• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin I.V. Heroin Tips/Tricks Wanted

Purgex said:
could someone just answer a question i have in regards to this. i have shot a couple times myself and was never aware of this. when i shot and pulled back to try and verify a hit, when i hadn't hit yet and pulled back it seems as if there is a air bubble that gets sucked in. I'm assuming this is suction being created. but how would i continue to proceed if there is not air in the syringe?

thanks for the help in advanced

it's just suction and it allows u to poke around [i know that sounds bad] til you find a vein and since there is already suction once u puncture the vein blood will squirt in, otherwise it's negative space, there is nothing to suck up thats why people have been saying to 'register' as soon as u pierce the skin so u can easily find a vein quickly and then bam bam get high/well

thanks for the reply kneeco. i was always afraid to proceed when i drew back and nothing but a bubble goes in. Thanks for the help though

sixpartseven said:
No Im not forgetting. If you would have read my entire post, you'd see that you basically just repeated what I said.

I said to "register before AND after releasing the tie." Is that not the same thing you are saying?

I did the exact same thing when I was using daily. My veins were so shit I really had no other choice.

I dont suggest doing this if you dont have to. Its best left as a "last resort" trick, but it does work.

Well pretty much I said the same thing you did, but i was going along the lines of register twice by first to find the vein, then the second half-way through the shot to make sure you're still in, because for me at least i don't release the tie until i'm done with the injection. I know this practice is not advised but I use as little water as possible because I believe there is a better rush with less water.

Protip: For hiding trackmarks , foundation is a musthave. The trueblend or truematch stuff is amazing. Takes the redness out and matches with the shade of your skin. For days when you can't wear longsleeves ...

Do you guys carry around a "kit"? In mine (I usually keep it in a sock folded over , safety pinned to the inside of me pants for safe keeping and hiding.) i keep:

+Syringes (Duh. 31 Guage, 1cc, Short tip are my favorite. $2.92 around here for 10)

+ Cotton balls and Q tips (With q tips the cotton is more tightly packed ,which I like, but theres a lot of cotton in a cotton ball.)

+Container (A tin or something to hold the Raw.)

+Bandaids

+Something to tie off with (I usually just wear a belt)

+Alcohol pads if I can get em

+Lighter

+Sharpie (For marking used syringes, or I just take off the end cap , not the orange one)

and of course Cold , Clean water.

Am I missing anything? Perhaps a surface, but I use my tin for that.

I love my trick of safety pinning it to the inside of me pants. Tie a string around your folded over sock (secure well!) and safety pin all that to your pants then tuck it inside.

I always do this with bowl cases too that come with pull strings. Loop it around me beltloop and tuck inside.

Hope this helps!

blue622 said:
Well pretty much I said the same thing you did, but i was going along the lines of register twice by first to find the vein, then the second half-way through the shot to make sure you're still in, because for me at least i don't release the tie until i'm done with the injection. I know this practice is not advised but I use as little water as possible because I believe there is a better rush with less water.

ooooh, i see now. That is slightly different from what I said. Sorry. It is good advice too (except for the whole not releasing the tie part.) Especially when you are first getting used to IVing.

I have been using the same two needles now for almost two weeks many many injections and they both are just so soo dull. On of them even feels like it has a tiny barb at the end like a fishing hook and it really hurts, which leads me to my first question.

What is the consensus best if there is any way of sharpening the needle?
*smacks head*

You buy more. Or, go to an SEP and trade in your used ones. DO NOT reuse needles. If you have to, I wouldn't reuse a single needle more than 2 or 3 times max. After a needle has been used more than 5 or 6 times, it begins to look like this:

needledeterioration.jpg

What you should do is get more needles. DO NOT resharpen them. DO NOT reuse them (if at all possible, if not, do not reuse more than once or twice more)

Since I'm relatively inexperienced, the best tip I can offer is that using olive oil or PAM on that black part of the plunger and working it around the insides of the syringe will definitely provide some temporary lube and grant the whole rig a slightly longer life.
You should only have to use water to lubricate a rig into being smooth. I wouldn't use PAM or olive oil at all for this purpose.

PS I am well aware that ideally I would not be using these same two needles, I would love to be able to get my hands on new gear and I try.
If you can't do that, stick to snorting dope.

After you inject, it's a good idea just to hold the alcohol pad on the site lightly with a finger or two; if you wipe vigorously afterwards or press down hard, it's not as good as just lightly holding it.

Before you inject is when it is best to rigorously rub up and down in one direction.

If you can't get new needles, I wouldn't inject. I would not use old needles that have been lipped.

Hi there Captainn Heroin,

Thank you for your harsh words. I truly wasn't aware of how dangerous what I was doing was. It seems especially stupid when all I had to do was call up my one boy who lives with a diabetic just like that I have six freshies here. I'm excited for how nice and gentle using fresh ones is.
You definitely don't want to end up like that woman in the Case Studies thread who had a needle lodged in her lung, which broke off from being reused too often.

I was just wondering where do you get them? From drug stores OTC? (illegal here) or from exchanges, (exchanges here require all types of information and registration with the police and what not; not worth it)
It depends on state law. Some pharmacists will sell them over the counter, others won't. You can also try ordering them online, however, if your state requires a prescription, the website you order from might require one too.

If you live in a prescription-requiring state, you can always find someone who doesn't mind making a car ride to a different state with different rules.

What state do you live in?

Two: I understand that injecting a foreign substance intraveinouselly into one's body is never the safest thing, but I have never heard of any complications with the olive oil and it seems like a naturally enough occurring compound. Combined, those two factors make it seem OK to me. Why do you say No? For my first reason?
Are you going to trust that the olive oil is 100% sterile? If it isn't, would you mind having to go to the doctor for treatment? Some people on this site have IV complications, then they try to kid themselves into thinking they're OK because they don't have the money to see a doctor, or don't want to make an ER visit and end up in debt, etc etc etc.

Overall, I would use water for lubrication only. I can't tell you "something bad will happen, you can die", etc etc etc, because I do not specifically know. I just think water is all you should really have to use to lubricate the syringe.

If you re-use syringes, you can clean them out with bleach, and bleach tends to make the plunger a lot smoother than normal. Pulling back water and pushing it out will get rid of the bleach but still leave it pretty lubricated.

If I ever have to re-use a needle (I might have to, the SEP is closed for the 4th of July :() I would clean it out with water, then bleach (x2), then water (x2).

How many uses do you guys think that the relatively safe vs relatively dangerous trade off tips the scales to the latter?
Personally, 1 use is ideal. I don't exceed two or three re-uses, though. I also feel the tip, and if there's even the slightest lip, I won't re-use it.

We have a chance to help a lot of people with this number and maybe even save a life. Too bad we all know dam well some "magic number" won't be stopping a single junky without any way to get a new rig, from shooting up just because he/she would be surpassing the MN. However, hopefully people that do have the means to acquire new gear will think twice and act accordingly :)

Peace. Atlantic Citay then Avalon Time for Me : - ))))))))
-K

Atlantic City, New Jersey.

You should drive over to New York, I hear that people are sold them OTC by pharmacts. Can't tell you from personal first hand experience though.

There are also Syringe Exchange Programs (SEP's) in your state. You should feel lucky, there are no SEP's in my state.

Also, you should really question whether re-using needles is even worth it. I would value my health over IV administration. As needles are re-used, the hole that is torn through the skin is bigger and bigger. Ideally, if you can use a new needle every time, your veins will heal a lot faster than when reusing them.

If you're using heroin, snorting it is more efficient IMO than IVing it. The main reason is that the peak when snorted is more than twice the length of IV'd heroin, and the total duration of effects is also more than twice the length of IV'd heroin, so when one sticks to re-dosing every 6 to 8 hours religiously, you end up conserving more dope by snorting than you do IVing. I would really recommend only IVing heroin once in a while for the rush. That, and I would recommend to never re-use a needle if possible. If you have your heart set on doing so, please don't reuse more than two or three times. It's in your best interest.

Last edited:
+Bandaids

I love my trick of safety pinning it to the inside of me pants. Tie a string around your folded over sock (secure well!) and safety pin all that to your pants then tuck it inside.

I have pants ("hippie-ish pants" made by either Kathmandu Imports or Gypsy Rose, can't remember which) that have a "stash pocket" at the bottom of one of the legs. It's completely discreet, you'd never know it were there if it weren't advertised at the head shop I bought them at. It's on the inside right at the bottom, easy to slip something in or out of while "Tying your shoe".

Not nearly big enough for keeping rigs in, by perfect for putting a few loose bags in.

Realistically, I am going to have to use each rig more than once. Without simply saying two, because everybody I know that uses IV's from this state gets 10+ easy out of each needle and syringe.

How many uses do you guys think that the relatively safe vs relatively dangerous trade off tips the scales to the latter?

Thanks, these numbers that people give will be a big help. I was thinking of tallying each cap to keep track so as not to ever go too far with one. I know there is still some element of danger, as there is in most illicit drug uses.

We can call the number we arrive at the "Magic Number" for needles. After everyone weighs in we can average the responses and I will also conduct my own study with my six new needles and see how many uses it takes for me to notice anything different from the feel of a rig straight out of the box.

We have a chance to help a lot of people with this number and maybe even save a life. Too bad we all know dam well some "magic number" won't be stopping a single junky without any way to get a new rig, from shooting up just because he/she would be surpassing the MN. However, hopefully people that do have the means to acquire new gear will think twice and act accordingly :)

Peace. Atlantic Citay then Avalon Time for Me : - ))))))))
-K

The "Magic Number" is, for starters, way WAY WAAAAYYYY lower than what you're using. You can't just "average" people's suggestions, because people like you will skew the average in the wrong direction.

I would say, ideally, 2. Realistically, no more than FIVE. EVER!

LOL at "stocking up" with 6 rigs. Seriously - detour a few miles on your trip to the shore. Elkton or Rising Sun, MD have lots of drug stores that sell OTC. Otherwise google what you want. We can't give sources here, but lots of internet sites sell rigs without a script, regardless of what state you live in (PA).

Once and done.

FC

but lots of internet sites sell rigs without a script, regardless of what state you live in (PA).

In the interest of harm reduction, I believe everyone should be able to buy syringes.

I think people post some links for sites that sell syringes and it doesn't violate the "source" rule, but it's understandable why there isn't a catalog of suppliers or anything as well.

Hi there Captainn Heroin,

Also I was wondering about a couple things.

One: It's so amazing to me that wherever you and so many other people on here live, have rigs so readily available. Here, the only way is really to know someone with diabetes, and that person has to take their insulin the old school way, not with a pump which every diabetic my generation and younger uses. That is why I stocked up and grabbed six because who knows when my next chance will be. I was just wondering where do you get them? From drug stores OTC? (illegal here) or from exchanges, (exchanges here require all types of information and registration with the police and what not; not worth it)

I see that you are in PA. The Needle Exchange in Philly does require registering but it is COMPLETELY anonymous. They simply ask "How old are you?", "What's your zip code?", "How do you identify yourself by sex? Male, female or transgendered?". They will give you a card and 10 spikes for your first visit. When you use them up and exchange them, they will give you 20. There is NO law enforcement involved AT ALL. It is a simple process and the folks at the van are amazingly compassionate and helpful.

Here is a link to the Philly Needle Exchange (they offer MANY free services:

http://www.preventionpointphilly.org/

Also, spikes can be purchased online legally. If you are concerned about anonymity when using a credit card just go to a grocery store and buy a Visa/Mastercard gift card and use that for your online purchase.

Be safe, my friend. Take care of those veins so that in the future you won't need to use more dangerous/difficult spots to inject.

I don't cook the H as I've never found any sort of benefit from bringing the solution to a slight boil vs. not. Always do cold shots (just mix it up, it still works).

I always gum the cotton afterward, just out of habit.

