• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Good things about being off drugs/getting sober

I feel good talking with others. When doing drugs, life is mundane until you get the fix. Without drugs, life begins to be meaningful at times that don't at all involve drugs. It's a worthwhile mystery to live without recreational drugs.

Enjoying the small things again...l finally started the Game of Thrones series so that will keep me occupied. I stopped reading when l was high all the time.

I've been getting into reading again after a long hiatus. So glad I can enjoy it again.

I've been getting into reading again after a long hiatus. So glad I can enjoy it again.

Me too! It's kind of like falling in love again:) l used to read encyclopedias when l ran out of books as a child...l would have LOVED the internet.

No longer compulsively looking out my window while simultaneously refreshing the tracking page for my shipment that should've arrived hours ago..

RC users know what I'm saying.

Fuck rc's! who knows what you'll end up with
doing weights , every time they get easier and you don't feel like you are having a heart attack.
Lasting more than 3 or 4 mins on top.
Clearer head
thousands later

Last edited:
Never waking up dope sick !
A soul and personality!
Genuine friends...

and ORGASMS! 8 years of dope and methodone KILLED my sex drive. BUT 'just bc you don't use it, don 't mean you will lose it' and I am making up for each and every one I missed out on ha.

Having a relationship with my beautiful girlfriend instead of just having a relationship with drugs. And I probably would never have gotten to meet her or fall in love with her like I have if I had decided to keep ordering drugs like I almost did. But I said NO, I made a change in my life and got clean, and now I have everything I could ever dream of with her. But if I hadn't gotten clean I seriously doubt I would have gotten a chance with her. But fortunately I am clean, almost 10 weeks clean from psychedelics, and almost 2 weeks clean from weed, and I will never go back to using drugs again because now I have a girlfriend that deserves a boyfriend who doesn't harm myself or our relationship with drug use. Now I have something in my life with my girlfriend that gets me way higher naturally than any drug ever got me. And if I ever chose to use drugs again it would only threaten to take her away from me. This I will never stand for. I need her in my life. I couldn't stand to lose her. I need to stay clean. I will stay clean. For the sake of both of us. I will never do her wrong, I will never use again.

Pros.:
Memory working better. Determination, better looks. Not having to worry about your next dose, or when you´ll need to update your supply.
Great economic results! More money to spend with other things.
Not having to worry every time you need to fly home.
Cons.:
Craving, sadness (depression?), mood swings. But all pretty manageable.

Oh man, I am so very glad I found this thread.

- Falling asleep. Deeply, naturally. For 8+ hours.

- Walking my daughter to school on these beautiful fall mornings and being entirely present with her.

- NEVER having to lie again!

- Sitting down to dinner with my partner, and be able to look in his eyes without feeling ashamed

When i find myself up against struggle i improve my life significantly as compared to diving hard with some wacked self pity justification bullet head piercing my decent.

Last edited:
For me, it's not walking up still drunk. Because when that would happen, the only way to make myself feel better would be to take another drink, which would set off another day's cycle of drinking and passing out. A week plus later I'd inevitably end up doing a painful self-detox if it wasn't too bad. Other times I'd admit myself to an emergency room and be medically detoxed.

No more mad dash dopesick drives on the florida turnpike slowing only to pass the highway patrol station....no more scary weaving in and out of traffic and dropping to third gear to burst ahead of a slow moving truck...actually that was quite exhilarating driving...I'm sure I will like it a lot more sober.

No more cigarette burns on my clothes.

^YES! No more pajamas with random burn holes in them, so wonderful! And no more cigarette burns on the driver's side ceiling of my car :p ;)

Ughhh the fucking cigarette burns. Seriously tho I only have like one shirt that DOESNT have at the very least one burn hole on it. My blankets and sheets are covered in them... I really need to go shopping for some new clothes and blankets..
Hey so that can be one, actually having money to buy new clothes and blankets!

Last edited:
And pooping normally. That still gets to me. Makes me tear up a little with joy once a day. I had a friend in college who would smoke one of my cigarettes every day at around the same time after class, and by the time she was halfway through it she'd get up and immediately run off to her secret the bathroom. Now I know what that is like %)

Yep being regular rocks! I am totally gunna make a t-shirt with a cartoony colon and a cartoony picture of a dude high fiving and it says "being regular rocks!"

How about not counting your money in tens anymore?

Lol, you mean in quarters out of a paper coffee cup right? :p

How about having your own room, a safe stable place to stay and a roof over your head? That's something far to many of us take for granted, regardless of whether we've lived under other circumstances. Everything become 100x more difficult when you don't have housing.

I would say the absolute best thing for me, is just not waking up shaking in a pool of sweat. Too sick to even hit myself, would have to muscle it then wait a little bit til I felt good enough to actually hit a vein. It's still weird and really new to me, I wake up and am almost confused, like why do I feel okay?

That is SO fucking awesome JG!!! I'm really proud of you! And I'm sure thay you are quite the inspiration for many here who read your posts. Keep up the amazing work girl! :) <3