Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

One of us is getting very very boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the 'if you don't like it don't open it' comments. The truth is there are plenty of thread ideas which I think are good and could provide interesting discussion but when I open them I'm faced with 6 pages of replies written by 3 bluelighters and I can't be fucked adding my 2 cents.

Up All Night -

my 'if you don't like it don't open it' comment was directed to the people who were complaining about the quality of thread being started - not their content after this fact.

i totally agree with you in that perfectly decent threads can be totally ruined by a couple of people hijacking it for there own personal "funny" jokes and conversation...

just to clarify :)

and strumpet - thanks for your compliment - i consider myself a newbie because I only joined up in 04, some people have been here 4 times that long :)

I'm probably going to get attacked for saying this but anyway-
I post in Aus Social when I have a question or topic that is relevant to Australia and also post in the off topic thread thingie because I was asked to join in (not mentioning names here).

What I want to know is- who is welcome here? I am Australian so I should be able to post here without feeling like I am treading on people's toes.

If there is a thread like the word assoc one or the off topic one can I post in it without pissing people off?

Geez-A said:
If there is a thread like the word assoc one or the off topic one can I post in it without pissing people off?

Wow! I never even thought about having to get invited. Hmmmmm hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes. :(

I just assumed any thread on bluelight was really open to anyone as long as you fit the category. If not, send to lots of recipients in email.

strumpet said:
Wow! I never even thought about having to get invited. Hmmmmm hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes. :(

I just assumed any thread on bluelight was really open to anyone as long as you fit the category. If not, send to lots of recipients in email.

You are most welcome to post in any thread on BL :)...Geez-A is just more used to the lounge and a different set of rules apply in there.

[edit] i was gonna post something here some might find humorous, but in the current environment i don't think i will [/edit]

Excellent =D

Thank you -- I'm sure others would like to hear that too.

Now, some people would probably say that my reply in the last two lines should have been sent by PM ... as maybe they should have ... and these are the kinds of posts that shouldn't appear in threads.

I'm allowing myself the indiscretion because I think it (however slightly) illustrates part of the point of the thread??:\

KemicalBurn said:
You are most welcome to post in any thread on BL :)...Geez-A is just more used to the lounge and a different set of rules apply in there.

Explain the rules KB- nicely as this is actually a serious question ok? The lounge seems to have different rules for different people. Does this apply here as well? :(

i'm wondering what effect this thread is going to have on lurkers stepping out of the shadows. i've only recently got up the confidence to post within what seems like such a clique, and now i'm beginning to doubt everything that i want to post. i agree about pointless off topic comments, but i think a lot of comments in this thread might discourage people to share their opinion due to fear of being ostrasised.

^ that is what I am thinking. Maybe the ppl who have been around for a while can step in and give pointers. What EXACTLY is appropriate here? What isnt? Again- without any personal attacks or nastiness.

^^ I wasn't aware that there were any 'rules' about "joining in" threads in Aus Social. I would hope there AREN'T! Or if there are, I don't know them... I could have been committing heaps of faux pas in complete ignorance :D

Oh the only rule you do need to know is don't post about non-alcoholic drinks in UnSquare's drinking thread. He goes postal =D

Just to add my 2cents to the wishing well, I actually don't mind Aus Social at the moment! The pointless banter between the new posters is annoying, yes, but I'm liking most of the topics and I never felt there to be much of a problem . 5 pages of thread = guess I was wrong :D

Heh... but it's nice to see this kind of cathartis every now and then. I think it's healthy to air all this stuff and unites us again as a group. :)

Geez-A said:
Explain the rules KB- nicely as this is actually a serious question ok? The lounge seems to have different rules for different people. Does this apply here as well? :(

actually its the same set of rules in the lounge for all people - they are just more critical of people in there and the dont let much slide in there. while im speaking candidly, i like you, but you seem to make some seriously silly moves when you decide to flame someone (like KS or GL - in my years on being on different forums, they would have to rate as a couple of the best flamers ive ever come across)

In here - people are generally more easy going. except of course in the case Zandesh who appears to know where the line is, but continues to pushe the envelope.

joannie_mhm said:
i'm wondering what effect this thread is going to have on lurkers stepping out of the shadows. i've only recently got up the confidence to post within what seems like such a clique, and now i'm beginning to doubt everything that i want to post. i agree about pointless off topic comments, but i think a lot of comments in this thread might discourage people to share their opinion due to fear of being ostrasised.

