• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids methadone withdrawal does dilaudid work?

ryanwileyusa

Bluelighter
hey I'm on 110mg methadone wanting to switch to suboxone. i found a dr that is putting me on a short acting opiate for a month to get all the methadone out of my body before i switch to suboxone.
my question is will 8mg dilaudid 6 times a day be enough to keep the methadone withdrawal at bay??????
anyone with experience that can help me? thx!

Everyone is different in how quickly they metabolize drugs...but I would guess you will be fine. Dilaudid is short acting, but 6 dilly 8's a day is a lot. I was on 70 mg methadone for years, and when I wanted to skip a day and do drugs instead, 3 8's would hold me fine...30 mg of hydromorph contin would get me high.

That's plenty bro... I'm really surprised the Doc gave u that much. Those things are awesome if you shoot'em by the way. However, they suck if u just take them orally, but they will hold u off.

Everyone is different in how quickly they metabolize drugs...but I would guess you will be fine. Dilaudid is short acting, but 6 dilly 8's a day is a lot. I was on 70 mg methadone for years, and when I wanted to skip a day and do drugs instead, 3 8's would hold me fine...30 mg of hydromorph contin would get me high.
Thanks ... 3 8's would hold u? Did u shoot them? Take them all at once or do one at a time? Also you would skip a day? So the next day u didn't take methadone but took dilaudid and they worked ? Cuz I thought it takes a while day before methadone even leaves yor system

Siq u think that's a lot? Idk much about DI'llys . I've done every opiate except dilaudid. . Not sure what to expect or potency . I was ins opana 20 2 at a time before going on methadone . Now at 110mg methadone . I'm nervous about the switch cuz I never did dilaudid and I have to go to work everydY . I don't want to be tracked up so I will prob ins and shoot some . Wondering if I wull feel anything f the first day I musx methadone .

@ ryanwiley:

Yes I shot them. As someone else mentioned, dilaudid feels best IV'd...not recommending that ROA to anyone who does not do it already, bc of course IV drug use is dangerous, but it is what it is. I would usually do two at once, then maybe one later; sometimes three at once.
I know methadone has a long half life, but I found I could feel other opiates the day AFTER dosing, if I skipped my dose for that day. To be honest, if was one of the reasons I stayed at 70 mg and did not go higher; I wanted the option to use occasionally without a total blocking effect.

Yes dilaudid is very strong, if you shoot it, its the STRONGEST. Its also one of the shortest acting opiates, so you have to keep re-dosing. You should have no problems switching from methadone. Just wait the proper amount of time, probably 72hrs or somewhere around there...then it will keep getting stronger day by day once the done falls off ur receptors.

@siq
1. U think I should wait 72 hours before using dilaudid?
2. I will have 11 8mg dilaudid a per day until I go back to dr. How often will I have to redose? If I wake up and shoot 2 or snort 2 how often will I have to redose? Every 4 hours? Or less or more??
What would keep me out of withdrawal. I can shoot them but I don't want to carry rigs to work. So I'll snort and shoot probably. In your experience how often will I need to redose?

I will skip methadone and go straight to work. Mentally I will feel off cuz I miss my dose so I will probably use dilaudid first day off methadone

It could work temporarily as methadone stays in your system for at least 4-5 days and you may start withdrawing from both meds..

Me too, but on 70 mg, for a day or 2!

Do u think I will feel the dilaudid on the first day I skip methadone?

If you take 110 mg methadone, I suppose it could work if you IV. Is it safe tough?

Yes dilaudid is very strong, if you shoot it, its the STRONGEST. Its also one of the shortest acting opiates, so you have to keep re-dosing. You should have no problems switching from methadone. Just wait the proper amount of time, probably 72hrs or somewhere around there...then it will keep getting stronger day by day once the done falls off ur receptors.

Exactly, it's short acting, therefore, you may need part of your methadone dosage...

I will skip methadone and go straight to work. Mentally I will feel off cuz I miss my dose so I will probably use dilaudid first day off methadone

Suggest you take it with you just in case.

The whole point of dilaudid is to take a short acting opiate while the methadone is leaving my system so I can take suboxone . I will take dilaudid for a month with NO methadone and then switch to suboxone. My question is when I stop the methadone will dilaudid only keep withdrawal at bay

You will be fine. 48 mg's of dilaudid in a day is seriously a lot. If you don't need them all don't take them all, you want your tolerance to drop substantially over this month if possible. May I ask how you are planning to do the dilaudid? Orally or IV? If you're still nervous check out a narcotic equivalency converter...

The question is will u be ready for the switch from dilaudid to suboxone? I'm certain There will still be a rough transition period. Suboxone provides nowhere near the same euphoria and buzz that those two do. But if you stick it out it's worth it. I love sub life

Ya the converter says 110 my methadone a day equals 246mg hydromorphone day! That's why I'm asking if I have enough cuz according to this converter I dont. I'm planning on snorting some during day and I'v at night . Do u have any recommendations?

I found this converter: http://www.medcalc.com/narcotics.html

Again I am not sure how you are going to be ingesting the dilaudid/hydromorphone, but IF you are IV'ing, 110 mg of methadone is approx equal to 7.2 mg dilaudid. Dillies are short acting, but not like fentanyl or anything...you will be fine for 4-6 hours at a time.

@inthetrip... Ya I saw the converter the thanks. That's 1 8mg u
I'v every 4 hours. Do u think snorting them will be as good?? Where can I shoot it that it's not noticeable?