• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Quitting Thread aka I need a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for that wickywacky ! Thats something i literally just did straight after i read that post , im putting it in a nice spot where ill see it everytime i wake up .

hey all , this is my first time actually begining an attempt to even take a break ,i took a month off when i first moved to my new area , but that wasnt by choice . Since then ive been smoking daily anywhere from 5 cones - 50 cones . In the last 2 weeks i have been extremely depressed , suicidal , i had a mild (psychotic) episode , i went on an ego trip and didnt sleep for 3 days , with dilusions constantly going through my head whilst drinking VERY heavily and smoking alot . About 6 days ago my main supply went awol (hes what drove me into a psychotic/sociopathic state of mind) and i havent smoked for about 5-6 days , the first 3 were terrible , i got diagnosed with an STI and was really bored the whole time cause this guy was basically my best and only real friend in my new area , so i was really bored in turn really depressed , took a visit to TDS and decided to go for walks , and play some pool . 3 days later and i feel great , ive started playing pool regularly , made a new (drug free) friend through doing so . Yesterday i went to my nearest set of shops and asked every single place for work , and 3 took my resume . I plan to do the same tomorrow after my shithouse course . i even did some exersise tonight ! I havent done intentional fitness exersise in years , and it made me feel great .

My issue here is its payday tomorrow , and to be honest id like to keep this going for as long as possible , but i can basically guarentee i will end out buying some weed :/ im at a bit of a loss here cause i seriously dont know what to do , i know that eventually ill get bored , buy some weed and be back into the same routine of being stoned every waking minute for the next 3-4 days till i run out of money , then im back to square one , if this happens , ill be having about a week and a half break , unless my mate comes back on thursday like he said he probably is . To be honest if someone could give me an effective way to not even buy the weed i would give it a go , i definetly think i could occupy more time wiith recreational activities , and exersise , but i doubt its gonna happen , playing pool for a few hours a day , going for walks and doing 'some' exersise , is already an extreme change . I have also put up a piece of paper in my view when i wake up with reminders of reasons to quit .

Any wise words of wisdom ?

No w/ds at all - not mad at the world lol.

I have been drinking a bit more, but nothing out of the ordinary. Besides that, my dreams are very vivid and intense, but that's about it. I take ambien every night so I have no clue if it's effected my natural sleep cycle this time around - I sleep like a baby each night.

I gave it up permanently, or at least for a good couple years.

---> quitting aka i need a break thread

ok..thanks for pointing out my dumbness in forgetting what thread i was in.
i needed reminding.

glad you're not mad at the world..lol.
i am sometimes, but not because of this.
but i'll shut up before i show how dumb i can really be..
am excellent at going off topic...

~token

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, it's encouraging to see a lot of you have been in the same boat as me and have managed to work out ways of moving forward. There's a lot of great advice on this page and i intend to implement it this week hopefully with success! I'm going to get outside and exercise daily and have planned to meet up with a few buddies who don't smoke. It's only a couple of weeks til i start full-time study with luck i'll be able to keep myself busy and begin on a good note. Wickywacky and KhyanBean, those are both fantastic strategies and suit my mentality really well, hugely appreciated.

I'm deciding whether to taper over the next few days or to just toss my piece out tomorrow and potentially use edibles or stop completely.

Also encouraging to see that other people have found weed as habit forming as myself. Could be largely to do with my personality, but i have found it above and beyond the most tempting substance.

Whilst any addiction whether it is just psychological or not can be difficult to deal with, once you've been dependent on opioids, particularly ones like methadone, you'll consider yourself relatively lucky that it's just cannabis at the end of the day. Most people will find it relatively straightforward to come off of cannabis providing they have the right support and most importantly, if they are determined enough. I'll put it this way, if you can overcome a cigarette addiction, you can probably get over a cannabis habit, you just have to want to succeed badly enough. I'm not trying to minimize or dismiss a cannabis habit but sometimes it's good to get things in perspective. A lot of ignorant members of the public or the media seem to be under the impression that a cannabis habit is just the same as a cocaine habit or a heroin habit when in actual fact it's not even in the same league for most people.

