• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin Overdose

TheManWithNoName

Bluelighter
Believe it or not I couldn't find the answer to my question online. I'm sure it depends on a bunch of factors, like dose, ROA, other drugs used, etc. How long does the average death after a heroin overdose using occur. Also, from people who have survived an overdose is their any pain involved, from the suffocation for example? No, I am not gonna kill myself, but god forbid it happen I wanna know if I am in for anything unpleasant. I have had two friends overdose on heroin and they said it was just like falling asleep.

I too find these questions interesting. What happens? I know some ods are instant puking, but other just use during some time then sleep, never wake up. Probably a mix like h acholol benzo

The primary cause of death with opiate overdose is asphyxia. Basically the opiates cause you to pass out and depress your breathing to the point where you aren't getting enough oxygen and suffer damage to your organs. Your brain is the first to go and some overdose victims who recover still incur long term cognitive impairments depending how long they were oxygen deprived for.

As for a timeline it will occur when the level of opiates in the body is sufficiently high to cause these effects. If injecting this is practically immediate and the last experience of your life could be slipping into a nod as the rush hits you. Other means of administration might take longer to reach dangerous levels and you would be more likely to experience other symptoms of overdose such as nausea and confusion before losing consciousness.

How long would these take an hour? I have seen someone overdose. He drank a 12 pack, took three 2 mg Xanax bars, and shot up two bags of the strongest heroin I have ever seen (I did not personally do it, that was before my I got into H, but I witnessed another guy take a bag out of his pocket and snort it the next day and he was severally intoxicated) He started to asphyxiate and he became very pale and his lips turned blue. I slapped him a couple times to try and wake him up and poured water on him, and then another person called the cops, and they were there within five minutes and it took almost two tanks of oxygen to wake him up.

If injected it would only take a few minutes to reach peak levels and could cause death 10 to 15min later. If snorted it could take maybe twice as long, but unless it's being compounded by another drug that is being absorbed more slowly it would still occur well within an hour of dosing.

As a rule of thumb you can last about 5 minutes without oxygen before brain damage starts to occur.

Amapola, while you are generally correct, there are some exceptions to this rule. It is very possible to OD on IV heroin, an hour or two after your last shot. If you have a HUGE shot loaded, then yes, it is more likely to happen shortly after your shot. But it CAN happen much later.

Sometimes people do a huge shot, and think since they're still alive 20 minutes later, they're all good. Then half hour later they're blue and dead on your living room sofa.

ive seen a bunch of ods on tar, they all shot it and were out within 2 minutes.

most of the time they get the cap back on the needle then go unresponsive, then start turning blue and gasping really loud like once a minute. One real bad one the dude was out INSTANTLY his whole face was blue when i turned around from talking to him like a minute before and they told us he was dead like fifteen minutes later when the ambulance came but luckily the narcan brought him back.

I have only seen 1 OD, the kid obviously was used to getting complete shit cause he bought 60$ from my friend, my friend shorted him pretty bad to so it was like 40, but still he immediately loads it all up, I didn't say anything cause I do 40-50 dollar shots to so I thought he knew what he was doing.

What happened was after he just looked really high, but within like 2 minutes of doing the shot he starts nodding hard and then stops breathing. Thank god my friend is like the only person I know who carries those little naloxone bottles from the needle exchange with him. So its like minute 4 since the kid stopped breathing and my friend shot him with the naloxone. After about a minute he makes this huge gasping noise and starts shaking violently like he was having a bad seizure. Then he finally stopped shaking and started breathing normal again and then opened his eyes. He didn't even realize what happened after, so I assume it wasn't painful for him.

I have had one very scary overdose. I was sitting in my car alone. I did my shot and as soon as i did it i knew that the overdose was coming. I could feel it getting ready to hit me and there was no stopping it. It was somewhat like just falling asleep but slightly more scary. There wasn't any pain at all. Just the feeling of impending doom. I came to in the back of an ambulance. Apparently a policeman saw me and had to bust my window and pull me out of the car to save my life. I owe my life to that cop.

Alot of people in my area OD on heroin and xanax. I, for that reason, never mixed the two. Im not sure why this mixture causes it but it does! I have only had one experience with an OD and it was my ex. It was a scary experience. We just didnt let him fall asleep. we took him to the ER. but he wouldnt stay and for some reason they wouldnt keep him or couldnt hold him against his will. But he kept going in and out of conciousness. We also video taped it and he still didnt believe that he was like that when we showed him the next day. It was some freaky shit! This happened in florida and I was just visiting from out of state. so it was even worse that I didnt know anyone.
I think the risk for ODing is enough for me to space out the drugs I do and how much at each time. Its no fun being overly fucked up! But it is fun to have a nice buzz going. So everyone please be safe!

Amapola, while you are generally correct, there are some exceptions to this rule. It is very possible to OD on IV heroin, an hour or two after your last shot. If you have a HUGE shot loaded, then yes, it is more likely to happen shortly after your shot. But it CAN happen much later.

Sometimes people do a huge shot, and think since they're still alive 20 minutes later, they're all good. Then half hour later they're blue and dead on your living room sofa.
Isn't peak drug concentrations well before an hour? I would think the only way you could get higher an hour plus after IV use would be if you had something else in your system which hadn't maxed out yet. Maybe if missed some of the shot and it was absorbing slowly subcutaneously?

I went over once and as soon as I pressed the plunger that was it I blacked out, I had to be dragged from the pub toilets and taken to the bus shelter where my mate managed to bring me round after about an hour by slapping me and pouring cold water over me, he said that as soon as he stopped slapping me or pouring the water I would stop breathing and turn blue, must of been a right ball ache having to deal with that in the middle of town lol.

Also i'm sure most people know this but mixing benzo's with opiates greatly increases your chance of over dosing.

i have only seen 1 person overdose off heroin, this was 2 years ago me and my friend was round our dealers house (i always chill there) and my friend had a couple of temazepam (same as me) but i never realized he had been drinking all the day (these was super strength lager 9% shit), it wasn't until after he went over he said so, so anyway i bought a tenth, and we had some big shots, same amount i shot up myself, and he asked me to do his so i did, we both was nodding out but i could always control it, i was more gazing and nodding slightly, while my friend went into a deep nod and put his head back on the sofa, okey so we thought he was just high... it was like 5mins later when i noticed his breathing was going really deep and his lips started turning blue, so my dealer phoned for an ambulance, this came around 5mins later and rushed him to the hospital, where he got a shot to bring him back.

was a very scary experience for people round him but when he did come back he said he never known what happened after he went into that nod, so i wouldn't say it would be painful, rather just going to sleep... time when you do overdose verifies from person to person.

be safe, and try make sure someone is with you every time you shoot up and don't mix with alcohol!, you don't want to learn the hard way like most people i know!

I went over once and as soon as I pressed the plunger that was it I blacked out, I had to be dragged from the pub toilets and taken to the bus shelter where my mate managed to bring me round after about an hour by slapping me and pouring cold water over me, he said that as soon as he stopped slapping me or pouring the water I would stop breathing and turn blue, must of been a right ball ache having to deal with that in the middle of town lol.

This isn't a safe way to deal with an opiate overdose though. Your friend should have arranged for an ER visit for you, or at the very least, so that you can get a shot of naloxone.

i was recently taken to the hospital for OD. I took a shit ton of Xanax and Oxys orally, not intentionally- i was ambien sleepwalking- and woke up when they shot me up with Narcan in the ER.

Had zero clue what was happening the whole time.

I OD'd on a bunch of hydromorphone and oxymorphone friend is amazing and caries one of those shots on him and apparently i nodded out stoped breathing turned blue then he put the shot in me and i just woke up and was like whoa what happened it just felt like i blacked out or something didnt hurt or anything kinda weird cuz i was expecting an overdose to atleast feel uncomfortable with nausea or something but nope just blacked out.

from what im hearing the difference between a REALLY heavy nodd and stopping the actually breathing is so close its scary (duh though)

like i said in another post i once let my tolerance actually get low enough to actually think a .1 would do somthing for me ,boy was i right

i get this white dope from uncle ,a solid piece ,was hard to mix up but when it did it was clear liquid ,NEVER had dope go completely clear

anyway ,i hit my femoral ,and 10 sec after the rush hit and lasted SOO long ,then i was scared walked in kitchen then to my room soon as i hit my room i was going out remember going to one knee ,could still think cuz i was like (better act like im doing somthincuz my mom will freak) in my head ,thats all i remember ....mom shakes the living fuck outta me and wakes me up 2 hours later(she said i was breathing so hard i was making growling noises ) on the floor of coarse so thats why she didnt panic cuz i was breathing ...in a way i can only attribute to the brain FORcING you to take the hardest breat u can (that make sense?)

well i QUICKLY just fall right back out in computer chair ....and didnt wake up till my dad was BEATING the door down for me to go to work ,wich was 7 fucking hours later!!!!!! i awoke and had THE worst headache and body ache i ever felt ... my legs were tingly still from going out on the floor the way i did

from what have read wich is what i wrote first ,i musta been really close to the edge ...

This isn't a safe way to deal with an opiate overdose though. Your friend should have arranged for an ER visit for you, or at the very least, so that you can get a shot of naloxone.

In certain cities, such as NYC, the dispensing of Narcan is part of a harm-reduction program. It is dispensed in a form
that is meant to be given IM, like an insulin-injecting pen used by diabetics. IM Narcan isn't perfect and doesn't reverse the
effects of heroin and other opiates as quickly as IV administration, but it does save lives.

Benzos+alcohol+heroin/other opiates=huge no-no.