How did you get into Electronic music?

I was sick in a hospital bed for three months. An acquaintance who I had no idea really would of given a damn that I was sick stopped by regularly dropping of cds with electronic music on them. I got sucked into electonic dance music on my hospital bed because of his kindness. Been listening to it ever since.

The Prodigy were my real introduction to the dance scene, have been listening to them since I was 11 or so

Now 9 years on Im still in love with their music and especially their live shows

Got into electronica from them really

My brother who's now 27 used to rave (I'm 22). When he was in his teens and off partying I used to steal his CD's, and listen to them (classic Nicky Blackmarket!). Also, one of my best friends was heavily into Garage and had his own turntables, which gave me some good exposure.

I feel in love with drumming and progressive rock / metal when I was 16, and then eventually started to listen to more and more genres. It wasn't until my first time at Fabric night club in London that I fell in love with underground electronic and the scene. It's been an obsession since.

I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced an underground dance party whilst under the influence of the magical vitamin. That one, first experience really did open my mind to a whole new world of magic, and experience to be had.

<3

My dad was a DJ back when rave was first starting here on the east coast so I got in to it through him. I would always go record shopping with him and hear all of the music, instantly fell in love.

i saw the matrix and anime like serial experiments lain and ghost in the shell. became a hax0r and learned the ways of the cyberspace. at some point electronic music slowly starting to build on my hard drive. at this same time i discovered psychedelics left the cyberspace and began studying ethnobotany

when the music took over my life, its hard to say. now it has become a life-style. a world-view.

the way into existence.

@Roose
Hardstyle and Psy-Trance are nothing close to Techno.

Hardstyle is a subgenre of Hard Dance music and is closer to trance than techno but still a light year away from Psy&Goa.
I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but I really like to be a smart ass about music that I listen. :p

Something to make you more comfused ;)
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

If you want to educate yourself on techno I recommend you start with umek @ i love techno 2001 and go from there...

Techno police :p, well either way its still Electronic music. I usually just use Techno as a very broad term for electronic music, then everything else is just a sub genre.

i have to admit, i never know how to react when people allude to me liking 'techno', or ask if i do because I don't know what the term encompasses in their mind. so it becomes this long discussion and most people who aren't into edm just like to lump it all into one category, and i walk away frustrated that the person couldn't grasp the idea that there are many sub-genres of what they consider 'techno'.

it's like someone who doesn't like 'metal'. they just don't like metal, of any type. wtf is that?!

when i was 18, worked behind the bar in a club that played electro/house/progressive on fridays, saw a few big names like nick warren, anthony papa, tommie sunshine...there. went to the internet discovered trance started listening to the recommendation on the TA forum, now i think life would be dull without trance..

i have to admit, i never know how to react when people allude to me liking 'techno', or ask if i do because I don't know what the term encompasses in their mind. so it becomes this long discussion and most people who aren't into edm just like to lump it all into one category, and i walk away frustrated that the person couldn't grasp the idea that there are many sub-genres of what they consider 'techno'.

it's like someone who doesn't like 'metal'. they just don't like metal, of any type. wtf is that?!

yeah i know what u mean about asking people if they like 'techno' lol because i have no idea what their frame of reference to electronic music and its subgenres are.... sometimes i just get a glazed over 'yeah, sure'...

ive always liked electronic music better than any other genre and naturally gravitated towards songs that were 'remixed' or had a drum n bass kinda beat to the track. then i believe i stumbled upon Digitally Imported one day like 8 years ago and found what i'd been looking for so long.. then i started going to raves to hear it.. and my library and appreciation for electronica grows exponentially every day <3

Always like The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim in the late 90s. I guess that was when I first started listening to electronic music. The in the early 2000 I discovered Infected Mushroom and they blew my mind, that's when I truly started listening to electronic music in a big way. Went to some crazy psytrance parties in Moscow, it was awesome. Then one fine day, I read a forum post about how the IM song "Drop Out" was the closest they came to Shpongle's sound. So I decided to look into this Shpongle thing. Since then Shpongle changed my life. I never get sick of their music even though I've listened to some songs hundreds of times.

Nowadays I don't listen to that much psytrance, but I still really dig drum & bass, psybient (anything of Twisted really), some house and trance.

I origianlly started off listening to a lot of chart dance around '87 (likes of Coldcut, M/A/A/R/S etc.) before gettign quite heavily into metal and punk as adolescence approached.

Eventually I got into industrial as it shared the attitutude of a lot of the guitat based music I had previously loved but I came to like the electronic elements of industrial more.

I was then fortunate enough to have a job which allowed me to listen to all sorts of new music and from there I got into the whole spectrum of electronic music (the only thing I have never really understood in any shape or form is two step garage and the like).

since i was born my dad listened to eurotrance kinda shit and ambient trance,
then i got into crust punk/grindcore around 13 and at 15 i tried ecstasy and then started listening to non-stop electronica, hardstyle/hardcore/ukhardcore/IDM/aggrotech(picky on that)/psytrance.

Describing Crookers, MSTRKRFT and deadmau5 as electro, is a disgrace....

:)

seriously... no one really attacks other peoples music choices like you. Its over and over, fuck.

Ok, what do you call those artists, minimal, progressive. Please tell me EDM master.

seriously... no one really attacks other peoples music choices like you.

You've obviously never encountered toa$t before then! But seriously, most of my 'attacks' are just banter. You're free to like whatever music you want to like. You're also free to take the piss out of my preferred music - one of my best mates in Melbourne used to always take the piss out of Kraftwerk (one of my absolute favourite producers) - whenever I put on their 'Minimum Maximum' DVD, he would always say 'it's just 4 boring old guys standing behind laptops and pressing the play button', and he would always sarcastically ask me 'What instruments are they playing there? - is that a guitar, a saxophone, a keyboard? etc etc etc'. He was into Justice, so obviously I used to give him shit back :) But it was all in good humour.

Ok, what do you call those artists, minimal, progressive. Please tell me EDM master.

Why does it annoy you when people refer to all EDM (or 'dance music' as we call it in the UK) as 'techno'? - probably the same reason(s) it annoys me when people refer to the artists you mention as 'electro'. I don't know for sure what genre those artists are in, but it's certainly not electro!

A quick Wikipedia search tells me that:

Crookers is progressive house, electro house, hip house, and fidget house

MSTRKRFT is electro house

Deadmau5 is progressive house, electro house, trance, neo-trance, techno, and house

If you've got a bit of spare time on your hands, you should check out this article - it's quite an interesting read, and lists many artists it considers to be 'electro' - you should check out some of those artists - I'd be genuinely interested to hear what you think!

Peace :)

MDMAhead, please direct me to a youtube vid, where it shows deadmau5 playing techno at a gig (or deadmau5 "techno" tracks being played at a techno gig). Unless you mean MINIMAL techno... you should know the difference between thoose two if you know the difference between house and electro-house.

(10-30% what wiki says will always be bullshit)