• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Meth/Amphetamines: Serious Discussion Only - V.2: MERGED with amps quitting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jspun - that 'censorship' we hav on this board is for a reason
if certain posts (in this thread PT mostly chose to remove them herself btw) cause others to b 'triggered' then we mods remove them (or the ppl themselves remove them if they feel bad about it - kudos to PT for doing so) however this '8)' stuff, no offense, but is a little disrespectful towards ppl who r trying to protect ppl like u from being triggered etc
as u dont know wat PT said earlier, who r u to judge the ppl who were angered and hurt by her earlier posts? (which i again say she did the right thing in removing)
finally......that topic was finished with on the last page and not sposed to b brought up again

i think wat u need to do is...if u cant stop thinking about meth, despite going to meetings as much as poss and having a daughter (u need to do this for her too remember!), and leading wat sounds like a full-on life with plenty to do, why dont u try going to an alcohol/drug counsellor?
ud b surprised - mine helped me come up with so many diffrent ideas to keep me clean from P
u never know wat will work till u try it
the other thing is....u say ur on ur 4th step
i got up to step 4 wen i was going to NA and it was a fucking tough one that sparked off all kinds of crazy thoughts/emotions/feelings....and, yes, cravings, in me
however wen i got past step 4 it was like a sigh of relief....esp doing step 5 and actually getting step 4 off my chest!
so think about it in this way too.....if u keep ur eyes focussed on this particularly hard goal, wen uve reached it, the cravings will most likely pass

footscrazy - u r sooo right about the pipe hun! (btw, if u can get by with no meds to help u stay clean, go for gold, but if u feel like using, my advice is go to a diffrent psych and explain how depressed u r and ur cravings for meth)

that is my problem (paraphernalia)....i cant get rid of 'bruce' (named after Bruce Dickinson - for u non-iron maiden geeks, thats their lead singer)
of course Bruce Dickinson wud not approve of the fact that i am definitely not a 'Weekend Warrior' (song about someone who uses only in the weekends, only in the actual song he's singing about how they 'aint that way anymore'......i think the songs referring to alcohol but all the same....)
but anyway, to steer off the subject of my geeky power metal obsession, 'bruce' is my rather diminutive (sadly i think of him as 'cute' and scarily i hav even appointed him a gender.....P problem?....nooooo.....8() P pipe
i threw out 'bulby', the 'MacGyver-style' (ie. 'lightbulb with bottom removed') pipe.....while 'he' (yes, again, appointed gender) was full of shards - hell i even gave up 'burnadette', who like 'bruce' was ur standard P pipe, only with a much longer stem (but she was not full of shards at the time so 'bulby' was more of an accomplishment, esp as he was my first pipe)
damn those pipes! damn 'bruce' - hes the whole reason i go, like, anywhere between a couple of days to a couple of weeks before something gets me down and i give in
i cant get rid of my IV equipment either
i havnt injected (well not P - i had a stint with morphine while i was still stabilising once again on a higher dose of methadone yesterday :eek:) methamphetamine for months but i still keep the equipment 'just in case'
my problem is neither getting worse nor getting better

i wud go back to NA but wats the point wen all my old 'friends' there look at me like theyre going to catch a heroin/methamphetamine relapse then im not even allowed to speak at the meetings cos apparently ur not 'clean' wen ur on methadone or valium (neither of which i can just go CT on - ffs i was on benzos for epilepsy....and ive brought the dosage down considerably anyway.....and im not going to even try and get off methadone until ive bn off heroin long enough, and im finished coming painfully off valium)
some of them even consider me 'not clean' for being on antipsychotics/antidepressants
tbh i dont want to go back if ppl can b so snobbish anyway.....it was always a bit 'cliquey' and i was never one of the 'cliques'
and yes, i do want to b free to hav the odd glass of wine without getting drunk.....or the odd puff of weed to relax me wen im at parties etc (its hardly like im toking away madly all the time on my own and i despise getting drunk these days)
thats just kind of sad cos i think we need a sort-of 'in-between' version of NA over here, like perhaps 'PA' ('P' Anonymous ;)), where it really doesnt matter if u use other fairly harmless drugs occasionally.....the focus is staying off P, our countrys biggest problem as far as drugs go!

on the other hand i hav a new philosophy some of u others might agree with - is it such a gd idea keeping track of how long were clean, proud as it makes us feel? cos then if we fail (and lets face it that can often happen numerous times before we get it, esp with meth/amphetamines....look at me, 10 yrs and im still battling....doesnt mean i dont truly believe that oneday, somehow ill find something that works for me and ill get off it) we feel guilt/shame/etc etc etc and r more likely to keep going - ie. turn it from a simple slip to a full-blown relapse
i find it does me more harm than gd wen i count down fanatically how many days clean i am nowdays and im actually just accepting 'oh i used P.....maybe a couple of weeks ago.....dont remember the date, still clean from it, gd on me' but not getting too hung up about it if i slip again
cos shit happens

but to those who dont take on this philosophy i fully respect that too and if u r big on clean time and hav achieved....well any then give urselves a pat on the back!

sorry i havnt stopped in for awhile - i actually find it triggering sometimes talking about it
other times i find it cathartic - and i feel i need to b here for u guys first and foremost <3

Last edited:
Yea, Drug Wench I owe you an apology. With the jonesing my mind had been running full out and having worked a 4th steps you probably know the symptoms of untreated addiction is anger, resentment, and discontent (I'm still under the resentment section in the 4th step column 4- finding my place in things. I'm better today. I gathered PT had taken out alot of the posts from what was said. I got angered because it seemed people were ganging up on someone who needed compasion. I was impressed by her way of handling the attacks, she did so with great tact and politenesswhich was my main point to give her a well deserved encouragemeny. But I don't know the whole deal and we don't trigger the jones. I'm pissed at the elitism and with respects to meds there is a pamplet called in times of illness, I'll post later just don't have time now. Sorry about the sarcasm you guys are doing a great job it allowed me to vent- Wish I could have seen the threads though. Anyway I'll post in the next through hours. Anyway we have good swell (waves) now that are being caused by storms off your nations coast and this is helping my cravings immensely (acutely more than meetings) so if your getting rained on so I can maintain alittle serenetity the leas I can do is show soime respect;)<3<3<3 I'll

Lest- I'm sorry you feel down about your situation.....BUT it does say something about your character that you are able to take responsibility for the actions of your past and work hard to create a better life for yourself- even when that requires you to do things that you may not like (living with the parents for a time to save up for your own place). I respect that alot.
I hope that things improve quickly for you and you continue to remain sober! :)
Way to go you! \

Foots- How are you doing??

thanks ocean,
i appreciate the encouragement. i went out with my friends last night instead of sitting at home and it felt good. i enjoyed the late late night breakfast fun, and i'm trying to focus on now instead of the past and the future. meth just messed me up so bad and i freak out sometimes when i spend to much time alone in the quiet. its like the psychosis comes back when you are silent to long, but i think that is just in my head, i am okay now.
just a quick question for anyone out there. has anyone used concerta after meth? i'm worried that i'm drug seeking (NA thoughts i guess), but my doctor recomended it to me because it is extended release and is hard to abuse. and i'm not abusing it, in that i'm only taking the recommended dosage. i just wonder if why i lept to meth in the beginning was ADD.
it seems to be helping at work, and at focusing on paperwork and at work meetings.

Last edited:
Cravings more manageable today- not feeling as out of my mind today. Sorry again for my 8) 's. I'll keep the sedition to a minimum. I hope PT that you're finding your thrills on somewhere besides crankberry hills.:)

just a quick question for anyone out there. has anyone used concerta after meth? i'm worried that i'm drug seeking (NA thoughts i guess), but my doctor recomended it to me because it is extended release and is hard to abuse. and i'm not abusing it, in that i'm only taking the recommended dosage. i just wonder if why i lept to met in the beginning was ADD.
it seems to be helping at work, and at focusing on paperwork and at work meetings.

