• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Japanese Anime & Manga

cam: neon genesis has been out on DVD for a while, you can get it at heaps of dvd shops.
z.

VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST
Dendy Cinemas at Dendy Martin Place are screening a strictly limited season from August 22nd Vamnpire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
VAMPIRE HUNTER D is the newest film from Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll, Demon City Shinjuku) and takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where vampires and bounty hunters roam Earth's empty plains. The film is fresh from screening at the Melbourne International Film Festival and will be presented in a dubbed format.
The legendary vampire hunter, D, has been hired to track down Meier Link, a notoriously powerful vampire who has abducted a human woman. D’s orders are strict - find Charlotte Elbourne at any cost. For the first time D faces serious competition in the Markus Brothers, a family of vampire hunters, who were hired for the same bounty. D must intercept Meier and conquer hostile forces on all sides in a deadly race against time. Despised by vampires for his profession and by humans for the undead blood in his veins, D relentlessly pursues his prey… for a price!
Showing daily at these times 4.00pm 6.30pm and 8.45pm.
This film rocks IMO :)

what haste said. i even skipped class to go catch it during the filmfest bcos it was the last screening and i didnt think they would show it again.
has noone here watched Ranma1/2?
heres a quick intro -
Saotome Ranma, son of Saotome Genma, is dragged off by his father on a martial arts training expedition to China, where they both become the unfortunate victims of a certain set of magical hot springs (Jyusenkyo). There are over a hundred springs at this site, each of which is cursed. The curse is that anyone that falls into a spring takes on the body of the first creature to drown in that spring --- but only whenever s/he is splashed with cold water. Thus, Ranma, who fell into the Spring of the Young Girl (where a young girl drowned long ago), turns into a girl when splashed with cold water. His father turns into a panda. The only way to undo the transformation is to get splashed with hot water. Of course, Ranma and his father aren't the only victims of these cursed springs...

oh I've heard of it Ghost but I'ver yet been able to get my hands on it - well I've been aiming to import for some time but keep getting side tracked with local releases!

*****JAPANIME 02*********
Dendy Cinemas presents, in association with Madman Entertainment, JAPANIME 02 - a celebration of the very best Japanese animation, and a showcase of the sophistication, excellence, innovation, and diversity possible within the animation medium.
The JAPANIME 02 Festival will open with the Australian premiere of Princess Mononoke director Hayao Miyazaki's highly-anticipated masterpiece SPIRITED AWAY - the highest grossing theatrical release ever in Japan, and the first animated feature to win the prestigious Golden Bear at this year's Berlin Film Festival. SPIRITED AWAY screens courtesy of Niche Pictures.
JAPANIME 02 has also secured the Australian premiere of Perfect Blue director Satoshi Kon's MILLENNIUM ACTRESS, which is the first foreign language animated feature to be picked up for distribution by U.S. studio Dreamworks. Other highlights of the festival include Australian premieres of the hugely popular COWBOY BEBOP MOVIE, one of the most entertaining anime features of recent times; UTENA, the latest pinup girl on the gay and lesbian film festival circuit; and PATLABOR 3, PRINCESS ARITE. The fully restored and digitally re-mastered AKIRA - the film credited with introducing anime to legions of fans in the West. The re-mastered AKIRA features a new translation that is closer in meaning and tone to the original Japanese version.
The increasing use of technology in animation is evident in a number of films, such as the fully digital CGI features BLUE SUBMARINE No 6, AURORA, and the stunning 2D/3D animated fantasy A TREE OF PALME. A TREE OF PALME is fresh from a midnight session in the Melbourne International Film Festival last month.
JAPANIME 02 also features sessions on the work of independent directors who defy the corporate ethic of Japan, showcasing the work of directors such as Koji Yamamura. Plus a program of films based on the work of Rumiko Takahashi, the most popular manga writer in Japan and one of the nation's richest women.
These are just some of the films in an outstanding program of over 30 features and shorts, plus forums and guests. JAPANIME 02 will also have four family sessions on the weekend, including nostalgia sessions with old favourites such as PRINCE PLANET.
To be the first to know about the JAPANIME 02 program, events and tickets, people can subscribe to the JAPANIME email list by sending an email to: [email protected] (Please include "subscribe" in the subject field of the email.)
JAPANIME 02 FESTIVAL DATES:
Melbourne: Kino Cinemas - October 30 - November 4
Sydney: Dendy Opera Quays - October 16 - 21
Brisbane: Dendy Cinemas - October 24 - 28
I'm so there :)

Originally posted by haste:
*****JAPANIME 02*********
Sydney: Dendy Opera Quays - October 16 - 21

omfg! definitely going... wonder if they'll have a more detailed schedule up on their webpage. don't really wanna see all of them.
Dweller :)

OMG I loooooove anime
Akira, GitS, Lain, Boogypop, Cowboy Bebop the list goes on...
Metropolis also rocked it big time - esp on the big screen.
I CANT WAIT for the japanime thang at the dendy and if anyone wants 2 organise a Sydders meet-up, pencil me in.
Also: Has anyone seen Ginga Testsu no Yoru [Night on the Milky Way Railroad]?. That's my all-time favourite and I can't get a copy of it anywhere - argh! Lemme know if u see it somewhere - it stars cats Giovanni & Campanella...