^^ We all feel that way at first joannie, with very few exceptions.

I remember when I first came here I was terrified to post anywhere except the ecstacy forums and a little bit in SLR. I avoided Aus Social for the VERY reason you just mentioned even up to about the middle of last year, would you believe... even as a mod or Senior mod!

I felt ignored when I did post, and didn't know anyone, and just felt awkward. It's only just recently I've felt slightly more comfortable here. It's different in SLR for some reason, well was for me anyway.

But then I just thought fuckit, I want to BELONG to this community, and just started posting anyway. I didn't think I had anything interesting or intelligent to say either, but people started to respond.

The internet's not much different to real life if you think about it. Hang back and don't share yourself with your work collegues or friends, and nobody knows you and nobody responds to you, or not as warmly as you see others being responded to. Have the courage to speak your truth here with respect and a sense of humour, just be who you are (as cliched as that obviously sounds) and you will gradually shine from the group.... or at least gain your own little bit of infamy ;)

I never forget what it used to be like.... I still feel that way in The Lounge to this day. ;)

:)

I've been here long enough to see many people come and go, and I think Up All Night was pretty accurate in that 80% of the posts seem to be coming from 5 or 6 people, and as such the threads are losing the opinion/perspective based feel they used to have and taking on a real conversational/chit chat bent.

I also feel that a lot of older BL'ers who were quality posters are no longer posting as much or at all.

Mods of Aus Social have always reigned with a firm fist and this has always been good in the sense that new people joining would quickly learn what was appropriate and what wasn't and this kept the integrity of the forum in check. With so many new people joining around Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan I feel that sheer weight of numbers has meant the mods have not been able to exercise the content control they once did, consequently the forum has in a sense been overwhelmed and changed, taking on a more conversational feel.

To be honest I was thinking of starting up a thread like this a couple of weeks ago because I feel the Aus Social content has deteriorated into a lot of one line back-and-forth. It appears I'm not the only one.

I don't think Bluelight Aus Social should be what the masses want to make of it. I don't think it is 'our' board either. I think there is a certain high standard of posting that was established many years ago and that it should be maintained above all else by the mods, if it begins to subtely shift then it shouldn't be justified through evolution... it should be forcefully brought back to the established ideal.

Re. the mods.. there's always been a 'tough mod' who makes the unpopular decisions, and there's always been the other mods who are perceived as being more chilled out. I think the tough decisions and the ruthless editing and warning duties need to be shared around a little better to be honest, it presents a more united front and shares the burden of having to make potentially unpopular decisions.

My personal opinion is that this board is changing for the worse content wise, and it's the responsibility of all 3 mods to stop that from happening.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
^^ We all feel that way at first joannie, with very few exceptions.

That exception being me :p

Anyways

newbies will always make mistakes, but by flaming them and not trying to give pointers and tips in a civilisied manner will result in no changes happening.

If maybe just sending a pm and saying something along the lines of :

"Hey there, you should possibly lay off your postwhoring and sexual inneundos as most people on here don't like or find it amusing. I'm saying this here in hope you'll change and take this on board"

Something like that anywho..

This is what scares new people from posting .. who are possibly the nice fresh minds bl needs. But in all fairness i agree with what is being said.

I still feel like a newbie even though i've a few years behind me now .. but i remember thinking that my posts werent being listened too and didnt matter.

Threads like this discourage new thought ... and fire up the boring fuckers milling about.

I'm sure these 5-6 people know who they are .. and the rest of you .. dont be afraid to post just because your not in their little clique :)

And yes the boredom has increased .. and yes UAN .. the waking up and not remembering what you posted is a lovely experience hehe :)

sure zandesh is bad, but whatever happened to PN when he first registered?

Like Up All Night said, I could name a select few posters here fucking shit up at the moment, but everyone already knows who they are and so do they.
Maybe, have a life outside Bluelight, dont take it so seriosuly, its a great place. I come here when I'm bored, hell I come here any time but dont feel the need to post all the time. Myself, I'm here at most a couple hours a week, except for a coupl weeks back i made few posts for abit.

