• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Melb - Sat 24th Jan 04 - QBH - Armin Van Burren 6 hour set!

fuck im panicking - will there be tickets on the door!?
please be there tickets on the door!

edit: this is what i get for not deciding till quite literally last minute :S

Armin fucking went off!!

First of all they used the small sideroom at QBH not any upstairs room. Had a nice vibe in there though i must admit i didn't pay a great deal of attention to it.

His track selection was just amazing, i was like OMG when he through in 'Agnelli & Nelson - Nothing (not sure what mix?)' about half way through his marathon set. Which happens to be a track i am quite partial to.

The vibe and atmosphere was unbelievable. He did not progress through the genre' as much as i was expecting, but that is fine because what he spun was what i like. And was nothing short of classic AvB godliness.

As for Midro, i quite like his style (mostly), though it was not one of his best sets, closing after AvB is a task and a half and i think he did quite well.

Place was not too packed at all, had never been to QBH before but it is one of the better venues IMO. Plenty of room to dance, i was front centre through the majority of Armin's set and had little trouble.

Thought the setup at QBH was quite good (lights and lasers)

Anybody here get any of the vinyl' he through out ?

I have but ONE regret, and that is that i left my DigiCam in the damn car!!!!! arg i was so pissed when i realised!!!! But i am sure there will be loads of pics online in the next few days.

Anybody got a tracklist yet ? I'm not the best with names heh

1234 here got some vinyl, as did his flat mate

the bastards :)

All in all, the night was quite classy. I don't get into the trance thing much, but figured I missed him last year (goddamn lockout), and he _was_ born on the 25th of December, so it couldn't be too bad.

What a night...
Basically the best experience I have ever had at QBH!
They didnt oversell, and it was comfortable in the club with adequate air con, and even enough room on the dance floor for us to be right up the front for most of the night, with enough room to move.
It was the best way to experience Armin and I had an absolue blast!!!
Many thanks to Babydoc and hubby for sharing the night with me, you guys are awesome!!!

Did anyone actually see Armin take a toilet break in those 6 hours?
Just curious :)

It is now official: ARMIN IS GOD!
This was the best night i've had out since Pharmacy when Scot Project played. Armin's tracks were totally insane, he seemed genuinely happy to be there and worked hard for the punters. Was pretty cool at the end when he was around infront of the decks shaking hands with people and letting people get photos with him and then he would just lean back over the front of the decks a tweek few nobs and shit. Was just the most amazing night from Armin.
I've had some ordinary nights as QBH but the crowd there last night was pretty cool, i.e. not the usual QBH crowd. As others have said it wasn't overly packed with plenty of room to dance. The lasers were pretty awesome, got some wicked photos of the whole dancefloor with arms in the air with the multi-coloured lasers beaming out across the punters.
From a few reports from friends Midro wasn't at his worst and his close was not too bad. I stayed for his first track and then went to the sideroom to catch Steve Strangis. I thought he did pretty well, would definately take him over Midro any day.
To anyone who missed out on seeing Armin last night, I can only say.........eat shit and bad luck ;)

Beech out

I thought Armin made Tiesto's NYE set seem a little dull... was a fantastic event. Steve Strangis closing set in the side room made an excellent end to the night.
Tracklisting not official so may not be exact...

