• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mushrooms Subthread] First time Shrooming

How many grams of dry P. Cubensis mushrooms would you recommend for a first time?

• Up to 1 gram

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Over 1 gram and up to 1.5 grams

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Over 1.5 grams and up to 2.5 grams

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Over 2.5 grams and up to 3.5 grams

• Over 3.5 grams

• Total voters
That sounds like a great place actually. Just remember to bring food, water, music and anything else you think you'll need. I'd avoid carrying any drugs or paraphernalia if you plan to walk around populated areas though as the paranoia would be unpleasant during your trip. If you're going to smoke, pre-rolled joints are the way to go :)

Yeah, prerolled stuff is a good to have, rolling a decent joint/cig can be near impossible while tripping, but it can be a lot of fun to try anyway and smoke the horrible looking things that result.

I'm thinking of shrooming in the forest with my friend who has never done it before. I've eaten shrooms four times, but they've only produced any results (other than me feeling queasy) twice.
Something I've connected with drugs is warmth. It's really nice to be warmed by the sun while on mushrooms or other drugs.

Unfortunately, I live in a place that will very soon be covered in snow. I want to provide an outdoor mushroom experience for my friend for her first time, but I'm concerned that it will be too cold outside or that all the snow in the forest will turn her (or my) trip into something unexpected.

Has anyone done shrooms in the snow? What is it like being on shrooms when it is cold out? I've only successfully gotten high in the summer.

Has anyone done shrooms in the snow?
The only story that jumps out in my mind when reading this is about two friends headed to a party (or something) after eating shrooms. The trip hit them faster and harder then either had anticipated so they parked the car to ride it out for a bit. Long story short, the person telling the story blacked out and when he came to his friend had wandered from the car and passed away from hypothermia by laying in a snow drift. Could be fake but it's highly plausible in my mind.
Aight, did some searching:
Shroomin' in the snow!!!

Fatal Mushroom Trip - 7 Grams - First and Last Attempt

Last edited:
I actually just tripped in the cold, we had a fire going in my back yard so It was easy to meditate on pursuits of comfort(usually so fleeting) and how they relate with the subconscious and it's symbols like warmth and the womb because I was freezing when not around the fire, then around the fire the heat was ecstasy of imagination and truth.

ive tripped in the snow. generally mushrooms are a magical earthy and a little bit spiritual for me (ok, very spiritual at the proper doses), and these traits were present in the snow as well. it was a very nice trip, just dress appropriately (warm and comfy) and dont stray too far away.
i dont really know what one would expect to be different in snow...
it is just another setting, the snow shone beautifully under the full moon, the sparkles in the ice crystals were wonderful to look at, and there was a sense of calm and serenity in the stillness of the cold night. walking around christmas lights was bringing back a lot of memories of past holidays with my family and there was a general sense of gratefullness. a beautiful trip that still lives in my memory (in detail im surprized to see),,,

best of luck and stay safe

I ate a little more than an eigth one night with a friend and became extremely cold at one point. At the peak we were stuck outdoors so we sat in a car, I remember being soo cold it was unbearable. Maybe if I would have been able to get my jacket on properly I would have warmed up a bit more8(. My advice for tripping in the cold and especially the snow is to have plenty of gear to stay warm.

I ate a little more than an eigth one night with a friend and became extremely cold at one point. At the peak we were stuck outdoors so we sat in a car, I remember being soo cold it was unbearable. Maybe if I would have been able to get my jacket on properly I would have warmed up a bit more8(. My advice for tripping in the cold and especially the snow is to have plenty of gear to stay warm.

Maybe a futile question, but why couldnt get yer' jacket on properly ?

A buddy & myself took an oz, of shrooms to the Upper Peninsulla Mich. when we were 24 We took time to collect a nights worth of firewood start the fire, then we built an igloo... we were prepared It was a blast, hell building the igloo was a blast !! But iv'e been an idiot before too...took a quaalude on top of a mountain while hiking in Chatinooga - It got dark fast & both of our flashlights died, not good It was October & we slept on a rock, (er' sorta slept, 15 minutes at a time)...YES be prepared.

Last edited:
I have experienced (or at least perceived) very persistent coldness my last couple of times doing mushrooms, despite being seriously rugged up, indoors, with the heating cranking. I 'suspect' it has something to do with the deep calm I reached on both trips and a possible slowed-down metabolism as a result. But it was definitely there both times, and more than a little annoying. The very last time, I rugged myself up literally in bed for a full 45 minutes to warm up, and when I finally reached the level of warmth I desired, all was Love.

