• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Official Tramadol Discussion Thread - Second Swallow

^^^^ where do people get this straight up misinformation? Tramadol (and its metabolites) are STRICTLY agonists at the mu receptor. And low efficacy ones at that. Not an antagonist. At All. Ever.

Yeah. I explained to someone that tramadol is not an antagonist at all, but got slammed into the ground. I don't know where they heard it.

TRAMADOL IS:

- mu-opioid receptor agonist
- serotonin releasing agent
- norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor
- NMDA receptor antagonist
- 5-HT2c receptor antagonist
- alpha-7 5 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist
- muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist

I have a question about mixing Tramadol and benzos:

It seems that, on a lot of threads, people either believe that benzos help to avoid seizures because of their anticonvulsant properties OR that they lower the seizure threshold. I looked up interactions between Tramadol and Valium on drugs.com, and it didn't warn of seizures (which it normally does when you look up almost anything with Tramadol).

So, do benzos help or do they really lower the seizure threshold? If they do help, does it matter if the benzo is long-acting or short-acting?

I just took some alprazolam at 10pm. It is not 10:22 and it's already working. Mixing nicely with the total of 250mg of tram I had throughout today. I'm not a big benzo fan at all, but like them on occasion. Tonight should be a relaxing time. I still have some energy thanks to the tramadol, which is still working. Sometimes I'm apprehensive about mixing anything with tram, but benzos seem to be completely safe. You need much lower doses. I took 1mg of alprazolam and feeling it hard. Even a bit euphoric. It doesn't last long. Effects of the alprazolam may even be gone by midnight or a little later.

happyneedles, I really don't see how any benzo could lower the seizure threshold or increase chance of seizure with tramadol. The seizure risk of tramadol is overly exaggerated these forums anyway it seems. Yes, it is a possibility, but unless you are prone to seizures, you'll likely not going to have one. And being smart about your dose intake can help you avoid seizures as well.

The only negative thing you may run into with mixing benzos with tramadol is dangerous CNS depression or respiratory distress. Even that is likely not to happen (again, if you're smart about doses). As tramadol does not cause as much respiratory depression and neither do benzos. There is a sticker on each tram script I get that reads "Taking more of this medication than recommended may cause serious breathing problems," but it's not too big of a deal even in well over recommended doses. Compared to other opioids anyway.

As far as comparing short and long-acting benzos with tram, I've seen many people recommend long-acting benzos like Klonopin and Valium since tramadol itself is pretty long acting. I like short-acting benzos like Xanax or Ativan, personally. As I don't want to feel too relaxed and zoned for too long.

Last edited:
I have a question about mixing Tramadol and benzos:

It seems that, on a lot of threads, people either believe that benzos help to avoid seizures because of their anticonvulsant properties OR that they lower the seizure threshold. I looked up interactions between Tramadol and Valium on drugs.com, and it didn't warn of seizures (which it normally does when you look up almost anything with Tramadol).

So, do benzos help or do they really lower the seizure threshold? If they do help, does it matter if the benzo is long-acting or short-acting?

higher :) (the higher seizures thereshold, the better)
Benzos really help. Long acting are prefered, as the effects of short acting ones wear off before the end of tramadol high.
pzdr

^^^^ where do people get this straight up misinformation? Tramadol (and its metabolites) are STRICTLY agonists at the mu receptor. And low efficacy ones at that. Not an antagonist. At All. Ever.

Yeah. I explained to someone that tramadol is not an antagonist at all, but got slammed into the ground. I don't know where they heard it.

TRAMADOL IS:

- mu-opioid receptor agonist
- serotonin releasing agent
- norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor
- NMDA receptor antagonist
- 5-HT2c receptor antagonist
- alpha-7 5 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist
- muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist

From the insert in the packaging of my first legitimate tramadol prescription (which admittedly is from about 5 years ago so it may not be 100% up-to-date). Perhaps the problem is that tramadol information has changed a lot in just the last 5-10 years. I have a physicians desk reference that I purchased in 2000 that also lists it as a partial agonist/antagonist, also (and this part is almost laughable) it lists it as non-habit forming and does not have a high potential for abuse.

I can't explain the pharmacology behind it but I can attest to the precipitated withdrawal. Anyone who says I did not experience it doesn't know what they are talking about. I have been a regular and very experienced opiate user for about ten years. I know when I am in withdrawal and I know when it has been precipitated.

So is O-desmethyltramadol a partial agonist or full agonist of the mu receptors?

