• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Quitting Thread aka I need a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
I became an alcoholic and benzodiazepine addict and then eventually moved onto heroin. I don't recommend this though.

I became an alcoholic and benzodiazepine addict and then eventually moved onto heroin. I don't recommend this though.

and this is why you should never try to replace one addiction with another.

There are far too many stories on bluelight of this kind of thing, and its easy to let happen. I swear if i were more inclined to drinking I would have prolly picked up quite the drinking habit during my sober period(sober from weed and other illegal substances) but i have never been a huge drinker. I get sick to my stomach too easily, get bad hang overs, and generally dont find it anywhere near as enjoyable or medicinal for me.

So far i think the two most mentioned options:

Sex and Exercise.

I cope through understanding that I am a better man without the stuff in my brain all the time. I feel healthier, much smarter, my pot-induced anxiety and depression clear up, and my #1 reason for living isn't to service a lonely plant that latches on to people.=]

I think we've got a winner.

To speak for myself, though, the key to beating a long-term drug habit is finding something (or somethingS) to replace your substance addiction. You can refrain from smoking all you want, but that's just half the battle. The other half is killing your urge to smoke, which is extremely more difficult than simply not smoking. You've just got to find something else for your mind to dwell on and keep yourself preoccupied so that you get out of the habit of even thinking about your habit... if that makes sense. =D

yea your not gonna wanna do opiates to get over it, i dont do em im just thinkin that cant be a good idea. But man if you didnt have a good reason to quit that might be it right there, then your depriving yourself of a relatively harmless substance for no reason, a substance you happen to LOVE.

The plain fact of the matter is weed just isnt bad for you, you can smoke 7 joint years without it negatively affecting your lungs (1 joint a day for seven years) so if your quitting for no reason just to see how it'd be i would resume indefinitely. But if your quitting for financial or health problems, just find a hobby. When i would take a break i would turn something into my weed. Sounds bad probably, but everytime i'd get the urge i'd go on a bike ride or play some cod or just do something to substitute the time taken blazing. It's probably work for a month, then you'd need some real activities, but that shouldnt be too hard.

just realized i basically summed up what Jibult said, but he is veeery right

Currently don't miss it. I used to love smoking it after snorting oxies, but I live in a place where I can't take a chance with the smells, and the summer job I got required a drug test, so I had to quit. Smoking weed by itself or with alcohol depresses me.

One detailed post

Hey man, I'm not the OP, but I really appreciate you typing all of that out. I'm in the beginning stages of getting "clean" from pot and I wanted to ask you a question, since I feel like what you just said is almost exactly how I personally feel myself.

I'm excited about getting clean, however I'm worried that I won't be able to enjoy the pot again without it being too intense. Do you see yourself indulging on occasion (let's say 1-3 times a month) without problem? During my senior year of high school I smoked almost exclusively on weekends and never had a real problem, yet then as I became a daily smoker through university it really started to bear down on me and get bad. As you said, it's easy to rationalize things in the moment and not want to see the light. I fucking love weed, and also recognize that daily extended use severely clouds my head and prevents me from actualizing my potential in most areas of life. Kind of a shame really. I think the problem morein lies with an issue of self-control--I buy huge quantities because I hate dealing with crooks, and then, hey, it's there, why not smoke it? Yep. I definitely suck at self-control.

Hey sirtophamhat, I'm glad you found my post useful. I've actually only not been stoned for a week, so I am typing down my thoughts like crazy because I become a little manic for a while when I'm coming off it. Not really, I'm just a little overwhelmed by my sober energy. And plus, I am still obsessing over pot at this point - the most I can do is write about it=D

I managed a 3 month break last year, and then I didn't get my dream job I really wanted and came close to getting, so I smoked a joint to deal with it. I immediately became a fiend again and everything just went straight to hell, all the amazing progress I had made was lost. Now, after burning out for 6 months or so and finally having had enough of chasing that initial high, I know better. I'm not going to make that mistake this time. Once a fiend, always a fiend... I really can't afford to smoke ever again at this point, my 20's will pass me by and I will think "what have I done with my life?"

I believe that my neurophysiology has been forever changed by weed, and that even after prolonged breaks the dormant addiction comes back full force. I have ruined this drug for myself by abusing it, which is ok, because it never did much good for me anyway and I can still very much get high off other mind expanding things on occasion, that leave me feeling liberated instead of angry, depressed, anxious, and craving another hit like crazy for at least a couple days.

