Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Japanese Anime & Manga

They were done by the same studio - Ghibli

Spirited Away is direct by Hayao Miyazaki
Grave.... is directed by Isao Takahata

fk it. The package of the Grave of the Firelflies DVD was so disappointing that I'm now waiting for a better looking pack. Madman took the cheepie option with this release :(

I haven't seen the local release yet, but what do you mean by cheap looking? artwork?

My R1 copy is quite nice :p

white plastic case with a cover that looks like it was colour photocopied. It almost looks bootleg.

I logged onto the Madforums to have a whinge..only to find there was a 40 reply thread on it already. It turned into a 'why can't Grave be like the Spirited Away LE release with digipack'?

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they are going to repackage it anytime soon so I'm going to have to buy it anyway...looks too cheap for a 40 bux release. :(

Thats unlike Madman to have crappy packaging - hmmm seems like the all mightly $$$ is starting to rule their hearts :(

I hope they haven't had any problems transfering it over to PAL - gives us a report when you get it.

hmm...yay, i'm getting a free copy of grave of the fireflies in the next few days - i'll report back once i've seen it. thanks for the info, haste :)

Just saw Spirited Away last night.

Absolutely fantastic film.

Have seen most of Cowboy Bebop which is also sweet :)

I have grave..i am happy but I am also sad. But it's a must have either way.

I seen a copy of Madman's release and I can see what you mean by it looking cheap, that white case sucks - much prefer the black case of the R1 release.

Still, whats on the disc is all that matters :)

hey haste, what r some good anime fansub groups to check out?

and on a sidenote, are there websites that track foreign films?

Last edited:
Vurt some of my favourite groups that I lean towards are:

Anime-Keep - probably my fav - did an excellent job with Avenger, Hundred Stories, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Scrapped Princess, Full Metal Panic and also current series Full Metal Alchemist and Monster.

ANBU who do alot of joint projects with Anime-Keep such as FMA and Naruto with AnimeOne. Also picked up a great new series called Madlax based of an excellent manga!

AnimeOne Very good group that did an excellent job on Ghost in the Shell series before they dropped it due to liscencing (Laughing Man Fansubs finished the series though and did a good job). I'm currently following them for Bakuretsu Tenshi, Galaxy Railways (joint project with Live Evil),

Ani-Kraze Another fav of mine who did an excellent job on Dragon Drive. Following them for Paranoia Agent, Yugo Negotiator, Gungrave.

Other notable groups are Live Evil (doing an excellent job subbing Condor Hero), Anime Kingdom (although I think they've been a little dead of late), Anime-Cookies, We Suck, Anime-Empire, Elite Fansubs, Lunar, Ricebox (although they disbanded, but were legendary for their small encode sizes and high quality, such as Witch Hunter Robin), Soldats, The Triad.

Of course there is heaps more, but these are the ones I look out for when it comes to unlicenced series. Then there is the dark world of Baka Updates that lists groups doing licenced series and there are countless groups doing DVD rips.

A couple of weeks before the release of Mamoru Oshii's eagerly awaited follow-up to Ghost in the Shell, the cult cyberpunk anime that proved such a key influence on the Matrix films, an exhibition entitled Dolls of Innocence opened at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo. It showcased a number of works whose influence is heavily saturated within this second movie, including the twisted, disproportionate foetal forms of Hiroko Igeta, the grotesque ensemble of transmogrified bodyparts stitched together ad hoc by Etsuko Miura and the most crucial impetus according to Oshii, the heavily eroticised doll sculptures of German surrealist Hans Bellmer (1902-1975).

ghost in the shell 2: innocence