• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin I.V. Heroin Tips/Tricks Wanted

Where to buy syringes

Sterile syringes can be bought at farm/animal supply stores. These stores sell medications for farm animals and sterile syringes and needles.

I was stuck once with only a 5ml barrel and a 22guage fit....used the same needle for a month...that vein is now gone. sigh. I would really say don't shoot- I really second Tchort's post...really. I would have injected my breakfast if I could have. Eventually you WILL end up risking EVERYTHING without a second thought. Everything that is precious and beautiful, everything you treasure- you will watch yourself drag it up onto that altar to get a fix. Not preaching- just been there and could go back there in a heartbeat if I let myself. In regards to harm reduction- I found a really good way of hiding the bruising from that cursed 22guage was to add epsom salts and soak the arm in scalding hot water/salts for fifteen minutes. If you have to worry bout someone checking out your arms...gawd...just don't do it...

I was stuck once with only a 5ml barrel and a 22guage fit....used the same needle for a month...that vein is now gone. sigh. I would really say don't shoot- I really second Tchort's post...really. I would have injected my breakfast if I could have. Eventually you WILL end up risking EVERYTHING without a second thought. Everything that is precious and beautiful, everything you treasure- you will watch yourself drag it up onto that altar to get a fix. Not preaching- just been there and could go back there in a heartbeat if I let myself. In regards to harm reduction- I found a really good way of hiding the bruising from that cursed 22guage was to add epsom salts and soak the arm in scalding hot water/salts for fifteen minutes. If you have to worry bout someone checking out your arms...gawd...just don't do it...

How did you use a 22g needle for a month? That sounds painful to use once, let alone repetitively.

It shouldn't be too difficult to acquire hundreds of clean, sterile, smaller gauge needles.

I have noticed that sometimes it comes very very dark kinda odd so I guess the color option doesnt always apply

Looking for some insight

I am an Honors student writing a thesis on the representation of heroin addiction in contemporary cinema. I was really struck by everyone's openness on this forum and I was curious what you thought about:

- Trainspotting (1996)
- Requiem for a Dream (2000)
- Candy (2006)

What was your overall reaction to the film(s)? Did they make any mistakes in representing anything involving addiction - the cooking up, the injection, the withdrawal, the lifestyle, etc.? Did you see any of them before you started using, and did the films have a different effect on you after using? What appealed or did not appeal to you in the films? Were the highs well represented, or did they fall short of showing any of the good or bad aspects? If you ever went through full withdrawal, were your experiences similar to those of the characters? Did any characters in particular come off truly for you?

That's the main stuff I am interested in knowing at the moment. Any comments at all would be extremely appreciated. If I uncover something interesting in these discussions I may use a quote in my thesis (please let me know if you do not wish for me to add your username in my work), but I should remind you that only 3 people would be reading my work, it's of course not being published!

I'm really excited to read your comments, and by all means watch the films again (or for the first time) because they're all absolutely fantastic! =D

seeking info - i recommend watching "basketball diaries" with leonardo dicaprio.

Requiem for a dream seems overplayed. ie. the guy having to cut off his arm after injecting repeatedly in the same spot. he definitely had otehr veins, and also his vein right there wouldve blown out and gotten all scarred up before getting to that state.
However, the willingness to do anything to get the drug is completely true. like when he goes to take his tv to the pawn shop every morning.
also the fact that you absolutely need to save something for the morning or whenever in order to prevent withdrawls. i remember his girlfriend gets all pissed that he used all the dope and that theyd be all sick in the morning.

trainspotting didnt really hit home for me. dont really remember any good parts or anything

I am an Honors student writing a thesis on the representation of heroin addiction in contemporary cinema. I was really struck by everyone's openness on this forum and I was curious what you thought about:

- Trainspotting (1996)
- Requiem for a Dream (2000)
- Candy (2006)

What was your overall reaction to the film(s)? Did they make any mistakes in representing anything involving addiction - the cooking up, the injection, the withdrawal, the lifestyle, etc.? Did you see any of them before you started using, and did the films have a different effect on you after using? What appealed or did not appeal to you in the films? Were the highs well represented, or did they fall short of showing any of the good or bad aspects? If you ever went through full withdrawal, were your experiences similar to those of the characters? Did any characters in particular come off truly for you?