01 Ronald Klinkenberg - Monday Groove
02 Sarah McLachlan - Fallen (Gabriel and Dresden Anti Gravity Mix)
03 Portisheads - Roads (Sultan and The Greek Mix)
04 Nathan Fake - Outhouse (Main Mix)
05 Andain - Beautiful Things (Markus Schulz Coldharbour Remix)
06 Max Walder - Crown
07 Whirlpool - Under The Sun (Solarstone Mix)
08 Mr Sam v Fred Baker presents As One- Forever Waiting (Andain Summer Calling Acapella)
09 Rio Klein - Fearless (Push Mix)
10 Solid Globe - Sahara
11 Super 8 - Alba
12 ID
13 Active Sight - Search For Freedom
14 Sonicvibe & Mike Shiver - Lunaiton (Masters & Nickson remix)
15 Binary Finary 1998 (Ronski Speed Mix)
16 Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes (AvB Universal Religion Mix)
17 ID
18 Born Slippy NUXX (Paul Oakenfold Mix)
19 Dirt Devils - Music Is Life (POS Mix)
20 Katana - Tribal Shock
21 ID
22 Solar Factor - Urban Shakedown
23 Fictivision - Escape (Original Mix)
24 ID - Sounded exactly like BT Godspeed.
25 ID
26 Oceanlab - Satellite (Original Above and Beyond Mix)
27 Robert Nickson - Spiral
28 ID
29 Agnelli and Nelson - Holding onto Nothing (Deep Mix)
30 Marco V vs Jens - Loops and Tings (Relooped)
31 ID
32 ID
33 Umek - Gatex
34 Nitromethane - Time To Die (Seraque Mix)
35 Solarstone - Seven Cities (AvB Mix)
36 Dave Gahan - I Need You
37 Paul van Dyk - Time of Our Lives (PvD Club Mix)
38 DJ Tiesto - Urban Train (Armin van Buuren - Yet Another Day (Acapella))
39 ID
40 ID
41 Push - Strange World (2000 Remake)
42 Boss@Nova - Stone Cold
43 Paul van Dyk - For An Angel
44 Coldplay - Clocks (Marco V Mix)
45 Solar Factor - No Return
46 Mark Norman - Overkill
47 G&M Project - Sunday Afternoon
48 Kyau v Albert - Velvet Morning (Aalto Mix)
49 Rising Star - Burned With Desire (Rising Star Mix)
50 Primolux - Turnpoint
51 Mudblood - Flaming June 2004
52 Solid Sessions - Janiero (Armin van Buuren Mix)
53 Push - Electric Eclips

Encore
54 Rank 1 - Airwave (Breathing) (Breaks Dub)
55 Airwave v Rising Star - Sunspot (DCML Mix)

also in there, somewhere amongst the remaining IDs were:

Airbase Vs Dj Stigma - Hunting 2004
Terry Bones vs Fred Baker - Introspection (John Askew Remix)
Liquid State feat. Marcella Woods - Falling
Cern - The Message (Northern Remix)
Castaneda - Floor Control (Original Mix)

Last edited:
wow, it was better than expected. i dunno, the set didn't start off as awesome as i'd hoped, but that's more because he's normally on for less time. however, after abotu forty minutes i realised that this was gonna be good, and it just kept getting better. his mixing - despite not being god-like or anything (hey, it's trance remember) - was still pretty much flawless, but it was his track selection and crowd interaction which really made it.

took me quite a while to actually make it down the front despite promising myself that i'd be there all night, but once i did i hardly wanted to leave. "seven cities" was the track that got me jumping as usual, and god damn i was super-pumped when he signed my t-shirt. basically, the music was great, and that's all i was there for.

towards the end of the set armin started to get even more friendly with the crowd, almost constantly signing stuff and even shaking hands and reading messages people had typed to him on their phones. i'm sure you'll all hear about it from me if you see me around, but i was lucky enough to get a hand-shake: an extra long one too (after the, you know, *normal* amount of time expected for a hand-shake i actually started to pull away, but he held on and gave me a nod and a smile. fuck knows why, but i can only presume that having been the tallest one down the front for a while, and having a massive grin on my face, he was just happy to see me enjoying myself. whatever, i was pumped :)). and then...to top it off, he started throwing vinyl out to us all, and i managed to score one (cern - "the message"), and of course threw it straight back up to get signed. so yeah, i was pretty happy with the night ;)

funnily enough, after being most worried about how shit the venue would be, i really liked it - for once future didn't oversell (so definitely credit where credit's due - hopefully this might bode well for tt?), and though it was crowded, it wasn't terribly so. and the set-out was fine, plenty of room to walk around off the dance floor, and nice padded walls up-stairs. was great to catch up with a whole heap of people i hadn't seen for a while, and it was great hanging out with moe, kke, dogah, etc :)

a really good night, anyway! itm review coming soon :)

for me its hard to pick my favourite track of the night, but I'd probably have to say Born Slippy just because its full of good memories. Got mega excited when Clocks came on but then realised it was the Marco V remix, there are so many better mixes. Still was an awesome night and yes Armin is GOD.

