• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

nasal spray possibility?

what? Local histamine release from plugging? Nasty!

Is local histamine release the reason you have the problems with fluids in the lungs too?

Alephnul said:
hopefully leaving me with 100 mg pure MPH powder

Thats a little optimistic...

Also, it is not difficult to find better quality nasal spray bottles, ones that are truly accurately metered (i.e those used for prescription drug nasal sprays). These are usually in the neighborhood of 100uL/.1ml per spray, so the concentration certainly has to exceed 10mg/ml. I think the goal would be to take as few sprays as possible for the desired effect, to ensure absorption and limit wastage...

I suppose you could try to buffer it and get the pH right (maybe very slightly acidic?), but its probably unnecessary...

negrogesic said:
Thats a little optimistic...

Also, it is not difficult to find better quality nasal spray bottles, ones that are truly accurately metered (i.e those used for prescription drug nasal sprays). These are usually in the neighborhood of 100uL/.1ml per spray, so the concentration certainly has to exceed 10mg/ml. I think the goal would be to take as few sprays as possible for the desired effect, to ensure absorption and limit wastage...

I suppose you could try to buffer it and get the pH right (maybe very slightly acidic?), but its probably unnecessary...

You are quite right that in practice a 100% extraction is unlikely, I wa trying, in the post, to answer the questions people were asking about how does one work out the concentration, what dose does a spray deliver etc. I tried to illustrate a theoretical approach, hence the ignore figures, these are for illustrative pusposes but then slipped into my practical application where you ae right 100mg MPH from 100 x 10mg tabs would in fact give me 1000mg (with hopefully <-10 % ), something I should have mentioned but guessed you guys would have factored in. That's why I'm asking for input on extraction, should I use simple filtering, H/CWE etc - but I guess I can search for those answers. You're right about the concentration also, half way through my post my 10mg/0.1ml turned in to 10mg/ml. The former, more accurately written as 100mg/ml is the concentration I'm looking for....so each 0.1ml 'squirt' should dose 10mg MPH. My plan was to use saline and I'm not aware of any degradation issues. Playing around with the PH should be an issue, for eg, Stadol " Each bottle of STADOL NS contains 2.5 mL of a 10 mg/mL solution of butorphanol tartrate with sodium chloride, citric acid, and benzethonium chloride in purified water with sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid added to adjust the pH to 5.0"
So in sum, thanks for pointing out my muddled maths [my plan was to run the whole thing by a microbiologist postgrad friend who has a better handle on such things than, I, as a lowly Humanities student ever could have :) ]
Any other suggestions most welcome. I will post my findings in a couple of weeks to this thread.
AN

Last edited: