• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Golf Golf Thread

played on saturday at sunridge golf course in carson city, nv.

had a great round:

golfscorecard03.png

8 pars on the front!

that double on 4 was annoying. it's a pretty easy par 3 but there's nothing but water between the tee and the green:

sunridge_hole4.png

the wind was in my face and i didn't take enough club - i was about a yard short and put it in the pond. hit my 3rd from the drop and missed the 15' bogey save putt by an inch. oh well :(

i was over in scotland in february and shipped my dad's golf clubs back to tahoe. i've been using them over my old clubs and my game is improving.

the driver and 3 wood are now taylormade sim max:

simmax01.png

it took me a while to get the hang of them over my old cobra king f9 but i'm now hitting both better and further than the cobras.

i have a 3, 4 & 5 hybrid - cobra bafflers. they are older clubs but again, while it took a little while to adjust from my old callaway steelhead hybrids, i am hitting them better now:

cobrabaffler01.png

irons are mizuno jpx ez:

mizunojpxez01.png

and finally i switched from my beloved nike method midnight putter to a classic old odyssey white hot 2 ball and i absolutely love it:

odysseytwoball01.png

that's the update!

alasdair

Finally hit the range.. holy crap I have never hit so bad.. sighned up for a few lessons.. this better be rust.

golf drives me crazy.

i've had a good two or three months with lots of rounds in the low 80s. one 80 and a 77, my entire game has abandoned me overnight. i played saturday and sunday this past weekend and shot 92 and 100. nothing working - drives going 150 yards, shanking irons all over the place and my absolutely least favorite shot in all of golf - blading chips across the green.

everything is off and i just don't know how and why it changes so dramatically so quickly...

alasdair

I hear you ali.. @alasdairm take a lesson. The pros have full time coaches. Mine today they took video of my whole swing analyzed it with him and all the other screen stuff. Worked on shit.. ended up rolling 90+ on head speed with a much easier motion.

So yes.. now I need to incorporate the swing change into muscle memory to make it effortless.. things are looking up.

yeah, i'm just worried that i've been playing so long the same way that unlearning bad habits is going to just be impossible...

alasdair

yeah, i'm just worried that i've been playing so long the same way that unlearning bad habits is going to just be impossible...

alasdair
I get it.. was thinking the same ali.. maybe give it a minute and see if you just come back around. but you were just playing amazing.. so you may just be looking to get back to where you were plus a bit.. could take ten swings?

yeah, it's happened before and it'll come back. it's frustrating as hell.

alasdair

watching it right now - i’m about an hour behind.

alasdair

Flying it 300 y in the air frequently after the lesson.. 170 y easy swing on the 7.. obviously figuring out my clubs at this point.. off to the range

very nice. what did you learn from your lesson?

my game remains in the basement but it's coming back slowly.

i failed to qualify for the ncga public links last thursday but it was in sacramento and it was 106 degrees... 18 went through and i finished 21st. but, i am the third and last alternate so if 3 people drop out, i'm in :)

our club matchplay championship starts next week and i have my first round match tuesday. first time i am playing somebody with a higher handicap so i'm giving him pops - i'm 15.7 and he's 17.9 so he gets 3.

game on!

alasdair

So I was a "happy Gilmore" golfer... or a hockey player golfing..

So if we look at a slap shot we see hip transfer, but not as major as can be done in golf. This is because I and the ball are stable and no one ie trying to destroy me. So I do not need to worry or take a physical stance intended to protect me from this or maintain fluid rapid movement on the rink.

So with this concept in mind.. I don't have to worry about a 200lb+ defender pancaking me mid shot while im traveling 15+ mph. This opens up my back foot as I no longer need to assure that stability. So easier swing driven by the hips but not based off a back foot plant.

He also adjusted my grip. I was holding the club way to hard.. he said my hands will naturally grip the club well enough as I proceed through the swing. He also changed the dynamic extending my top thumb and rotating the entire grip about 5 to 10 degrees clockwise.

He put me closer to the ball.. so much more over the ball so my own body doesn't interfere with my swing.

So average distance for a 7 is 145y.. im hitting it 170y easy and can rip it 180y np..

getting my distance down now is feeling so good.. makes me smile,

Last edited:
awesome man - good for you!

So easier swing driven by the hips

check.

He also changed the dynamic extending my top thumb and rotating the entire grip about 5 to 10 degrees clockwise.

check. i strengthened my grip last year and it made a big difference to my fade. i still fade it but now it's more of a natural turnover-once.

can't wait for the us open.

i put a bet on xander shauffele - it's about time he won one :)

alasdair

Last edited:
yeah, tough day for everybody.

i think the road to a win there is knowing it's going to tough and mistakes will be made but grinding it out. and that's where the guys like rahm and mcilroy should thrive. scheffler had a nightmare back 9 and still kind of held it together to stay within 4.

fitzpatrick looked great and it's only a matter of time before zalatoris wins his first, maybe a major.

i wouldn't be surprised to see rahm take it.

alasdair

played my match yesterday (i'm in the mens club at my local course and we play tournaments, with all kinds of different formats, throughout the summer. my favourite tournament of the year is the president's cup - a single elimination, net match-play event).

as i mentioned i've been playing like crap lately so i had to step it up:

golfscorecard04.png

89 is not great but it's better than my last few rounds.

i was 1 up after #1. he stroked on #4 so back to all square. #5 - usually a good hole for me was a disaster (2 shots to escape a bunker) and a 3-putt on 6 left me 2 down. we pushed #8 and i won #9 so i was 1 down at the turn.

i won #10 and #11 (missed the green but nearly jarred my chip leaving it 1 inch from the hole) so i'm back to 1 up. he stroked on #12 but he struggled there and i won it with a bogey.

he stroked again on #13 but i won it to get 2 up. i won #15 so i am 3 up with 3 to play.

#16 is my favourite hole. crushed my drive but second shot missed green short right. i bogeyed it and so did he so i took the match 3&2.

on to the next round where i am playing a 10-handicapper and get 5 pops.

alasdair