Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

One of us is getting very very boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, what am I doing right now that is pissing you off KB? Is it for just being able to post alot? Is it because I like posting in the more spam like threads?

If you haven't noticed, but I tend to stay away from the more serious threads, especially if I don't have anything valuable to say.

i see flaming as being the same as being bullied at school or within your family.
it all depends on how you react to it. and everyone reacts to it differently depending on what sort of a person they are.
for instance, i have three older brothers who teased me to no end growing up, i could never just ignore them, always took the bait. i'm the same when i'm being flamed. i know stuff is being said just to get a reaction out of me, but i just cant help myself.

Zandesh said:
If you haven't noticed, but I tend to stay away from the more serious threads, especially if I don't have anything valuable to say.

You dont seem to understand :\ its not one line posts that are pissing people. its posts you make that could quite easily be taken to MSN or another form of instant messenger.

Regardless of wihich thread its in - its fucking annoying.

Originally posted by up all night
Seriously though, just do what I do - only come online when you're really drunk and then just act all bitter and rude and forget what you posted in the morning. It's working for me. ;)

Originally posted by nezo
Aus social, like any internet forum, reflects the attitude and styles of it's moderators.

not necessarily.

Originally posted by up all night
I feel like naming names here - like a death list of people who write one sentence posts and only in reply to one of their internet friends. Maybe I'll come back later tonight when I'm drunk.

Or maybe I don't really need to because it's obvious who are the culprits.

I think it's hard for the mods to actually alter the way people respond in threads I just wish people would think more carefully before they post. Either that or you should only be allowed to make maximum 20 posts a day because then people would think more carefully before posting inane shit.

<3

Originally posted by joannie_mhm
i'm the same when i'm being flamed. i know stuff is being said just to get a reaction out of me, but i just cant help myself.

^The concept of flaming is not giving someone bait - - - it's just making an example of them to show them not to behave in that way.
It's not bullying - - - it's discipline.

Zandesh - we've all heard your point of veiw heaps of times now!! This is hardly an intelligent debate where it's actually worthwhile slanging varying opinions back and forth.

Anyhow - you know darn well that a lot of people are referring to your posts + a handful of other people! Why bother to continue to defend your actions in the same context as your post before? Just accept that some people are pissed off with a group of 5-6 in Aus social and you're 1 of them.

Saying the same thing in different words over and over and over only proves everyones problem with you (and other people involved)! POINTLESSNESS!

Now, that being said - I don't have a personal problem with you but just felt like it was worth pointing out because this threads gettting repeditive! It started with a sense of meaning and purpose!

Originally posted by Zandesh
Exactly!

One of the main reasons why I got hooked onto BL was the fact that there are so many aussies, and there's meetups quite regularly. It's nice getting to meet new people.

which is great. but the fact that you enjoy the place and like posting here doesn't make it your forum. the forum has a bunch of rules that anna, raz and myself try our best to keep, and that's pretty much that.

it's not a democracy here: the rules are set, and though we all, obviously, allow the rules to bent a little, the final say remains with us. it's pointless for us to hold onto rules that are only making life difficult for everyone, but i think it is similarly pointless to let the forum turn to shit even if the majority of people like to post one word replies and talk about nothing.

there have been some amazing threads in this forum - even lately - like the politics thread, the abortion thread, even the drinking thread (which proves that a topic needn't be "intellectual" per se to attract compelling discussion), so it is sad when a certain faction of the place is more interested in the threads which pertain only to bullshit that should be sent through email or chatted about on the #bluelight irc channel.

and i realise this was a specific reply to your post, zandesh, but it is just as much a reply to all of the people who seem to think that this place bases its rules on what everybody wants.

Originally posted by strumpet
Please, this IS a public forum. And while I agree that some posts are absolutely out of this world horrifyingly benign (to me), others probably find me a pain in the fucking butt. I accept that --

not really.

although you're effectively making the same point as me anyway, this *is* a forum where only members can post - thus illustrating my point of it not being a democratically run place (fascism ownz, yo).