It is a full agonist. And Ive never seen anything in print about tramadol being a mixed agonist/antagonist. And I've got a wide array of PDRs (including 2000) and nowhere is it listed as being an antagonist. I think you are mistaken? I understand if you believe it precipitated withdrawals in you but i think you are mistaken. There are virtually no reports of such things out there, Is it possible you were just feeling the withdrawal from the other opioids and the tramadol was inadequate to stave of withdrawal? Not trying to discredit you, just trying to keep the information true...

cheers

It is a full agonist. And Ive never seen anything in print about tramadol being a mixed agonist/antagonist. And I've got a wide array of PDRs (including 2000) and nowhere is it listed as being an antagonist. I think you are mistaken? I understand if you believe it precipitated withdrawals in you but i think you are mistaken. There are virtually no reports of such things out there, Is it possible you were just feeling the withdrawal from the other opioids and the tramadol was inadequate to stave of withdrawal? Not trying to discredit you, just trying to keep the information true...

cheers

:|

I just read over the insert and the PDR and perhaps I was mistaken and misread the part where it is an NMDA-antagonist or the bit that says Tramadol is an antagonist on the 5-HT2C receptor and misinterpreted it as an opioid antagonist. I was certain it was a partial agonist/antagonist however, I now stand corrected.

However, I stand by my experience of Precipitated withdrawal. I have been taking the same daily maintenance doses of Dihydrocdeine and Hydrocodone for several months after having taken it for a very long time at constantly increasing doses and eventually deciding that enough was enough and have been reducing until I was able to get to where I have been the past few months. I am not ready to lower it much more than where I am at right now as I am dealing with chronic pain from a serious injury back in February.

I have run out of medication a couple of times in the last few months due to poor planning or lack of funds; I am very familiar with how long it takes me to go into withdrawal. Prior to my DHC and Hydro use I was used tramadol daily(for a little over two years) at doses well beyond the recommended limits and and so I am very familiar with the effects of tramadol when taking it on its own(with no other drugs). I know that it takes me about 48-72 hours to reach the peak of withdrawal from DHC and Hydro

I had taken my normal morning dose of a combination of DHC and Hydro and wanting to stretch out my Hydro script I decided to skip my evening dose of DHC and Hydro and instead take and dose of tramadol that I felt would be equipotent to what I am accustomed to taking to get the level of pain relief I need. I experienced a level of withdrawal that was even more severe than the pain and discomfort I have experienced after three days with out DHC or Hydro. I was sicker and in more pain than I have felt in quite some time. I hallucinating and was freezing but yet was still sweating so much that I soaked the couch cushions I was laying on. The worst part about it was that I was unable to end it by taking my typical meds. I had to wait almost a full 24 hours before I could take medicine and get some relief from it and even then it was not the effect I should of had from the dose I took.

There is actually a lot of information on the internet and in printed text about the potential for precipitated WD from tramadol I just don't think it occurs with every individual. I found this bit using the interactions checker on drugs.com(information pertaining to discussion has been bolded):
dihydrocodeine ↔ tramadol
Applies to: dihydrocodeine and tramadol

GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking other opioids. These agents are often individually epileptogenic and may have additive effects on seizure threshold during coadministration. CNS- and respiratory-depressant effects may also be additive. In patients who have been previously dependent on or chronically using opioids, tramadol can also reinitiate physical dependence or precipitate withdrawal symptoms.

hydrocodone ↔ tramadol
Applies to: hydrocodone and tramadol

GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking other opioids. These agents are often individually epileptogenic and may have additive effects on seizure threshold during coadministration. CNS- and respiratory-depressant effects may also be additive. In patients who have been previously dependent on or chronically using opioids, tramadol can also reinitiate physical dependence or precipitate withdrawal symptoms.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

I was hooked on about 300mg of oxycodone a day for a few years. When I did finally snap the habit, Tramadol helped. Was still crazy hard, but anyway. After a few months of not taking anything I started taking the tram, it gave a good buzz when taken in high doses. Now I just order it online - Its real easy to get. I would never reccomend this to anyone , but I when I take em I take about 30 a day - I guess I have a true addicts state of mind. either WAY WAY overboard, or none at all.

