• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Liver health - *Mega-merged*

Yeah man, you're feeling is about right. There were studies done on rats where extracts of dandelion were causing them to churn out big loads of bile.

I actually did start taking milk thistle when I found out my liver was enflamed. It’s the only “herbal” solution I’ve ever tried because it actually has a little acceptance in the medical community (but please don’t ask me for citations). I also reduced my drinking. So I can’t say if the milk thistle had anything to do with my enzymes normalizing or not - it might have just been just because of the reduction in drinking.

Yes. Drinking before the tests can DEFINITELY cause abnormal liver function. This happened to me a few years ago, and after I stopped drinking, they returned to normal.

Take:

600mg - NAC (an amino acid, on an empty stomach)
800mg - SAM -e (400mg twice a day on and empty stomach)
175mg - Milk Thistle, 3 times a day on an empty stomach (preferably with the phytosome technology...for better absorption)
Also try Branch Chain Amino Acids, 3 times a day

I've done a ton of research on this subject and these are the best supplements. Also, drink as much green tea and/or water as you can. Avoid soda or drinks that are high in sugar and crap.

Liver function tests

The previous state I lived in, when doing a CBC blood test (the test your DR. runs when doing a physical exam) it included ALT and AST which measures your liver enzymes. Since I've moved to a different state, they don't include this in their exams. However, they do measure bilirubin etc.

Since I've had liver problems in the past, my question is: Do measuring bilirubin, Alk Phos and albumin, bun and creatine levels etc give them a big picture of how my liver is doing? Everything came out 'normal' but being the hypochondriac that I am, I still worry.

When I asked the nurse, she said that if there was a liver problem, they would be able to see it in many different ways (in proteins etc). Is this correct?

Sorry for the long post. All your input is appreciated!

The tests you got were comprehensive. Alkaline phosphatase is elevated in bile obstruction, and AST and ALT are elevated if your liver cells themselves are damaged or dying. There should be two bilirubin tests: conjugated and unconjugated. If conjugated bilirubin is elevated, this is a sign of damage to liver cells. You'd know if this was elevated, because your urine would be brownish-yellowish-green. If unconjugated bilirubin (which doesn't produce any urine color change) is elevated, this shows more of a problem with red blood cells and/or the spleen, rather than the liver. I can explain this in more detail if you want, but the point is, it's not as likely a liver problem.

If all of these tests, plus a CBC, come up normal, there's a high likelihood your liver is functioning normally, and more arcane and expensive liver tests are probably not necessary.

^^ Me too...
I'm procrastinating because I know the results are going to be bad and concerning :|

Well remember, the liver is the most resilient organ in the body. I one time had my liver enzymes come up high. It turned out, I simply was drinking too much. I stopped drinking for a while, went back to my dr and my enzymes were totally normal.

liver damage?

recently, after unknowingly eating badly dried moldy mushrooms and getting really sick, i am unable to drink alcohol without starting to shake and feel extremely nauseous. before i could drink 5, 6 shots of vodka and be all good, now i drink one and half an hour later feel like total shit.

i can smoke weed fine, im not a big drinker anyways but id rather not be walking around with a failing organ, im 18

any ideas?

Yea man, I would get checked out ASAP. Blood tests can check liver enzyme levels and your doctor can go from there.

I was looking for a post like this

I would say go get your liver tested by a doc because theres always a possibility

Liver and X

I just found out I have a lot of fat on my liver. They said it was casued my eating fatty foods, I have now stopped doing that. I did wanna know though, I eat about 4 tabs each weekend, could this have anything to do with it? Do you think E can cause fat on your liver? Is it dangerous for me to do it now that I have a fatty liver?

google these: milk thistle, dandelion, green tea, alpha lipoic acid, n-acetyl cysteine..etc etc etc

Add taurine and coffee to the list for a liver that has dealt with alcohol over indulgence. Substances that restore l-glutathione help the liver considerably. In Clean cut's list n-acetyl cysteine is the strongest in that category. l-glutathione is available as a supplement but ironicly oral l-glutathione does not raise l-gluthione levels as much as other substances can.

A fatty liver is helped out by lipotropics. Choline, l-carnintine, and others. The only objective way to really know that anything is really helping is objective tests.

If you are having any signs of significant liver problems I wouldn't mess with supplements and see a physician right away. Jaundice, upper right abdominal pain, white or lightly colored feces, whole body itching, nausea etc. are liver symptoms. Jaundice is the one that means you for sure need attention right away.

i find after a bender, i smash down a lot of water!! till i end up peeing clear. my view is that once the colour is gone the impurites might have packed there bags too.
in saying that i know you can drink to much water.

Liver:
Get fresh organic carrots.
Juice them yourself.
Drink lots of this every day.

You may find yourself getting a sore throat from this.
These are the toxins heading for your thyroid.
Eat seaweed/kelp to clear your thyroid.

Kidneys:
Get fresh watermelon.
Juice or eat at least 200g every day.

Eat asparagus every day or every other day.

Drink lots of filtered water.

Do this for a month,
you feel results.

I got more if you want more
but this is a really good start.

:)

Liver:
Get fresh organic carrots.
Juice them yourself.
Drink lots of this every day.

You may find yourself getting a sore throat from this.
These are the toxins heading for your thyroid.
Eat seaweed/kelp to clear your thyroid.

Kidneys:
Get fresh watermelon.
Juice or eat at least 200g every day.

Eat asparagus every day or every other day.

Drink lots of filtered water.

Do this for a month,
you feel results.

I got more if you want more
but this is a really good start.

:)

Not hijacking the thread, but I am interested in hearing more :)

Where could I obtain edible seaweed? Do most grocery stores carry it?

^If I were looking for edible seaweed I would go to an Asian grocery in my area.Very many different kinds available there.ever used any because I don't know how to prepare and there are so many different kinds of seaweed in Asian groceries.

all seaweed is edible except for the red mossy kind.
like the elephant kelp, u can cut the bulb, stuff with rice,mushroom,etc and bake.

to OP to clean ur liver try silius marin (milk seed thistle). but dont buy frmo whole foods. go to a real herb place like <snip>
mush cheaper, organic or wild crafted, good energy place, They sell nothing illegal. im sure there are other stores, I jsut dont know about it.

Last edited by a moderator: