• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Japanese Anime & Manga

I recently went to see an animated japanese movie at the Dendy in Martin Place (the day after Altitude) called Metropolis, and I would recommend it highly to anyone who considers themselves a fan of anime.
The movie follows the adventures of a young boy (Kenichi) and his uncle (Shunsaku Ban) as they arrive in Metropolis, a hi-tech steel and concrete paradise, to track down and arrest a renegade scientist called Dr. Laughton. However, the pair are swept up in the evil machinations of the aristocratic Duke Red and his psychotic son Rock as they plan to take over the city using the Ziggurat, a giant building of stupendous power built by the Duke. They also run into the mysterious robot Tima, who is built in the image of Duke Red's dead daughter and who holds a mysterious link to the Duke's plans.
The characters are penned in the style of Osamu Tezuka (of Astroboy fame and creator of the original Metropolis comics), and their neat simplicity contrasts interestingly with the gorgeously detailed computer generated backdrops.
The soundtrack is also superb with a bold use of rag-time jazz and dixieland that adds real character and flair to the futuristic mega-city.
I suggest that you all check it out. It's quite unlike anything you've ever seen before.
B00005V4XG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[ 13 August 2002: Message edited by: Macksta ]

Long time no see Haste.
I thought you were too old for this shit(in your own words, and that was a long bloody time ago, so you'd be even older now wouldnt ya, if possible ;) )
umm getting back on track now...
I was thinking no one was going to mention the Studio Ghibli films. And then Ghost did. 5 points to her :) (where did you get that 10vcd set ghost, id be very interested to know cause I still havent seen Grave of the fireflies ).
Princess Mononoke shows at the Astor every cpl of months (october 19th its on again) which definatly has to be checked out. Hayao Miyazaki(the director) is one of the most respected names in animation. It was the biggest grossing film in japanese history until last year, when miyazaki released his newest-Spirited away(which i have just spent two bloody days downloading so it better be good!). Also My Neighbour Totoro, which Ghost mentioned, Porco Rosso, Laputa, Nausicaa etc etc. They all kick ass and are not your standard anime robots hard sci fi sorta thing(tho that sorta thing kicks ass as well).
There is a Melbourne Anime Society, where every cpl of weeks down at monash clayton campus they show new anime. You can also borrow videos for free from them. Most of it isnt out yet or wont be released. I think on the 24th of August they will actually be showing miyazaki's new film so go check it out, probably two years before it ever comes to a cinema here.
oh and yeh, Volcano High Did Kick Ass! Pity the Miff fucked up on Avalon tho(New film by the Ghost in the shell director). Someone got a print without subtitles in. Arghh
Anyways I have wrote too much.
I have food to eat and beds to sleep in.
Cya
[ 12 August 2002: Message edited by: MorpheusDaq ]

*shit, even daq is back, i check this place once in like 6 months, and look whos back, hjaste n daq..hehe creepy..the old skoolers ;) , are comin out to play*
yeah, animie has always gone over my head....perhaps i should be enlightened, whats good for a novice?

oh and id just like to say that i LOVED "the wings of honiamese" (sp) that was one of the most beautiful movies ive ever seen. the music, animation and story were all simply stunning.... I used to have it on tape, I wonder if I taped over it? I think Ill hunt it down :)

heya Daq! fankssssss for the 5 points! *MWAH* :D
Spirited Away was beautifully made - from what i can remember since i watched it ages ago. damn these missing bits in my brain! i remember a scene with the little girl flying through the air with a whole horde of different spirits. that was cooooool... :) (unless i misremembered ;) )
yeh i planned to watch Avalon as well. they not only sent the wrong film, they damaged it after the first screening, which caused them to cancel the second one. i was gonna watch it anyway but... bleah.
19th Oct eh? putting it in my calendar.
harrasser - i know what u're saying. i find it really funny too. especially the ones with huge dicks flying around (Legend of the Overfiend i believe) and fuctup black widow/monster chicks in Wicked City... but it gets tiring after awhile. mmm.. this is coming from someone who appreciates toilet humour. ;)
Macksta - Metropolis looks wikked as.
edit:
Daq - i got the set from Singapore. for like 30bux. u can borrow it if u like.
[ 12 August 2002: Message edited by: GhOst ]

*pulls walking stick out and whacks Daq on the head* disrespectful youth ;)
E*van start with the basics that aren't too involved but fun at the same time. Try and get your hands on M.S.Nadesico - it's a funny series and a good intro into anime and the mecha genre (assuming thats what you like, big robots, sci fi and all) Also Gundam Wing (on Foxtel if u have it) is a good series aswell.
I personally keep away from all the mecha stuff (with the exception of Eva - its so much more) and look for the more thought provoking animes, such as Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and the soon to be released Cowboy Bebop.
Ghost - try and check out the anime Perfect Blue - very good :)
And as much as this hurts me, props to Daq for mentioning the anime club - and I thought he was totally useless ;)
Other anime clubs include:
SYDNEY
JAUWS
Sydney Anime Society
AnimeUNSW
BRISBANE
Brisbane Anime Society
MELBOURNE
Melbourne Anime Scoiety
WWWA

ohh i watched that Mangna cartoon X Haste and it was cool it sort of spins u out the film was well done. But people do not watch it if u r stoned cos u wont understand it :)
And Dragon Ball Z Rocks :)
[ 13 August 2002: Message edited by: Kitters ]

Anyone know when Macross II the movie comes out on Region 4 DVD? Or better yet, how can I dezone my PS2 (without voiding the warranty) :)
I havent seen Macross II scheduled for release on Region4 on any websites as yet.

