• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Jungle/Drum and Bass Lovers

@draver - the only way for us to be able to decide who's got the 'best' scene is if we all went on a tour and tasted the beatz that each city has to offer..
personally im in melbourne and i dont know what the beats are like anywhere else. i think we got it pretty good here.
im just glad that there is a breakbeat scene thats so vibrant.. and there are parties with good people who appreciate the breaks. enough that we get internationals every now and again.

Yeah but compared to say America Breakbeat in Melbourne is pretty small.
Oh well I can't really complain that much at least I can appreciate most types of electronic music.
------------------
Welcome to Melbourne.
Where suckling pig doesn't exist :).

i think i mite stay out of this discussion.
drum n bass smunn n baschhh!!!
wink.gif

A:>

Best DnB scene... well I have done a bit of a sample. I live in Perth but last summer tried out Melbourne and Sydney.
I would say Perth definitely has the biggest scene (number of regular nights). Compared to all other underground styles in Perth DnB is all over them, heaps more internationals have come through and more one off nights too.
I think I like the style of some of the DJs from Melbourne and Sydney better though. IMO I think DJs such as 1-LC, Trooper, Ruffnut, Matt and Kayla all structure their sets better than most Perth DJs. Not stuck on playing their newest tunes, but all played smoother and more interesting sets.
Admittedly I have only started mixing since the beginning of this year and I think I've become more critical, but I am also not saying I am better than any of them (before anyone jumps down my throat). One of Perth's best was Shuey, who has now left... also I don't think Greg Packer's sets are as exciting as they were a year ago.
Additionally I think Perth suffers a bit from too much hard and dark being played out. Though some DJs still push funkier flavours (Mike L, Klay and Adrian Sardi).
So it seems I have dribbled a lot and not really suggested which is best...maybe from a diplomatic point of view its best not to. I didn't start this thread for it to become a competition, I just want to share my excitement for this music with all the other Bluelighters!
respec'
raw
PS: Damn I couldnt resist posting again...
"Whats new?....."

yeah for sure raw.. breaks are universal. no competition intended.. i meant i am glad there is a scene IN each of our cities.. and if i make it over to perth again some day i will definitely want to check whats happening. same with the other cities.

"Check one two, engineer can you please stop drinking the guinness, I need more treble on the mic..."
First day of this tread kicked off in a mad fury...now it seems to have died down.
Anyhoo, went to another rekkid store today for lunch, and returned with the Solace EP by Substance. Ah yeah Bristol crew deliver the goods. Gunk is a tearing analog bassline workout that left my intestines in a mush. Suspicion is a class instrumental version of Hide U, Scottie dropped this one when he rolled into town. Solace another class tune as well.
Was tempted by some more V represses, but alas I need to buy food this week damnit.
peace
raw
"Engineer please turn up the microphone, please engineer?!?"
hmm wonder why they dont???

Whats with the backlash against the darkside!
Go listen to Mark N do a dnb set and you may realise why i like it.
Of course Bad Company kind of give it a bad name but theres so much good stuff as well.
But back to the vocal stuff. EZ Rollers - RS 2000. Like it!
As for the where is jungle better debate. Im from Sydney and my understanding is the Perth scene is bigger because all the ravers there listen to dnb. Whereas here they all listen to hardcore, happy and trance. Something friends and i are trying to change by doing all ages dnb things.
As for dnb radio stuff in Sydney as someone asked Montage on 2ser is all i pick up. Motion crew do a show on another station but i dont pick it up so i cant remember the name. and Sub Bass Snarl play some dnb on their show on 2ser but i dont know what time
Fat lot of good i am eh!?
To whoever mentioned Original Nuttah go check out the Dj SS Helter Skelter NY2K set side B off Napster. ORiginal rudebwoy style!
smile.gif

Oh yeah and to anyone who likes dnb and hip hop go check out Ming and FS and Zion I (both US groups). Both groups fuse the styles seamlessly. Very tight. Very good

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of harder tunes. But there is an excess of crap 2-step distorted bass that is around now and unfortunately gets played out.
Some of the best sets this year have been from the darker side; Ink and Bailey being two of the standouts.
But also one of the worst was Bad Company. I like many of their tunes (Tumpa is a slammer and Breathe is electric). But they obviously couldn't put together a set. Also Ed Rush and Optical were disappointing, some great tunes but they seemed too pissed to mix.
The first half of Doc Scott's set in Perth was brilliant lots of breaks driven tunes, which is what I love.
So definitely harder stuff has its place, but it needs to be mixed with other vibes as well to provide some sort of dynamic.
peace
raw
Can't think of a quote...

well i love dnb jungle etc but dont listen to it often. i spinning more progressive (or nu skool, whatever u want to call it) breaks. currently my fav track is: Scratch D Vs. H-Bomb - The Red Pill. fresh out on Adam Freeland's Marine Parade label, samples the matrix, if u guys are into nu skool u'll love3 this.
currently if any dj was to drop son of nitrous i would be totally 0wned like rolling on floor beggiing for tummy scratch (like a puppy) level of 0wned. oh well back to my 4/4 world......
------------------
later
sean
"reality is for people who can't handle drugs"

interesting....
BC were complete shite here in adelaide, only one rocked up and dropped some boring tunes...
also, Doc Scott's set bored me, he was much better NYE...
its great to hear opinions of other cities, i was just going on what i'd seen in other cities and heard from interstate DJ's...
gotta love 1LC and Trooper, and the perth crew were fucking awesome when they played here...
must say tho, set of the year goes to DJ Lee and Marcus Intalex, those guys completely tore it up here, although Fierce was damn close...
anyway...peace

mickey finn worked it harder than anyone else i've seen. not that i seen that many..

Its real hard at times to pick what I consider the best set I have heard this year. So many factors come into play.
Ink was clearly outstanding, tight mixing, slamming tunes and real good vibe.
Grooverider and GQ was a treat, some great tunes, but I really get tired of his abuse of the fx unit these days. And his set programming is a bit scattered.
Bailey played similarly, possibly smoother but tunes were just as hard, unfortunately there was not much of a crowd which, was disappointing.
Matrix and Fierce played a stunning set, lots of mad dubs, problem was lots of kiddies... and the MCing was excessive.
Moving Fusion, solid slamming pressure probably right up there as one of the top nights.
Doc Scott great first half for me some stunning tunes, tight mixing lots of energy, but the second half seemed to drop into an excess of amen rollouts, I like em now and then but not one after another.
Konflict had more great dubs, but the room at Digital was more of a thoroughfare which spoilt things in terms of atmosphere.
So they would be my picks. Heard some mixed reviews of Mickey Finn, from tapes I have heard he is good, but I don't like a lot of his selections. I had to clang it up at a party so I didn't get a chance to catch him myself.
Another thing is anyone out there interested in exchanging mixtapes?? From either tape packs or local sets or their own mixes???
respec'
raw
"I saw you fighting the other day,
your technique is sloppy,
you need to use your feet."

yeah okay..i tried to stay outa this thread as long as i could..oh well...
TOP 5 dnb tracks rocking my auditory cortex are: (new and old in no particular order):
1. 'music' by LTJ Bukem
Alas, this is the track that got me into electronica in the first place, and brings back many nostaglic thoughts.
2. 'blame' by Everything But The Girl, the Fabio, Grooverider, Jay Lazy REMIXES
wicked vocals, the song is just beautiful and u never could imagine 3 wicked remixes, both different and equally as good as each other.
3. 'circles' by Adam F
yeah, a bit of an anthem if u ask me..wicked rolling drums and that familiar 'tick tick tick'..old track, but still goes off.
4. 'gravity-push and pull' by Maxwell (Fellowship REMIX)
nice deep darkish track with funky maxwell vocals..hmmmmm...
5. 'witness' by Intense
nice jazzy tune..builds up real nice with the sax, and just explodes in the middle with some wicked bass , not to mention the drums.
Fuck, there are heaps more tracks as well..but limits need to be set.
ToP 5 live dnb sets (no commentry here..this is getting too involved.)
1. LTJ Bukem & MC Conrad - Aurora
2. Goldie @ POW
3. Matrix -his 30 min rotation sets were wicked
4. Bailey & MC Flux
5. 1LC- yes local boy, played the wickedest 3 hour set one nite and Soulaar..worthy of international recognition.!
later!
A:>
------------------
..spelt 'a'...
[This message has been edited by A (edited 14 October 2000).]

heheh i knew you'd come to your senses A
raw - man you certainly seen lots of acts.
yeah i managed to catch bailey n flux earlier this year at soulaar.. i loved it.. was back when i really started understanding drum&bass
..dont have that many mixtapes myself. i got a lot of more chillout breaks and more experimental-sided stuff on tape though

A: Bigup!!
Blame is class, especially J Magick remix !!
Gravity Push to Pull is with Fellowship actually (right?? thats what my label says), one of my faves I am always playing. Actually anything by Fellowship is great he was doing harder jazzy stuff for a while but more recent releases have been smoother and deeper. He has an album coming out in a while...
I'm going to a friend's Jungle theme party on the weekend (seeing as Andy C cancelled
frown.gif
)
Music jungle or animal jungle....which style should I go for....decisions, decisions???
peace
raw
"hmmm needs more bass"

Dread your hair, get a big black puffy jacket, constantly talk in the third person, talk about your boys in bristol heaps and smoke ridiculous amounts of bud in absolutely huge joints. Wicked!
How much more jungle can you get? Unless you took an elephant with you but thats just stupid.
------------------
"No sane man will dance" - Cicero (106-43 BC)
[This message has been edited by dr rico yi (edited 13 October 2000).]

Ay fer real, wikkid man bigup nuff respec'
Biggin up all headz inside this here thread.
Junglist posse is runnin' tingz down easy inside 'ere tonight, right?
Drum and bass is reprazentin see!? Got this 'ere wikkid choon aight, gonna wheel up this selecshun for ya. Time to Brockout, time to get bizzee!
Problem is I talk like this all the time! Hardly a change in mode fer me.
Funny thing, I got my mum to goto Blackmarket Records when she was in London recently, she said everyone in the store looked like versions of me...
Maybe I look like versions of them?!?
peace
raw
[This message has been edited by raw (edited 13 October 2000).]

'dis chune be so nice i wanna hear it twice.
Rewind!
Hmmm..looks like its just you and me.
Someone one else from da massive reprazent aight.

Dread your hair, get a big black puffy jacket, constantly talk in the third person, talk about your boys in bristol heaps and smoke ridiculous amounts of bud in absolutely huge joints. Wicked!
I had to double take and make sure you said Bristol and not NYC, because this is more or less a b-boy, original junglist.
smile.gif

First time I heard Original Nuttah, I was just waiting to see someone spin it live, looks like I missed it when I left early for Finn.
frown.gif
I found Trooper's set just as good though.
I think the best live set I've seen, which I admit is not heaps, had to be Trace and Matrix @ Soulaar, the Thursday after they played Tekstep. Local selectors in Melb are pretty wicked though.
Favourite dnb tune will have to be Warhead - Krust (Ram Trilogy Remix).
Blah.
------------------
Tonight you're going to see some breakin', and some rappin' and some breakin' and some scratchin' and some breakin' and some graffiti' and THEN you're going to see some more breakin'.

Some of us melb peeps were at @mos backroom last night. Anth's brother dropped a remix of roni size `who told you`. gotta say, i loved it. wish i knew what remix it was, i woulda recommended it.