has noone here watched Ranma1/2?
I've been watching Ranma 1/2 since I was a kid! Fucking classic!! Grew up on that shit... :)
I also watched a series called "Slamdunk" when I was younger... but no-one seems to have heard of it.
I recently bought a NGE Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion box set... looked authentic but had fobby subtitles that flashed on screen for about 8 nanoseconds hahaha, couldn't understand half of it. Been waiting for it for years... looks like I'll have to go out and buy it again :(

Originally posted by Otaku:

I recently bought a NGE Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion box set... looked authentic but had fobby subtitles that flashed on screen for about 8 nanoseconds hahaha, couldn't understand half of it. Been waiting for it for years... looks like I'll have to go out and buy it again :(

Madman have released Death & Rebirth locally and will be releasing EOE in October, along with a box set of the whole series *drools*
Some other upcoming releases locally are...
ARMITAGE POLYMATRIX - 18 Sep, 2002
LOVE HINA 1 - 18 Sep, 2002
LOVE HINA 2 - 18 Sep, 2002
ORPHEN 6 - 18 Sep, 2002
RUROUNI KENSHIN 7 - SHADOW OF THE WOLF - 18 Sep, 2002
VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU 1 - INITIATION - 18 Sep, 2002
VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU 2 - HAUNTING - 18 Sep, 2002
COWBOY BEBOP V3 - 9 Oct, 2002
COWBOY BEBOP V4 - 9 Oct, 2002
GUNDAM WING OPERATION 3 - 9 Oct, 2002
GUNDAM WING OPERATION 4 - 9 Oct, 2002
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: THE END OF EVANGELION - 9 Oct, 2002
Rurouni Kenshin 8 - Ice Blue Eyes - 9 Oct, 2002
COWBOY BEBOP V5 - 13 Nov, 2002
GUNDAM WING OPERATION 5 - 13 Nov, 2002
HELLSING V1 - IMPURE SOULS - 13 Nov, 2002
HELLSING V2 - BLOOD BROTHERS - 13 Nov, 2002
LOVE HINA 3 - 13 Nov, 2002
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION COLLECTION - DVD BOX SET 13 Nov, 2002
ROBOTECH: MACROSS SAGA - DVD BOX 01 13 Nov, 2002
Rurouni Kenshin 9 - Heart of the Sword - 13 Nov, 2002
VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST - 13 Nov, 2002
VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU 3 - ILLUSION - 13 Nov, 2002
(These are DVD releases)

So thats what Gendo Ikari meant by the Human Instrumentality Project......
bahaha
*shudder*

Originally posted by haste:

Madman have released Death & Rebirth locally and will be releasing EOE in October, along with a box set of the whole series *drools*

box set of the whole series?! bastards! if i knew that i wouldnt have bought them individually :\ i just bought death and rebirth, waiting for eoe b4 i watch them together :D

Ahhhh 4 u DragonBall Z fans u r going 2 love the next few sagas i had 2 get them online but thay rock u thought cell was powerfull well think again there is a new big bad guy called Buu and when i say big i mean fat and not one of the z fighters can kill this guy and when u thought that goku couldent do much more he transforms into a supersayin 3 really cool not saying anymore
here is a site 2 download from.
http://www.planetvegetta.tk/

slamdunk comic book series - a mate had them when we were teens. read them all but i cant remember most of it.
:)

Originally posted by vurtomatic:

box set of the whole series?! bastards! if i knew that i wouldnt have bought them individually :\ i just bought death and rebirth, waiting for eoe b4 i watch them together :D

hehe, I've held off buying them for this reason - its been on the cards for awhile, but now its a reality :D

Mmmm.. Neon Genesis. love the movies after the series. Asuka cutting sick like that! phwoar!
Yes. Anime is one of my more special pastimes and i've seen a few recently that blew me clear out of the water.
the Cowboy Bebop series although a while ago really got me back into things. it has energy going for it. especially some of the fight scenes.. like a whipcord.
Trigun. Love the dramatic seriousness dissolving into rampant stupidity that's so delightfully characteristic of anime, no matter how much gravitas it might have.
and last week I saw the Ruronu Kenshin prequel series. Slightly more sombre than the OVA, i've been told but I think I appreciated it all the more for it. so very, very Japanese.. plenty of wabi sabi goin on there. (no.. not horseradish paste(bukkoroshite yaru!!)).
Directly after that, thinking that any more Anime would spoil the sweet melancholy I was feeling, I saw
F L C L
(pronounced furi-kuri)
it's odd. i'll give it that. I also loved it. It's so out there, you sit there, mouth agape exclaiming loudly WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!?
girls on vespas crowning people with a guitar.. stylistically odd as well but strangely captivating. the characters confuse, but you can really feel for them in an oddly familiar way.
i'll leave it there before I sound like a spruiker for a video store. ahem.
go and buy/rent/borrow/steal anime. now.

Any number of people download/collect Anime on their Computers?
Might be worth, a big get together/lan/burn session ? :)