Originally posted by strumpet
I just assumed any thread on bluelight was really open to anyone as long as you fit the category. If not, send to lots of recipients in email.

don't worry, anyone can post anywhere they want. there's just a certain level of content control that we attempt to implement, but it can be a little difficult.

Originally posted by joannie_mhm
i'm wondering what effect this thread is going to have on lurkers stepping out of the shadows. i've only recently got up the confidence to post within what seems like such a clique, and now i'm beginning to doubt everything that i want to post. i agree about pointless off topic comments, but i think a lot of comments in this thread might discourage people to share their opinion due to fear of being ostrasised.

i can't imagine it being too bad. i understand that this thread might seem a little scary to noobs, but all people need to keep in mind is that what we want more than anything is intelligent discussion.

i can only speak for myself, but personally i am much more likely to let the occasional stupid post slide from somebody that i recognise as a valuable, intelligent poster in most other threads. i guess this, to an extent, leads to a little of the cliquey feeling that aus social generates, but that is going to unavoidable anyway, as new/older users meet each other or become more acquainted with each others' posts.

Originally posted by Macksta
With so many new people joining around Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan I feel that sheer weight of numbers has meant the mods have not been able to exercise the content control they once did, consequently the forum has in a sense been overwhelmed and changed, taking on a more conversational feel.

thanks. i think that's spot-on - i'm sure once uni's back everything will calm down a helluva lot (as it usually does), and a lot of this shit will disappear. it's amusing, on that note, to take a look back and realise that "this kind of thread" generally turns up around twice a year - semester break holidays, and summer holidays. things get better during the year.

Re. the mods.. there's always been a 'tough mod' who makes the unpopular decisions, and there's always been the other mods who are perceived as being more chilled out. I think the tough decisions and the ruthless editing and warning duties need to be shared around a little better to be honest, it presents a more united front and shares the burden of having to make potentially unpopular decisions.

i wonder on this. i know that i'm often perceived as a "chilled out" mod, but i'd like to think that i can make ideal censorship decisions to keep threads on track when necessary, and i try just as much to achieve that without having to delete posts or warn people, when i can.

i agree that it's a responsibility of all of ours though, and so far i think everyone has been pulling their weight as much as possible.

*group hugs raz and anna* :D

Aw. A group hug! :D <3

I think this is the most important point that's been made so far:

i can only speak for myself, but personally i am much more likely to let the occasional stupid post slide from somebody that i recognise as a valuable, intelligent poster in most other threads.

If you make your share of interesting, value adding, intelligent posts then you can get away with making other crapper posts because you'll be seen as someone who's a good contributor(er?) to the community. I think that's the only thing that makes some people's post-whoring less irritating than that of others. If you look at some of the post histories of the "notorious" post whorers in this forum, some of them seem to solely post whore, where others make crap posts amid other good posts. So I don't roll my eyes every time I see one of their posts.

joannie, as for mods not posting, have you looked at 1234's post count lately? ;) He averages 3 times as many posts per day as you do, for example. If it looks as though we're just reading the threads and not making any effort to participate in them, it's probably because we're so busy editing and deleting all the useless stuff out of them :p

From the guidelines:

This is not a chat site.
Though it is tempting to be freely social, chat cannot be accepted. This may be the social forum, but it doesn't mean you can post whatever you like. Too many people are making personal posts that only bear relevance to one or two other people. That's what email, ICQ and IRC are for. To a small extent chat will be tolerated, but it is in the interests of all Bluelighters, particularly those who have just joined Bluelight that we leave chat out. This includes in-jokes and threads which revolve around only a select few people. They can be very funny and quite special to those involved, but try to keep them to a minimum and don't drag them out so that other's who don't understand feel alienated.

If you wish to chat, by all means you are welcome to join the IRC #bluelight channel on au.austnet.org

^ Take note.

