• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lsd + maoi = game over?

Did anyone ever get round to finding out whether LSD+maoi=game over?

To my shame I havn't experimented with LSD and moclobemide yet. I'm very tempted to try mixing it with AL-LAD tho.

An MAOI is shorthand for Mono Amine Oxidase Inhibitor. Like its name implies, it only works on mono-amines such as amphetamine, methamphetamine, DMT, shrooms, mescaline, MDA, MDMA, MDE, etc. LSD is not a mono amine affected by this reaction, so taking an MAOI with it should be a failure.

If you want to supercharge your LSD (or shroom) trip, you need to have been taking therapeutic doses of lithium for several days beforehand. Don't get me wrong, though: I'm not recommending this course of action but rather just pointing out its existence.

I don't quite follow you dresden - who told you amphetamine, DMT etc are monoamines?

Found this from Gracie and zharkov research paper:

_Beta-Carboline Potentiation of LSD_

We have also experimented with potentiation of LSD by beta-carboline
containing plants. Generically, the effects follow the same patterns.
Subjectively, the dose feels three to four times more potent than it actually
is. The closed eye imagery is greatly enhanced with circular highly detailed
bright imagery visible on only 25 - 25 [sic] micrograms. On higher doses (150
- 200 micrograms) there was a feeling of an ancestral presence (we have never
felt an outside presence on LSD alone in over several hundred acid trips but
we have found it quite common when LSD is combined with another psychedelic).

The closed-eye patterns were "almost visions". That is to say they were
clearer than hypnagogic imagery but not as overwhelming or clear as DMT
visions. The visuals were more like clear dream imagery. The mood elevation
was quite astounding. At one point one of us shouted "You couldn't possibly
have a bad trip on this stuff." There were no mood swings and the buoyant
elation slowly receded to baseline over the course of the trip.

It's kind of hard to explain without resorting to molecular stick figures, but mono amine oxidase can't break down LSD's relevant nitrogen because it is in a very stable ring. The other drugs I mentioned have their beta nitrogen off in an easy accessible aliphatic side chain.

I took moclobemide with a tiny dose of MG seeds once and I got a body high so intense that I thought I would have to go to the hospital, but it's important to note that I ended up taking about 3,000 milligrams of moclobemide, because I had a pure powder and I mis-judged the dose. At first it felt like I was swarming with energy and then it seemed like it was going to get painful and it did get a bit painful but the pain leveled off and I was OK. Previously I had taken moclobemide on its own, my highest dose being about 1,000 mg, and never incurred any effects.

That sounds a little on the high side red - glad you survived it.

To be honest, I think I've already tried taking moclobemide with LSD and it didn't have any effect. Maybe I'll give the al-lad a go and have a look-see.

It's not going to work on AL-LAD either. Ergolines are not suitable substrates for mono amine oxidase so inhibiting that enzyme will have no direct effect.

LSD plus benzo's can much more easily than LSD alone amount to transient psychosis i.e. retrograde amnesia and totally ridiculous behaviour.
Watch out for those benzo's more prone to this especially e.g. flunitrazepam/rohypnol is notorious for this. Happened to me with alprazolam/xanax.

Furthermore if "game over" should mean anything particular, cut it out
please it's confusing :)
As far as I see there is
- acute physical toxicity or side effects
- chronic physical toxicity or side effects
- acute psychological toxicity or side effects
- chronic psychological toxicity or side effects

Not to mention reversibility...

I thought MAOI worked with LSD though? St Johns wort at least...
Hmmm

First of all what the hell does "game over" mean?

2nd, would a therapeutic dose of Klonopin + LSD cause the problems you are talking about?

I can't imagine why it would since I've heard people say that benzos often take anxiety away from a trip.

Dresden, maybe you should try LSD with moclobemide yourself before declaring that it can't work on a chemical level. Psychedelics catalyze many things in the brain, one or more of which may be affected by the MAOI action.

I said it has no direct effect, like it does with mono amines. Of course, moclobemide will still make DA, NE, and 5-HT last longer, but it won't be synergistic like it is with PEA, for example.

Sorry, double post.

What about an irreversible MAOI (Nardil) and 1P-LSD?

I've used the irreversible MAOI, Parnate multiple times with low doses of oral DMT and I used Nardil with a tiny dose of morning glory seeds once and both times I experienced particularly good psychedelic effects. Both Parnate and Nardil produce immediate mood-related effects that are apparently secondary to MAO inhibition.* Obviously taking any mood booster will have a positive effect on a psychedelic experience.

On another note, one can find a list of existing MAOIs here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/750761-harmine-and-its-similarity-to-serotonin

*Yes, what you felt was the GABA stimulation & Nardil being a weak releasing agent for the three major monoamines, I do as well. But it is not related to MAO inhibition. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...contact-me-195279/index24.html#post1069190434

LSD plus benzo's can much more easily than LSD alone amount to transient psychosis i.e. retrograde amnesia and totally ridiculous behaviour.
Watch out for those benzo's more prone to this especially e.g. flunitrazepam/rohypnol is notorious for this. Happened to me with alprazolam/xanax.

Furthermore if "game over" should mean anything particular, cut it out
please it's confusing :)
As far as I see there is
- acute physical toxicity or side effects
- chronic physical toxicity or side effects
- acute psychological toxicity or side effects
- chronic psychological toxicity or side effects

Not to mention reversibility...

I thought MAOI worked with LSD though? St Johns wort at least...
Hmmm
I take Xanax with every lsd trip to reduce the physical side effects. I also keep it around as an emergency “reversal agent” in higher doses.

i heard however that mushrooms + MAOI's = gameover. try looking around on erowid
Last time I did this, my trip lasted long after I wanted to be done tripping. It’s not gameover but it gives you a 12-hour+ trip at peak levels.