• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health How many regular or semi-regular psych users don't have HPPD?

Do you have HPPD from regular/semi regular use of psychedelics?

• yes

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • no

Votes: 100 73.5%

• Total voters

any major dude

Bluelight Crew
I'm a bit curious about this as it seems most of the people who post here about HPPD either have it, or have some residual visual irregularities. Obviously people are more likely to report if they have it than if they don't, and I'm very curious about the instance of HPPD among users. I, at the moment at least, feel as if I'm in the minority not having HPPD, and I've been using psychedelics pretty regularly (at least 1-2 times per month on average, sometimes more) for over 9 years. However, the admittedly crude estimates from the studies I've read place the prevalence at between 0.66% and 5% of regular users...

If any of the mod's wanna make this a poll that would be pretty rad :D Lets generate some data

Hello!

I Use psychedelics at least once a week, have been doing this for a couple months and before that I would trip A couple times a month. I do not have any HPPD symptoms but I have noticed an increase in my senses; Motor, visual, audio and feeling have a bit of a boost while sober compared to before I used Psychedelics...

For instance, I notice a lot more sounds in music now and I listen very carefully. I can hear thing in the background of songs that I wouldnt normally notice or would have to have on a very high volume to hear.

I dun have it either
Been experimenting for about 5 years now as regularily as i've been able to manage
Though I can find interesting patterns in things a lot better than I used to be able to.

tripped hundreds of times, on acid, shrooms, mescaline dmt, salvia...etc. once eating mushrooms every day for a month. never had any symptoms of hppd. and never had any friends with hppd (that ive known about).

maybe its not but i kinda think its a hoax

I've never experience it.

Though before my experimentation, and as a child, I would often play with optical effects that I could create. For example, when out of breath or strained, I can see little pinpricks of light that move around my peripherals, or by looking at lights when my eyes aren't adjusted I can cause huge black/white spots in my vision.

I think often times people just begin noticing these types of things after they've been exposed to something that truly does create visual disturbances, and then leap to the conclusion of HPPD.

Thats not to say that all cases of HPPD are mistaken, but I think sometimes people just begin noticing things they would have initially overlooked after taking psychedelics.

Its certainly not a hoax. However i've never experienced it and have tripped many many times

Ive been using psychedelics for almost 10 years.
The closest thing ive gotten to HPPD was with 2c-i after abusing it. But symtoms wore off after a few days/weeks. So im going to go with NO.

PS. poll added

I've been tripping somewhat regularly for about 5 years now, and don't have any signs of it.

I've never experience it.

Though before my experimentation, and as a child, I would often play with optical effects that I could create. For example, when out of breath or strained, I can see little pinpricks of light that move around my peripherals, or by looking at lights when my eyes aren't adjusted I can cause huge black/white spots in my vision.

I think often times people just begin noticing these types of things after they've been exposed to something that truly does create visual disturbances, and then leap to the conclusion of HPPD.

Thats not to say that all cases of HPPD are mistaken, but I think sometimes people just begin noticing things they would have initially overlooked after taking psychedelics.

I think this is pretty valid. Also, things like sleep deprivation, smoking pot, taking amphetamines, or anything that can cause pupil dilation can result in visual irregularities. From what I've gathered the people that really have it, have no doubt about their condition. The people that "think they might have it" probably fall into the group you speak of. Though I imagine it is most likely a spectrum disorder, so some people may have less severe symptoms than others.

I have been using psychs pretty consistently for about almost 2 years. and had some experience before that. I noticed that 2c-b left a nice little mark in my brain that has taken months to get over.

The major hppd effect i suffer from is ringing in the ears which i very much think is connected directly to psychedelic drug use. I also have slight haloing and just weird bright ringing and almost this type of staining on my vision. I have found that marijuana intensifies the effects greatly. and almost all of the time, I am completely symptom free.

without smoking marijuana, I think i would return to homeostasis without anything residual from psychedelic drug use.

Tripped a fair bit in the last few years, had very mild hppd on occasion a year or so ago when I used to trip on mushrooms very frequently. Stopped soon after my usage fell and not returned since.

those statistics sound right.

I do not have HPPD. yay!

As far as clinical HPPD (symptoms meeting the DSM-IV criteria), it seems to affect an exceedingly small minority.

Your second question about lasting visual changes, however, is much more interesting as the condition seems to be highly prevalent. The problem with assessing this in a subjective poll is that some users are unaware of subtle changes in visual perception. This was demonstrated in a study done by Abraham and Wolf in which LSD users were found to have altered critical flicker frequency and dark adaptation regardless of reported symptoms. The mean time since last LSD use was 2.3 years, yet changes were still apparent.

Ive been tripping for about 9 or 10 years now , very heavily at a few points

I used to think I had HPPD after a few psych binges but after taking a break the symptoms faded pretty much

I still have some slight visual disturbances though , it just makes things look really pretty :)

Trip anywhere from 3-4 days a week, to oonce a month, wth occasional daily binges; no symptoms at all. :)

I thought that mild visual disturbances were common among users of psychedelics. At least, compared to the prevalence of HPPD. I was wondering if these visual disturbances are likely to increase the more you expose yourself to psychedelics? And does this put you at a higher risk of developing HPPD?

I have trails, some halos/afterimages/static, after only 2 trips, but it's very mild and does not bother me. I'm reluctant to trip again, however, as I feel as though this may put me in a higher risk category in terms of developing HPPD.

i have full blown HPPD after 6 trips with mushrooms and 7 rolls with MDMA. The last MDMA roll, consisting of 350ismg of pure powder all at once, is what set it off for me.

My visuals consist of strong negative/positive afterimages, halos, trails, static, light sensitivity,decreased depth perception, Widely increased floater perception color saturation especially during the day outside, and starbursts.

HPPD is not a hoax, though the people who really do develop a genuine case of it is exceedingly small compared to the people who think that seeing afterimages if they stare into a light long enough is HPPD.

2ci and LSD both have given me residual visual effects (mostly patterning, but one time after a really big dose of 2ci, the next day I thought there was a dancing costumed yellow bird mascot who turned out to be a UPS man -- which has never happened to me even peaking on 2ci or any drug really). I've never had them last more than a week or two though...