• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Olympics - Beijing 2008

Chaos Butterfly said:
bloody brits coming in and getting better at cycling and stealing all our gold medals!!

bastards!!

but seriously, fantastic effort on getting your cycling program up from quite sub-par to pretty much the best in the world. Fantastic athletes and fantastic program = many many medals.

CB :)

hey, you guys have some really nice swimmers! :) and some of them are nice to look at... =D

Jonathan Horton is a monster....

Can't wait to see the BMX racing!!

Congrats to Johnson for getting her GOLD!

Naptown Wicked said:
Stupid gymnastics tie-breakers. Shouldn't have even come down to that....
Nastia's routine was definitely better.

It's incredible she's done what she has with all the shitty judging going against her this whole time. They keep trying to keep her down, but she's too good. They always end up giving her a good score because they can't explain giving her pisspoor scores throughout the whole competition.

The worst the judges could get away with this time was a tie so that's what she got. Just a sly way to screw her.

[offensive racist remark removed - CB]

Oops. Yeah I guess I got a little excited and carried away. I apologize. I meant no offense with my humor. :eek: :( :eek:

bahh... i actually thought that us aussies had a chance in the game of basketball against the US. Bogut had us all talked up, we even only trailed by 1 at the first quater. but now, with only 3 minutes left, the yanks have us by around 30.

it seems that as soon as people jump on a bandwagon they jump straight back off. probably the main ploy of the olympics, atleast in my eyes. still, its fun while it lasts.

tambourine-man said:
Capital, old chap!

I heard some random expert on the news yesterday saying that we should heed the example set by the cycling team - that is, invest heavily in those sports and athletes that actually have a chance of winning, as opposed to supporting a broader range of athletes that have less than an outside chance of success. They were advocating the idea that, as a small country, we can't afford to compete against the US/China/Russia in the top events, so we should pour our money into the "toff sports" where there's a smaller pool of competitors and absolutely spank everybody at things we're good at.

Shame there isn't an event where wearing jumpers and being called Jeremy can earn you accolades. Oh wait... that's cricket.

Hahahaha =D

On a different, aussie-baiting tack: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7571901.stm

:)

CONGRATS to Shawn and Nastia for getting Gold and Silver on beam. What a great way to end the Olympics! I was so happy to see Shawn finally get her gold. She did a great beam routine!! So did Nastia! The Chinese thought they were going to sweep the womans gynmastics, no way! They did sweep the mens and they deserved it, they did a great job.

I'm still pissed at this tie breaker crap. They used to just give gold two both who tied but they stopped that like 15 years ago. It's not fair. In my mind Nastia got a gold!

RPG

tambourine-man said:
I heard some random expert on the news yesterday saying that we should heed the example set by the cycling team - that is, invest heavily in those sports and athletes that actually have a chance of winning, as opposed to supporting a broader range of athletes that have less than an outside chance of success. They were advocating the idea that, as a small country, we can't afford to compete against the US/China/Russia in the top events, so we should pour our money into the "toff sports" where there's a smaller pool of competitors and absolutely spank everybody at things we're good at.

Shame there isn't an event where wearing jumpers and being called Jeremy can earn you accolades. Oh wait... that's cricket.
Hey, I bet they got that idea from Canada, who's been doing that for years! But since hockey and curling (the only thing canucks are good at ;) ) were not on the summer olympics list, no one else got funding.

Am I the only one that has been disgusted by the International Olympic Committee's refusal to take action against the Chinese Women's Gymnastics team for having underage competitors?

GenericMind said:
Am I the only one that has been disgusted by the International Olympic Committee's refusal to take action against the Chinese Women's Gymnastics team for having underage competitors?

Chinese women's gymnastics.. in China.. hmm yes, you are the only one

NO YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE. But it will never be proven or is just to hard to prove which is why they aren't taking action. The Olympic committee did check the girls passports and were satisfied with them. But, they no for damn sure that at least 2 of those girls are not 16. Yes, Chinese girls are smaller than American girls and they always look younger but this time they look amazingly younger. One of them still has baby features and one reporter commented that one still hasn't gotten an adult tooth come in.

I was very angry at first but now I'm not because i know nothing can be done about it. This is the Chinese government we're taking about. And it wouldn't be the first time a country or athlete cheated in the Olympics.

I'm just happy that Nastia got all-around gold and Shawn got Gold on beam. Even if a country cheats the truth will come out somehow and in this case.. the American girls prevailed even though there is cheating going on. That's how good these girls are. Ok, I'll say 'Alleged' cheating.

And yea, I'm sorry i brought this up in two threads, it's just it really pissed me off at first but now i know nothing can be proved. The only way it could be proved is if someone came forward with some info. Also once the games are over the gold medals can't be taken away. The only thing one can do is file a complaint BEFORE the games are over. At least.. that's what they said on the news before. A good example is Paul Homm (sp).. in Athens. They didn't take his medal away because they said once the games are over all results are final.

Also the scoring system needs to go back to the 10.0 I don't like this new system at all. How girls who fall are getting higher scores I'll never know. It's disgraceful and those judges should be ashamed of themselves. But, yes the judges the judges did get a few things right-- The Chinese men did deserve their gold and the Romanian girl did deserve her gold on floor and they got a few other things right but they made to many mistakes over all, even the news casters were like WTF!!!!!! Anyway.. people are probably sick of me taking about this so I'll end this now.

I think 2012 will be America's turn to win team gold and i think Shawn Johnson will be the golden girl of the 2012 Olympics. She proved 2 nights ago when she got gold on beam that she is an amazing gymnast. That being said, NAstia is also a wonderful gymnast and she has it in her genes. Her father one gold for Russia 20 years ago. Nastia is more of a graceful gymnast and Shawn is more of a powerful gymnast. Their styles are completely different but both are equally wonderful gymnasts!

RPG

I'm still pissed the poms are up on the medal tally.. I can't even say at least we're beating you in total medals now!! :(

i know it's old new by now but i just watched shawn johnson take the beam gold in the last event of the gymnastics. it was a really nice bookend and she deserved her win.

alasdair

GenericMind said:
Weird. I thought the Olympics were an International Event.

I think everyone's noticed.. but what can you do? Strip them of their medals.. I'd like to see that happen

Why not? They spend millions of dollars trying to catch drug enhancement cheaters and they wouldn't hesitate for a second to strip them of their medals if caught. Here we have an obvious case of something much worse, institutionalized cheating, and they're going to let them get away with it? Fuck that noise.

Yeah well they also cheated my future wife(Shawn Johnson) out of a few gold medals.

I feel that plan is both reasonable and could only end well for all parties involved. I endorse it fully.