Although not necessary, I wonder whether non-psychoactive strains of cannabis might be of some use for someone trying to kick a cannabis habit. I'm not referring to hemp cultivars used for fibre or seed but rather high CBD, low THC strains that look, feel and taste just like normal weed does when smoked. It might just help a little with some of the anxiety, appetite loss, insomnia and some of the psychological aspects of the habit that make coming off the drug difficult since it would feel just like smoking weed but without the psychoactive effects of THC. It might be vaguely analogous to using an e-cigarette to come of tobacco.

Last edited:
My issue here is its payday tomorrow , and to be honest id like to keep this going for as long as possible , but i can basically guarentee i will end out buying some weed :/ im at a bit of a loss here cause i seriously dont know what to do , i know that eventually ill get bored , buy some weed and be back into the same routine of being stoned every waking minute for the next 3-4 days till i run out of money , then im back to square one , if this happens , ill be having about a week and a half break , unless my mate comes back on thursday like he said he probably is . To be honest if someone could give me an effective way to not even buy the weed i would give it a go , i definetly think i could occupy more time wiith recreational activities , and exersise , but i doubt its gonna happen , playing pool for a few hours a day , going for walks and doing 'some' exersise , is already an extreme change . I have also put up a piece of paper in my view when i wake up with reminders of reasons to quit .

Any wise words of wisdom ?

Find out what is making it so you are unable to moderate your usage. It's a self destructive nature within you, and only you can figure out what that is coming from. For me it seems to come from low self esteem and the desire to harm myself so I "stay down," so to speak. If I am not stoned all the time I wouldn't have an excuse not to be motivated and thrive. For some reason, I don't feel I deserve to thrive.

(note-- I don't doubt that some people can thrive while stoned all day. But for myself, I know I cannot)

Find out what is making it so you are unable to moderate your usage. It's a self destructive nature within you, and only you can figure out what that is coming from. For me it seems to come from low self esteem and the desire to harm myself so I "stay down," so to speak. If I am not stoned all the time I wouldn't have an excuse not to be motivated and thrive. For some reason, I don't feel I deserve to thrive.

(note-- I don't doubt that some people can thrive while stoned all day. But for myself, I know I cannot)

same here , i love getting stoned but it makes me so unmotivated and completely unenergetic . funny u mention the self destructive nature , my mum says the same thing , i got kicked out of home at 15 and immediately went to ultimate self destruct , which only got more and more and MORE destructive to the point of playing with death day in and day out . i dont really have low self esteem , i am who i am and cunts can get fucked , period , after beating the anxiety brought on by paranoia ill talk to anyone about whatever the fuck i want reguardless of how many minutes ive known them , im pretty confident also . im unable to moderate my use because when im smoking weed , id rather be stoned than be sober , so i do that , bordom is a major factor too . but you really have given me something to think about , ill be thinking about that till i have a better response , thank you , really .

Starting a 5 day tolerance break today, maybe it'll be longer but who knows. First one in quite some time, but man those 10+ bowl days at Lightning in a Bottle did me dirty.

Whilst any addiction whether it is just psychological or not can be difficult to deal with, once you've been dependent on opioids, particularly ones like methadone, you'll consider yourself relatively lucky that it's just cannabis at the end of the day. Most people will find it relatively straightforward to come off of cannabis providing they have the right support and most importantly, if they are determined enough. I'll put it this way, if you can overcome a cigarette addiction, you can probably get over a cannabis habit, you just have to want to succeed badly enough. I'm not trying to minimize or dismiss a cannabis habit but sometimes it's good to get things in perspective. A lot of ignorant members of the public or the media seem to be under the impression that a cannabis habit is just the same as a cocaine habit or a heroin habit when in actual fact it's not even in the same league for most people.

