if you breath trough nose normally will be almost totally filtered and just a tiny amount reaches lungs (and there’s a tiny amount anyway if there’s no smoke or a lot of smog in the air), and even that can get bad with time.

Make a line and try to snort it just inhaling as you normally breath, it doesn't really work like that.

Yeah.........actually it does "work just like that" And many people makes smaller bumps and use proper technique to get it to "Stick" better in the sinus passage and not be inhale directly into the lungs. But hey if you wanna be one of those people who snort chunky .3 gram lines in one go straight into your lungs wasting 75% of your drugs and causing particles to get into your lungs, hey by all means keep doing it wrong, not my lungs I dont care what you do. Oh and if you think your nose hairs are like some perfect micron filter that catches every mold particle and piece of dust in the air you breath all day then I don't know what to to tell you except thats pretty naive.

Well I guess some like you breath and snort in a same way, gotta be annoying to hear you breathing.

Back to the pill problem, I checked a few for non-active ingredients and some have Si compounds, it’s really not a good idea to snort that. There’s a reason people use mask while working on crystals (cutting and polishing them) as otherwise you end up with a permanently fucked up lungs very soon.

Yep..phneumonia a year or two ago not sure how long now exactly..might have been the years of snorting subs daily.

That’s possible. Not likely but is possible and happens sometimes (strain put by a lot powder entering where it shouldn’t potentially makes you more suspect to infections; like you probably and one other member lately found out). Various problems with lungs, sinuses and ears can be cause by snorting. Nasal spray or spraying solution with syringe to nose prevents any stuff from entering lungs and also removes strain from sinuses by delivering substance in a liquid so it can absorb faster and more efficient.

I've snorted some very stupid things in my life. They didn't bother my lungs very much, but some set my nose on fire.

Benadryl
Methadone
Avinza (morphine in capsule form)
Bacopa Monnieri (an herb that most people have never heard of!)

I recently stared doing it with methadone pills. Which is completely idiotic because it doesn't help the high I'm just addicted to snorting.

The oral bioavailability of methadone is anywhere from 36-100% with the mean value being 76%. The difference is that it hits so much faster when an parenteral ROA is used.

Here’s what many get wrong. Is something soluble (in what? fat or water?) isn’t only measure of how bad it’s if it ends up in lungs. If small insoluble particles end up in lungs you’ll cough it out. Mucus will form and you’ll cough it out. But it could be some base or acid, soluble in lungs/water ends up in your lungs, fact they dissolve will do you harm not do you a favour cuz lungs will absorb it. Smoke from cigs is mixed situation and therefore bad for you, really bad. Same is with pills, especially some pills. Especially pills with stuff like methadone that’s best not snorted (and I.V.ed) even in pure form. Methadone lungs are real thing and how much damage is from fillers and how much from methadone itself idk.

Be a grown up and extract stuff from your pills if you must snort them or I.V. them.
It’s from the talc in the pills. Once it gets in it ne we gets out. Sorting or Iv it stays in your lungs.

In some pills there’s way worse stuff than talc. Lungs have pretty good mechanism of cleaning themselves but not so good in repairing scars from stuff like Si.

It’s from the talc in the pills. Once it gets in it ne we gets out. Sorting or Iv it stays in your lungs.
most IR and ER pills dont have talc in them. Im pretty sure the companies that make these pills(opiates) know ppl will snort them and dont want to get sued with damage claims.

most IR and ER pills dont have talc in them. Im pretty sure the companies that make these pills(opiates) know ppl will snort them and dont want to get sued with damage claims.
Some of the Ritalin do have talc, one brand in particular. I hope you are right though I’m taking really good care of myself these days

In some pills there’s way worse stuff than talc. Lungs have pretty good mechanism of cleaning themselves but not so good in repairing scars from stuff like Si.
They cannot clean talc out though. It stays there causing inflammation

Spiralussancti-- estimated damage on chronic bupe insufflation? What are some things I should never snort but very well may be tempted to? you seem to know your shit here.

