• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Quitting Thread aka I need a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I think you misunderstand, Mr. Squidhead. Nobody is "persecuting" anyone!

Weed is a great drug. My favorite drug. I think it should be legal and available to everyone who wants it. I vape a lot of weed everyday, myself.

But it is clearly addictive for some people. I can't go a day without smoking weed without sweating very profusely and feeling quite irritable. If I go a couple days, I'm remarkably uncomfortable and can't sleep a wink. I know other people who are in a similar situation, and the medical/scientific peer-reviewed literature has documented this phenomenon extensively.

{on an aside: As opposed to what you previously insinuated in other threads that are now closed, I'm not a drug rep. (I wish! Those people make at least 5x what I do.) I'm just a lowly labrat with more education than I could possibly want or need or afford (who soon may be out of health insurance, so its crazy to insinuate I'm on the side of "the man" in some way), but I'm a scientist by both trade and inclination, so I just want to know the way things actually are.

I really have nothing in my life but good people, good nugs, and a love of truth, and so when I see untruths I speak against them. This is so in the case of cannabis withdrawal, because its a very real phenomenon and it bothers me when people refuse to accept that it is real. I experience it as a defining part of my life, in that I just can't stop smoking pot because of the negative symptoms that occur when I stop. I've quit opiates, benzos, and cigarettes and still I have more trouble quitting pot -- due to physical symptoms, especially the uncontrollable sweating which I find extremely hard to cope with.}

I never realized how many people have a difficult time smoking weed...quitting weed...taking a break from weed, etc, etc. I have never even met anyone who had a tough time with cannabis. Evidently, most people just can't quit smoking abruptly.
My apologies towards anyone who's having a rough time quitting whatever habit they've decided to stop. I tip my hat to anyone who's trying & still having a difficult time. Just set your mind to it & you'll succeed. I have to realize that a lotta people just can't stop their habit(s) easily.

I am glad there is finally some awareness of the addictiveness of weed. I can relate to all the symptoms described by the people who have difficulties with weed withdrawal. It used to piss me off so much because I knew that my withdrawal were real and physical but I would always encounter people who would just laugh at me and tell me it was impossible. I hate that viewpoint because I feel like maybe if there been more warnings about how addictive and harmful marijuana can be to some people, maybe then I would not have let it ruin my life. But who knows, maybe I would have. I just remember justifying it to myself in the beginning by telling myself how harmless it was and how it was so much safer than drinking, even though all my friends who drank on the weekends but didn't smoke weed were doing fine, while I was turning to into a paranoid wreck and failing classes because all I did was smoke weed and my brain was so clogged up with THC that I couldn't remember stuff and/or just stopped caring about school and spent thousands of dollars to smoke this plant.

Also, that thing about seven joint years (one joint a day for seven years) well I used to smoke six joints a day every day so every year was six joint years for me and my lungs certainly were damaged by it. I developed an awful cough and suffered from shortness of breath and would feel like I was going to pass out any time I exercised.

My utmost sympathies to you...I really had no idea how many people can't get a grip on moderation. EVERYTHING needs to be done in moderation...whether it's dope, food, exercising, booze, gambling, etc.
I must say, though, you picked a great user name...considering. =D

Thanks, I think weed is kind of like alcohol. It's not as addictive as alcohol for most people, but it can be compared to alcohol in the sense that a person like you might say have not met many alcoholics in real life. I mean, you might say everyone in my family drinks, they always have wine at social gatherings, my friends drink beer, etc and none of them are alcoholics. So based solely on your own experience, you might not consider alcohol that addictive. However, if you go to an AA meeting, or just look at a map of AA meetings in your area or other statistics on alcohol abuse, so you will see that alcoholism is incredibly prevalent.

I feel like most marijuana users do not become addicted, but there are certain people where marijuana just fits into their lifestyle and they can become seriously dependent on it to the point where it actually becomes as serious as an addiction to so called harder drugs. I am right now addicted to heroin, and although heroin withdrawal is definitely far worse than marijuiana withdrawal, to be fair I have to admit that marijuana had a lot of negative impacts on me that heroin has not had. For instance, marijuana caused me to become paranoid, have panic attacks and become forgetful. It also caused me to become depressed and anxious even when sober and very forgetful too. Over time, it took me to a very dark place. Heroin hasn't ever made me panic or anxious and generally the only thing I get depressed about over my heroin use is how much it costs. Now am I saying that everyone should stop smoking pot and switch to heroin? Of course not. However, there just needs to be some awareness out there, that for a small minority of users, cannabis addiction can be extremely serious.

There were times where for months on end I would do nothing but sit in my room taking gravity bong hits all day. How I ever got to that point, I don't know. But it was a very dark time in my life and it actually took me years after quitting, before I finally began to feel like my old self again, and not paranoid anymore.

Okay I'm gonna go ahead and merge this with the mega thread, feel free to continue the discussion there guys!

/merged.

I'm now 12 days clean , I've been excersising but today I did my first proper workout :) , usually I'll play pool as a great passtime but I can hardly lift my arms now haha . I plan on trying the 'occasional' smoker thing eventually , hopefully not for a fair while longer , but my plan is to just buy a gram every payday (every 2 weeks) which will be gone within a day or two , along with my pay disappearing in that time also lol . Does this sound like an alright plan ?

I'm now 12 days clean , I've been excersising but today I did my first proper workout :) , usually I'll play pool as a great passtime but I can hardly lift my arms now haha . I plan on trying the 'occasional' smoker thing eventually , hopefully not for a fair while longer , but my plan is to just buy a gram every payday (every 2 weeks) which will be gone within a day or two , along with my pay disappearing in that time also lol . Does this sound like an alright plan ?

Sounds OK to me...but your best bet (& you won't be able to smoke it anytime soon) is to grow your own. It's a great hobby...will keep you 'clean' for awhile, as it won't be toke-able for 4-5 months. Either indoor or an outdoor grow. I prefer outdoors myself (although there is that small animal problem) & just take a piss around your plants & make a barrier of cayenne pepper.
The only problem with an 'indoor' grow is if the pigs pinch you & discover your plants inside the house, the bastards can confiscate your home (happened to a pal of mine in Utah) & your possessions...plus he lived within a 1000 ft of a schoolyard. You'll save a ton of $$$ by growing your own...& it'll keep you clean until the plants are ready for harvesting & curing. It's a win-win situation!!

Sounds OK to me...but your best bet (& you won't be able to smoke it anytime soon) is to grow your own. It's a great hobby...will keep you 'clean' for awhile, as it won't be toke-able for 4-5 months. Either indoor or an outdoor grow. I prefer outdoors myself (although there is that small animal problem) & just take a piss around your plants & make a barrier of cayenne pepper.
The only problem with an 'indoor' grow is if the pigs pinch you & discover your plants inside the house, the bastards can confiscate your home (happened to a pal of mine in Utah) & your possessions...plus he lived within a 1000 ft of a schoolyard. You'll save a ton of $$$ by growing your own...& it'll keep you clean until the plants are ready for harvesting & curing. It's a win-win situation!!

That's a really good suggestion , thank you :) yeah I've got a few seeds ATM , was gonna buy some more and start an outdoor (rural bush style) grow , it's not the right season ATM though , which tbh is even better because it gives me even longer to stay clean , my only issue with growing my own is that I will have HEAPS , I'm the type who would be selling it like crazy (probably two ounces a day within the first week) , and if I had so much I would be back to square one with smoking all day , because I simply cannot control myself , for a few reasons , one I have an addictive nature (Aspergers) , two I'm only 17 and 3 I'm an ex (clean for 5 months) IV ice junkie , which has destroyed my self control . I've always been extremely interested in growing and can't wait to give it a try , hopefully by the time the season for planting comes around I'll have my use in control :)

That's a really good suggestion , thank you :) yeah I've got a few seeds ATM , was gonna buy some more and start an outdoor (rural bush style) grow , it's not the right season ATM though , which tbh is even better because it gives me even longer to stay clean , my only issue with growing my own is that I will have HEAPS , I'm the type who would be selling it like crazy (probably two ounces a day within the first week) , and if I had so much I would be back to square one with smoking all day , because I simply cannot control myself , for a few reasons , one I have an addictive nature (Aspergers) , two I'm only 17 and 3 I'm an ex (clean for 5 months) IV ice junkie , which has destroyed my self control . I've always been extremely interested in growing and can't wait to give it a try , hopefully by the time the season for planting comes around I'll have my use in control :)

I'm glad I could help, PPC...& the best of luck on staying in control of your usage. I remember being 17 (1971) & toking most of the day. Of course, back then the price of a 'lid' (between 24-28 gms) was $15 for some righteous Michoacan or Oaxacan & $20 for Acapulco Gold or Jamaican. Then about 1974, the influx of Colombian weed was the main attraction & prices more than doubled. Still, at $40/oz, it wasn't a HUGE investment.
Good luck on the grow & on controlling usage!! =D