I have a simple philosophy when it comes to message boards. if you can't think of something that will improve the quality of the thread, don't post. One of the great things about the old bluelight is that threads were locked down after 100 posts. I mean, who really wants to wade through 20 pages of threads of sensible reading, let alone if most of it is non-contributional crap. I have to admit that in the earlier days when I was often posting when I was coming down after a big weekend, that I would vent my anger or spread the plur in annoying fashion. But seriously guys, one day you'll dig up threads from the archive and just realise what an ass you've been.

wow.

i think it has been nearly a year since we've had the traditional "oh this place sucks" thread...

simple thing to anyone bitching about the forum - if you don't like it, no one is keeping you here.

there are plenty of boards out there, just the same as there are plenty of personalities. different people like different things. yes, i find the off topic thread pointless, so i dont go in there. i do however, like playing word association (as do a lot of people on here). if you don't like word association, dont open the thread. i dont like the singles thread, i dont go in there.

the reason people put titles on threads is so you know whats in there. no-one is forcing you to read them. you will, however, be forced to read silly posts by people (yes, i'm to blame here..). shit happens. sometimes i'm in the mood where i dont want to read peoples crap. i skip over them. same as at times i dont want to read a long complicated thread or post. i skip over it.

for those who are complaining about no originality in this thread, well, i've been around here for 4 years now, and i'm pretty sure that most topics have been covered in one way or another. and there are a lot of people out there who jump on the this has been posted before bandwagon (i do it occasionally) and then we end up with mods locking the new threads and bumping the old ones. the reason a thread has moved off the front couple of pages is because no-one is interested in it. if its that important, archive it. otherwise, let someone re-invigorate the topic by starting a new thread. i know i'm less likely to scroll through 7 pages to read the last post on a thread that i have seen for ages. i'm more likely to see what new thoughts have been developed in a new thread.

undoubtebly someone is going to take offence to something i have written in this post. personally, i dont really care. if you have taken offence, please just remember that we are all different people, and not everyone is going to think the same as you. tolerance is not just about understanding where someone is coming from. it's having respect for them & their thoughts, and letting them live their life the way they want to.

please just remember, this is a social forum. its a great way to meet people. we have forums for just about everything else under the sun, so if you want to discuss music, drugs, sex, thoughts, awareness, health issues or just piss fart about, go to one of the other forums. but i'll stay here. i've enjoy getting to know people through their posts, having arguments, making friends, generally learning more about life.

if you can't handle that, go.

muzby said:
the reason people put titles on threads is so you know whats in there. no-one is forcing you to read them. you will, however, be forced to read silly posts by people (yes, i'm to blame here..). shit happens.

I think we all agree, silly posts are ok once in a while from everyone, but not all the time by certain people.

Fuck i love this thread! :)

^ I have learned a lot from some of the posts in this thread. For some weird reason I got it into my head that Aus Social was only really for a core group of people- but its not. Bloody hell- we are the most friendly bunch on the planet I reckon.
I dunno if I'm a useless poster or not really. Its a matter of opinion but guidance (not flaming) is appreciated. Thanks once again.

i'm just like "who really gives a fuck". why does this have to be such an issue? do the site owners complain constantly about aus social or bandwidth?

all i'm saying is that the mods close the majority of fucked up threads so what's the big deal? sure it's annoying seeing page long conversations between 2 people, but they get warned and the posts get deleted. i understand for the mods this must be frustrating, having to constantly remind people of "the rules", but it's not like everybody is doing it. it seems a tad hypocritical for so many in this thread to bitch when they themselves are or have been guilty of such things in the past. sure there is a hell of a lot of pointless posts and threads, but i think there is quite a few good ones to even things out.

what's wrong with a one line reply as long as it relates to the topic?
if i see a serious thread full of 20 line responses it quite often turns me off reading the whole damn thing.

i don't have a life, and yet even i don't find this oh such an important issue to get pissed about. move on

^^^ i like this man.

remind me to buy him a beer sometime. :)

^ I'd buy you one Muzby on Saturday if i can make it to the Brissy. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.