Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NSW - July 24 & 25 - Splendour in the grass - REVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad_Sexington said:
[B

im driving up early on the friday mornin can someone give me details of the krafty kuts show on at c moogs [/B]

i don't know any details, but c'moog's phone number is ph: (02) 6680 7022 so just ring the club and ask for details. it's hella easy to find, it's right near woolworths.

well at this stage...

i am leaving melbourne 9am thursday and getting to sydney sometime in the arvo/early evening. friday i am leaving EARLY sydney and driving to byron.

(plans to go red bull and v shopping) *arg for loooong driving.......*

our camping tickets arrived yesterday and now everything is complete :)

if anyones up for dinner out in byron friday night let me know :)

People Goin:

0ff1cer_ch0ps
SkiNLaB
astrosmurf (sunday)
grunef (sat+sun)
missfunksta
Riot Grrrl (saturday)
IWoody
*starfalls69* (sat+sun)
harraser (sat+sun)
Chad_Sexington (sat+sun?)

some people havent said what days theyre goin if they are doin both or just one. i wana try to organise a lil meet up for each day if it works :) so feel free to add what days ur gonna be there.

the line up isnt up yet but i stumbeld across the event map for those thta havent seen it yet:

map_event.gif

*it should work*

Last edited:
some hire car places cost per kilometre, if you know someone that knows anything about cars get them to disconnect the odometre cable and then reattach it when you return the car.

= travel anywhere you want free ;)

im an all weekender... so put me down for both days

Im camping in the "arts gallery" camping grounds, if anyone else is staying there, let us know !!!

I think there should be a meet both days, same time same place... Maybe even 2 meets a day, an early one (for all the real punters :p) because, there wont be much happening at that time, and a later one... maybe afternoonish one

Place, i dont know, because i have studied that map above extremely hard, and it still makes no fuckin sence to me. If they give out a proper layout of the actual festival... it might help a lot.

Dinner on friday night, i reckon i could be up for that, followed by a few drinks at the great northern or something similar.

Anywayz...

----------------------------

just found this on the site, if it can give us any guide who knows...

START AND FINISH TIMES

Q: What time do the gates open each day?
A: Midday both days.

Q: What time do the last acts finish each day?
A: The Supertop (main stage) and the Mix Up Tent finish up by midnight on Saturday and 10pm Sunday. The Lounge Bar and eateries stay open later each night.

Q: What time do the headline acts play each night?
A: Around 10.30-11pm on Saturday and 8.30-9pm on Sunday.

--------------------------------------

keystroke said:
some hire car places cost per kilometre, if you know someone that knows anything about cars get them to disconnect the odometre cable and then reattach it when you return the car.

= travel anywhere you want free ;)

the hire company i went through *europecar* gives u the choice of limited kilometres or unlimited...hence cause im driving from melbourne and back i got unlimited ;) i just had to tell em where the car was gonna be travelling eg...byron and back :)

ps: dinner friday night would be a blast! im a lil unsure as to what time i will be getting to Byron from sydney cause i will get lost...but i plan on leaving sydney very very early...

and IF someone can come and pick me and harraser up from our campsite (we are camping at the festival camp site) i would definantly be there...im not gonna wana drive once i reach byron after driving from melbourne. i know astrosmurf is up for dinner to :)

ok, i know belongil fields kinda well, and that map makes not much sense to me either. but i do believe there is a shower block and also a little office hut thing near the entrance, both of which are kinda hard to miss, therefore they could be a good place for a meetup.

dinner on friday night would be rad although my plans have changed slightly (i won't be staying in byron all weekend, i gave my fri+sat accom. to a friend coming from melbs so he could stay with the crew :( ) but i could get there and picked up no drama's.
however, byron is PACKED on normal weekends so on the splendour weekend there would be no point in meeting up for drinks in one of the pubs. there would be no chance of finding a place to sit, especially for a number of people and we wouldn't be able to hold a decent conversation. also, byron pubs have a curfew for wentry and service of midnight (not sure if that changes during holiday periods but i seriously doubt it).

so my idea is for those of you who are interested in dinner, let's make that the meet-up, i'll take care of booking a reastuarant that is BYO (to keep costs down) and i'll try and look for one with mains under $15. so give me ideas of what cuisine you fancy and try and give me semi-definate numbers. otherwise could do an earlier meet-up for a counter-meal at the bowling club.
also please to be giving me a time-frame :)

p.s. cab-fare from belongil to town should be about $10, definately no more than $15:)

That meet up sounds lovely. Though i won't be able to join cos we'll be getting there pretty much when it starts. My friends and I have booked a cabin for the night 30 min south from Byron for saturday night.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of any definate speeding cameras on the freeway/highway from Sydney to Byron?

Riot Grrrl said:
My friends and I have booked a cabin for the night 30 min south from Byron for saturday night. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of any definate speeding cameras on the freeway/highway from Sydney to Byron?

i take it you're staying in ballina then...wher about's? coz that's where i be living :D

and this should help you Re: the speed camera's

fixed speed cameras

Last edited:
astro: if u make the booking just check which booze u can take in with "byo" would you? some places that are byo are only beer and wine where as some are just beer...its rare you find a place which lets you take in things like jack or vodka or something. ;)

as for food? anything thats not chinese,japanese or thai would suit me fine. im not a bit fan of those sorts. a good curry house would kick arse =D

thanx for the fixed speed cameras thing ;) will make note of that.

got this off the site before:

Only a few sleeps now until Splendour In the Grass 2004!!

With the festival just around the corner, we know you're super-keen to see this year's timetable. Well, we can now tell you that both the playing times and event map will be posted in full glorious colour on the Splendour website this MONDAY (July 19th).

You'll be able to download a PDF version that you can print off and peruse at length until the big day. The same timetable will also be published in a number of select publications next week.

woot!

ok, so who's coming to dinner on friday night? i'll work out where to go in the next couple of days. so far on the list is

me
starfalls
harasser
off1cer ch0ps

so come on guys, join us for some eating pleasure

i just found out im going to a dinner, but ...

im not sure really what the fuck is happening...

if anyone really wants to meet... properly... send me a message, and i will reply with my number... this wya just seems to hard...

*twiddles thumbs*

u can only refresh the splendour page so many times b4 it gets boring off not seeing the line up...

I leave on wednesday night, i cant wait!!!

TIME TABLE!!!

timetable.gif

lets see if this link works...

map_event.gif

i can hardly read the timetable through this page so the best bet is to download it from the acual site :)

im excited! we leave thursday morning reaaal earlly ;) =D *the wheels on the car go round and round*

iam coming for the whole weekend and will be there friday night... im relatively new to posting on bluelight so i dont know u guys very well so i dont know about dinner bt i would love to meet up maybe for an early beer just to meet some bl'ers

i cant wait for splendour.....w00t

w00t

i still cant find the timetable. but starfalls sent it to me (MUCH THANKS)

well, now im am really excited... like big kev excited (speaking of which... where is big kev???)

The only clash i really have is...

Jurassic 5 and Sonic Animation, i get this feeling that sonic animation will win...

On the saturday after it has finished, im planning on painting the town red, so if anyone is really up for kicking on after the music has finished let me know!!!

So, anyone got any ideas for a good meeting place, that one near the enterance sounded good... but times...

not a problem officer chops :)

*goes thorugh list with highlighter...*

well so far i dont have any clashes...but you wont get me away from:

day one:

franz ferdinand
spiderbiat
the dissociatives
1200 techniques
pj harvey

day two:

dashboard confessoinal
grinspoon
sonic animation

:D

i say if you wana do a meet there, pick an act which no one will goin to see.

whats with James De La Cruz gettin a 2hr set? is he good or something?

there will be other lil things i wana see (im a wonderer sometimes...)

...officailly excited :)

oh apparently astrosmurfs brother(?) is playing there (Cut Copy in the Splendid Lounge Bar at 8pm Sunday) to so i rekon we should go see them play to (if they fit in to my schedule) ;)

0ff1cer_ch0ps's Splendour In the Grass

Saturday:
3:25 - 4:15 - Xavier Rudd
4:30 - 5:20 - Franz Ferdinand
5:35 - 6:25 - Spiderbait
6:40 - 7:30 - Electric Six
7:30 - 8:30 - Dizzee Rascal
8:30 - 9:15 - Katalyst DJ
9:15 - 10:15 - 1200 Techniques
10:15 - 11:00 - Katalyst DJ
11:00 - 12:00 - Ozomatli

Sunday :
4:00 - 4:50 - Ash
5:10 - 6:00 - Pete Murray
7:30 - 8:30 - Grinspoon
8:30 - 9:30 - Sonic Animation

Any other times, i will be just wondering around, i dont even know why i say im going to see these acts, everytime i plan something to a timetable (big day out, homebake) it never goes to plan... but o well

When im wondering around, i dare say i will end up in the phunken tipi circle or the splendid lounge bar.

*packs dancing shoes for Ozomatli*

also reminds ppl, if you got nothing to do when these guys are on... and havent heard of em, make sure u come down and see em, i saw them at falls 02/03, one of the best live acts i have ever seen.