That's the main stuff I am interested in knowing at the moment. Any comments at all would be extremely appreciated. If I uncover something interesting in these discussions I may use a quote in my thesis (please let me know if you do not wish for me to add your username in my work), but I should remind you that only 3 people would be reading my work, it's of course not being published!

I'm really excited to read your comments, and by all means watch the films again (or for the first time) because they're all absolutely fantastic! =D

Trainspotting had its moments. The scenes that stuck with me were: when Ewan McGregor's character does a shot in his dealers apartment, falls back, and fades down, down, into the carpet. In the film he OD'd from the shot, but I always felt like it somewhat accurately portrayed the feeling of a extremely strong(not always OD level) shot. That feeling of fading far away.
The other scene is the (in)famous WDing in the bedroom sequence. The visual hallucinations were a little over the top. However, the horror felt by an addict at the moment when you realize it's time to detox and nothing's gonna save you from it, I felt was skillfully delivered when his parents shut and locked the door. Also, the sweating, agitation, and the transformation of your own bed into a site of horrors, both physical and mental, were accurately portrayed.

Requiem for a Dream was pretty hit and miss. I agree the whole, he lost his arm because of his habit, was a little over the top. Amputation's a potential reality for someone who's allowed abscesses to fester and infect. But in 99% of cases, if a injection site is becoming problematic, an addict will switch to a different vein. Infections can be dealt with fairly easily, if caught early.
The one sequence from the film that sticks with me because of its effectiveness, was the amphetamine psychosis experienced by the mother. Obviously that's not dope related, but I thought they did a good job representing it. The sped up sequences, auditory and visual hallucinations, paranoia, I felt were all effectively gotten across.
The premise that a major cities dope supply would COMPLETELY dry up was also kind of stupid, IMO. I'm sure most of us remember a period of time in our various cities, after a bust or some shit, when things got fairly thin.
The dope gets stepped on harder, some smaller timers run out, but, at least IME, if you look hard enough, you can always find something.

Never saw Candy. I'll have to.

As far as the techniques in the films, and their accuracy, I'd have to go back and look. I don't remember anything standing out that was either ridiculously stupid, or accurate. Again, I'd have to go back and really watch the techniques being used(when the tie's released, what type of syringe is being used, etc) before I could offer an opinion on that.
Good luck with your paper.

Never saw Candy, but out of the other two, Trainspotting depicted heroin use and addiction more accurately than the other. I read Trainspotting, and it was obvious the author did his research, as there weren't many inaccuracies as far as the drug technicalities are concerned.

The comments are so very very appreciated. Please feel free to bring up anything else that comes to mind.

In reply to spasoz - i know The Basketball Diaries very well but i chose Requiem instead for my American film to study because it depicts very stylised representation of drug use, so it's quite wealthy for analysis.

As an add-on question:

- What are your thoughts on the ways in which the films affect the SENSES?

just wondering why its bad to pad your spot with alchohol before rather than after..? I've been doing the opposite for a long time, but I am looking for ways to reduce the visibility of my tracks.

requiem for a dream was a good movie, and I really like the directing style. IMO the book is a more realistic depiction of heroin addiction, but the movie at least scares most people away from shooting heroin.

Basketball Diaries was the only movie that really triggered the fuck out of me though. That was the most realistic seeming one (then again, I live and use in New York, so it's familiar)

For the kid Doing the project check out these expierences from erowid

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=72145

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=42965

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=577

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=61854

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=60513

The first 3 are about heroin and the last about iv oxycodone, they really sum up addiction to v opiates pretty well. The greatest two greatest qoutes I've heard is one:

"so hey I'm a junky, but unlike most people atleast I'm happy"

and where Matt Dillon describes what iv opiate use is like in the movie drugstore cowboys, not about heroin, but the best junky movie about iv opiates in my opinion.

Btw I'm not trying to glorify drug use or anything, it's a long hard road once you get addicted, but these all really stuck out at me.

What are your thoughts on the ways in which the films affect the SENSES?

The only way those films affected my senses, was increasing my desire to use. I've watched both those films in a relatively "cleaned up" state, and, to a certain degree, they both had me jonesing.
Jonesing is kind of like that feeling you get in your stomach, when your old, dirty girlfriend is coming back to town. A girl you love. You know she's horrendous trouble, but you also know she's horrendous fun.
Your stomach gets a little upset. Your energy level is heightened. You get little chills, thinking about past experiences. You can try to fight the feelings and sensations off, but that usually only makes it worse.