Being next to a raging camp fire for the duration of the experience sounds amazing.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I can definitely imagine fire being the best thing ever on mushrooms. Here's what I've taken from your advice, for doing them in the snow:

-bundle up bigtime
-have some sort of access to heat nearby
-go somewhere you've been before
-don't eat too many (obviously)

Know what species your eating

Just remember the most important rule... a NW Cyanescen can be almost 10 times as potent as a Florida Cubensis
25 years ago when I was harvesting & (BONE DRY)ing Cubensis in Florida I could eat up to a half oz. at a time trippin my balls off, but all & all, the same meeting up w/ a buddy once in a while that collected cyanascans & semilanceata - exclusivley, he would throw me 5-6 grams & I would be on the same plain or even higher Know what your eating ! Even if you are experienced !!
The good old days ! In the early 80's we would wait for a full moon & hit the pastures w/ our hemp sacks, fill em' in one night then find a motel w/ screens on the windows.
rent the room (in back) for a couple days, take the screens off the windows - set em on top of the (floor mounted air conditioner) turn it on high & cover the screens w/ fresh Cubensis
take a large box fan, hang it in the bathroom, get out our fishing line & large hooks & string up all the other ones & turn the fan on high -2 days later we would have around 2 lb's of dried shrooms Yeah man those were the days you could get away w/ doin shit like that everyday !

Last edited:
Ok I'll try this again! I have 3 grams of apparently super heady cerebral shrooms (a very experienced friend tripped balls on 1.5 grams). I have never taken a tryptamine before and want to have a good time but not an overly intense time. My friends suggested that I take a g. Think that would be safe? I don't really want to get my ass kicked just yet, there's plenty of time for that! ;)

Thanks in Advance,
DMTK

A gram would be a great starting dose. A lot of people find doses like that underwhelming, but my view is - always start small, especially since with mushrooms the alkaloid content can vary quite a bit - 3g from one batch can be weak, and 1g from another can be strong!

Get some nice music, some water, and a nice relaxed environment, eat the gram, and you should be good to go :D <3

Yeah I definitely don't want to be underwhelmed. This is apparently what you would call a "strong batch" so I"m a little bit timid although I'm confident that I can handle it. Also, do you recommend that I go the route of seeking out a trip sitter? Even though I"m new to psychedelics, I am in no way new to drugs and can generally look after myself just fine.

It really depends. If you have someone you trust extremely well that would be happy to spend the time trip sitting you, who already has at least one shroom experience under their belt (aka so they know what they should or shouldn't do around you to make your trip the best it can possibly be) then go for it. It really depends on your situation though. I've never had a trip sitter myself, unless having someone keep their phone on in case I needed to speak to them during a difficult moment counts. I find that when I'm in the safety of my own home I feel comfortable tripping alone - and actually in some cases it would be more difficult if someone was there. YMMV though.

Alright thanks! I have a really good friend (an experienced tripper) who I generally do these kinds of things with (at least at first) who I'll split it with. I'm going home over break so that will be perfect.

Tips for my first "Tryp" Trip?

After a lot of research, I have decided that I am going to take a tryptamine. I have both acid and mushrooms available to me and am planning to start with a very small dose (probably between .5 and .75 of a gram) of VERY potent dried cubes. If I want to, I will have up to 1.5 g available as I'll be splitting 3 grams with a friend. Does this sound like a good introduction? I will be back in my town with one of my best friends over winter break. That being said, I am super excited and some of that excitement is manifesting itself as nervousness. My setting will be my house (most likely unless you guys advise against tripping with your parents asleep upstairs, I would have an opportunity to leave if I needed to) and my set is a generally pretty good one (social anxiety, slight depression once in a while but my head is in the right place).

If you're asking "Should I take this or not?", or "Which should I take?" we can't answer that ;) However, if you're asking if the dose is good for a first timer? That dose sounds a little low but you do claim they're very potent - if you know that people are having strong experiences from very low doses then that's a good way to start. Normally I'd advise to start around the 1g-1.5g range for a light controllable mushroom trip with cubes though.

Tripping with your parents asleep is generally a bad idea - you have social anxiety, so you know how bad anxiousness, panic attacks etc can be right? Well imagine that x10 and that's generally how scary it can be thinking you're about to get caught tripping. My advice would be to wait for a day when your parents aren't home - do you have no opportunities like that any time soon?

You can get away with tripping with parents home, and lots of people trip around sober people and can hold their own, but with mushrooms and tryptamines in general this tends to be quite hard, and at the very least you'll probably assume they can tell you're tripping, even if they can't.

A thread that might help you is The Big and Dandy Methods of Trip Preparation Thread.

Merged :)

I have plenty of opportunities to do that, just not in my house :) I think I may decide to avoid it. And this isn't a "what should I take." I know what I"m takin'.

If you have a friend whose parents are away and won't return during the trip - that'd be perfect. You could trip outdoors somewhere but honestly, although I think it's a bad idea, I'd recommend tripping at home with your parents asleep over that since paranoia can be even worse outside and there are some real dangers if you're unprepared and trip outside.