• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to leave an addict

your going to have to leave. It will be the only thing to wake him up once he realizes the only person who cares about him is gone or push him deeper into drugs. But you can not let another human being drag you down aswell no matter how much you love them. My friend was consuming upwards of $1000 of meth a day before his partner left him and took this child and forced him to get clean

It's highly likely he won't stop if you leave. It depends on whatever point he has to get to to have finally had enough and genuinely want to stop heroin, whether that be going to a substitution program or detox or whatever.

Losing my relationship wasn't enough for me. And I loved him, in many ways I still do. But it still wasn't enough.

Heroin addiction hijacks your priorities putting itself ahead of everything else. In the same league as food and water. You feel an overpowering drive that you NEED it. Which is reenforced by a torturous withdrawal.

Even if logically you know the withdrawal won't kill you, it still causes you to behave as if that were what's on the line.

Which is why addicts behave with a level of desperation you'd normally only see in people who are desperate for food or water or some other basic survival need.

Lost two relationships to my addiction to stims and yet i still didn't quit the first one drove me deeper and deeper into drug use amphetamine had such a control over my mind body and soul i could not even fathom why they left i was so oblivious to my own life. Drugs will control every aspect of a persons life when they are addicted to them. It was not till i had pretty much had hit rock bottom and my only option left was a bullet to the head to escape my problems or finally put in the hard work to get clean from my DOC. Addiction is a tragic sad story and there is no sugar coating it i have had friends kill themselves over their meth addictions and benzos.

Even when clean the constant cravings require strong will power to not give in. Alot of my friends in addiction are some of the most friendly loveable people ever but they are in a battle every day for control of their mind body and soul from these drugs going off on 3 day benders over the weekend starting on friday no sleep when they have a child and partner at home who need them there. Thats how powerful of a hold these drugs will have on somebody. Nothing else in the external world will be enough to give up their usage they have to find it within themselves and truly want to be free to start the hard journey of finding a way back to sobriety.

I knew people who never even touched meth till they were in their 40s with a good family savings in the bank within months they had spent over $60k + on meth lost their house their family and are still on meth to this day homeless. Addiction will keep escalating as the tolerance goes up the more drugs you need to buy to satisfy the cravings.

Love is tough but sometimes you have to let people go in life because no one will be able to save them. It might seem harsh buts its a reality of life you have to take care of yourself first before anybody.

Yeah. And the thing that I think has to be repeated. As hard as it is. He, might not get better. He might continue all the way to the grave.

There's 2 choices, you can save yourself, or you can let him destroy you financially and emotionally. Neither option carries any guarantees for him though.

You can't save him, only he can do that.

There is absolutely NOTHING anyone in my life could have said to me, no matter how much I loved them, that would have gotten me to stop for them. You might want very badly to give your loved ones what they want, but you find you just can't.

You either get to a point where you've had enough, and that's usually because you've lost nearly everything you cared about, or you don't.

Odds are he will bankrupt the people around him if they let him.

As @TripSitterNZ said, generally your using will increase up to the limit of whatever your financial resources are. Whether they be legitimate, criminal, hustling people, whatever.

You can't believe anything he tells you. Anything could be a manipulation. If you give him money, whether he asks for it or you think you're offering it or no matter what the circumstances appear to be, it's likely it'll go to drugs.

I got people to loan me or give me money for a million different reasons, often very compelling reasons, sometimes with seemingly no way they could be being used for drugs. But in virtually every instance that's where it wound up. In a needle.

Never underestimate how manipulative an addict can be. Regardless of how trustworthy they may have seemed once. Even if it's not giving money directly to him, if you're spending money in any way that you otherwise wouldn't have were it not for him, you should assume it is somehow helping his habit. It might not be, but if he's in it bad enough it probably is.

^^^100x this. By staying you are enabling him. He is manipulating you so much just from the little you have told us he is gaslighting you as well. He is only admitting to the little bit he is to try to get you off his case and get you to continue maintaining the status quo. You are provide the framework that keeps him in a somewhat stable situation, keeps him comfortable and able to continue using.
0 Ou
I used to lie and do exactly what he is doing to keep my mom off my case. I only starting telling the truth and admitting the extent of my addiction once I finally decided I am so sick of living this way. We admitted the truth to all of our close family. We are functioning addicts- we hold good jobs, we pay most of our bills on time, we keep the refrigerator stocked with groceries, cook and clean every night but every extra dime and then some to heroin. We cant afford treatment and are struggling to find a way to get off it. We have reduced our daily dose from 1.5grams a day down to .5grams a day. It has been so hard to taper and takes an incredible amount of willpower!!! And this behavior is not the norm whatsoever. We had to come clean and tell my family and in-laws the whole truth and even now find ourselves inclined to lie and cover up our behavior and we are dead set on stopping

^^^100x this. By staying you are enabling him. He is manipulating you so much just from the little you have told us he is gaslighting you as well. He is only admitting to the little bit he is to try to get you off his case and get you to continue maintaining the status quo. You are provide the framework that keeps him in a somewhat stable situation, keeps him comfortable and able to continue using.
0 Ou
I used to lie and do exactly what he is doing to keep my mom off my case. I only starting telling the truth and admitting the extent of my addiction once I finally decided I am so sick of living this way. We admitted the truth to all of our close family. We are functioning addicts- we hold good jobs, we pay most of our bills on time, we keep the refrigerator stocked with groceries, cook and clean every night but every extra dime and then some to heroin. We cant afford treatment and are struggling to find a way to get off it. We have reduced our daily dose from 1.5grams a day down to .5grams a day. It has been so hard to taper and takes an incredible amount of willpower!!! And this behavior is not the norm whatsoever. We had to come clean and tell my family and in-laws the whole truth and even now find ourselves inclined to lie and cover up our behavior and we are dead set on stopping
It sounds like you've got a lot of reasons to get clean and a good support network. Keep at it!!!

It sounds like you've got a lot of reasons to get clean and a good support network. Keep at it!!!
My husband and I got clean from perc 30s together before and stayed clean for 4 years. Stupidly I relapsed due to depression, anxiety and rage all stemming from undiagnosed PPD. Those issues have been resolved long ago so its time to get back on the right path. We tried to cold turkey a couple times in the past couple of months but just couldnt do it (have to work!( at such a high dose (1.5g - 2g per day, each). We have gotten down to .5g a day each which even just tapering you still have to deal with mild withdrawals. We have Monday off work so we are gonna try to jump off from here this weekend. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

I know it is sooooo hard to get clean from opiates. The acute withdrawals are torture and all you can think about is how one dose will make it all feel better. Even worse, once you get thru the acute phase, PAWs can make life miserable. Your sleep is fucked, anhedonia sucks and the cravings can get crazy. It takes months if not a full year to really fully heal. A lot of people dont even know about PAWs and this reality and think they ruined themselves for life. To the people who do know about PAWs, recovery can seem like an insurmountable task. You have to reallly really want it, be determined af and have incredible willpower and even then the statistics show that most people cant do it. This is why someone will NEVER get clean bc of what others want or what others say. It has to come from within, you have to be totally DONE.

What Jess said above is the 100% reality for all heroin addicts:
"You can't save him, only he can do that.

There is absolutely NOTHING anyone in my life could have said to me, no matter how much I loved them, that would have gotten me to stop for them. You might want very badly to give your loved ones what they want, but you find you just can't."

Im sorry to say it and Im not trying to be a bitch but it doesnt sound like your boyfriend is anywhere near that place in his addiction @Fightingback123. If you give him an inch he will take a mile. He will try to manipulate you every which way he can to continue making it easy for him to stay in his addiction. If you create boundaries he will cross them to see how far he can get, to see what he can get you to concede. He will tell you everything he thinks you want to hear. Your life together will never get better.as long as he is using and it will eventually get worse and come crashing down around you. Something will happen like he will wreck his vehicle or OD or end up back in the hospital with endocarditis or end up losing his job. He will never save money to achieve your goal of buying a house, In sure he wants to share that goal with you but the heroin will take his money everytime. If you leave he will probably resent you at first and he might spiral downward but from the sound of everything you've told us its gonna take something serious for him to get to the point where he is done. Leaving will hurt, it really sucks to know you have invested all this time, energy and love into a relationship for it to end but if you stay your life will never get better and most likely it will get much, much worse!!

You could try giving him so serious ultimatums but as I said before he will most likely just try to manipulate and lie to you.

Thanks everyone for their insight, knowledge, growth, and sharing. A huge pat on the back to anyone who is trying. It shows me how far off my own situation is as we are still in denial stage. Maybe partially or largely due to me always being there...I see that now. Its tough knowing all the talks and effort I've put into it..it being me trying to get him to see the light have been fruitless. Honestly guys I've been literally sick on and off all year because all my energy is sucked into fixing this. There have been many times I've put every particle of my being into the talks, completely wasted the next day from the amount of emotion going out and excertion.

Its been a mind game for me and don't get me wrong I'm wondering whats wrong with myself at this point. Like how could I not see what was going on. I bought the lies sold to me but deep down I always felt like sick and now I know why. What makes it even more messed up is that he is a legit good person without this. Its messed me up too the spying its all Hella traumatic

Can I do this to myself anymore..no. its to the point where even if he confesses and tries which I really don't see happening like I can't let myself go through another stunt of this. I mean I clearly don't deal with it well.

Right now I'm at a point where I need him to like fess up and admit things for me to even feel good about anything. And to then have breakdown and see the light.

Ya im mad at myself, wasted time so on and so forth. I see there is literally nothing I can do or say anymore so. Leaving will help us both.

I know it is really fucking hard, but you said it sister, leaving will help you both. Sending you lots and lots of strength <3

What makes it even more messed up is that he is a legit good person without this. Its messed me up too the spying its all Hella traumatic

He probably still is, deep down. Addiction doesn't make you not you, deep down, it just makes you not act like you. :(

You still feel guilt, the drugs help to block it and everything else out, but it still hurts.

I did feel more guilty after I stopped heroin than I did when I was using, but I still felt guilty at the time. It's just heroin takes up so much of your life when you get deep into it, there's barely time for anything else. And the pain from the guilt just as much makes you wanna keep using as it does make you wanna stop. It messes with your head, sometimes I'd say I didn't even entirely realize how much it was messing with my head.

Even if a part of you wants to stop, until/unless it gets to a certain point, you just... Don't. And often the best you can do is wish you wanted to stop.

Try not to beat yourself up. It's not your fault he's like this, and you can't help how you feel about him. <3

Guilt....and shame. Im sure that he feels both, Im sure he feels like a POS for lying to you and hiding and living a double life. Its exhausting as well but like I said, going thru acute withdrawal phase is enough to make many addicts not even attempt recovery, when you dont have any dope left all you can think about is getting more bc you know the clock is ticking on the sickness coming. And long term recovery looks almost impossible when you are deep in addiction.

I highly recommend looking into something like ALANON, its like AA/NA but for the family members of addicts. If you ever watched the show Intervention one thing they repeat alot is that addiction is a whole family disease, even when family members are sober. Family members enable addicts and go thru a ton of trauma from loving an addict.

Therr is NOTHING wrong with you. You've been gaslighted and manipulated. You believed the lies bc you love him and you wanted it to be true. Thats perfectly normal and very common in family members of addicts. You had HOPE and that's not a bad thing in itself.

If not an ALANON type group, I def recommend some type of counseling or psych dr for you. You have gone thru a serious trauma, truly. Sending lots of love and light and I hope you can be strong and get to where you need to be for you, a place where you can be happy and healthy. And we are always here to keep talking if you need it and its helping <3

There's also naranon. (not to be confused with the suspiciously similarly named scientology front group narconon).

You don't have to buy into everything they have to say, but like NA and AA for drug users and alcoholics. They can still be worthwhile as a social support network.

sober living. although it's still heavily bent on antipsychotics, or methadone for opiate withdrawal. WIthout going to police, if you know a social worker, they can generally guide you through how to get to a hospital for detox and then sober living. It's not enjoyable, but time spent there teaches you better coping mechanisms than IV.

I just don't believe introducing drugs directly into the blood is a good idea, or needles for that matter. But I'm weird, no problem snorting unfamiliar powders. But yeah the social worker might help.

sober living. although it's still heavily bent on antipsychotics, or methadone for opiate withdrawal. WIthout going to police, if you know a social worker, they can generally guide you through how to get to a hospital for detox and then sober living. It's not enjoyable, but time spent there teaches you better coping mechanisms than IV.

I just don't believe introducing drugs directly into the blood is a good idea, or needles for that matter. But I'm weird, no problem snorting unfamiliar powders. But yeah the social worker might help.
OP is sober. Her significant other is not. If he isnt willing to get clean or even admit he is using, how will a social worker help?

It doesn't sound like you've read the whole thread dude?

I read the OP. If you don't like that a social worker could help here, well, then try what they do on intervention. That I believe is a crack job operation. @n3ophy7e

By this point I know i'm not helping. So I'll go for it all and say install some cameras.

Last edited:
I read the OP. If you don't like that a social worker could help here, well, then try what they do on intervention. That I believe is a crack job operation. @n3ophy7e

By this point I know i'm not helping. So I'll go for it all and say install some cameras.
She said she felt terrible for spying so I think if she installs cameras behind her back it will make her feel worse. If he knows she installed them he will probably disappear more often and be even sneakier than he already is. He wont even admit to her that he is using so he doesnt want nor is he asking for help so how exactly would a social worker help here? I'm pretty sure she has children w him and a social worker will end up getting DCF/CPS/DYFS ( or whatever its called in your state). That's the last thing she needs to have to deal with right now. Unless there is a sudden, drastic 180 change in the situation, the best thing she can do is keave!!

Knock and talk. Visible marks that are questionable.

that might not work out. Personality mannerism ducking things like that. But it’s not her choice. It’s up to him.