A strange thing is that I have excellent self control with other drugs that I use, being able to take them or leave them. I've been persistently dedicated to exercise for a decade, and consider myself strong minded. It's almost embarassing that I've been caught by something so seemingly innocent, after sniffing all these lab chemicals and gotten away with it, a darn little weed has completely fucked up my life.

It was bad for me in university, I was stoned for everything and it made my social life far worse than I'm sure it would have been if I wasn't so burnt out all the time. But what is worse, is that I continued to smoke pot all day every day after university. I am currently careerless and I doubtless should not be at this point as I graduated ages ago. I know deep down that my total lack of self control with and obsession over weed is the primary reason for this, but in order to deal with it, alas, I smoke weed all day and days/weeks go by and whoops... forgot to apply all that much.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me about how many people have a problem with weed. It's unbelievable!!
I have never even met anyone who tokes that said they had to quit because it was getting out-of-control. My whole life, 95% of my friends, acquaintances & relatives are weed smokers & have been for a long time. I started at age 15 in 1969. My 1st toke I knew this was the substance for me. I was also a raging alcoholic for 25+ yrs, drinking a 12-pack nightly. It got to the point where the hangovers were lasting longer than my previous night's booze buzz. I quit drinking 9 yrs ago.
I smoked cigs since age 13, about a pack-a-day for almost 40 yrs. I quit that ignorant habit 5 yrs ago. But weed? I can toke all evening & get up the next morning feeling just fine. I don't toke all day long. I did in the 1970s & 80s, but nowadays, I wait until about 7-8 p.m. I've never even taken a break, except when I had emergency gall-bladder surgery & was hospitalized 9 days. But when I came home, I stayed clear of weed for another 3 weeks. Didn't bother me in the least. I gotta admit, when I restarted, it felt great!! Nothing like a great stone. I have a few pals who grow, so I get comped all my smoke. I got 2 mason jars full of bodacious buds=D!!
Anyway, I worked for a major newspaper for 20+ yrs & a smaller paper until I retired. We live in a bought & paid for $250,000 house in a retirement community. Been married 25 yrs & we have a 21 yr old son...who doesn't toke, smoke, drink or gamble. Not 1 vice. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that after tokin weed for 43 yrs, I lived a normal life with no bad effects from weed. If booze can be sold to anyone 21 yrs of age, why not weed? How many youngsters drink some beers, get behind the wheel & say, "Watch me take this corner at 90!!"8o...Now, how many people who are stoned would say that when driving? Probably 0!! They'd be going the speed limit...worrying if the cops are hiding somewhere.
Everyone's different, so the people who can toke & live a normal life, shouldn't be persecuted that weed hasn't had adverse effects for them!!

^I think you misunderstand, Mr. Squidhead. Nobody is "persecuting" anyone!

Weed is a great drug. My favorite drug. I think it should be legal and available to everyone who wants it. I vape a lot of weed everyday, myself.

But it is clearly addictive for some people. I can't go a day without smoking weed without sweating very profusely and feeling quite irritable. If I go a couple days, I'm remarkably uncomfortable and can't sleep a wink. I know other people who are in a similar situation, and the medical/scientific peer-reviewed literature has documented this phenomenon extensively.

{on an aside: As opposed to what you previously insinuated in other threads that are now closed, I'm not a drug rep. (I wish! Those people make at least 5x what I do.) I'm just a lowly labrat with more education than I could possibly want or need or afford (who soon may be out of health insurance, so its crazy to insinuate I'm on the side of "the man" in some way), but I'm a scientist by both trade and inclination, so I just want to know the way things actually are.

I really have nothing in my life but good people, good nugs, and a love of truth, and so when I see untruths I speak against them. This is so in the case of cannabis withdrawal, because its a very real phenomenon and it bothers me when people refuse to accept that it is real. I experience it as a defining part of my life, in that I just can't stop smoking pot because of the negative symptoms that occur when I stop. I've quit opiates, benzos, and cigarettes and still I have more trouble quitting pot -- due to physical symptoms, especially the uncontrollable sweating which I find extremely hard to cope with.}