Although not necessary, I wonder whether non-psychoactive strains of cannabis might be of some use for someone trying to kick a cannabis habit. I'm not referring to hemp cultivars used for fibre or seed but rather high CBD, low THC strains that look, feel and taste just like normal weed does when smoked. It might just help a little with some of the anxiety, appetite loss, insomnia and some of the psychological aspects of the habit that make coming off the drug difficult since it would feel just like smoking weed but without the psychoactive effects of THC. It might be vaguely analogous to using an e-cigarette to come of tobacco.

i find cigarettes harder (at the moment) cause i get pretty intense cravings for cigarettes , more intense than weed , and theyre sneaky little deathsticks . theyre fucking everywhere and just will not fuck off , where as weed ive been able to occupy myself and keep away from people who smoke weed , but i swear fucking everyone smokes cigarettes >.< ive had an ice addiction an was able to disconnect myself , weed ive disconnected myself , cigarettes wont go away ! theyre on the ground outside when im craving bad enough , in my brothers pocket / my clean friends pockets , and get offered to me every time they have a god damn cigarette , i can only say when i have no craving at all . i managed not to buy any cigarettes or weed today :) (on my payday) and still have $100 left (out of 200) after buying my meds , and $40 i spent on alcohol (i know i know , story for another day if it seems like a big deal) and some other stuff .

i find leaf/kieff is perfect to get rid of the cravings , because it is more of a habit than an actual addiction , and it gets u somewhat stoned to . so having a bong when u feel like a bong is perfect , and its somewhat weed also .

For those who have quit Weed before, how did you cope?

I have currently not smoked Marijuana for 1 month and my life has been boring as hell.

I don't have any cravings or anything, nor was I a heavy smoker (3-4 times a week). It's just when I smoked, I would always look forward to ending my day with a joint and watching a movie etc.

Now that I have nothing to look forward to at the end of the week. Life has been very mundane, and boring. Especially stuff I used to do when high (music, movies etc.)

How did you guys cope with (not necessarily the mental addiction) of Marijuana, but rather, missing it all together?

Does it get better with time?

Exercise is the main thing. A good bike ride is even more exhilarating than drugs sometimes. Find new/more friends, girls, passions, go to school, or try other drugs? lol

Well why did you quit?

I mean, there isn't much that can equal the feeling of smoking a bowl to relax after a long day. Most people have a drink instead of smoking, but drinking isnt anywhere as enjoyable for me as weed it. Its all about personal preference though.

Honestly the only time i really quit smoking was because at the time i became involved with a guy who didnt smoke. But we had some realling amazing sex, so sex pretty much took the place of weed for me. I stayed clean of the green for about 4 years, but never found anything that matched the awesome relaxing powers of smoking weed(other than the really great sex daily nightly and ever so rightly) which is why i went back to it once the relationship ended.

Normally i would merge this with the Quitting Mega thread, but you have already quit. I'll just leave these open for feedback.

go to the gym and have a really good workout, when you work out and push your body to the limit, i garuntee when you leave that gym, your goin to have a natural high, like a natural coke run, feels really good.

Not only excersise but find some receatioal activities , I stopped smoking pot about 9 days ago , and already really miss it lol , I can assure u I had/have a strong mental addiction to weed . I've just disconnected myself from the people who smoke , and have had to use willpower to stop myself even buying it , I'm outa cash for 2 weeks though :) so I can't buy any drugs at all .

I cope through understanding that I am a better man without the stuff in my brain all the time. I feel healthier, much smarter, my pot-induced anxiety and depression clear up, and my #1 reason for living isn't to service a lonely plant that latches on to people.