Perfect Blue looks good, hastey. :)
mmm... as far as i know, there isnt any way to tamper with your PS2 without voiding the warranty. but many of my mates have still done it though.

Kitters - X is definately a confussing movie at first and it can take multliple sittngs before you fully understand it. For this reason alot of people bag it rather than giving it a chance. The movie is in direct relation to the manga itself and therefore I get the feeling the producers were assuming people would have read the manga first - bad move on their part. Definately an anime that grows on you :)
Just don't get me started on DBZ...... ;)
Mayday - the chances of Macross II being released on R4 are very slim. Macross II the series was not a huge success like it was anticipated and the movie has many holes and inconsistencys (sp?). Madman, who release all R4 titles here in Australia are not prepared to take the risk on this release at this stage.
Ghost - a must see :)

Did anyone see My Beautiful Girl, Mari at the Film Festival? It was Korean rather than Japanese, and the story was bring as hell, but the dreamscapes were some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen.
I had to leave A Tree of Palme early to see Bailey and MC Tali, but it looked nice... slow, but nice.

I wanted to see A Tree of Palme, but it was showing here in Melbourne just before Manifest (anime festival) and I needed to save my cash :(
Ghost - I'm not sure if you've heard or seen the movies Ring and Ring 2 - they will be showing at the Lumiere and Classic Cinema - Ring (Sept 13) and Ring 2 (Oct 18 ) . I've yet to see any of them but apparently they have been getting rave reviews! Well Ring has been out for awhile and currently available on DVD, but should be even better on the big screen.
[ 21 August 2002: Message edited by: haste ]

I definitely recommend seeing Ring for the first time in a cinema. It's not really scary unless you're totally immersed in the film :)

dim_mak: dont you mean, exactly 11,000rpm :)
*draws on smoke Bunta style*
ahhhh :)

ive heard of Ring and Ring 2 for awhile now hastey, but never thought of watching them bcos i didnt have a good impression from the stills i received via emails (still shots of the scary bits sent by well-meaning friends). u reckon its worth seeing?

I'm only going by the hype thats been going around about these films - but mind you alot of that hype has been through Madman (Oz dvd distributor of the films) and their bulletin board. I'm gonna pencil the first one in and see how I go :)
Also this months releases:
NGE - Death and Rebirth - The first of two alternate endings to Neon Genesis. I seen it at Manifest and it rocks :) The second alternate ending, End or Evangelion is scheduled for October. Also, there is a box set of all the series to be released.
Cowboy Bebop - First two volumes out now - heralded as one of the best anime series to come out of Japan - animation is just gorgeous!
Ruruoni Kenshin - Vol 6 - sensational, but I'm biased cause its my favourite series. Vol 6 end of the Tokyo arc and with Vol 7 (Sept release) we begin the Kyoto arc, and it really starts to kick arse :)
Boogiepop Phantom - Vols 3 + 4 - these definately need to be in my possesion!
Orphen - Volume 5
Gundam Wing - Vols 1 + 2
[ 22 August 2002: Message edited by: haste ]

haste - good to see ur still alive and kickin! And nice thread - I'm in LOVE with the good ol' japanimation!
I can still remember when I was a real youngin (I'm talkin 4-6 years old) and bawling my eyes out when in Astroboy when someone died - I think it was his sister / girlfriend or something like that.
Then there was Neon Genesis. Ooooohhhhh yeah! I was hooked on that show - I never missed an episode. I'd even turn off all the lights in the house, krank the volune, blow a bifta and get RIGHT into it!
But does anyone remember a series called "Ulysis"? I can remember this show from when I was about 3 years old, and it really scared me shitless! I'll be amazed if anyone can remember this show, coz every manga/japanimation fan I've spoken to can't remember it - but then again, I haven't really asked anyone older than about 23.
I'll be buying that Neon Genesis series if it comes out on DVD tho!!!

I guess you mean
Uchu Densetsu Ulysses 31 ("Space Legend Ulysses 31")
Came out in Japan in 1988

^^^^
Yeah, that could be it, but DAMN I'm sure I was younger when I used to watch it!!
I'd love to track down some episodes of that, and even some episodes of "The Lost City of Gold". Was that a Japanimation, or something else?

Hey Cam :)
I've never heard of the Lost City.... so I don't think its Anime - I could be wrong though?