I think its got less to do with being jaded than it does everyone being the same socially mature people we all are offline as we should be online.
I'm not talking about jokes etc, but moreso common courtesy and respect for any bluelighter or greenlighter.
Pst count means fuck all, I think everyone at some time has something interesting id like to hear, more of that and less one liners.
Mindless threads being posted and meaningless posts deter intelligent people from starting creative threads that do generate discussion.

You could ban said users, if they really want to post here seriously, theyll re-register and hopefully make some decent posts.

just my 2 cents.

*stesps out of the spotlight*

KemicalBurn said:
actually its the same set of rules in the lounge for all people - they are just more critical of people in there and the dont let much slide in there. while im speaking candidly, i like you, but you seem to make some seriously silly moves when you decide to flame someone (like KS or GL - in my years on being on different forums, they would have to rate as a couple of the best flamers ive ever come across)

In here - people are generally more easy going. except of course in the case Zandesh who appears to know where the line is, but continues to pushe the envelope.

You are correct KB. It is really not in my nature to go out of my way to flame people ok? However I have responded when people, such as the two you mentioned, have had a go at me or my friends. Having said that- if I am nice to people Im a "suck". I only say nice things to people if I mean them- and most people are pretty nice.
I know shouldnt retaliate when ppl like GL have a go at me- that's what he WANTS but should I then let him question my morals/insult me/ whatever just because he is a good flamer and I am not? The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Thanks for your answer btw.

<3

Originally posted by Macksta
I don't think Bluelight Aus Social should be what the masses want to make of it. I don't think it is 'our' board either.

^Well said, Macksta.

I agree with this contradictory statement - - - it's all about balance - - - this isn't our board. There's no way we can say, 'We were here first, you have to keep everything in the same vein".

Any forum, media, communication, is going to eventually take on the look and feel of the time it exists in.
There are new eras dawning every day in Aus. Social - - - it doesn't mean we have to shut out new users, but it also doesn't mean we have to saturate the forums to include only what is relevant to them.

The most we can do is moderate [which I think is in some cases a thankless job which is completed to the best of anna!, onetwothreefour and raz's abilities], and gently accept new users into the community to share their knowledge and experiences, and to also respect our foundations.

I've been avoiding this thread for a while, as many others, I've seen it and thought to myself, "It's about time someone started whingeing about thread quality again", so the wheel turns.

Also I didn't quite know what I could contribute to the discussion, looking at what would have already [inevitibly] been covered.
But, Macksta, you've provided me with the inspiration required for my brain to click, and allow me to voice my opinion. :p

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
it's nice to see this kind of cathartis every now and then. I think it's healthy to air all this stuff and unites us again as a group. :) [/B]

yeah i agree with that. it feels like when you're in a relationship and have a big fight and sort out all the crap that was standing in the way of a nice happy relationship!

also with reference to mods, i've noticed they dont post much (or as much as i'd personally expect a mod to) despite the fact they're obviously reading every thread. another indication of the times and how they are a-changing?

Zandesh said:

newbies will always make mistakes, but by flaming them and not trying to give pointers and tips in a civilisied manner will result in no changes happening.

I was flamed when i joined. i learnt.
Linus to copped a fair (playful most of the time;)) amount too for not using the search function :D he learnt.
Keystroke is still being flamed ;):D
Geez-A still gets a fair bit - but she'll get it :)
DiegoBlunt was never flamed cause he rocks.
Chik. ... well ... she just seems to ask for it sometimes ;);)

the fact is dude, flaming n00bs is a time honoured tradition to teach people how to the ways of a certain forum. public humilation seems to be the best method - the ones who learn: stay. the ones who dont: dont come back cause its almost as if theres a "flame on sight" warrant issued for them...

you obviously know what you're doing is pissing us off - do you want to banned for being a postwhoring troll? dont think for one instant that it wont happen - its called "spring cleaning" of members and it happened only a few months ago - and its a re-occuring thing. it has nothing to do with the number of warnings you have either ...send a PM to a BLer by the name of "Rusty Cage". he had to banned before he learnt the ways of BL. and now he's a productive member.

but of course - that was for the community forums...im half ready to send a PM to BT asking if he'll do the same here.

fairly warned says I.

Status
Not open for further replies.