How did you get into Electronic music?

What is one of the first electronic music tracks you heard?

That's a tough question! If you mean 'What was the first track you heard that featured a synthesiser?', then it would have almost certainly been an '80s pop track - maybe a Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, or Michael Jackson track. Or maybe one of the David Bowie tracks from the film 'Labyrinth' (brilliant film with brilliant music!!!)

If you mean 'What was the first 'EDM' track you heard?', then it was probably either 'Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam' or 'Black Box - Ride On Time' - both from 1989 - the year I stopped buying vinyl and started buying compilation cassettes of chart music (which officially makes me cooler than all the DJs who are only just giving up vinyl in favour of Traktor/Abledon!!!)

In particular, what song got you into techno music?

My complete obsession with 'EDM' only happened after I took ecstasy for the first time, and the track of the night that night (infact, the only track I know that got played that night) was 'Photek - Mine To Give'.

One of the earliest I can remember is from the trainspotting soundtrack, when i first watched that movie in 97 or 98 (rented on video)

Underworld - Dark and Long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxeN56g2U3k

Sorry to be picky, but Underworld are my alltime favourite producers, so I feel it's my duty to point out that the track you posted is infact the 'Dark Train' mix of Dark & Long (which is very different to the original mix from their Dubnobasswithmyheadman album. Both versions are incredible though!!!!!!!!

Papua New Guinea By Future Sound of London, on Logic Trance 2 around 1995.

Whilst high on Purple Microdots.

Never forget that.... :)

Though now lost that Album..... damn.

Just found the last original one on *

$80

Looking forward to looking back..... ;)

I think it was Cubik by 808 State which my uncle played in his car. That was about 1993 or 1994. I might have heard electronic songs before that, but I don't remember them.

Double tripple brownie points for ChemicalSmile and Levictus!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The same way everyone else did, drugs. Just kidding.

The first time I really started to take notice of EDM / electronic music was when I was about 16 or 17, I'd recently gotten my drivers license and was driving my parents car around one night. A friend of mine who had a fake ID and went out a lot (and did a lot of pills) was riding in my car and brought a cd. It was disc two of the Australian version of the Ministry of Sound - The Annual 2005.

He left the cd in the car and so I listened to it a lot. Then I told him I liked the cd and he gave me some more dance music compiliations (with more of a breaks focus). Kept going from there. When I started going out and doing pills myself I loved it even more.

I certainly don't need drugs to appreciate it (I didn't do them when I first started listening, and I listen to electronic music at home a lot as well).

My friend asked me if I wanted to Volunteer for Paxhau at DEMF, his sister hooked us up with jobs. Got in for free after we had done our work each day. Popped a few pills and was definitely feeling the music. It's currently my favorite genre of music, esp. dubstep :)

i always liked that techno pop of the mid 90's... but became a true fan of electronic music after i heard Robert Miles-Children the first time i rolled in 2000

exactly the same thing here except for me the song was 9pm by Atb

specifically it was signum mix off the mix cd Trance: a state of altered conciousness

now its my my favorite type of music

i heard aphex twin selected ambient works volume II when I was 16 years old and it was exploration foward and in many directions since then when it comes to electronic music. alot of great stuff to be heard by us.

I really started getting into electronica after my first party, back in like 95 or 96. It was mostly Jungle/D&B performing (Chicago shit, Danny the Wildchild, Phantom 45, etc.). I had a blast and have enjoyed electronica ever since. I love jungle, but Chicago House is probably my favorite genre.

Lost Tribe - "Gamemaster"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lARDWywKvg

Just listening to this song now brings back memories of rolling. Every hair on my neck stands up and I get a chill.

edit:: Thizzer I think I found the thread you were looking for ^ ^

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=465300&highlight=electronic+music

I wish I had more time to go through this thread, and will later but this track. You're right on man. I remember many times just . . . . man. Just such an insane track. I really wonder why we don't get to hear songs like that anymore. Well, maybe there are but I just haven't been following the trance scene.

lol I remember when I was younger I was always saying "I just can't see how if you like EMD, you can not like trance." :eek:
I get it now. :D

I really started getting into electronica after my first party, back in like 95 or 96. It was mostly Jungle/D&B performing (Chicago shit, Danny the Wildchild, Phantom 45, etc.). I had a blast and have enjoyed electronica ever since. I love jungle, but Chicago House is probably my favorite genre.

Yeah after discovering tranceport 1 I went to a few southside chicago parties in 2000 2001 and 03 and discovered jungle. Danny the wildchild, 3d, all kinds of shit. I also loved RHVission back then when he spun dope house... I hate what he plays these days.... Then came like 3 years of planet of the drums in a row , the local milwaukee scene with gein and the house parties with all jungle, good times.