Maybe you arn't experiencing the positives of being off pot because you don't have enough activities other than drugs going on in your life that are enjoyable. I work out harder, read through literature much faster, and I am generally much more focussed and responsible. Basically, I cope through realizing that I am better off without pot in every area of my life that matters to me, and that the meaning of life is not to chase pleasure inducing experiences, but for me it is to become the best possible version of my self both mentally and physically. A great way to relax other than sex or drugs is through yoga, which I do every day. As altered states can be a productive means of exploring consciousness, I do not give them up but rather stick to the rare use of powerful psychedelics, which is far more rewarding than chasing an addictive stone my whole life and burning out horribly.

I also take great pride in no longer giving drug dealers money. The pot industry is controlled by violent criminal organizations in my area who will give you the option of a bullet in the knee or a chopped off finger if you owe them money. I have indirectly given thousands of dollars to these disgusting people who have little going for them in terms of mental capacity and resort to growing a plant for their "career" and feeding off of other people's addictions. I never want to give them another cent, but unfortunately, these bastards have me brainwashed to hand over money to them like a sheep. Not anymore.

Cannabis overuse is a very negative thing for many people, and you should ask yourself what it is that you get out of smoking a lot of weed. As an introvert, I rarely if ever get to experience good sex and smoking weed all day fills the empty void that this has created in my life. However, smoking massive amounts of pot is not a good way of dealing with this problem as it makes me socially stupid, and is probably the main reason why I have this problem in the first place. I think that you should find some more productive activities to enjoy if upon introspection you come to realize that the reasons you are so attracted to pot in the first place are also not good ones. In my experience it doesn't solve problems, but rather creates many of them and simply isn't worth it at all. When the dope is in my system, I come up with all sorts of excuses as to why pot is good for me; when I sober up, I realize that I was in fact being delusional.

As time goes on and the memories of being stoned fade away, things get a whole lot better, trust me. However things get worse before they get better - getting clean is one thing, staying clean is another. It sounds like you are struggling to stay clean. Some folk dislike attributing phrases usually reserved for needle junkies to potheads, but I use my sober state of consciousness as my frame of reference, not more harmful drugs that I don't give a shit about or do, and my pot use has had an extreme, tremendous negative effect on my life with very little positives apart from exposing me to mind expanding psychedelics. There comes a point, after a good 2 or 3 months in my case, that I cease to think about pot. When you no longer live with the burden of relying on a plant for certain purposes, things can really get a whole lot better and I find I'm far more confident, and spiritually free.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with having a small toke at the end of a hard week. How is that any different to having a glass or two of wine with your partner or friends? We need a carrot on a stick to keep us chugging through life. But if you don't want to smoke, spend time with friends or a partner, do something engaging that will take your mind off of it.

I stopped back in August so I could be 100% focused for the academic year. Started a new Uni course and did loads of new things I hadn't done. Didn't really miss it once to be honest. Now the summer is here and I'm not doing anything I started up again. Spent a week abusing it like I used to, got sick of it again.. and now I'm back to where I was last August, wanting a small toke every now and then but not being stoned all the time.

Not sure if that helps :/

This might not be the best advise, but opiates seem to kill the urge when i needed to smoke everyday now i honestly could care less 'bout weed but, we've had a complete drought of opiates and im goin crazy..

^I'd say "you can't be serious" with this suggestion, but the bad news is that you're always serious Alpraz

How do you cope with complete cessation of marijuana smoking? It sucks at first. There are definite withdrawal symptoms, however minor they may be. These symptoms usually include boredom, lack of appetite, and really wanting to get high. I guess my advice is pretty straightforward. Just try not to think about it, and eventually your past endeavors with cannabis will fade into obscurity and you'll know longer crave it so bad. It's kind of like forgetting about that ex-girlfriend you know?

I, too, used to require weed to go to sleep at night. When I could no longer smoke at night like I so enjoyed, I just changed up my bedtime routine. Instead of smoking weed, I take 100mg of diphenhydramine and 10mg of melatonin. Both working together really helps me relax before bed and eventually knocks me right out around the 1:15hr mark. I hope this helps you out

Status
Not open for further replies.