Don't bang old blood, you'll get sick as hell. DON'T.

Develop a system for identifying used syringes (I just take the back cap off).

Always test-fire new batches in a super-paranoid way.

If someone overdoses and you invite the paramedics to come help, assume that at least 10 cops will be there too.

Like a few people on here have said already, even if some junkie kid says a spot is chill to fix up in, don't fucking believe him. If it doesn't feel right GTFO of there. Some of these kids are fucking idiots and don't seem to realize that there actually are police out there looking for illegal shit taking place so they can bust you.

Oh yeah, and a while back I had a pack of ultrafine needles (super small gauge size and a tip that was 8mm if I remember correctly). With those I was able to easily register veins on the top of my hand and etc, which was fun and avoids the more easily identifiable tracks on the forearm. I almost prefer those to the standard syringes I have right now. Sigh.

Great stuff here.

I always shot (shoot) cold.

Cops always come with the paramedics to an OD. ALWAYS. They WILL tear your place apart, so don't leave rigs and empty bags laying around your place, just in case.

And NEVER listen to the idiot who wants to fix up in the drive-thru, or outside the bar, or at the table in a restaurant, or in a convertible on busy main street. You get the point. Always take an extra few minutes to get somewhere REALLY safe... a few minutes extra spent sick in order to safely get well is much better than time spent in prison or on probation.

1. Remember that most of your "IV friends" probably care very little about harm reduction and practice very unsafe injection techniques, however, that won't stop them from looking over at you and saying hey your suppose to do it like this. "(insert dumbest possible idea)"

2. DONT MISS. Theres no excuse for it and its how you end up explaining to doctors your a junky. Register, Register again....if it starts to hurt, stop, if you see a bubble forming stop.

3. Dont shoot anything but heroin. once people pick the needle up they tend to put everything in a spoon but there momma's weed.

4. The arm is most popular for a reason.

I see that you are in PA. The Needle Exchange in Philly does require registering but it is COMPLETELY anonymous. They simply ask "How old are you?", "What's your zip code?", "How do you identify yourself by sex? Male, female or transgendered?". They will give you a card and 10 spikes for your first visit. When you use them up and exchange them, they will give you 20. There is NO law enforcement involved AT ALL. It is a simple process and the folks at the van are amazingly compassionate and helpful.

Here is a link to the Philly Needle Exchange (they offer MANY free services:

http://www.preventionpointphilly.org/

Also, spikes can be purchased online legally. If you are concerned about anonymity when using a credit card just go to a grocery store and buy a Visa/Mastercard gift card and use that for your online purchase.

Be safe, my friend. Take care of those veins so that in the future you won't need to use more dangerous/difficult spots to inject.
They also give out Narcan. Haven't gotten it myself, but I've talked to someone that has. :)

Don't use an alcohol pad to clean the blood off of a fresh injection site, it just irritates it and makes the track more prominent.

I wanted to mention this, but forgot...

alcohol wipe before injection = great idea.
alcohol wipe after injection = bad idea.

They also give out Narcan. Haven't gotten it myself, but I've talked to someone that has. :)

Really?!?! Thats awesome, man. I just read a story here on BL about some kid that OD'd at some park. A junky was in the area and gave him a shot of naloxone (sp?). Saved the kids life.

Is Narcan the same as naloxone?

Injecting air

I am over twenty years in the medial profession and am determined to try injecting heroin. Am learning from these posts, but wish someone would write a thread with all the steps involved from acquiring, to dissolving.

My experience with injecting shows that you have to inject over 10ml of air before you can really do any harm. Air is always injected in the hospital when IV tubing is used. You just can't avoid it. The lungs act as a filter. If the air is injected into a vein (NOT an artery) the air will go to the lungs where it will be filtered. If may be a bit uncomfortable (a small degree of shortness of breath) if you infect A LOT of air, but if you are using a small insulin syringe, you cannot inject enough air to cause harm and certainly not air. I'd be more concerned with injecting a fiber of cotton. This can cause infection, obstruction of the vein or block a small artery in the lungs.