• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Liver health - *Mega-merged*

is taking three 7.5/750 hydrocodone a day bad for my liver

I take three a day.usually I only take two,out of two weeks I've only taken three once.I've been taking them for about a year and a half.im not subscribed to them so I sometimes go weeks or months without taking any.I recently got into my girlfriends moms pill bottle.and have been taking them again.I've notice every once in a while I get sharp pain in my stomach that don't last very long,I'm still worried.I never take more than one at a time,and wait atleast 4 hours to take a second one.and I usually take a half of the second one and take the other half around an hour later or half an hour,and they make me hungry so I never take them without food.I'm 21 and weigh 140 lbs,I've been taking hydrocodone for about 3 years on and off.sometimes going 6 months or longer without taking any.could I be doing any damage to liver?and also what's so bad about drinking a beer or two after taking vicodin?I know they both thin your blood,that's about all I know.

Taking 2250mg APAP a day and drinking beer is not good for your liver.

Drinking alcohol on any amount of APAP is dangerous in general.

apap has put me in the hospital..thats alot of that to be taking on a daily basis..i thought i was fine and my liver was all like "im gonna quit this bitch"

stop stealing from people, especially medicine from those who need it.

Questionable morals aside, Alcohol places a great deal of stress on your liver. Effectively, the intoxication induced by alcohol consumption is due to the liver's inability to process said ethanol-solution and it finds it's way into the blood stream. We can only process around 1 unit per hour (a half ounce of pure alcohol, or anywhere between 180 to 360ml of beer which isn't much at all). There is an enzyme called ADH that metabolises the Alcohol alongwith a coenzyme in the liver called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or NAD (and also converts the glucose from carbs you eat to energy) and what doesn't get processed flows onto the heart. This slows the heart rate and drops blood pressure amongst other things. This also finds it's way to the brain and makes one feel drunk.
APAP can damage the liver (30,000 cases a year of deaths caused by liver failure/acetaminophen OD in USA and the leading cause of drug-induced liver failure) and exhibits severe hepatoxicity in surprisingly small doses and those who use Acetaminophen regularly can double their risk of liver cancer.

Combine the two often enough and you've got a recipe for disaster. They are both toxins and affect the liver negatively. At high enough doses (even just 4g daily which is the recommended maximum daily amount, shockingly), the liver can't metabolise it any more, and the excess is oxidized into a toxic metabolite. Internal antioxidant glutathione levels are depleted and it's about now that liver cells can perish.

At the very least, you should CWE that if you are doing it regularly. None of us can possibly speculate the potential damage you have done as we haven't screened your liver. It's not exactly massive doses you are taking, but you are only 140lbs. APAP becomes extremely toxic at doses of 140/150mg per kg of bodyweight so for you that's 8g give or take.
It's not even worth the risk, so at the very least do a CWE. I've done it several times and I found out I had liver damage, which has since been repaired by eating well and avoiding alcohol and drugs in general.

I would also propose that you should stop stealing drugs that aren't prescribed for you. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were suffering in pain and some little shit had stolen your drugs for a bit of fun?

This thread has no more purpose. It's not good for your liver full stop, but whether we think it's bad enough to cause damage is mere speculation at this point.
Do a CWE.
Don't drink any booze with it.
Possibly get a liver scan to be on the safe side.

If any mod wishes to re-open, let me know.
Cheers.

Supplements for liver

So im almost at the end of my first semester in college, and its just come to me how much ive been drinking. Normally ill drink once or twice a week but it tends to be pretty heavy drinking. Should i be worried about my liver if this continues all throughout college? and if so are there any good supplements to take to help reduce the liver damage? thanks

Milk thistle extract is meant to be good. I take it though I'm not a drinker.

imo the 4 most helpful liver supplements (all natural herbs) -
Dandelion Root
Milk Thistle
Burdock Root
Red Clover

Your liver is one of the most resilient organs in the body. In 6-8 weeks of no drinking you should be fine. If you're having pains on your side where your liver is located I recommend seeing a doctor.

^yep they can do some quick bloodwork and see what's goin on in there. It's definitely worth it, most insurance covers this 100% so it's at least worth checking out. Easy test that's relatively inexpensive to have done and you have peace of mind if you're worried about it.

And everyone is different so I can't say for sure that your liver won't be damaged from that, but as others have said in here, most people drink more heavily throughout college than later in life. You're young, your body can recover pretty quickly from stuff like that. You don't have to stop going out, but if you're that worried about it just try and limit the number of drinks you're having when you do go out. Make sure to stay hydrated, eat healthy, and exercise throughout the week too. Another thing I did in college was every once in a while I'd just take a complete break from drinking, anywhere from a week to a month or more. I would do it when it just felt like I needed to, ya know? A few weeks off lets your brain and liver recover a bit. Anyway, my guess is that you're probably fine, and you don't need to take any supplements.

the alpha lipoic compounds are worth a gander, in addition to some of what's been mentioned. ("ALA" and "R-ALA")

apparently beetroot is supposed to be good for liver. also Milk thistle... alhough for some reason it used to make me wake up feeling groggy and rough.

Obviously binge drinking is not going to be good for you. Though in the majority of people if these is any damage, the liver can repair itself. It takes a lot of hardcore abuse in most people to do significant damage. If you are really worried go get your liver enzymes checked...the doctor will be able to tell you where you are at rather easily...

Do you eat a lot of spicy food/fatty food? fatty food is bad for your liver but also sometimes bile ducts can become blocked because of it and it is quite painful and laying off those types of food for a while would help :)

liver detox

yes that's true it is better to use natural ways for detoxifying liver. excessive use of alcohol should be avoided to keep your
liver free from toxins. just came to know about liver active detox through liver active review while surfing web. but have not
tried yet.

spicy food is bad for the liver??

no no sorry... spicy foods can apparently irritate bile ducts near your liver which can be very painful... but doesn't mean damage per se... a good diet for a week or so would clear it up is that is the cause :).

Liver and Drug Use

Guys-

Would love some feedback on this question I have been thinking about. I know that the liver is one of the most resilient organs in the body, but how much can it handle before we are adherring it to irreversible harm?

When I think of all the vitamins, Dexedrine, Klonopin, etc, that I take, am I headed down a path of no return? I do take Milk thistle and I have a good-excellent diet/active runner. It's pretty tough to gauge when were causing harm to our liver, until its too late. Sometimes when I party too hard, there is obvious pain in my lower right abdomen but this quickly subsides a few days after. This is on rare occurences.

Anyway, would love to hear some feedback on this.

Cheers

Tomer