I'm shocked tramadol caused withdrawal for you. That is very odd. I have heard it is a possible side-effect, though. I'm sorry you had to go through it. I bet you were pissed. I can understand why some people would believe tramadol is a agonist-antagonist at the mu, because of this rare side-effect. Tramadol's relative, ciramadol, does however act as an agonist-antagonist at the mu. Ciramadol has been tested in humans, but I believe it is not currently available anywhere in the world. I was surprised to find that tramadol has many relatives, most of them made by Grunenthal in the 1970s. One of them is even stronger than morphine, but has never been used in humans. Perhaps because it is so potent. It is called bromadol I believe? They recently made tapentadol and I read they are currently about to attempt to market faxeladol.

Moral Decay-I believe it is a matter of semantics. That insert you quoted can be interpreted in a couple of ways. If you take it literally I can see how you would reach your conclusion. But if you read it carefully if basically says that peeps with a previous dependence on opiates are at risk for tramadol bringing back dependence, including withdrawal symptoms. Precipitate is defined as "to throw headlong; hurl downward; bring on, hasten" and I read that statement as saying that tramadol will bring on physical dependence quickly in those with a history of opioid addiction. You see what I am saying? Tramadol is often used by those physically addicted to opiates to ease the pain of withdrawal, as I am sure you know. It wouldnt be used if it caused withdrawal to come faster or more severely. If you look at the chemical structure you will see it lacks any of the functional groups common in narcotic antagonists, namely the dreaded and magical allyl on the nitrogen. It just isnt a mu antagonist. I am not sure why you experienced the symptoms you did, but it definitely is idiosyncratic. Thanks for the discussion

cheers

Moral Decay-I believe it is a matter of semantics. That insert you quoted can be interpreted in a couple of ways. If you take it literally I can see how you would reach your conclusion. But if you read it carefully if basically says that peeps with a previous dependence on opiates are at risk for tramadol bringing back dependence, including withdrawal symptoms. Precipitate is defined as "to throw headlong; hurl downward; bring on, hasten" and I read that statement as saying that tramadol will bring on physical dependence quickly in those with a history of opioid addiction. You see what I am saying? Tramadol is often used by those physically addicted to opiates to ease the pain of withdrawal, as I am sure you know. It wouldnt be used if it caused withdrawal to come faster or more severely. If you look at the chemical structure you will see it lacks any of the functional groups common in narcotic antagonists, namely the dreaded and magical allyl on the nitrogen. It just isnt a mu antagonist. I am not sure why you experienced the symptoms you did, but it definitely is idiosyncratic. Thanks for the discussion

cheers

I have used it ease withdrawal in the past and it worked fantastically. But in every previous case the timing worked out so that I took my last dose of opiates in the evening and then the next morning when I woke up due to sickness; I took tramadol to make it through the day. This was the first time that I took my morning dose and for fear of a lapse in pain management due to tramadols slow onset of analgesia; took tramadol when I would normally take my lunch time dose of standard opiates.

In every other case I was already sick when I took tramadol, in this case I was not sick yet, I was just being greedy and I paid the price. You can interpret that quote anyway you like, I didn't post it to validate myself, I posted it to show you that despite your's and the personal experiences of others it *IS* possible to cause early onset withdrawal. I know what I experienced whether you believe that it is possible or not, the fact is that it occurred, I was just mistaken about the pharmacology behind it.

I stated that Tramadol was an antagonist and I was partially correct in that it is, I was just mistaken on what it actually antagonizes and when I went back and looked at what I had been reading I realized and admitted that I misinterpreted it. Despite misreading the pamphlet in a search to explain my experience it still occurred. It is irresponsible to try and skew the meaning of the warning to fit your explanation because you are mistaken; I am able to admit when I am mistaken but it's clear you are not.

My goal was to inform others of the risk that despite the majority of people taking it with no ill effects it is possible with poor timing to induce early onset withdrawal by taking tramadol too soon after your last opiate dose or while still intoxicated. Semantics aside, it caused precipitated withdrawal in me and I don't want anyone else here to experience it because it is not pleasant and it was NOT idiosyncratic. I am certain there are other people here who had this negative effect with unfortunate timing and the wrong doses of both their regular opiates an a "rescue dose" of tramadol. It is only a matter of time before someone else comes along claiming they too experienced it and I am sure they will be disputed as well.

I am not going to further discuss this with you, but I will ask that others do your own research because I was certain I understood Tramadol; I made a mistake. Just like I can be wrong others can be wrong, so use what you read here as a starting point for your own research but I would not take it as printed scientific fact. And please don't just stop at what validates your statements or what you want to hear, be thorough in your research and be safe.

slowdive said:
I'm shocked tramadol caused withdrawal for you. That is very odd. I have heard it is a possible side-effect, though. I'm sorry you had to go through it. I bet you were pissed. I can understand why some people would believe tramadol is a agonist-antagonist at the mu, because of this rare side-effect. Tramadol's relative, ciramadol, does however act as an agonist-antagonist at the mu. Ciramadol has been tested in humans, but I believe it is not currently available anywhere in the world. I was surprised to find that tramadol has many relatives, most of them made by Grunenthal in the 1970s. One of them is even stronger than morphine, but has never been used in humans. Perhaps because it is so potent. It is called bromadol I believe? They recently made tapentadol and I read they are currently about to attempt to market faxeladol.

Hey man thanks for that, I too have been reading about tramadol related drugs. I was recently looking at drugs similar to tramadol, there is a drug called levorphanol that is supposedly the strength of between oxycodone and hydrocodone. Then there is Tapentadol; it is said to have comparative analgesia along the order of oxycodone but it is already approved by the FDA and a schedule II drug in the united states. There is also Levorphanol which is supposed to be around 6 times as potent as morphine; is a pure opioid agonist. And last but not least the one you mentioned: Bromadol (BDPC) it is supposedly and this is hard to imagine 10,000 times teh strength of morphine. That is no typo, i meant to type ten thousand times the strength of morphine. Imaging the overdose potential to that drug it is active at less than 3 micrograms. that is seeming a lot more dangerous than fentanyl.

Last edited:
10,000 times the strength of morphine is insane. That is not even needed lol. Opioids this potent confuse me. There is no need for them. They just make use dangerous.

hello!

what drugs should acquire to make good use better make my tramadol experience?

what should i absolutely not consume before doing tramadol?

i have 100mg retard versions. so they last 12hrs or something.

took 500mg ad nothing happened then again i was on benzos and dhc.

what can and cant i have in me when using tramadol at 400-500mg doses?

thank You

hello!

what drugs should acquire to make good use better make my tramadol experience?

what should i absolutely not consume before doing tramadol?

i have 100mg retard versions. so they last 12hrs or something.

took 500mg ad nothing happened then again i was on benzos and dhc.

what can and cant i have in me when using tramadol at 400-500mg doses?

thank You

BUMP.

Ok, today my doc, switched my medications this bastard.

morphine ER, IR --> Tramadol 150mg ER 2 times a day .... Now tell me. Is there any way to reach a good high like morphine when using a high dose of tramadol ER ?

BUMP.

Ok, today my doc, switched my medications this bastard.

morphine ER, IR --> Tramadol 150mg ER 2 times a day .... Now tell me. Is there any way to reach a good high like morphine when using a high dose of tramadol ER ?

Tramadol feels different than morphine and other opiates/opioids.
Tramadol is way better in my opinion. Seems like you'll be taking 300mg every day. That's a pretty decent dose.

Tramadol feels different than morphine and other opiates/opioids.
Tramadol is way better in my opinion. Seems like you'll be taking 300mg every day. That's a pretty decent dose.

Just try my first time tramadol 150mg dose, but I dont feel anything as a painkiller.. tomorrow ill eat both of my dose at the same time ( 300mg )

The problem is that I only have Extended Release ... This is shit. Even morphine ER is shit. I like immediate release form, cause at least I can feel it.

Just try my first time tramadol 150mg dose, but I dont feel anything as a painkiller.. tomorrow ill eat both of my dose at the same time ( 300mg )

The problem is that I only have Extended Release ... This is shit. Even morphine ER is shit. I like immediate release form, cause at least I can feel it.

With Tramadol you actually will get a better effect from the ER than with the immediate release because tramadol is most effective when it has converted to O-desmethyltramadol which takes place in the liver. This is more effective when taken over a period of time in many increments. Because ER is a consistent increment over many hours this is really the best way to get the most out of your pills IMHO.

With Tramadol you actually will get a better effect from the ER than with the immediate release because tramadol is most effective when it has converted to O-desmethyltramadol which takes place in the liver. This is more effective when taken over a period of time in many increments. Because ER is a consistent increment over many hours this is really the best way to get the most out of your pills IMHO.

okay, thanks for your advise! I tried 300mg ER this morning. This stopped my pain as morphine so im glad that I dont have to take strong opiate and switch to tramal. But at the moment I see no recreational potential.

It just stopped my pain and increase a little my mood. But no buzz or any effect that you can feel. maybe at higher dose ?