I don't have direct experience with this drug unfortuanately but your approach is kosher by NA standards, lestahb. My brain is telling me to try dexedrine or adderall for the same type of indication but to avoid NA guidelines ostensibly to not prejudice the practicioner with my drug abuse history.

Ocean, sounds like your doing the responsible thing, it will probably pay off eventually if you stay clean.

Thanks DW about the drug counselor suggestion I'll take it under consideration, I think I should atleast start seeing a psychiatrist. Got phone number of one fromm my friend in the program that has a reputation for treating addicts progressively%);) (not drug hysterically:!). I think I need to get a better foundation so I am able to practice more honesty and sanity.

who r u to judge the ppl who were angered and hurt by her earlier posts?

A complete idiot...contempt prior to investigation on my part. 8) (Rolling eyes at myself this time). On the other hand, based on what I saw, and was able to infer from existing posts I think PT acted with integrity in cleaning up her side of the street. I think its safe to say that this is probably the the consensus opinion among people on this board.

that is my problem (paraphernalia)....

DW, like you said relapse is a process. I was at a Heroin Anonymous mtg today and this dude found his tweek pipe which had a "puddle" in the bowel. He's newer than me and he smashed the pipe because he thought through were it was going to lead, instead of going on a buying expedition like me-point is attitude and spiritual fitness make all the difference.

cant get rid of 'bruce' (named after Bruce Dickinson - for u non-iron maiden geeks, thats their lead singer)

Did you atleast get rid of 'Paul' (Di' Anno)? Actually early maiden is great tweak music, not talkin about the tempo but the esotheric vibe on songs like Killers goes with it for me (and albums up to "Piece of Mind." Did you ever call one of the lightbulb pipes "Cross Eyed Mary.";)

Now In all seriousness I like the idea of the P anonymous, hopefully you can put something together, because i would like to see more flexibility in options available for people that are addicted to meth.

Got a couple more things to say but wife just came out and yelled at me- late. Got to watch daughter tommorow.

Last edited:
on the other hand i hav a new philosophy some of u others might agree with - is it such a gd idea keeping track of how long were clean, proud as it makes us feel? cos then if we fail (and lets face it that can often happen numerous times before we get it, esp with meth/amphetamines....look at me, 10 yrs and im still battling....doesnt mean i dont truly believe that oneday, somehow ill find something that works for me and ill get off it) we feel guilt/shame/etc etc etc and r more likely to keep going - ie. turn it from a simple slip to a full-blown relapse
i find it does me more harm than gd wen i count down fanatically how many days clean i am nowdays and im actually just accepting 'oh i used P.....maybe a couple of weeks ago.....dont remember the date, still clean from it, gd on me' but not getting too hung up about it if i slip again
cos shit happens

I've struggled with similar issues. If times going to turn into a stumbling block its time to stop counting and concentrate on not using today. Self esteem should be derived from how we can be of service to others.

i wud go back to NA but wats the point wen all my old 'friends' there look at me like theyre going to catch a heroin/methamphetamine relapse then im not even allowed to speak at the meetings cos apparently ur not 'clean' wen ur on methadone or valium (neither of which i can just go CT on - ffs i was on benzos for epilepsy....and ive brought the dosage down considerably anyway.....and im not going to even try and get off methadone until ive bn off heroin long enough, and im finished coming painfully off valium)
some of them even consider me 'not clean' for being on antipsychotics/antidepressants

No one has the right to tell you your not clean for being on a prescription medication. I'm sure whats true for the USA is true for NZ in that even if you have legitimately gotten high, everything is a suggestion, they can't prevent you from speaking. Besides its a violation of traditions 1, some aspects of 2, 3, 5, and, some aspects of 8, and 10. Also violates both concepts 9 & 10 of NA service. "In times of illness" says its ok to use prescription meds and clean time remains unimpaired. Also, I was on MMT up to 135mg at highest dose plus Xanax and klonopin. I remember some idiot trying to talk me into jumping off at 115 when I was tapering the dose. His rational was "your going to have to go through hell anyway, why put it off by doing this tapering bullshit, your just fooling yourself, blah, blah, blah. I tapered eventually and didn't go through hell. The point is he was dispensing advice from his font of wisdom and not only had this guy never been on methadone, he was a recovering tweeker. So bottom line is to your own self be true. Please don't let taking scripts, 1 that you need to prevent seizures keep you from mtgs.