Im not sure how many of us have actually read the lil nitty gritty side of the Splendour site... so i have pasted some info that i think we all should know :)

BINYABUTT – ENVIRONMENTAL SOLUTIONS AT SPLENDOUR

OK Splendour smokers, listen up!

Over 32 billion cigarette butts are discarded in Australia each year. Most of these flow from the streets and gutters where they have been inappropriately disposed of, and into our waterways. This careless habit of tossing-out cigarette butts causes several problems for the environment. Aside from the obvious litter, pollution and fire risks, it also presents serious threats to marine life. Aquatic creatures mistake cigarette butts for food and can die from the toxins contained in the tobacco.

To counter the habit of "butting-out" at Splendour In The Grass, organisers have called on a solution developed by the Byron Environment Centre - the Binyabutt program. The "Binyabutt" is a free pocket ashtray made from recycled film canisters. The Binyabutt can store a smoker’s cigarette butts until a rubbish bin is available where it can be emptied and then re-used time and time again. These Binyabutts will be available at Splendour In The Grass from bars, food outlets and sponsor stalls.

If you’re a smoker – please be responsible and respect the environment at Splendour In The Grass by butting out using the ‘Binyabutt’ canisters on site.

A MESSAGE FROM THE ORGANISORS….
Smoking is harmful to your health. Splendour in no way endorses cigarette smoking. We have undertaken this solution to help us to protect and care for our environment.

SPLENDOUR ETIQUETTE, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS DO’S & DON’T’S!

Here are some important tips to help you enjoy
your day. Thanks for taking the time to read this
information.

•Gates open at midday each day. Passouts
available from 2pm.
•No coat check will be available so please only
bring essential items you are happy to carry with
you all day.
•Be prepared to be searched upon entry
(including bags). Unfortunately we need to do this
and your cooperation is appreciated.

•PROHIBITED ITEMS - The following items will not
be allowed at Splendour:
Glass, cans, skateboards, boogie boards,
milk/bread crates, chairs (inc. folding, portable,
camping), anything studded, weapons of any kind,
fireworks, alcohol, illicit drugs, video & tape
recording devices, professional still cameras (small
still cameras ARE allowed), laser lights, umbrellas,
water pistols, any other items considered illegal or
dangerous, animals.
•Please remember to drink lots of water
throughout the day. Sealed plastic (no glass)
bottles of water are allowed to be brought onto
the site. You can get refills from our water tank
(see map).
•If you are over 18 and wish to drink alcohol
or smoke cigarettes you will need current & valid
photo ID, i.e. driver’s licence or Proof of Age
card.
•Stage diving, crowd surfing & moshing are
absolutely prohibited and will not be tolerated.
Any patron caught practising this behaviour risks
eviction from the site plus a possible fine.
•St Johns Ambulance will be on site for the
duration of the event - if you require assistance
refer to the map for locations.
•To report LOST AND FOUND articles, please
either go to Artists’ Services (near festival
entrance) or the Site Office (near campground
kiosk). Found items can also be handed to security
personnel at the festival entrance.
•DON’T BE A TOSSER! Please don’t rubbish the
Bay. On site, put rubbish and recyclables in the
relevant bins. Smokers please use the little
‘Binyabutt’ canisters that you’ll find at the festival.
•At the end of the day, travel safely. Use the
shuttle bus service to Byron town or back to the
carpark or stay on footpaths if walking. Please
respect our neighbours and hopefully we'll be
allowed to come back.

We thank you for your support and hope you have
the time of your life at Splendour 2004. Oh...one
last thing…KICK OUT THE JAMS!

SHUTTLE SERVICES - BYRON BAY TOWN

Transit Centre (Jonson St)
to Belongil Fields and back
8am to 1am (Saturday)
8am to 12midnight Sunday)
DAY PARKING
Meleleuca Drive
to Belongil Fields & back
10am to 1am (Saturday)
10am to 12midnight (Sunday)
PARKING & CAMPING

anything studded

....there goes my whole wardrobe ;)

let's meet yo' ass

ok, so it's time to start some organising. i believe everyone has bailed on the friday night dinner, so for those that'll be in town, PM other people you want to meet up with for mobile numbers.

i'll leave it in starfalls capable hands to organise something re: saturday, but as far as sunday goes, i say:

Time: 3pm
Location: ATM near the splendid lounge bar (to the right of the entry)

ok, so the location might sound a bit weird, but i figure most people will know where this is and that way we can sojourn to the bar for a few drinks.

speak now if this time does not suit, or forever hold thy peace

Status
Not open for further replies.