I'm glad I could help, PPC...& the best of luck on staying in control of your usage. I remember being 17 (1971) & toking most of the day. Of course, back then the price of a 'lid' (between 24-28 gms) was $15 for some righteous Michoacan or Oaxacan & $20 for Acapulco Gold or Jamaican. Then about 1974, the influx of Colombian weed was the main attraction & prices more than doubled. Still, at $40/oz, it wasn't a HUGE investment.
Good luck on the grow & on controlling usage!! =D

fuck if only prices were still like that ! normal price for an oz as far as i kno is $300 aus dollars , i can get some in a rural area near me for 150-200 an oz which is fucking awsome for me haha , and a gram is $20 but around here (new area) $20 is a stick which is usually 1.5g . i usually get 500 from selling an o , so its profits all round anyway haha . will be awsome if i can control myself well enough by the time a grow is done to just sell it all and smoke none .

Also, that thing about seven joint years (one joint a day for seven years) well I used to smoke six joints a day every day so every year was six joint years for me and my lungs certainly were damaged by it. I developed an awful cough and suffered from shortness of breath and would feel like I was going to pass out any time I exercised.

That's intense, very intense. I gotta say i'm not really surprised you felt that fucked up. How long did you do that for

Be careful not to resort to alcohol at all if you are having trouble during a break. That stuff is a whole other ballpark and far worse for you in every way than cannabis. I'd smoke joints on the hour before having drinks even once a week, the stuff is pure body destruction.

Yeah but it sure as hell doesn't bring all the mental issues that weed does (for me) and I don't drink regularly ATM .

Also I spent a year straight drinking daily then 2 years drinking very regularly with no real harm done , cigarettes have fucked my shit up though :/ that's not saying that alcohol isnt pure poison , just stating my experience .

It's best not to make a big deal of it too. If you want to stop or cut back, just do it and try not to think about it. It's just pot right? You'll be fine long term if you just stop. And chances are you don't need it for anything. Make note and appreciate the positive changes. Today is my 1 week mark I just realized, but I don't even care I've stopped counting the days like I used to. It isn't worth worrying about. I just lost interest - I abused it too bad, got terrible side effects, life became boring, and now I've moved on. Start by slowly cutting back too, I've really stretched this out and this week has been great, as opposed to when I used to freak out trying to go from all day every day to cold turkey right away. I know a joint might be fun, but it's not worth it anymore.

I just haven't had any cravings yet at all for some reason. And I'm actually going to be able to trip out this summer since I'm not so burnt out anymore, I'm looking forward to trying a low dose of AMT and raving out sometime soon. I haven't had the drive to go out and have fun like this in ages. I'm already seeing some unexpected success as well that may not have worked out if I was high last week. Life is going to be even better without mary jane, as much as I love her. It's best to end a relationship on good terms.

In the 43 yrs of my weed use, I have NEVER heard of so many people that have problems with it. I am completely amazed!!

^^Sir, you're living in the age of medicated problems, which in turn produces people with problems. not the other way around.

I can relate to a lot of posts here, but I don't think I've found anyone with a similar situation like mine. I stopped smoking for a month [ending on this past 4/20], and since then my tolerance has been low low lowww. Doesn't take much to get me retarded still, and it's been two months of smoking daily. The last week of my finals I was high all day every day (just a tiny bowl gets me for an afternoon), and it didn't affect my tolerance whatsoever.
Also, I'm not sure what to attribute my growing depression to [i have a severely depressive personality, so it might just be another phase of blah]. I've been going through my usual health issues, but more and more things keep piling up and I have pinpointed the time of problems starting to when I decided to take a break. Since I first started smoking 2 years ago, I've been extremely focused and productive while high. Not lately, even though smoking always dramatically boosts my mood I still feel down most of the time. I tried coke a few months ago and was thinking trying a less insane upper might help me out...? eh.

What are 'medicated' problems'? You mean that there's a pill for anything & everything nowadays?

Rave , I kno what u mean with just not thinking about it , that's basically what I do but this thread always reminds me of how many days I've gone lol . I never though Id change this much without weed , I'm getting REALLY good at pool , and almost helplessly addicted to working out haha , I kept nearly passing out the other day and would t stop , probs debydtration but . Been working out 1-2 a day for the last 5 days , nearly 2 hours at a time . Didn't even think my fitness was as good as it is ATM , it's not that great but I didn't think I'd be able to workout for 2 hours at a time .

I've been saying no to maryjane pretty often now , few friends wanted to send me some weed , had opportunities in my complex , now an all day every day weed smoking person (reckons hes a friend) wants me to move in with him and his dad , not gonna happen though , easily one of the shittest/fakest people I've ever met , fucking mt druitt ....

Status
Not open for further replies.