tbh i dont want to go back if ppl can b so snobbish anyway.....it was always a bit 'cliquey' and i was never one of the 'cliques'

Big point of contention for me. Alot of big hip young peoples mtgs especially in AA and to a lesser extent CA in San Diego. NA I like because the youth there are less thinking their all that. One thing that makes me glad I kept my time is that I want to work towards trying to make as many as possible feel included. DW- what is the AA/NA scene like were your from. How is it cliquey? What are the people like- alot of young people?

Good Luck- If you decide program it needs cool people like you with your awsome attitude%), otherwise I'm sure you'll get past this whatever path you choose.:)

I didn't know where else to put this but here goes:

How do you tell someone who is on meth that they are not smelling so fresh? Is there anything I can suggest for them to do to make themselves smell fresh? He is usually up for 3 days, but I'm sure I saw him take a shower?

Thanks

I've only tried Dexedrine and Ritalin, what's "crystal meth" like...or what meth's are you referring to? Hmm interesting drug, never been interested in trying it after seeing what it does to people. I'll stick to recreational E, Coke, Weed, and liquor. Never had a problem keeping any of these under control. I don't understand how people get hooked on coke...I never crave it, or crave another line...coming off for me is getting hungry and tired. Well guess I'm a bit off-topic, I'd love to know though what crystal meth is like.

^
read through this, and previous "Meth - Amp" mega-threads, and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the final outcome feels like.

It's the high I more wonder about. But after watching sketch-show meth addicts in Burger King at 7 AM and other places while coming off wicked E parties I realized that drug is in no way desirable. People look like retards on it. Excuse me if that insults anyone heh... When I use Dexedrine I use it for making me better at whatever I have to do. Super hung over? Have to go to work? Pop 30mg of Dexedrine SR, or 15mg of the non time-released stuff...and boom your better then ever at work. Ritalin I used for medical reasons when I was in elementary school (ADD), but after researching how similar its effects are to cocaine I am about to get some more for free to try this out. I love science experiments.

Last edited:
^^ This probably isn't the best thread to discuss the high as some people may find that triggering...but obviously people like me really like the high. The other thing to remember is that cravings can hit you out of the blue, you say you don't crave coke now but it doesn't necessarily mean you never will, that's just a warning, to keep mindful of your use and keep reevaluating where you are...

The prob I've found with stimulants is that by the time you wonder whether you might be in too deep you most definitely are and it's much harder than you might first think to quit...

Foots- How are you doing??

I'm doing ok, same old same old :) Still off, 7 weeks today =D

The cravings have been getting better the last couple of days, more managable... I can't go to my meeting this week because of work, I hope that's ok for me.

More and more though I've been really wanting to get on other drugs, I want to get on mephedrone, heroin, ketamine or pills... I'm just worried that it will lead me to getting on the meth. What are other people's experience with this, can you get on other drugs without relapsing on or really craving meth...?

I actually admitted some shit to myself when I first quit, that I can not do any stimulants because it will lead me to buying meth - well I suppose that's my answer, but I suppose I'm just thinking if it's different now I've had 7 weeks off, I dunno...

^^ Are you going to then? What plans have you made to stop, and to keep off it? These things need to be set in stone for anyone having trouble with stimulants to stick to them. I suggest writing it all down, every little thing - write a pros and cons table, write down how you will deal with every single situation from friends using around you to dealing with cravings.

You might feel like shit but trust me, you've been using for a few months if that, your whole life hasn't yet become based around using meth, I'm sure you have friends who don't use - you're in a MUCH better situation to quit now than if you decide to get keep going for another year or 5. It will just get worse from here, this is just the beginning. Do you believe that though? I don't understand why you started using or why you keep going, or more importantly, why you keep complaining about it but never seem to actually do anything about stopping.