Last edited:
I've read this thread a lot and it really helped me. About 2 months ago (after wanting to and with help from this thread) I quit smoking weed for 30 days. It was pretty shitty the first few weeks but i eventually got over it. Quitting definitely wasn't the cure-all to all of my problems like i had expected, but it fixed a lot of things about me. For example, I definitely feel more social and stuff now. When I smoked for the first time after 30 days, I got high as fuck! it felt like the good 'ol times i had had with weed. I was laughy, smiley, very psychedelic and had cottonmouth like a mother fucker! I had been smoking for 4 years all day everyday prior to this. So I highly recommend taking a month break--It DOES bring back the cannabis magic. Now I only smoke when I have an opportunity (usually 3 days/week and not all day long) and I still get high as hell. You guys can do it and it is so worth it! I was like all of you guys saying how weed is ruining your life. I realize how hard it is to get motivation to quit, but it is very possible and well worth it. Just thought id give my 2 cents. Good luck to all of you :) :)

When i took my break from weed, I coincidentally lost all of my friends for a multitude of reasons (people got girl/boy friends, jobs, etc.). So i was super lonely. I picked up drinking a little bit and that helped my craving to get "altered" lol. Other than that, when I did have a rare time to spend time with someone, this helped keep my mind off things. Also, work and school as well. Good luck to you friend

Also-- I wrote a list of what things in my life that would change for the better without cannabis and this helped a lot. My list was HUGE so that helped. Looking back at the list, a lot of the things that I wanted to change indeed did, but there were others on my list that are still the same. I defs checked off like 3/4 of my list after quitting though

@ AE
i once smoked some hemp hash oil when i was dry and it definately took the will to smoke away a good bit my girl who suffers rheumatoid athritis also noted that the pain went away so maybe you are on to something there, the hemp did get you high by the way (it was a plant we found in a friends backyard growing from bird food) but just in immense quantities and was kind of a dull high.

If i had to quit i would definately try to pick something up that is pretty low grade as these are more likely to have less thc and more cbd and puff it to make the craving for a bong hit go away the first 2 days...I noticed if you sneak yourself out of smoking rather than stopping completly there are no "withdrawals" at all, just feeling normal...I normally do this after a longer binge of smoking, i will smoke 3 cones on friday, 2 on saturday and only 1 by sunday night. It really for me just works this easy...

Physical withdrawal is real, although I have been cutting back all year and I don't get it anymore. Emotions are physical in nature and I consistently become depressed for a few days when I stop smoking it before becoming stable again due to the receptor downregulation or whatever it is. Not to mention that I puke if I eat a serving of oats, and stay up all night with my thoughts racing unable to sleep, which is due but not limited to there being downregulated cannabinoid receptors in my stomach and pancreas I believe. I have literally stayed up for 4 days straight withdrawing, laying all day in bed, sweaty and anxious, furious at how dependent I have become on something that I heard wasn't even addictive. And then when I'm finally able to fall asleep I get horrible sleep paralysis. My body wigs out, but that's all in my head I guess, not a real problem:\

You have to smoke a LOT of pot, for a long time to get this, that's why people don't think it's real. You just arn't smoking that much weed... 90%+ of daily smokers I know don't get physical withdrawal, but for people like me who smoke 3.5grams+ of high grade every day, and have been doing so year after year, I assure you it is real and it totally sucks. I'm the type to rock a big bong rip every 20 minutes for the whole entire day, that will catch up with you eventually and you'll fuck up your body chemistry doing that:!

I know it's a wicked awesome super fun mind expanding drug, that's why I smoked so much of it throughout the years. But it's totally fucked me over now physically so I am through with it, and my psychological attachment to it has become so rediculous that self control is not worth it at all, because of the unavoidable anxiety and depression I experience for a whole day or 2 when I come down even after smoking once now, as a long term addict the comedown has become severe - there wasn't even a harsh comedown initially but my body has changed from it.

Last edited:
I like the ideas of sex and exercise.
Exercise has helped me in the past, and continues to help.
But starting to learn a new, difficult language helped me quit and keep my mind off of weed for several years.
I decided I was going to go to that country, and began studying my ass off, memorizing words and sentences, etc.
There was no longer time to smoke weed.
So, I recommend becoming passionate about something and really mastering it.
It doesn't really matter what it is - become a chef, or a swimmer, or a stock trader, or an expert on butterflies.
What matters is that you are passionate about it, and you go in that direction wholeheartedly.

i've only experienced withdrawal symptoms once, after smoking 5-10 bowls a day for about 50 days i stopped cold turkey. it took me about 5 extra hours laying in bed wide awake before i could fall asleep and my appetite was nonexistent. after i week i gave in and smoked again. there really is an enormous amount of misinformation about weed that is widely believed by those who smoke. feels bad, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.