Trainspotting made me curious the first few times I watched it. When it came out, I was very young, and was still wrapped up in bud, coke, ecstasy.
But for the last 4-6 years that I've used opiates off and on, I'll usually turn off either of those films if I'm flipping through, and one happens to be on. Trainspotting makes me want to get some dope. RfaD makes me want to get some amphet's. Neither jones is what I would term overwhelming.

The shows that do give me overwhelming cravings are all these "real life" addiction shows. Mainly "Intervention" and its ripoff, "Addicted." I can't deal with that shit, but I still find myself watching sometimes.
There was a recent episode of Addicted that made me literally sick. It was about a couple that were addicted to speedballs. The females veins were pretty much gone. I'm also at the point in my use where finding a good vein can be a major chore.
Watching her dig around, have her SO dig around for her, bleed from all the missed spots, cry, get desperate and crazy. Then, having to look at her syringe, half filled with blood from blood vessels, and her still trying, made me want to crawl in a hole, and get some dope, at the same time. Opiate addiction is a fucked up mess.

I realize this thread's supposed to be about tips. If you also have trouble finding veins and/or registering, I've found a few things to be helpful.
If your veins don't pop out, try taking a hot shower before your shot, or at least running your intended injection spot underneath hot water for a few. Doing some push-ups, or a few curls with a dumb-bell can work wonders as well.
If you have trouble registering, make sure you are hydrated. If you usually do a shot right when you get up, set your alarm for an hour or two before you intend to use.
Get up, and down a glass, or glasses of water or Gatorade. Then go back to sleep until your intended dosing time. You'll typically find hitting much easier. I find myself dehydrated a lot, and it's almost impossible to get a vein to register in that state.
Also, tie off tightly, but not too tight. I've seen people tie the tourniquet so tight that they are actually twisting their veins in the wrong direction. This obviously makes it much harder to hit.
I recommend using one of the rubberized tourniquet's that are available at any needle exchange. I know some people love to use their belts, etc. Give the needle exchange ties a try. Plus you can roll them up real small, and then they'll fit well into a little fix kit.
When you're properly tied off, pump your fist, and/or flex your arm. Doing that helps to fill the desired veins with more blood, sticking them out even more. If your veins tend to move, have a significant other, or a friend, hold the vein in place while you insert the needle. Just don't fucking poke them. Guaranteed that friend will never help you again.
Once you're in/registered, release the tie if you can. In my case, releasing the tie tends to cause the vein to roll, and I end up out again. I know this isn't recommended, but if you have the same problem, I've never had a complication with leaving the tie on, and very slowly injecting the dope. Never jam the plunger down in, cause you can rupture a vein. But if you go nice and slow, you should be fine.
Re-register, just to make sure you're still in, halfway through the shot. Sometimes, especially if you shake, you can end up going through the vein, mid-injection. Never hurts to check.
Sorry if any of this has already been gone over. I'm sure I repeated some peoples tips already. Just figured I should add something to the intended thread.

After tying off I feel around for the vein and mark it with my finger nail. Then I see where I would need to inject so that the needle can go in my arm all the way and register at that point. I find it a lot easier to administer that way. I do still tend to stop halfway, pull back again to make sure I am still in the vein but for me I do generally feel pain when I am not. I just get paranoid.

I saw someone post about cleaning before or after. I clean the area before AND after with hydrogen peroxide and then use hand sanitizer and then use Neosporin. Well, 80% of the time. :) If I am at home I am always perfect but when I'm doing it in my car or some pull off, I just use the hand sanitizer and wash the area and my hands with water and soap. Oh, but I found that doing it my hands they still got scar marks even tho I was sanitary. I guess the skin there is just too delicate. Like someone else said you get to the point where you just want to hit and a lot of other stuff goes out the window.

usually miss shots happen when your really hanging out for a taste and your hands are shaking and your not taking all the proper care you know you should take, you just want that gear inside as fast as possible
thats what I was thinking!

I wanted to mention this, but forgot...

alcohol wipe before injection = great idea.
alcohol wipe after injection = bad idea.

I might have missed ther explanation, but can you tell me why this is so bad? I have been doing it for years...