^^ This probably isn't the best thread to discuss the high as some people may find that triggering...but obviously people like me really like the high. The other thing to remember is that cravings can hit you out of the blue, you say you don't crave coke now but it doesn't necessarily mean you never will, that's just a warning, to keep mindful of your use and keep reevaluating where you are...

The prob I've found with stimulants is that by the time you wonder whether you might be in too deep you most definitely are and it's much harder than you might first think to quit...

I'm doing ok, same old same old :) Still off, 7 weeks today =D

The cravings have been getting better the last couple of days, more managable... I can't go to my meeting this week because of work, I hope that's ok for me.

More and more though I've been really wanting to get on other drugs, I want to get on mephedrone, heroin, ketamine or pills... I'm just worried that it will lead me to getting on the meth. What are other people's experience with this, can you get on other drugs without relapsing on or really craving meth...?

I actually admitted some shit to myself when I first quit, that I can not do any stimulants because it will lead me to buying meth - well I suppose that's my answer, but I suppose I'm just thinking if it's different now I've had 7 weeks off, I dunno...

The bolded is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!
VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU! =D
You have come a long way! :)
Yay Foots!!!

As far as other drugs-
I personally would stay away b/c I wouldn't want to risk it-
But it also depends on what you want for yourself-
BUT You know it has been a long hard road thus far- do you want to chance it?
Possibly have to do the last 7 weeks all over again???
And heroin is pretty heavy stuff...is this something you really want to play with?
I think you know the answer.........
I hope you are okay with the choice you make......

footscrazy - about using other drugs. i guess i needed to stay clean from everything for a long while, because i used and abused meth to escape. if i turned to another drug right away, i would have flung myself into that headfirst. i don't know if it would have led me back to meth, but it might have, and coming off of meth was the hardest thing i ever did. 7 weeks is excellent. i felt that my body had to heal, i ravaged it pretty badly with the drugs, my spacial abilities and attention span were crap, and those came back quite a bit. (not totally, it definetly changed me, but i'm learning to live with it).

keep up the good work, when you think back to the using days, every day away from meth is a miracle.

Four weeks off adderall except for a one-night relapse... But I'm starting to crave it a lot because I feel so weak and tired - I don't know why that is, maybe because I used ecstasy two times since then and it weakened my body. i've been exercising a lot more and sleeping more, but it doesn't seem to be helping at this point. Maybe the E messed me up too much, it wipes me out a lot and then I crave adderall because I want to be awake and functional for the next week afterwards. So far I haven't had any....

wingnutlives, I'm pretty sure you have reviewed threads and articles about ways to more quickly readily bounce back from rollin but maybe if you reviewed some threads and data in ED you'd find something new or overlooked before that could help.

Wonder how effective a tool would be adderall or dexedrine in managing meth addicts within the framework of harm reduction analogous to MMT and heroin?

Anyone who has more experience with severe addiction feel free to correct me, but it would seem to me that it would be a useful tool in preventing relapse once someone has quit, but it wouldn't be like MMT where you can just swap over from one to the other.

The main purpose of MMT, as I understand it, is to prevent physical withdrawal so the user can 'quit' heroin and the associated lifestyle without having to deal with the withdrawal and craving. They stop taking heroin, they start taking their methadone daily and try get out of the heroin lifestyle.

The problem I see with trying to use prescription stimulants in a similar role for meth addiction is that they'd need to be taking massive doses to counteract their tolerance and the dependance they have on the drug to deal with day to day activities. You'd just be substituting meth for an equivelant quantity of rx stims. If you went from a gram a day habit to 60mg of adderall you'd just lose all ability to function much as anyone withdrawing would, it just wouldn't be that effective in the face of a high tolerance and the massive beatdown your body would have taken from the meth.

Once a user has quit and their tolerance has gone down and their body has somewhat recovered, I can see rx stims being useful in preventing relapse, since they'll counteract any dopamine deficiencies from the meth abuse and give you the extra boost that you might otherwise turn to meth for.

That's just my 2c from what I know and what I've seen other people go through, anybody who's more experienced with that level of meth abuse feel free to correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.