Beech out

"burned with desire" and "seven cities" were probably my two favourite tracks for the night. i hardly heard "clocks" as i was too busy being munted up-stairs :D

I was eagerly anticipating this night for ages! I was impressed that te venue wasn't oversold (which was as I anticipated - yay for everyone going to RSF!), as every other time I've been to QBH it's been way packed, sometimes dangerously so. Air con was indeed excellent. I was however unimpressed by the sound quality - in certain areas there was significant distortion. This was a disappointment, as usually the sound is excellent at QBH. The lasers were sensational - best laser I've ever seen. The crowd was..interesting? Whenever I went to the toilets it felt like everyone else was in slinky club wear - made me feel slightly skanky. ;)

Anyhow, overall, I think I have prefer it when Armin does shorter sets. The length of the set meant he played mainly extended versions with drawn out buildups, and I just find this a bit too protracted. Having said that, I loved watching how Armin teases the crowd when he does this.:) He played a lot of great tunes, plus a few things I am not fond of - like Gatex - can't stand it. I really like Outhouse by Nathan Fake, but I thought the tempo was a bit slow, and maybe he should have played it later when he sped things up a bit. I was surprised he played relatively little uplifting vocal tracks, and overall played quite a broad range of stuff.

I absolutely adored As One + the vocal from Summer Calling - thought that was magic! Also loved hearing Nitromethane - Time to Die, Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes, and the Rising Star mix of Burned With desire was sensational (and craps all over the original imho).

I am dismayed that we left slightly before closing. Not only did I miss Sunspot (my favourite Armin tune) but missed all the highjinks. *sighs* I may regret that for the rest of my days. But 6 hours was so long and I was pooped. Anyhow, Armin has without a doubt the best on stage presence of any DJ I've ever seen. I don't know anyone else who interacts so much with the crowd, and he never let up. He has amazing energy, he gets so involved with the crowd, and I love the way he dances.:) I sorely regret not taking a flyer and getting his autograph - I did think of handing him a Two Tribes flyer, but that seemed a bit rude.8)

Caught a bit of Steve Strangis in the side room - sounded good, but I felt the need to get back to Armin. Big thanks to Dvah for being excellent company - you rock!

PS: bubsta - how'd you get the tracklist? Where you stanidng by with pen and paper all night or what?

Friends and I collated some tracks each (usually in our phones) and put them all together. A few of my friends can trainspot any trance track... unfortunately I am not one of them lol.

Hi! Had a good night, ran into a few of you... hope you all enjoyed it.

I thought the place was decked out pretty well and the atmosphere up front was excellent, wasn't too packed, which I think had more to do with the event not selling out more than anything else.

Looking at that tracklisting makes me wish I'd stayed for the second half.

bubsta said:
I thought Armin made Tiesto's NYE set seem a little dull...
I would have to agree, Tiesto's NYE set was definately missing something, lacking a little creativity maybe, i hear he played basically the same set in sydney...

Thanks for the tracklist!!

Was just about the best event i have been to all round. The atmosphere, the people, the music just everything came neatly together for the makings of an incredible night. And to think i almost did not attend.

sounds like it was a gooood night!!!, it's a shame i missed it :( ...glad you's all had fun!! :)

i'm sure he's gonna be down a dozen more times like last year tho, so i think i have many more chances to here him play again...

Tom
I didn't realise that God (Armin as some call him) visited Australia so regularly. I know that I will definately be present at his next visit to Melbourne. Hopefully its not too far away.

Beech out

best night i have had in ages!

fantastic music, fantastic people everything i could have asked for!

clocks was the highlight of my night after a very nice paul van dyk for an angel....again armin was lookin hot, and his smile made me weak at the knees when he signed my cd :) i made 1234 jealous with a signed copy of his latest cd until he came up to me with a signed vinyl *bastard*

this party although run by future i must say was a bloody great night, restored my faith in parties :)

looking foward to armins visit next year =D