As far as I know no damage done.... that isn't really how these things work so I only have that. No deviated cavity after quite awhile. Seems harmless, probably isn't but ill wait for someone with better than, 'didn't bother me'

weezyfidelis-- I haven't snorted ritalin in a decade but i have certainly and plenty. Perhaps even IV. No health problems in this particular case although you were definitely running a risk due to talc.

Kushman-- I would like to believe that true but the second you don't take it orally they are relieved of liability I do believe. If not explain the Opana time release to me, i think TimeRX is the trademark but i forget. Just remember oxyM than oxyC pills becoming near worthless.

Careful with any water also inhaled..or dropped sounds simple enough but alotta people use a drop or two to fight the burn or clear it and I think that is what actually gave me the pneumonia eventually.

Spiralussancti-- estimated damage on chronic bupe insufflation? What are some things I should never snort but very well may be tempted to? you seem to know your shit here.
Idk if this helps but I have a friend who snorts (and sadly used to inject but stopped many years ago) bupe for over a decade and she has wrecked her nose totally and uses nose spray/drops many times a day to be able to breath fine. As for damage to lungs, well she smokes and I’m quite sure that’s worse than few bupes she snorts daily.

What’s my experience with snorting bupe is a bit weird. I never had it prescribed nor used it for very long (or when I did for a bit longer I used really, really minimal amounts for my pain) is that my nose gets fucked up in a different way depending on brand snorted. Some seem to clog up my nose more and some to damage it more (like I end up blowing out some blood out of nose in the morning and such things). I (well my nose) seem to agree better with brands that have bigger pills so in fact more of inert stuff. That makes me wonder if a Dr. that warned me about how damaging snorting or injecting bupe is wasn’t just trying to scare me by claim that buprenorphine itself is damaging when used I.V. (by her claim more than methadone). And what she said made me thing how a few people I know who used to inject bupe (without proper filtering with micron filter) run out of veins very fast, like x time faster than those I know who used injecting MST (and slow release stuff also without proper filtering) or methadone (some without proper filtering some with alcohol extraction). But those injecting methadone without filtering sometimes end up with methadone lungs and that’s maybe just another name for talcosis?

Back to topic and snorting pills. To take care of your lungs you can either take time to extract only active substance (usually also best option for your nose) or make a spray (using water and ending up with only water soluble stuff) or a combo of both. If you decide for second option just by spraying or putting drops of dissolved substance/pill to your nose none will end up in your lungs and done properly it’ll even absorb faster and give you less drip. Even that simplest option is better than just snorting pills, especially if you do it regularly or in big amount.

As for what pills are especially bad to snort depends on formulation. I’ll again mention anything silicon as being worse than talc (basically chalk). When grinding quartz amount that’ll make your lungs feel bad is so minuscule (you might breath in amount of quartz dust that’s 1/1000 of some pill and start coughing) and without any but best and total protection people working with gems often end up with silicosis (I guess it’s spelled so) so silicon based fillers in pills too certainly ain’t good. Si compounds inhaled scar lungs and cause very severe lung problems. Not sure what other compounds could be similarly damaging.

Once/if you end up with cavity in the nose it’s absolutely time to stop snorting. People snorting up line and some stuff immediately ending up in their throat and lungs and making them cough is a really bad news. I’ve met a coke freak who literally coughs up coke, I kid you not! Idk how good is his gear but he claims it’s beyond average here, what doesn’t mean a lot but I’m sure his stuff at least isn’t cut with stuff that isn’t water soluble. That’s one of richest and saddest example of drug addict I met. Really hope his better cuz of sake of his wife and children as he was heading toward grave or total insanity at fast pace. Most people with damaged nose (including me) fucked up their nose with coke but keep snorting enough of whatever and damage occurs (if you stop immediately at first signs of damage to nose and don’t snort anything for months and months there’s a chance for nose to recover).