Heads Up and Member Feedback - Your opinions on the future of the site :)

Bob Loblaw said:
I don't know if this has been said before or not, but being able to edit your vote(s) in polls would be very nice.

Might be helpful, but unpossible with both this version, and the next, of our site software. I'm afraid once you vote, that's it :\

To Maz's point of sigs....we've discussed it amongst staff and it is still under review of exactly how (and if) we might implement sigs at the upgrade. The idea of staff having them for site promotion has definite merit, but this also creates an area requiring policing. Staff....has a sig for site benefit, great; has a sig for personal stuff, we probably ought to charge them as a perk like we do members (if that is the plan we follow). But then members...has a personal sig, paid perk is fine; tries to have a sig for site benefit....do you charge? Probably have to but then there also comes a point of what qualifies as 'personal' vs 'site benefit' ... I think these are fairly minor issues, and things we can sort out as we move forward. I mainly wanted to say that I, personally, believe in the merit of Maz's suggestion but we need to ensure we employ sigs in general to the best benefit of the site.

Changing the name of Music and DJs ....for some reason a lot of people assume its a general music discussion forum, no idea as to a solution .... somehow making Music and DJs and non EMD really separate and distinct....

maybe having a general music discussion sub forum and non EDM and DJs below that ? idk

When you press "Spell Check" it should also check the thread Title.

It would be a simple piece of code.

Had a moderator fix a heading for me the other day that would have been picked up by a spell checker and saved a lot of time for everyone.

nabollocks: thanks for the library suggestion. As others have said, there is already a FAQ forum, which is somewhat relevant to your suggestion.

We would certainly welcome any proposals from you, or others, to edit existing FAQs, or write new ones.

On your specific question, when you talk about uploading papers and reviewing them, do you mean papers that our members might write? Or do you mean other papers by academic drug researchers?

I certainly think there's a place for a portal-type thing that would take users to existing online materials (we used to have this in the past, it was mainly a link directory though). We also once tried publishing ongoing reviews of new research, but it died a death (I wrote one review, I think, a few others may have done so). If you have any interest in reviving these ideas, please post what you are thinking :)

I'd like to be able to choose to see the front page news at the top of the index view.

Why can't we embed videos? Is it a unsuitable content issue, a bandwidth issue?
Anyway if we could do that, maybe subject to moderator approval, it would be cool.

A Wiki or Wikis

Some Bluelight wikis might be good for producing FAQs and other references for BL core topics.

Two big potential problems with Wikis though, they can get even more contentious than threads and they can become like the walls of bathroom stalls after a while.

One way around those problems might be to grant editing privileges to members with a sincere interest in a given project. I admit wikis could be more effort and resources than they are worth but thought it worth considering.

Enki said:
Some Bluelight wikis might be good for producing FAQs and other references for BL core topics.

Two big potential problems with Wikis though, they can get even more contentious than threads and they can become like the walls of bathroom stalls after a while.

One way around those problems might be to grant editing privileges to members with a sincere interest in a given project. I admit wikis could be more effort and resources than they are worth but thought it worth considering.

It's already in the works :)

Well, actually, whilst searching for information on the z-drugs the other day I happened upon another forum which you may or may not be aware of called drugs-forum.co.uk.

If you have a look at this site: here you will get an idea of what I was suggesting.

I think a library such as the example at drugs-forum.co.uk would bring BL from simply a chat site up to a full on research resource, which would be especially useful for HR purposes.

I am actually very surprised at how well the site works. It is not exactly what I was suggesting, but it will give you a good idea of what I was trying to covey.

But what of copyright? I really can't say? I can only suggest that if we were to do something like this that we would need to ask permission to make this information public.

It may well be more work than it is worth, especially when there are other resources out there doing similar things.

I do like BL however, and have an interest in seeing it prosper over the coming years.

Maybe I am a bit ahead of myself thinking that we could do this without funding?

I'd like to see a banned thread, detailing briefly why people were banned.

Pour enourager les autres, and because i see posters who i've been reading for years suddenly have an ex-bluelighter below their name.

^ It's none of your buisness why they got banned :)

If there banned they obviously didn't follow the rules :\

Ernestrome said:
I'd like to see a banned thread, detailing briefly why people were banned.

Pour enourager les autres, and because i see posters who i've been reading for years suddenly have an ex-bluelighter below their name.

ex-bluelighter.

and, as lilc mentioned, the reasons for someone being banned remain confidential, of sorts. check out that thread that i linked for you.

this has probably been mentioned, but the search engine could do with some improvements. Terms like "2c-b" don't work.

the shroomery has the number of unread replies between brackets in the replies column next to the total number of replies. It is quite convenient.

a list of all posts you ever made, accessible from the user control panel, would be nice.

donvliet said:
a list of all posts you ever made, accessible from the user control panel, would be nice.
It already is - "Find More Posts by donvliet" - well, it's in your profile, not control panel. Or, simply click on your (or anyone's) username here and scroll down to the same link "Find More Posts by..." as mentioned.

I'm going to make a program that gives you pop up notification's coming out of the system tray for bluelight, sorta like the AIM notifications when your buddys sign on and off except it will give you new post/ new thread notifications :D

SA said:
It already is - "Find More Posts by donvliet" - well, it's in your profile, not control panel. Or, simply click on your (or anyone's) username here and scroll down to the same link "Find More Posts by..." as mentioned.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I go to my profile? (without first having to find a post by myself)